Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Cuomo is bad for a whole buttload of reasons! Here is one of them!

He created a program called Start-Up New York a few years back with the intent of bringing jobs back to Upstate (Cuomo has decided to be a governor for Upstate while ignoring or outright cutting funding for NYC wherever he can, which isn't the worst idea when everyone will still vote for him).

If you love watching NY1 (and who doesn't?), you've probably seen the commercials, and there's the problem - $53 million has been spent on advertising to create just 408 jobs. Before we get all Keynesian about the stimulus of advertising dollars, Start-Up's central tenet has been that companies moving here will pay no taxes for a decade, losing the state even more money before the jobs are created.

Cuomo's solution? Rename the project, and keep fuckin' that chicken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
listen bubs, we had enough trouble the LAST time we introduced firewater upstate

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

zakharov posted:

We'll get around to it when we agree that clean drinking water is good.

NNNNNNNNNO! I'll have my diseased lungs like a real North Yorker you nanny state libtards!!!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
*flame shoots out of urethra*
president bannon I'm ready for the invasion of the southrons in neo-nyc

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Part of it is definitely the Dem Senate leadership being totally ineffective, and part of it is that IDC members are given a chair or co-chair position, which bumps their salary by 40%.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
They hate us cuz they ain't us.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
NY Republicans are like cartoonishly lovely, though, so we can't hope for any good there. Like, I remember right before Skelos got busted, he held this press conference where he literally said, "heh heh, it would be a shame if anything happened to poor people in NYC" like he was baby Gotti.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
yo gobbagool, shouldn't you be trying to outlaw dancing in your county or something instead of posting

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, this is foolish accelerationism that anticipates gun control to follow, and there's no damned way that happens federally. More people will die waiting for a release valve that'll never be operated.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
There's a New Queens Democrats meeting happening tonight at 7 in Jackson Heights, in case anyone's interested.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Whoops, yeah, a link would definitely be handy, sorry about that.

I'll be the tall ginger in a camel coat, so definitely say hi, anyone who comes.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Governor Preet would be amazing. It'd be like a second try with Spitzer, except not a douche.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm currently waiting on the assembly district 9 special election returns. nothing as of yet

looks like we maaade ittt

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Close; 25-year teaching veteran, but yeah, Pellegrino won.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, he went to my high school in Briarwood, so it wouldn't surprise me if he grew up in Jamaica Estates or Malba, or even Douglaston.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I love that the Assembly is so pissed at Cuomo that they didn't let the bridge renaming go through.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

speaking of orthodox judaism, nobody's mentioned that David Greenfield isn't running for another term

He is, of course, going right into grifting

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
sun-level take: if someone's bad outweighs their good? no statue for them.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

jimmy van bramer wants me to re-elect him. I know relatively little about him, other than seeing him at a restaurant and he takes credit for shutting down that nazi super in sunnyside.

how should I feel about not really having a choice?

He's okay on most issues if a little happy to throw himself in front of any camera he sees (he's gunning hard for the Council Speaker seat once MMV is done), but he's ranged from doing nothing about LIC's overdevelopment to outright encouraging and enabling it, so that's pretty poo poo.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

how come i've heard nothing in media outlets about the races in Districts 32 and 48? 32 is currently the only district outside of Staten Island repped by a republican, and that guy (ulrich) is in a heated race against a hip-hop artist turned lawyer

32's my home district, and it's one of the true swing districts in the city; it's an odd duck of a district, with chunks of ethnically-diverse Richmond Hill and Ozone Park/SOP mixed in with Howard Beach and its satellites. We sort-of go back and forth between both parties, and while Ulrich is a bit of a weaselly turd, he's not TERRIBLE in the sense that a lot of other NYC-based GOP people like Milliotakis are because he knows it's a true swing seat. For instance, Joe Addabbo, who was our Democratic Council Member before Ulrich got the seat and is now our State Senator, was against the first gay marriage bill, but then for the one that actually passed, he was one of the crucial votes that switched because the few years and a bit of activism really made a difference in terms of the political calculus.

I don't see Ulrich losing, though, despite my wishing it were so.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Haha, the final and inevitable result of that loving fake centrist party Cuomo made to siphon votes from WFP is them teaming up with Republicans.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Back in the early ‘90s when my dad’s FedEx route was in Chelsea, he’d drive from Queens to the West Side at about 4 AM every weekday, but since then, I’ve not known anyone to do it.

so basically the only ethical choice is heavy congestion pricing

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I’d imagine it’s to cement some sort of incumbency advantage.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Powercrazy is exactly wrong about exactly everything at exactly the right moments.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
man, I’m getting too old for this poo poo.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
nothing silver can stay

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
her campaign, ruined. now we can never legally be high above cayuga's waters.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
a huge Ocasio van passed by this afternoon blasting Top 40 while I was eating near Astoria Park so +1 to the face van

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
got asked for my ID at my polling station today and immediately reported the lady to the people in charge of the site so I had that going for me

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

buddhanc posted:

Can y'all gimme some particularly egregious stories about IDC peeps

Like altacara or Klein or whatev

dis one time
dey caucused with the republicans

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
uh sorry the bad takes thread is that way *points to green turtle sandbox filled with turds with label that says "zionism"*

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Howd the propositions go

all of ‘em passed

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
gotta say, I’m a little worried about how the Public Advocate race is shaping up. With loving 17 candidates splitting the field, and most of them Democrats, I could see someone like Eric Ulrich squeezing through and using it as a springboard to make the office defend poo poo cops and build himself up as like the only prominent city Republican.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
There’s always SOME herb in the voter guide who utterly wastes it and is always “I’ll walk in Day 1 and shut down this office!!!”

It’s like 9/10 times a Libertarian Party Man, but I can’t act surprised that it’s the remnant of the NYC GOP now.

It makes me wonder who they’re going to try to run for mayor next time. Malliotakis whiffed hard, and no one knows Ulrich outside his council district. Another Joe Lhota shithead businessman type? Lhota himself, with a Cuomo endorsement?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Hey why is Cuomo not signing a lot of stuff?

A combination of "he sucks and wants to kill some progressive legislation that his donors hate" and "the things he eventually WILL sign, he'll sign around the end of the year so that it's super-distanced from the Legislature getting credit and he reaps all the glory."

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Snowy posted:

anyone sorted out the five proposals up for nyc vote tomorrow? I was thinking 1-yes 2-yes 3-yes by I’m not sure about the last two. I postponed reading up on it and now I have a crazy work day.

Yeah, I think the goon consensus was YES on 1, 2, and 3, and NO on 4 and 5.

4's too vaguely-written and could be easily abused, and while 5 is a nice idea, giving development delay power to Community Boards, in reality most community boards are absolute poo poo and it would just be used to stall bike lanes.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
they’re still counting absentee ballots, I think

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
The York College and Medgar Evers sites are LIVE for scheduling as of 8 AM this morning. . They're just for selected area codes from 2/24 to 3/2, then they open up to all residents who qualify of Queens and Brooklyn, respectively.

https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
https://nycvaccinelist.com/

Thousands, if not TENS of thousands of appointments have opened up at the borough-specific sites at Medgar Evers (Brooklyn) and York (Queens), as well as at the citywide site at Javits. No new qualifying groups have been added yet, but for anyone in the current groups, that's a lot of dang appointments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

cuomo might actually go down

at the very least, Andrea Stewart-Cousins will have to come up with a new excuse for doing nothing after going "oh there needs to be a fourth accuser for me to believe it" and then 4 and 5 showed up the following day