Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

honestly surprised that cellular basebands haven’t caused more security problems over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

google marketing should just switch to AAOS for this poo poo because it’s the rare case where a random acronym is less confusing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to add further confusion you still have the AAOS with and without google automotive services (GAS) distinction just like AOSP and google play services

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Either it doesn't have a baseband and relies on the internet connection of a nearby phone or wifi access point, or they somehow got enough documentation to be able to support their own baseband drivers (this is likely NOT the case).

Also, I would assume that it doesn't have a web browser (or at least one that doesn't browse websites outside of VW's control) and networking is optional. But this would still allow pulling or sending data via satellite.

15 years seems quite doable, and things should stay reasonably secure during that timeframe.

over 15 years the concern should be that the baseband won’t have a network to connect to anymore. the iPhone 3G was launched 15 years ago and no longer can be added to US cell networks and its unlikely to even get a signal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

you guys are overthinking it. google doesn’t do service contracts or customer support. one day vw is going to call up google asking when the fix to the critical bug they reported will come. they will find out that the group that was supposed to maintain a thing was reorged and then merged into another group and then dissolved and there is literally no one who owns the product and anyone that knew anything about it doesn’t work there anymore.

the most important parts of AAOS at least are open source. I guess worst case scenario you rip out google maps/ok google and start clamping down even harder on whatever the security holes are at hypervisor host device driver level

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive/virtualization/architecture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the carrier backend changes and modulation changes mean that the normal “LTE” like 5G connections (FR1) should get more reliable connections. expanded uses for carrier aggregation compared with LTE advanced should also help with consistent bandwidth, fewer connection drops and less latency because your phone is actively communicating with a tower on more than one frequency or multiple towers. it should help a lot when driving

this is impossible to market so ridiculous data rates in FR2 that are mainly practical for fixed wireless are what makes it into ad copy

oh, also, the 5G core directly supports LTE. previous generations like 2g and 3g needed separate equipment. that may or may not help the longevity of regular LTE because MNOs will be able to get more out of 5G users exclusively using FR1.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“massive mimo” is the only part of this at all trying to be marketed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

huge lol that its going to the google graveyard

I’m having a lot of trouble with remembering what even the name is for. I thought assistant was everything behind “ok google” like Siri or Alexa

To Wikipedia!

quote:

Google Assistant is a virtual assistant software application developed by Google that is primarily available on mobile and home automation devices. Based on artificial intelligence, Google Assistant can engage in two-way conversations, unlike the company's previous virtual assistant, Google Now.

Yeah isn’t that “ok google”? And what the gently caress was google now?

quote:

Google Assistant debuted in May 2016 as part of Google's messaging app Allo, and its voice-activated speaker Google Home. After a period of exclusivity on the Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, it was deployed on other Android devices starting in February 2017, including third-party smartphones and Android Wear (now Wear OS), and was released as a standalone app on the iOS operating system in May 2017. Alongside the announcement of a software development kit in April 2017, Assistant has been further extended to support a large variety of devices, including cars and third-party smart home appliances. The functionality of the Assistant can also be enhanced by third-party developers.

Allo? Home? Wear?

Oh dear.

Apparently that duplex thing was part of it? That was the NLP AI thing that you could use to spam restaurant reservations.

But anyway I still didn’t see if this is the service that is the equivalent of Siri for “set a timer” or navigation or whatever. I think so? But maybe not? does this mean removing voice commands from android? I’m guessing not and this is about dumb stuff like duplex?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

smh running Linux on a phone? 🤣🤣 you folks are too drat much

wait until you hear about cars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

AT&T is clearing their iPhones 14 Pro stock so we got two of them for $600 total by trading in our iPhones 12

Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 is $1900+

is timb going to fix this oversight soon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clear evidence CPI is dramatically underestimating inflation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

google was supposed to have had the most talented software developers who could pass their hyped iq test, knew all the craziest algorithms, and that was the result.

they’ve put it all into optimizing projects for RSUs and personal compensation so more time can be spent doing “interesting” things like reinventing programming languages, package managers and other “algorithmically interesting” problems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah it should just say C

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i suspect it’s because if they’re in all blue group chats then androids will legitimately break it and make it harder to do things like share pictures

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think android has actually improved over the last decade?

I’m not sure 2013 era android could’ve gotten worse but hey, you asked

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

apple should support rcs but the actual spec rcs not the google version that funnels it all through google servers

I believe this means messages couldn’t leave your carrier but the entire situation is a complete mess. RCS may not work at all on most carriers without google now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but yes, apple should do that because it’d be hilarious. it’d be just like apple products following USB power specs to the letter unless they could verify that the other side was also an apple/mfi device that indicated agreement to break the spec.