Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Is GameStop Monkey like an actual job that's in high demand or whatever? Around here, GameStop hires the people who are too dumb to work at McDonald's and pays them accordingly, and anytime I've ever known one of the employees they've been like "yeah there's all this stuff we're supposed to do but since it's so hard to keep employees here period nobody actually gives a poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
EB Games and GameStop are literally the same thing since like 2004 I thought? At least in America.

I don't doubt that they have quotas and such but in my experience a lot of that stuff is blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if all these anonymous employees talking to Kotaku are Record Store Clerk types.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

They're absolutely not. Like I said this poo poo had been going on for decades and you can ask any Gamestop employee. At best it depends on how much of a shithead their manager or their manager's manager is.

I mean, I said I have known GameStop employees recently though. I'm totally aware that things vary by location, which is why I was surprised in the first place - the manager of the one by me legitimately doesn't fire people for quotas because, as I said, he has an insane problem with keeping people and the people that do want to work there are Record Store Clerks (meaning, they want to do as little work as possible and think that because they know a lot about obscure Japanese video games they should be Assistant Manager).

I wasn't being flip when I said they hire the people who are too lazy or stupid to work a fast food job. That's literally who they hire here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's almost no reason anyone with Internet access should use GameStop unless you just want to impulse buy fifty used Wii games for ten bucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Comic book stores often have used games way cheaper than GameStop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got to the one sewer level in pillars last night and laughed because I'd actually forgotten it has a sewer level

So only half the people (47%) who bought yakuza 0 have beaten chapter 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
uh

so the end of chapter 4 in yakuza 0

i... oh... what... oh man :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder how much they got paid to write an article letting people know that Nioh is totally the most loving hardcore game in a decade holy poo poo dudes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

Henry Rollins has managed to build an entire career out of being smarter than you'd expect him to be. Which doesn't mean much.

I'd say it's more that his shtick is being more emotionally crippled by low self esteem than you'd expect. A fun game to play is "Rollins poem or LiveJournal entry?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:eyepop:

that's amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ekster posted:

I think we can all agree that No Man's Sky is a different kind of tragedy.

The Foundation update actually made it a really good game. The proc-gen was tweaked, resulting in more things like massive canyons, craters, big mountains, beaches, planets with bigger oceans, etc.

At the same time, the base building gives you missions (very similar to Dragon Quest Builders in a way) which give you a much cooler sense of progression (for example, you can no longer mine everything right off the bat, some things require Advanced Mining Lasers or Hazmat Gloves to harvest).

It's more like the game I wanted, now, and I hope the ground vehicles get implemented soon because driving across these planets would be great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Instead of doing yet another trilogy playthrough on PS3, I'm considering picking up the Mass Effect games on PC. My question is, are there any good mods that significantly change the games up?

e: oh poo poo, 3DS Wooly World is out? I think I'll pick that up instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

What the gently caress do you guys do to your headphones? I certainly don't take care of mine...

I was gonna say, I have a pair of lovely $40 Logitech wireless headphones that I use for gaming, streaming, recording vocals, and even sometimes sit in the floor in front of an amp to record guitar parts and they've lasted 2 years with no sign of wear and tear at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would kill for a pair of headphones that are legitimately comfortable over the course of 2+ hours. I don't have weird big ears or whatever but man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Megatokyo

oh my god gently caress you I had managed to go like 10 years without thinking of that poo poo

my ex-fiance used to read it religiously. thankfully my current wife only likes good anime like Chi and Spice and Wolf

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm living in a world of yarn and happiness and I'm never coming back

Oh poo poo, yeah I need to go grab my copy of Wooly World 3DS, thanks for reminding me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

Wooly World is the one video game I was able to play while tripping on acid and it was amazing.

I tried playing Starcraft on acid way back around 2001 and it was a very not good idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw both Cowboy Bebop and the Vampire Hunter D movies in theater, both times we were the only two in the place. Then again those were both around 2000 and anime had not yet really infected Knoxville

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god world of final fantasy is far too drat cute

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Different parts of the US are different. Southern California is as different to Georgia as Scotland is to Russia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So since I still boot up the old PS3 now and then to comfort-play Mass Effect (all of them! trilogy playthroughs only! :shepicide: ) I downloaded this month's free game Anna - Extended Edition

this is the worst game I have played since the 90s, no kidding

within a minute of starting i was reading a journal entry about how rape was super common and cool among medieval knights and then solving really bad pixel hunt puzzles. I think Sony is just checking to see if anyone is paying attention

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vice did the worst documentary on the Gathering of the Juggalos, which is really saying a lot. How you gently caress that up?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Remember to take a fifteen minute break every hour of playing games, everyone!

Does anyone actually do this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

do you not?

I take lots of small breaks to like, you know, piss or get another glass of water or pack a bowl.

That said it's extremely rare for me to even play any one game for more than 2 hours at a time so it's not an issue really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

Hello, it's your dad. You've been out there for a long time now... It may be none of my business, but don't you think it would be a good idea if you took a
break?

Hello, dad? I'm in jail. Jail, dad. I like it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJEwo_gwO9M

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

LMAO if you don't play with a controller based on your main's primary weapon

If this is 100% real then this in fact owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're gonna wait until the holidays for a sweet Switch bundle, neither of us like 3D Zelda games enough to get it immediately. Plus, you know, the literal 50 games in my backlog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
guys help i'm addicted to playing Dragon Quest Bingo in 3DSDQ8

i swear i'll stop as soon as i can afford that baller staff, just 700 tokens to go

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i got super lucky and i've already won 3400 tokens, enough for the staff and some leftover, which is enough for me

though i really resent the game throwing a huge city at me while i'm drinking, i just want to go in a dungeon and kill poo poo while watching Baskets, not find the twenty god dang seven hidden treasures Yangus told me are in this shithole

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I got all excited but then realized I already own all the really really good ones on there. But anyone who doesn't holy poo poo this is amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh God, this is the best possible ending to that story. Now do Star Citizen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mass Effect 2 is free right now on Origin (ewwwww) if you're one of the two people that's never played it (or like me you want to play it on PC for a change)

Of course it only comes with Zaeed, you'll have to pay like a total of $10 to get Kasumi and the weapon packs if you want them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda literally comes out next month and there's almost zero hype for it, we know almost nothing about what it is, except you can date a cat alien thing in it and the combat has becomes a cross between Mass Effect 2 and Vanquish-Lite

Well then we do know something about the game, we know that it will own.

Seriously though I'm very excited because making the story "ME1 and 2 combined, again" works for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually think that Andromeda is getting a low-key launch because megahype made Dragon Age 2 the funniest game release of all time and then it went ahead and turned out to be about $20 worth of a weird side-story that made them drop their naming scheme entirely out of embarrassment.

The hype for Inquisition wasn't nearly as bombastic in tone ("awesome button", "bloodier, sexier") and really was not as big in sheer presence either. They made a decent game to redeem the series and appeared to try and let that largely speak for itself.

So I think they're trying something similar with Andromeda. Basically, either:

1. Andromeda is really, really fuckin' good, and they know that, so they're going easy on the hype in order to recapture that sense of awe that players of ME1 and especially ME2 felt. So, in other words, they're Force Awakening it, which is apt since ME really is the Star Wars of video games. The sheer broad appeal of the games is sometimes easy to ignore when faced with literally dozens of Kotaku articles about how bad the ending of ME3 was, but you gotta remember Joe Default Shepard Soldier Player the Filthy Casual is where they make their money, they do not make nearly as much off of Jim'myy the Tali Sweat Analyzer because there actually are not that many of those people, they just make a lot of noise on the Internet.

2. Andromeda is really, really fuckin' mediocre with an insanely fun multiplayer that's worth $60 all by itself.

I'm cool with either one happening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

What's likelier is that the game blows and they're banking on making most of their money from preorders and week one purchases based on the Mass Effect branding

I'm not saying that's impossible, but if that was the case they would be doing the Dragon Age 2 Dance all over again because if it really is that bad, they know sales will drop like a rock and they should be generating tons of hype to get those day one sales.

Like I know it's cool to dog on Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, literally every game publisher, but just in recent memory we had Watch_Dogs 2 turn out to be fantastic, DA: Inquisition was absolutely fine and for some people who really like offline MMO style gameplay it was actually rather amazing in its scope - it's one of the largest RPGs this side of Witcher 3 or Skyrim, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that people who make games, by and large, are aware if they have made something good or something bad. If Andromeda is bad, they have nothing to gain and much to lose by not hyping it. If it were bad, I think they would delay it some more because everyone is already stunned that it's coming out so soon anyway.

If Andromeda is good - and especially the multiplayer part, which is where they're planning on making most of their money - then it makes sense to underhype it because, again, they know that part of what made people love ME1 and especially ME2 was how surprising those games were, for the time, both in quality and technical razzmatazz

goddamn I type a lot on my days off *bong rip*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

"good faith" seems like a stretch after ME3.

I can assure you that the breakdown of people's opinions about ME3 goes something like this:

75% "gently caress yeah the combat was so much better, I don't remember if I finished it though"
20% "That ending was dumb, who cares I'm gonna solo Hydra/Platinum with a Drell Adept"
4% "Worst. Ending. Ever. But I dunno, the Extended Version made it not as bad."
1% "I am literally not going to buy Andromeda purely because of the final hour of a 100 hour trilogy."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

(Might be a spoiler in retrospect if it turns out to come to pass) You are a robutt the entire time. Or at least an android. Cyborg. Half-person, half-machine.

I mean the main character's name is Aloy.

That sounds like something that could be true but not be a big twist, like it's something you find out halfway through the game so you can unlock a new tree of skills and moves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

At this point I have to believe this Twitter is actually employed by SEGA in some way that ensures plausible deniability. Like, the guy probably gets paid in cash once a month by a mysterious man in an eyepatch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
picked up The Ezio Collection, and goddamn I forgot how fun Assassin's Creed used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dragon Age: Origins was a fun RPG but I can never bring myself to replay it because there is a whole lot of jank and bullshit. And also the Deep Roads.

• Locked thread