Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, well, well. Look what it is. The Gen-Con Thread. Never thought I would see you again.

Without further ado, DR. QUAREX
...and...
the SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS
welcome you to.....................
GEN CON 2017!!!

Wait hold on this is n--

oh no. I am, of course, not good with computers, let me try to get the right picture p

ah dammit what

ugh

O.K.

GEN-CON!!!

THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN GAMING,
actually, more like
THE BEST FOUR DAYS OF THE YEAR,
and really,
THE BEST FIVE-SEVEN DAYS OF THE YEAR DEPENDING ON HOW EARLY YOU DECIDE TO GET TO INDIANAPOLIS AND JOIN THE 60,000+ GAMERS TURNING IT INTO AN ALMOST-LITERAL GAMETOPIA

Whether you are into boardgames, role-playing games, collectible trading card games, collectible deck-building games, collectible soup-eating, the biggest (like football-field-or-bigger) room full of nerdy things to buy you will ever see, kosupure, vidja, terrible Apples to Apples knockoffs, foam weapon jousting, poorly-timed nerd trivia, live-action dungeon-crawl-pretending, infinite food, tiny metal figurines, the animes, fursuits or whatever, or just into THE BEST AUCTION IN THE UNIVERSE, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

Whether you live in CONSTANT FEAR OF HUMAN CONTACT or CANNOT STOP TOUCHING OTHERS EVEN AFTER SPENDING TIME IN JAIL FOR IT, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

Gen Con Indy posted:

A consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community. Gen Con Indy is the largest annual consumer fantasy, electronic, sci-fi, adventure and hobby game convention in North America. Each year gaming enthusiasts converge to share their love for all things gaming, from tournaments to guest appearances, exhibit hall booths to electronic games, workshops, seminars, anime, art shows, auctions and countless other activities.

YES, WE HAVE IT ALL AT OLD GENNECONNE TOWNE:

FUN!

GAMES!

PRIZES!

GEN-CON!

UNFATHOMABLE SORROW!
actually this is pretty awesome
Wh
hey Infrno how is your roleplaying 2.0 going? oh... oh my god it still exists, I am impressed

CHILL VAMPIRES!

Once upon a time, Gen-Con's event schedule looked like this, in case you were thinking that reading the current event charts was annoying:

This process taught me that IMGur has a seeming 10 megabyte upload limit for photos. I realize I am an idiot for making scans of old magazines that are this big.

Anyway,
I am going to make the second post the "learn about how to Gen-Con" post so I can get this post made, since... BADGES ARE ON SAAAAAAAAAAALE

I will also probably continually expand the pictures in this post, particularly if we get the legendary "pictures from last year" that I am unable to provide for a change. But rest assured, to the best of my knowledge I am having zero babies during Gen-Con this year and thus will be able to attend (though I am, as always, open to receiving Eihort's Brood)

OH YEAH AND IT TAKES PLACE AUGUST 17 - 20, 2017

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Q. WHEN IS IT?
A. Dude I already said, August 17-20, 2017.

Events officially start Wednesday night in a very small number (I think limited to a couple of parties and other informational events?) and then Thursday morning at 8 A.M. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and events run constantly until Sunday afternoon at 6 P.M. Or maybe it is only 5, but I feel like some things start at 4 and go 2 hours. Whatever, you will be dead by then anyway.

Sort of related, here is an Android thing for maps and events and stuff that does seem to get updated every year: THE UNOFFICIAL 2014 GEN CON APP

Q. WHAT DO I DO THERE?
A. THERE IS LITERALLY NO END TO THE JOY YOU CAN EXPERIENCE WHILE THERE

SO MUCH NO LIMIT THAT I AM NOT EVEN WRITING THIS SECTION YET BUT I WILL FILL IT IN SOON oh but in the meantime have a few choice posts from previous years:

camoseven posted:

:guinness: GENERAL INDY BEER INFO :guinness:
I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

Q. HOW DO I GET THERE?
A. Trains? Planes? Automobiles? Not the bus, though. Oh man. Never the bus. Well, O.K., bus if you must.

Most people do not recommend the Indianapolis airport, mostly because it is expensive and there are not all that many flights, but it certainly is still an airport you can use, and the shuttle to downtown is (supposedly? I think?) pretty good, if you wanted to stay at an airport hotel and roll that way, which would probably remain a viable choice up until right before the convention. Probably.

Also our official GroupMe room is probably still going, I did not have the heart to reinstall it after finding out I could not go last year and I should probably get around to that again huh:

Q. WHO AM I?
A. Everyone must learn to answer this question on their own.

Q. SHOULD I BRING ANYTHING?
A. Well, yes. I made this list in the past and I will just copy it verbatim
  • Dice
  • Chargers for what ails ya (phone, laptop, tablet, tableau, plateau, mesa)
  • Batteries, failing to remember your chargers
  • iGizmos/Cameras/Phones/Whatever
  • Googies (my Mom's aphasiac word for "snacks to eat on the go")
  • Hand sanitizer FOR EMERGENCIES
  • Notepads(tm) (hey, I take notes on my phone too, but sometimes paper comes up)
  • Pens/pencils
  • Black AND Silver(!) Sharpies for autographs on light or dark surfaces(!!!)
  • YOUR MEDICINE/PAINKILLERS/BANDAGES/INSULIN/TESTOSTERONE
  • Probably some insoles or gel inserts or foam blocks to walk on or whatever
MORE OPTIONAL
  • Collapsible/lightweight water bottle with flavored beverage pouches
  • Gum!
  • Splenda, mayonnaise, and hot sauce packets: The Condiment Trifecta
  • TRAVEL CUTLERY KIT!!!!!
  • Suggested Road Food For Travellers On Facebook Page: Quest Nutrition Quest Bars(tm[tm])

Q. WHY DO I WANT TO GO?
A. Because... well first off if none of what has already been said interests you then I LITERALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY OR HOW, but furthermore, Gen-Con is somehow even more than the sum of its parts, and its parts are so amazing on their own that they are sufficient on their own to draw a crowd as well. But some sort of magical exponential joy-growth occurs within a 1-mile radius of downtown Indianapolis during Gen-Con, and it is like everyone everywhere has a good time no matter how hard they try to be unhappy (and we know some nerds do try very hard). I am someone who is pretty happy a lot of the time, but I am still not sure I am ever quite so excited for an extended period of time as I am when at Gen-Con.

Q. Do you have some sort of LIST OF INTERNET-BASED AUDIO BROADCASTS ON THE SUBJECT
A. No.

8one6 posted:

We recorded a Tips for Gen Con episode for our podcast a couple of years ago, if you want to listen it's here. (I've skipped it past the unrelated spotlight at the beginning.)

My podcast just posted out Tips for Gen Con episode here!

Edit: I should mention the episode features fellow goon Bucnasti!

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-2014 Gen Con 2014

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-1 Gen Con 2013

If you want '12, '11, or '10 let me know and I can upload them to soundcloud when I get home tonight.

Quarex posted:

I did a few guest stints on some friends' INTERNET AUDIO BROADCAST a few years back, and one of the times they wanted me to come in was when they were doing a Gen-Con special. My favorite moment of the entire thing starts at 38:50 when the guy who has never gone to Gen-Con asks about vices ... and ... oh god. The resolution still makes me happy.

If you want to skip an entirely unfortunate discussion of the female attractiveness at the convention over the years (I always have to pick my battles), avoid 03:00 to 06:00.

OR ALTERNATELY PODBEAN SUCKS AND DELETED ALL ITS SHOWS FROM BEFORE SOME POINT IN 2011, COOL THANKS INTERNET #1

Q. WHAT IS FOOD
A. PLACES EVERYONE SEEMS TO SUGGEST YOU EAT IN THE AREA:

Firstly, a map showing all the places to eat close to the Convention center. The closest food to the convention itself is likely in the form of food trucks on Georgia Street (right outside the uhh East entrance I think). I have heard basically only good things about all of those trucks though I have not tried them myself yet.
  • The Ram (brewpub with gamer-themed menu, albeit one that has been slacking off in recent years due to...)
  • Scotty's Brewhouse (...the old manager at the Ram moving here and taking his gamer-enthusiasm with him)
  • Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, though Lawen would kill me if I did not mention St. Elmo Steakhouse in the same breath
  • And speaking of St. Elmo, after 2015, Harry & Izzy's actually became my favorite place to eat in Indianapolis, because as Mudcrab Merchant points out, it is basically the food from St. Elmo (connected next door) but at a fraction of the price.
  • First Watch (I have not been there but apparently it has the FRESHEST INGREDIENTS despite being a chain)
  • Patachou (closes at like 3 P.M., but legitimately amazing quality breakfast/lunch)
  • STEAK 'N' SHAKE BECAUSE I AM FROM NORMAL, ILLINOIS AND I WILL BE PROUD OF OUR HOMETOWN CREATION UNTIL THE DAY I DIE
  • Bacon Legs & Turntables, suggested by ME because IT IS CALLED BACON LEGS & TURNTABLES (they feature each of those three things, you see [who cares {just go <yes>}]) ugh what cruel deity closed this place before I could ever even go there
  • Haveli is the most commonly Goon-recommended Indian place. Certainly it is good, and they apparently have a lunch buffet, if you are some sort of "lunch-eater."
  • Prime 47, if you want to go a little farther for some food you also cannot afford. I remember going here with my then-girlfriend once and it was very good, but we also felt strange eating somewhere so fancy while wearing Hawaiian shirts.
  • And Yard House is heartily recommended by RADIO FREE WALRUS
  • Thanks to CellBlock, we now know that

CellBlock posted:

there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place
    , conveniently located in the Circle Centre Mall (also known as "the thing that you always walk past near the Convention Center but quite possibly have never gone into that has the movie theater")
  • PLUS apparently Café Patachou has opened a pizzeria called Napolese Pizzeria which is also seemingly in the Circle Center Mall so I need to eat there RIGHT NOW

If you are one of the 1% of attendees able to walk under her/his own power, here are some of the best Indianapolis restaurants that are still technically walkable but are probably like a mile away or so:
  • Milktooth, suggested by DJFooBoo as the "head chef is a James Beard award winner who focuses on breakfast/brunch. Holy poo poo you should eat there dumbass!" Thanks ;(
  • MacNivens for Great Scotch Eggs!
  • Mesh on Mass is "spectacular" THAT IS ALL I KNOW
  • Not gonna lie, I have wanted to go to The Rathskeller ever since Gen-Con first moved, as it somehow got talked up as the single place you absolutely must go that was not close to the convention. Needless to say I have therefore never gone, but I DO love me some good German food.
  • Bazbeaux for pizza
  • Bakersfield for tacos...!??
  • Bru Burger for ... burgers
  • Bluebeard sounds like a pretty amazing place with a constantly-changing menu
  • Union 50 sounds delicious though it has LIVE MUSIC so BEWARE
  • Shapiro's Delicatessen made a list of the best 25 restaurants in Indianapolis so just go there already
  • Long's Bakery for THE BEST DONUTS APPARENTLY
  • Fogo De Chao to gorge on unlimited top-notch steak and other meaty gubbins

Here is VISIT INDY'S list of all its restaurants that have appeared on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (a show on the Food Network here in The America). Oh and looking at the list in 2017 it appears they added/I never noticed the places featured on Man vs. Food, Eat Street, Top 5 Restaurants, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Repeat offenders from Goon recommendations on these these lists: St. Elmo Steakhouse and Milktooth. Guess those two really are awesome.

And here we have VISIT INDY's list of its TOP 25 LOCAL RESTAURANTS! Several Gen-Con/this post favorites show up, including Café Patachou, Scotty's Brewhouse, Bazbeaux, and St. Elmo.

Q. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER GENERIC TIPS FOR ME
A. YES AND YES I DID STEAL THE IDEA FOR THIS SECTION FROM LAST YEAR'S EXCELLENT COMIC CON THREAD

Oh but first LuiCypher wrote a GUIDE

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh. I don't know what compelled me to do this, but here's the quintessential GenCon Housing Guide based upon both my experiences and those of other goons in this thread for TYOOL 2017. Let me know if you think I missed anything major.
  • If you are not in good enough shape to be on your feet for hours a day and to walk about a dozen miles over the course of several days, you might want to get on that. For reasons entirely unrelated to the convention, generally, but in this case specifically for the convention.
  • Having cash-money can be very valuable, as some vendors in the exhibit hall are not equipped to take credit cards (though this is increasingly less common in the era of Square), and others will give you a discount for using cash (the Auction/Auction Store in particular charges the full credit card fee so that the sellers are not penalized for the payment method). There are ATMs but of course they are frequently out of cash on convention days, so plan ahead!
  • The Comic Con thread suggests the 6/2/1 rule, though I prefer the 5/3/1 rule, but the idea is the same: Sleep at least 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1 shower every day. Honestly, if you can handle going a long time without eating, I suggest taking advantage of your hotel's free breakfast buffet (you should stay at a hotel with a free breakfast buffet) and stuffing yourself silly and then trying to make it until dinner time, since nearby businesses are often packed during lunchtime and ending up missing two quality hours of the exhibit hall just to eat a sandwich seems like a bad deal to me. And yes, this is often called the "3/2/1" rule, but seriously, I have never seen anyone consistently sleep ~3 hours a night and not end up literally passing out AT THE GAMING TABLE by day three.
  • Be like me and buy this bag and bring it with you because it rules. Or if you must, just make sure you have some other equally-sturdy bag; do not be one of those rolling-suitcase-in-packed-crowd jerks. Edit: Thanks for pointing out the broken link Admiral Joeslop and thanks Deviant for immediately linking to it
  • Oh if you are into this kind of thing here are the relevant links: Gen Con Official Twitterrrrrr, Gen Con Indy Official FAAaaAAaacebOoOOOK, Wizards of the Coast's Gen-Con Retrospective Page
  • Oh neat and they also have a Jon Peterson-authored timeline of important Dungeons & Dragons events; this is pretty Gen-Con-related
  • Slandible posted:

E>> One other thing I would suggest I didn't see in the OP, is dressing in layers. I know it's the middle of summer and you're going to be packed into the center like cattle, but by around 8 pm, a large amount of people start leaving. And by close to midnight, all the AC units in the place turn it into a giant meat locker. I froze my rear end off the first night.
  • GO TO GEN CON. GO TO GEN CON.
  • GO. TO. GEN. CON.

And see you there.

(Thanks Nesbit37)

(Thanks Bottom Liner)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainRat posted:

A vicious subtweet of your good friend :mad:
You deserve death for your insolence.

At least I did not mention that you fell asleep holding the die in your hand over the table while awaiting your combat turn

Pray that I do not reveal any more information

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I heard you when you shouted it earlier Dr. Quarex)
I knew that some true believer out there would hear my plea.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I'm surprised you don't have Yard House on your grub list. Place is pretty good, is fairly spacious, and is basically ignored during the lunch rush.
I have no idea what the Yard House is. Is this something people discovered last year, also known as The Year I Refused To Believe Indianapolis Existed? Addin'

nesbit37 posted:

uh, dates are off. Its the 17th-20th, are you trying to get everyone to book hotels on the wrong days so you get them all to yourself, Quarex?
YES

I probably copied something from my archived 2014 post and moved it around enough that I forgot it was not from this year. It basically took me an entire week to make those posts since BABY and WORKING OUT OF STATE and PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE

8one6 posted:

I think the company sponsoring the beanbags dropped out because they weren't there the last two years. They were super nice though.
NOOOOOOOoooo yeah what was it, Xsomething... XORBEE! This reminds me that not only was I not there in 2016, but I was not a VIG companion in 2015 ;( ;( ;(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Top notch OPs.

I'm not going to kill you Quarex, PhD since you did mention StElmos in the same breath but for reals, Ruth's Chris is FINE and if you live in bumfuck nowhere and don't have good steak houses near you, it's a treat for sure. If you do have good steak houses near you and you want a unique experience, StElmos with their weird navy bean soup and excellent beef is something special.
Thanks for the praise and for not killing me. It is true that my own minimal steakhouse experience as a young lad undoubtedly contributes to thinking Ruth's Chris is so good. Honestly the sides at RuCuStuHu are as much a draw for me as the steaks themselves, so perhaps a Steak Connoisseur would always know St. Elmo was superior.

Lawen posted:

Are there James Beard nominee good poo poo restaurants in Indy other than Milktooth? I like food.
Apparently "Cerulean, Milktooth, Public Greens, Recess, and Bluebeard" were all up for awards. I have never heard of the other four. Though to be fair I have already forgotten everything I wrote in the original post so they could all be recommended.

Exmond posted:

The groupme is great. Do you want to play boardgames at 2:30pm for an hour, Group me

Are you too tired to literally notice a group of goons sitting right beside you in the restaurant, groupme

Do you want to know the best places to eat, groupme
All true. Plus GroupMe is the reason Mudcrab Merchant and I are BFF; "hey I am free and bored on the second floor of the Hyatt, anyone free?" "hey, are you the person working at the desk at the end of this hall looking free and bored?" *magic*

LuiCypher posted:

Speaking of GroupMe and plans, since LotR Trivia is NO MORE at the Colts Grille on Wednesday, where will enterprising goons decide to meet on Wednesday night?
A fine question. I would like to get together an annual tradition of playing the game posted up there, and if you look carefully at the game description I think you will figure out why:

(So we could do that Wednesday night somewhere, is what I am saying. Though I suspect having one deck is a bit limiting, might need other activities)

LuiCypher posted:

Also, we should have an album of advertisements for failed/dying games that we see at GenCon. I particularly miss the Navia Dratp picture, because it's full of bluster and says absolutely nothing about the game other than... It happened.

I will never stop thinking of that as literally the worst name for a product in Gen-Con history. And yeah, probably the worst game slogan too. Kudos all around!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As someone who can envision a doctoral dissertation drawing heavily from that database, I am totally stoked.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

fordan posted:

We also need our trivia sign in the thread. Are we sure trivia is dead? I thought they moved it to Thursday or something.
Trivia is functionally dead if they moved it to Thursday. I know that is not true either in actuality or in spirit, but I am sure I am not the only person who is almost always busy at Gen-Con during normal hours after Wednesday night, thus making it a sad non-event. Plus clearly we need some gathering to replace it on Wednesday night...so, Harry & Izzy's to just gorge ourselves it is, perfect.

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyone looking to form housing pools, or is this something that should be done through groupme?
I think either place is fine, clearly not everyone will use the GroupMe plus the conversation moves quickly enough there sometimes that an effort to find housing might get swallowed by infinity.

CellBlock posted:

Anyway, I don't really have anything to add yet since Gen Con is (or at least feels like) a million years away,
GEN-CON IS ALWAYS CLOSE ENOUGH TO DISCUSS

WE CAN TALK ABOUT 2018 ALREADY IF YOU LIKE

Also thanks Lawen for calling my attention to CellBlock's Primanti Bros. comment (also, grand avatar); I see they are in the Circle Centre Mall. So Gen-Con Accessible! Wooo! Added that into the food post!

Is anyone ever going to post their photos from last year :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I would if I took any. I ODed on Gen Con last year and learned my limits. I finally tried to do too much by squeezing in both a Blood Bowl tourny and a Dropzone Commander tourny plus the other events. That and the vendor hall finally grew to a size large enough to cause an aneurysm. I don't think I gave myself time to make it fully around to every booth at least once like I usually do.
Oh dang. Sorry to hear of your great loss (of...control? POWER?). Though I am already hyperventilating imagining what the vendor hall must be like now that it is even larger. Did they absorb the former trading card area?!?! Ooooh I am so excited

I remember back when I foolishly would sign up for events and actually eat lunch at Gen-Con, I was lucky to get through the entire hall twice. Nowadaysish I try to make sure I get through the whole vendor hall once a day JUST IN CASE, because you never know what booths might pack up and leave any day.

Hmm? That does not happen anymore? Oh. Well, I am still hurting from the one year we saw awesome stuff Thursday at a booth and those people were gone by Saturday. WHAT IF IT STARTS HAPPENING AGAIN

drat RIGHT

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hoped that was the way things were progressing ever since they opened up the entry from the card area. I suppose once they had a whole new stadium to play with they figured "why not?"

Yet I somehow suspect the Auction is still crammed into a space it could easily double

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I'm torn on the auction space. On one hand, it deserves something much larger. But the selfish side of me wants to keep it crammed to keep more people out for the better deals for those willing to tough it out.
Yeah I also freely admit that the cramped space, which sizewise has not changed the entire time they have been in Indianapolis and likely was not any bigger in Wisconsin, has a sort of perpetual fun throwback feel to when the convention was not Possibly The Biggest Gaming Convention In The World, but rather when it was a few thousand super-nerds meeting to get good deals on each other's used crap.

Carteret posted:

Quarex, are you going to make TOVA great again? Your presence was sorely missed last year.
I hope so. I need to ask Josh if he is ever returning; it is doubly hard to make it great without him, as not only is he unquestionably the best at it, he has also pulled in the past for me to do the whole thing with him, whereas when he is not around it seems like everyone else thinks they would be just as good a replacement as I am. Which, egotism aside, is mostly false (though I absolutely think a couple of the other regular Auctioneers are at least as good at T.O.V.A. as I am, just not necessarily the ones who want the job).

LLSix posted:

This will be my first year at Gencon. Planning to show up with a group of friends and friends of friends. Looking forward to meeting some goons too!
WELCOME LLSIX you will undoubtedly have an opportunity to meet a substantial group of us on Wednesday night if you are there, not that we have decided where that would be yet.

We could just go to the Colts Grille anyway and pretend there is trivia. Wait, I forgot I already decided I wanted Harry & Izzy's to be our new Wednesday night hang-out place. Any Indianapolis Experts have a different suggestion? That was not supposed to sound sarcastic

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh. I don't know what compelled me to do this, but here's the quintessential GenCon Housing Guide based upon both my experiences and those of other goons in this thread for TYOOL 2017. Let me know if you think I missed anything major.

Edit: I realize it's kind of late, but I want to keep it around for next year. As I won't be attending next year, I'll be more than happy to leave it in the care of another goon to update after Housing Portal: GenCon 51 Edition. They will likely be unable to resist jiggering with how it works considering the outpouring of salt.
Hey neat, I will put this in a place where people will see it maybe!

Lump Shaker posted:

This is my first year at Gencon. Had a 2:30 time for the lottery and the best thing I could get was a hotel out at the airport. From what I have read, that is still pretty convenient and I should be able to Uber in and out pretty easily. Can't wait for the event list!
WELCOME FRESH ONE

FEET-FIRST INTO THE GRINDER PLEASE

Yeah I will not pretend an airport hotel is ideal, but the first year at Indianapolis I shamefully only made the decision to go last-minute, stayed at the Homewood Suites on the northern edge of town, drove in Saturday morning, waited in what I seem to recall was a 5-hour line due to all their computers but one being hit with a virus that shut them down, and STILL HAD A GREAT TIME so yeah, you will be happy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Quarex, I forgot I did take 1 picture at Gen Con last year! Taken at like 2pm on Saturday, I give you GenCon.jpg

Pretty sure he just dropped and passed out right there they way he is sprawled out.
I hope you checked his pulse and then looted the body.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Crackbone posted:

Why are you letting me interview you? I had to turn to internet strangers to give me questions.
:cry:

I wish I had access to my 40 Years of Gen-Con book to remember what they talked to him about there.

You should get his perspective on whether he thinks TSR were lying as significantly about attendance in the late 1990s as the Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore says they were. That sure is a niche question, huh.

I suspect you are already going to ask him about his favorite year/venue. Also ask him about favorite moments, guests, events, booths, basically anything Gen-Conny. Granted some of these questions would undoubtedly go better if he had time to prepare an answer, but I doubt you will get the chance to mail him questions ahead of time, haha.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pez posted:

What's the worst smell you've experienced at GenCon?
Honestly "some random person in the exhibit hall" has been all of the top five most horrible things I have smelled at the convention. I suspect some combination of crust punk attendees and people with no sense of smell are to blame for all of those, as I have no idea how any human being can smell so foul. Particularly since, as I implied, the awful bathrooms are comparatively muted, likely because they still have the pervasive attempt at being bleached out, unlike the people wandering around with their own personal killzone following them.

The worst thing for me is that the smell of the Gen-Con bathrooms is so specific that I have occasionally smelled something similar in other horrible overrun bathrooms elsewhere in life, and immediately thought "aww, Gen-Con!" and then also-immediately wanted to cry that a terrible stench is triggering pleasant memories.

And yeah, as Backno says, your best bet in almost all situations involving convention-nerd-hordes is to keep walking in random directions until you find virtually-abandoned hallways, and then try to find the bathrooms in those dead ends.

The bathrooms on the floor directly over the Exhibit Hall are surprisingly decent considering their proximity, though obviously the jokes write themselves about moving upwards, even via an escalator, being too much for some of the clientèle.

I want to read hundreds of Gen-Con comics. Granted I bet if I cast a wider net and just looked for "nerd-convention-based comics" I might be able to get dozens at least. Even though then most would be much more terrible than this delightful thing.

Edit: Personal information chat; I wanted to apply for this elite training program thing at my job, but my old supervisor was leaving right before his recommendation letter was due, and of course my new supervisor was like "I would love to help you out but uh, I do not know anything about you." So I did not get to apply to this cool training program. Then my friend who got in today was like "oh this is awesome, you go off for a week of training in August and one in December, and then spend a month at another agency!" and I was like "...which week in August?" and YES IT WAS. DODGED. A. BULLET.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is, like, legitimately exciting news. Pity that probably means Gen-Con will leave Indianapolis for Stenchtown in 2024.

djfooboo posted:

Worst smell was easily a man in a hoveround that had literally shat himself (I am a nurse, I can tell a fart and a shite). He made no move to go to the bathroom, but instead was continuing to browse old musty GURPS books...
Texibus' comment pretty much covers it, but at some point in my late 20s I went from feeling anger to feeling pity and sadness over just about all forms of unbelievable social faux pas. Like, that guy undoubtedly knows full well he poo poo himself and his brain is quite possibly constantly repeating like YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON on loop, but looking at GURPS books is mildly pleasing so on he goes.

:smith:

SO HEY HOW ABOUT THAT OTHER TOPIC

uhhh

I am probably going to finally live my dream to get to Indianapolis on like Monday this year, I can hardly wait to find out just how overwhelmingly intense are the other nerds who do this too. If I do not get into at least one pick-up game of like 2nd edition AD&D played for ante, I will be disappointed.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

What would you possibly be anteing in a 2nd ed d&d game. Dice? Shaving rights for each others neck beards?
"Officer, this here man claim-jumped my shaving rights for
nope

O.K.

What would you ante for... hmm... AD&D 2nd Edition tournament ...

BATTLE BEASTS

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone know when the vendors do their housing stuff?
Mudcrab Merchant does! I will ask! Or she will tell here! WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD

Edit: This just in from Mudcrabistan, they are live RIGHT NOW.

Edit: Unrelated I am currently checking how far every one of the Indianapolis Top 25 Restaurants is from the convention center, trip update if any are closer than expected (besides the usual suspects of St. Elmo Steak House and Café Patachou)

Edit: Hmm, interesting results... a few of these places are MAYBE close enough if you have a bold adventuring party willing to eat one of your fallen after walking three blocks in order to have the strength to make it six blocks.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 28, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The GroupMe is hoppin' already, if any of you are holding out on joining like weirdos.

Classic instructions again if they got overshadowed in the opening posts:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

I had this silly idea last year, but wasn't able to execute it. At the big Wednesday drunken meetup thing, I will be running an Ugly Dice Contest! Bring your ugliest dice, I will photograph them and send it to my panel of judges, and they will choose this winner. Winner gets an drink of their choice at wherever we meet up. Note that this is an ugly dice contest and not an ugly die contest, so you need at least two of them. More information as think of it.
Do homemade dice count? Asking for a friend also named Dr. Quarex.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not going to lie, They Might Be Giants is probably the biggest band that is a perfect fit for Gen-Con. I have not seen them live since like 1998 but I AM GONNA GO HELL YEAH

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haystack posted:

If anyone is interested in a free badge & swag, Chaosium is seeking people to run Call of Cthulu and/or nuRunequest games at Gencon.
Yeah I saw this, and it made me smile to think the new heads of Chaosium really are finally going all-in on the oft-repeated idea that Chaosium should really be one of the biggest players in the role-playing scene, with actual large-scale efforts to get their games out there at conventions.

I guess that means I better figure out if I am Auction-Dude this year or if I want to become Dr. Cthulhu.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OH poo poo KASK'S LAST YEAR WHYYYYYYY fair enough, I will check with Katie.

Also...uh. Huh.

Gen-Con E-Mail posted:

To commemorate 2017’s historic Gen Con 50, the convention will create a showcase area on the [Lucas Oil Stadium] field that honors the first Gen Con, held in the 1967. In this space, attendees will get to see an homage construction of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin’s Horticultural Hall, located right on the field.
Well that is random and delightful.

I can take a selfie with this to go with my selfie from the real Horticultural Hall :smug:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not sure how it could be any worse than "a couple of pleasant-looking walls with mirrors and a banner telling you to go to another city."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had not looked at the Gen-Con Forums for more than about five minutes since they switched forum software a couple of years back, but I was not disappointed by what I found when I jumped back in. Well other than almost immediately finding a thread where the guy who I can always count on to post ignorant shithead comments did, indeed, jump into and poo poo up a thread about sexual harassment. But here are some recent highlights:

Internet Tough Guy posted:

Only problem for anyone flying is dealing with the drat TSA. Friend of mine had an incident on his way to a convention where he had to open his miniature case so they could check it, and the TSA drone just started tossing the miniatures out as he conducted his search. METAL miniatures, so they were breaking as he tossed them out. My friend demanded the guy's badge number and to see his supervisor, and the TSA guy tossed him the "You can't talk to me like that!" attitude - until said friend told said drone that what he was doing was destruction of property, a crime.
Why do I imagine what actually happened was that the dude was lifting up the miniatures to look underneath them and some of them fell out and the dude nerdraged out of the blue

(Granted if the TSA person actually just treated the miniatures like stupid toys I can both understand why that would be infuriating and why it would seem entirely reasonable to treat tiny figures like toys)

Sigh posted:

I know it just reveals that I'm juvenile at heart, but whenever I see your name on the forums I think of Monty Python's Life of Brian - one of my favorite films.
Man 1 Well, what about Wodewick then?
Crowd Yeah, welease Wodewick! Welease Wodewick! Hahahaha!
Pilate Centuwion, why do they... tittew so?

[writes out the entirety of the scene in this fashion]

Sorry. :-)
Wow I have not seen an unironic lengthy Monty Python quote tirade in years

The Traditional Games Forum's Greatest Foe, Obviously posted:

We play Pathfinder so we usually have an 8:00 AM, 2:00 PM, and 8:00 PM game scheduled Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and just an 8:00 or 9:00 AM one scheduled Sunday.
I originally went and tried new games or editions, but I decided that I play Pathfinder at home and that is what I enjoy at the convention so I just play it.
Truly, what can you add to this? Granted I am no Pathfinder Hater, I have played it a handful of times and it was fun, but yeah the idea that someone is all-in on Pathfinder is amazing.

Edgar Bergen posted:

[What do you have in your Gen-Con bag?]

A ventriloquist's dummy. Because I want to see how far people draw back when I use it for both role playing and interacting with people around the table for 4 hours. And also, because screw practical, this con's about having fun. ;)
On one hand, purple monkey cheese; on the other, possible serial killer.

Carteret posted:

To be honest I'm amazed they even charge for the Sunday badges. Most everything is done, and over and everyone is pretty much packing up to go home. That price seems reasonable, and 8-under are free so yeah, you should be fine.
Hey c'mon now, I was just talking to TORRENT HEY TORRENT COME POST oh I see you did in the days I was compiling this post about how confusing it is that people seem to discount Sunday's existence entirely. Sunday is the day you are going to find the best deals in the Exhibition Hall since the vendors do not want to carry their stuff back to the car, and it only closes two hours earlier than the other days. I mean, sure, then everything closes along with it, but there is no shortage of stuff going on Sunday.

Also...where is the military museum? The only ones clearly labelled that I am finding are not in Indianapolis, or even a suburb.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

enigmahfc posted:

Every time I read anything about the RPG stuff at Gen Con, it makes me happy I have no interest in the RPG stuff at Gen Con.
My catchphrase is that Gen-Con is too short to spend your time gaming, but I suspect you just do some other sort of gaming instead. I certainly have had some uniquely terrible experiences in RPGs at Gen-Con, but I have also had some of the most randomly fun and/or memorable gaming sessions of my life there. Like the inexplicably fun live-action game where everyone played minimally-sentient pets at a pet store. Or the time I played a Tunnels & Trolls game run by Ken St. Andre and he made my girlfriend cry and leave the table (not, as you might expect, through misogyny!).

Or the I-seriously-cannot-believe-this-game-is-still-going-20-years-later-but-good-for-them "Totally Not Vampire: The Masquerade" live-action game where a couple of the guys in my group were so bored that after an hour or so we made the decision to go rogue and started randomly killing and eating important NPCs and trying to reveal the existence of vampires and werewolves to the public at large, and basically every other player banded together to stop us. It was a lesson for me in how you actually can be a productive member of a game as an evil character as long as you are not doing it because you are an rear end in a top hat ... even though I would also probably never do that again.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's the one bad experience I've had but then again I'm a straight white male so I don't really attract standard gamer shittyness. Back when you could get into games half the time I picked games that seemed fine but that's a thing of the past. You're kind of lucky if you can get into a fifth of the games you want unless they're something obscure.
Yeah your odds of having a minimally awful experience certainly increase if you are a straight white dude. There are actually minimal "evil person" stories from Gen-Con, almost always "incredibly obstinate person" stories.

Also thanks for the Indiana War Memorial address, it is now duly added to my "things to do while in a half-crazed state before Gen-Con" Google Map.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The all-important double post because I was just looking through Offworld Designs' shop and noticed they have a Gen-Con 50 laptop/messenger bag in stock; my own Gen-Con messenger/laptop bag is basically my favorite bag I have ever owned, so if you think $70 is an entirely reasonable price to pay for something to put other things that cost too much in, then check it out! I think the color is even a little more badass this time around.

:page2snypaomgwtfbbq:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here is a surprisingly good and incredibly long write-up of Gen-Con advice from one of dozens of people going by "the Angry/Furious/Frustrated/Pilloried/Disappointed/Discombobulated/Antidisestablishmentarianistic [Noun]" on the Internet:

Edit: Eat poo poo GamerGate scum

Obviously there will be plenty of familiar ground covered in any write-up of a convention if you have been to one and read about them before, but I had honestly never stopped to think about his point that you should not do a demo if there is a 0% chance of you buying the game. I always just sort of felt sorry for all those dumb game companies and figured I was cheering them up by acceding to their requests. But considering in my 15 Gens-Con I have bought all of one game after a demo pitch (APPLES TO APPLES in 2002 HELL YEAH), I think I am better off avoiding them.

Just go look at some of the Gen-Con Forums' advice threads instead:

http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/6785-first-time-attending
http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7071-what-s-in-your-bag-2017

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 1, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Exmond posted:

*backs away slowly and closes the door*
I actually found that quoted segment funny because it seemed like he had a sense of humor about it, but those Tweets suggest he may, in fact, just be so easily irritated that he wants to bring up his bitter past at all times.

Also even as someone who has never in his life tried to get paid for a creative endeavor that Twitter is very upsetting. Though I suspect a fair chunk of those utterly clueless people asking for personal art are like 12 and literally do not understand money, not just virtually do not understand money.

Edit: Regardless, the tips are solid! Just make sure to never pay him for his creative work.

Edit: I also love that THERE ARE NO ETHICS IN GAME JOURNALISM MAN is also apparently NEVER PAY CREATIVE PEOPLE FOR THEIR OUTPUT MAN

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PixelScum posted:

That reminds me that he made a separate twitter for his gamergate ranting about how women are ruining games.
Oooh that is bad enough that I want to remove his advice article!

https://theangryvgamer.wordpress.com/author/theangryvgamer/

Sigh. Yeah it looks like he deleted his associated Twitter account, no doubt wisely, but still. Ugh.

Stopped clock, blah blah.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Important update from the Gen-Con Forums:

Quarex posted:

I still remember the hubbub when Hayden Panettiere was randomly signing autographs at the Bella Sera booth.

A Helpful Person posted:

[Quarex] I remember when she was there, if I'm not mistaken, she was signed up to be at the Bella Sera booth to sign autographs.
Thank you, my friend. I would never have known that if not for your swift post intervention. Gen-Consplained.

Anybody else here going to PAX Unplugged too? How about Origins? I cannot believe I am going to both in addition to Gen-Con considering how I did zero connin' last year, but what can I say; when I decide that conventions are what I enjoy most in life, I go all-in.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

head58 posted:

I'm going to Origins, which continues to try really really hard to be a real grown-up con but somehow fails basic logistics year after year. Event registration (last week) was plagued by the servers not being able to handle the load AND by their credit card payment system not being configured to, you know, accept credit cards. There's always a line hours long to pick up badges because they insist on printing them on site. Last year I went to an event on Friday that had been rescheduled...to Thursday, because that makes sense.

Every year there are a handful of moments that just baffle me. I get complex organizations have many moving parts but it really feels like every year is their first year.
Origins really is a great example of what we in the social science biz call path dependency, where you look at how structural changes made to something (in this case, an "institution") dictate how it progresses from that point forward; in this case having two institutions that were functionally quite similar at one point (vis-à-vis Gen-Con) means that trying to ascertain what caused the dramatic spiraling of one into comparative irrelevance is even more intriguing.

There are no obvious numbers available for Origins attendance in the 1990s after the last joint convention with Gen-Con, but by the early 2000s Gen-Con was obviously a bigger show--but not so much bigger; there was only a ~7,500-person difference in attendance in 2004, which if everything had stayed the same now would make Origins another pretty big show indeed. But these days the difference in attendance is averaging +/-40,000 instead of +/-7,500. And on one hand, it would seem like Origins is to blame--they seem to have never really adapted to this whole "Internet" thing, barely having a presence at all beyond their official webpage and seemingly often lacking basic functionality.

But really, it seems like it was Gen-Con that changed, not Origins. Peter Adkison is a fabulously wealthy ex-gaming dude who runs a major gaming convention for seemingly his main occupation at this point; GAMA, the organization behind Origins, is a conglomerate whose primary business is game distribution. This is not to say that a gaming distribution conglomerate could not, in fact, run a great convention, but it has certainly never seemed like the people in charge of Origins care to make it seem like a professional operation. Particularly since the complaints, as you implied, are pretty much the same every year, as opposed to Gen-Con where every year there are exciting new complaints (though they tend towards hating the lack of scoring an attached hotel. Which brings us back to Gen-Con being fabulously successful.

Maybe Nesbit37 knows way more about this than I do though! I only really claim the knowledge of an outside observer who spends far too much time thinking about gaming culture and history.

Edit: Haha, I just found out that GAMA was actually founded specifically to manage the Origins Game Fair. This brings me to a different social science research concept: mission creep

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

:siren: COMMUNICATION INFO :siren:

As we get closer to event time, I want to point out to anyone that may not use it that we use Groupme for chat and coordination.

It's a great mobile/PC app that can fall back to group texting when data isn't available.

If you aren't in the Goon Gencon Groupme Group yet, PM me your username or phone number and we can get you set up.

https://www.groupme.com

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU Click this link to join!
You really cannot overstate how useful GroupMe has been in the past. It might not always guarantee an instant result for your question or desperate search for nummies, but more often than not if you have any passing question or thought about Gen-Con and write it down there you get a great answer from one of the Nerd Cadre in short order.

nesbit37 posted:

Here is my event, come hear me talk about 50 years of Gen Con history through its programs and what they can teach us about gaming, pop culture, and the con itself.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874
OH BABY I AM SO THERE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I either do not understand how the search engine for events works or I understand it perfectly. So many choices!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LLSix posted:

I think the search engine defaults to or-ing terms. So the search returns anything that has erotic or anime or larp (in any field as well as many misspellings and nearby words too as far as I can tell). I'm not sure how to force it to return only results that have both terms. Neither wrapping in " " or separating with + works.
Yeah when I tried to actually do exactly what the last mass e-mail said and search for "Gen Con 50" to find, uh, Gen-Con 50 events, it failed in every possible permutation (obviously, as you pointed out). I did ALSO find relevant events doing that, but I was amused that "Gen Con 50" also brought in dozens of Hearthstone and e-sports tournaments. "Celebrate 50 years of tabletop wargaming through things that scare old people!"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was going to excitedly post that this year should be better because Chaosium's new management is finally addressing the huge lack of Cthulhu games...but that started last year, right? Stupid "Blank 2016 Gen-Con Experiences"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone on the Gen-Con Forums pointed out that the old events search system is actually still active on the page, it is just not linked to by default.

And when using it with quotation marks, you pass the all-important test:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Nuh-uh, one time at Gen-Con I met up with a woman from the Internet and we had a great time and then we were making out in the back seat of my car (gotta keep secrets from the roommates and all that [no offense roommates]) and after what seemed like literally five seconds she said something like "you can't keep kissing me the same way over and over" and I said "I think I would run out of kisses after a minute at that rate?" and though we laughed I thought to myself "there is no force on this planet that could grant me continued succeed in this worthwhile endeavor" but fortunately some randos suddenly started approaching the car making a lot of noise so we buttoned things back up and got out and that was pretty much that.

Totally cool lady, mind, but clearly operating under a constant haste spell if you know what I mean* :smug: Kill me immediately :smug:

On one hand I do not want to post this because I think a side conversation about awkward Gen-Con hookups might be the worst thing to ever happen to this thread, but I also cannot deny it would be kind of amazing.

* It is also possible I have been slowed by some sort of Appalachian curse

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

pls source your quotes
:smith:

Unrelated I suddenly remembered that I used to follow the Indianapolis Goon Meets thread, and I see its last post was years ago. I have decided that the Gen-Con posts obviously killed that thread. I apologize.

Oh and I thought there was still no way to actually search for the 50th anniversary celebration events until I had the brilliant plan to find one and click on "company" so here is a default search for that if for some reason anyone else but me cares

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will switch to this one now that I have caught up on the Indianapolis thread. I loved the last two posts there: "Anyone going out tonight?" "No."

Slandible posted:

Is there a way to search for guest panels or celebrities for this year? A few years back I think there was a panel for Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I had no idea until it was too late.
Just looking through all the seminars is a decent start, but I doubt there is much more specific than that?

ALSO

Am I seriously the only person who, no matter what browser I use, has "Processing Please Wait..." appear when trying to add something to a wishlist...and then nothing ever happens? I might be desperate enough to post on the OFFICIAL FORUMS about this considering its prevalence on both desktop and mobile devices suggests something might be wrong with my account maybe? Maybe?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SirPhoebos posted:

Going to be making my other annual excursion to Indianapolis (Indy 500). My brother and I are going to be camping out at one of the ancillary race tracks the night before the race, and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried camping for GenCon.
There are some great stories in 40 Years of Gen Con about people camping out in their vans in nearby lots and washing up in public bathrooms and stuff, but those stories are also all from the earlier Milwaukee days. I have not really heard of anyone trying for the camping lifestyle for Gen-Con these days, though I do still keep meaning to try to watch this sometime, as it does seemingly cover the subject quite well.

Unless you mean like camping legally in a camper, in which case...what sort of mad wizard are you?

• Locked thread