Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

does this have anything to do with that failed attempt to change the Rochester city charter's stance on the city board of education or is this completely different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo made a big dent in the bills that need his signature by the end of the year, reducing it by about half over the weekend. one of the baffling vetoes was a bill that would have expanded demographic data collected about Asian Americans. as things stand now, East and South Asians are part of the same demographic even though they have different cultures, community needs, statistics, etc. it's probably too rich for our penny-pinching governor's blood

in yet another bullet point for the "cuomo and trump are cut from the same cloth" column, it's been speculated that he's leaning towards not signing the e-scooters and e-bikes legalization bill by the end of the year (effectively vetoing it) because Jessica Ramos, the bill's main Senate sponsor, had the absolute mind-numbing gall to speak out about the sham public financing committee. i'm not 100% sold on this being a good idea because i live across the corner from a restaurant that uses an e-bike for delivery and i've had a few close calls with getting hit by it, but i don't doubt that this is a petty rear end in a top hat way of dealing with the issue

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think i mentioned Josue "Josh" Pierre itt, the 42nd AD male district leader running against my state senator Kevin Parker. he just announced that he's dropping out of that race and running for the City Council seat which will be vacated by Mathieu Eugene, who is being term-limited out. as much as i want Parker out, this probably makes more sense from a political standpoint, as it's more winnable and he probably was getting gently caress-all for endorsements
online petitions never work, hth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

brooklyn borough president and presumptive mayoral candidate Eric Adams spoke at the opening for a senior center catering to poor and LGBT residents. he said some, uh, weird things during it

i'm not 100% sure what he was trying to get at, but i interpret his comments as "LGBT people are harbingers of gentrification" and "black & brown New Yorkers are more socially conservative and won't take kindly to them using the services here"

other things to keep in mind about Adams:

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 26, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/richazzopardi/status/1210281469303767040?s=21

cuomo vetoed e-bike legalization and cited a death in NJ in his veto message

the kid who died was hit by a truck
i'll admit that i'm pretty skeptical of e-bikes and e-scooters because i live a block from a sushi place where a delivery guy rides one, and i've had a few close scrapes with him. at the same time, gently caress Rich Assholepardi

this list of other bills vetoed by Cuomo has a healthy dose of sarcasm and i'm here for it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What then happens when Uber and Lyft run out of VC money?

https://twitter.com/CBS6Albany/status/1210694181477322753
this is the 2010s, man (at least for the next few days). it's not like every other decade: venture capital won't turn off the flow of money into ill-advised business models simply because they'll never turn a profit. if this were any other decade in a capitalist economy, Uber and Lyft would have been dead six months after launch

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Double post for new content:

https://twitter.com/JoeBorelliNYC/status/1211270777674371073

And who is this fucker?

loving secede already.
don't you worry, Borelli got the ball rolling again on Staten Island secession approximately five seconds after he lost the general election for NYC public advocate. in addition to this, he's one of the City Council's biggest transphobes

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

So, how will it go over for Cuomo to craft whatever 'domestic terrorism' law he's talking about in press conferences today.
it should be fun to see how the legislature's rank-and-file talk about Cuomo once they get back into Albany. they've got a head of steam due to passing rent regulations and other things bottled up by Senate Republicans for years, and i imagine there will be bigger pushes for issues left unsettled, like legal weed and the New York Health Act. some will be quiet about it and let their bills do the talking, but people like Ramos and Biaggi aren't going to stop shouting at him

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Politico's been on the warpath against Medicare for All over the past couple of months, providing skewed reporting by giving more voices against it and one or two voices for it. this article about the NY Health Act is no different

it does fail to mention a major obstacle to its success, though: a federal waiver to redirect Medicare and Medicaid money to such a program. Gottfried has mentioned that it can succeed without one, but it becomes that much harder if it doesn't, if not impossible. i brought up NYHA at a debate watch and one of the attendees said his mom is on PNHP, which are medical professionals for universal healthcare, and she admits it won't succeed without one

gotta make sure to elect Bernie in this and many other cases

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so just to square my read of what you're saying here:

the NY State equivalent of a federal/national M4A badly needs an authorization or waiver or whatever that looks like to assign that funding the state receives from the Feds, that would otherwise be allocated to theoretically-now-obsolete piecemeal programs like Medicare and Medicaid, into its internal universal program.

yeah that'd be a huge help
yeah you summed it up nicely. the other thing that this guy's mom said is that they can pass NYHA, attempt to get a waiver and fail, yet still declare victory for trying. so getting it passed isn't as much of a risk as you'd think. technically they passed a single-payer system in Vermont and have done practically nothing to make it a reality

Real hurthling! posted:

why cant they just call the new state program medicaid so they can keep using the medicaid funds and then if they get sued, not give a poo poo like rightwing states do when they are up to no good and keep trucking along
in politics, it's always easier to destroy than create

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna start this off by saying if any Brooklyn goons have considered running for the Brooklyn Democratic Committee, this is the time to do it. I mean, it always is, but early this week, things got more urgent. I apologize for the lack of links because this hasn't gotten reported on and the New Kings Democrats and the Rep Your Block campaign haven't yet commented on things, but they're working on it.

Frank Seddio officially stepped down as the Brooklyn party boss on Wednesday, as he had been dogged by mismanagement of party funds and a lawsuit from Golden Corral suing him for $3 million. But before he went, he picked Rodneyse Bichotte as his successor. Bichotte is the assemblymember and female district leader for the 42nd AD (Flatbush, Midwood, Ditmas Park), as well as the first Haitian-American elected to state office. She also spent the better part of 2019 kissing Seddio's rear end and being visibly angry about Jumaane Williams. That last bit was seemingly odd because she began the year as one of his campaign chairs for the public advocate special election. Looking back, the reason becomes more clear. She was elected handily by the district leaders.

Shady enough so far, but it gets worse. Around that time, those same district leaders voted to kneecap the power of the county committee. First of all, they canceled the February meeting and it's not clear if it'll even be rescheduled. Bi-annual meetings was one of the concessions Seddio made to the county committee insurgents, even if they did tend to be out of range from the subway. On top of that, they banned the proposal of resolutions related to party management and concerns from the County Committee at meetings. In other words, we now can't discuss a significant part of party business at a meeting meant to discuss party business. As far as I know, this was either unanimous or passed without any "no" votes but with at least an abstention.

It also doesn't look like Bichotte is going to improve on Seddio's fiscal stupidity. According to a county committee member I spoke to in the 43rd AD, she's already hired a PR firm with connections to Bill de Blasio as a recruitment drive to counter the Rep Your Block campaign, which has been the main driver of insurgency within the Brooklyn party. Where the money is going to come from, I have no earthly idea. These issues were discussed at the assembly district's committee meeting this week, which this member I spoke to called a shitshow. Not every district has its own committee, but in mine (the 44th) we're having a meeting on the 30th, and I'll be sure to raise hell to our district leaders. At this point, every single district leader will need to watch their back, because more challenges are sure to come. There are already a couple of races for open seats, but none for incumbents. This will need to change.

So, if you want to sign up for the Rep Your Block drive, put in your info right here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

ok i have to know more about this
i got your story right here. also it's about $2.2 million, not $3 million

as a bonus, it also mentions how much worse the Kings County party's finances have dropped under Seddio: its reserves went from $505k in 2013 to $32,800 mid-2019. and that was before having a committee meeting at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island, which isn't a cheap place to reserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my favorite Seddio memory was when he shouted "go gently caress yourself" at a district leader several times after a county committee meeting adjourned. hopefully that DL abstained from voting on the rules changes to save face