Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
why wont my android do activesync with my hp jornada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i had a jordana 720 as a teen. it was, at the time, pro as gently caress

also had the nokia 770/800 maemo devices. they were p. neato an vaguely useful as an internet device in an era of lovely smartphone platforms. i still have my n800 for use as a prop in halloween costumes (wrist computer/pipboy)

umpcs were unmitigated trash. woefully underpowered and no battery life.

i also had a jornada 720 as a teen. i put mp3s on the cf card and played them with windows media player. it was my ipod and, with an orinoco gold 802.11b card, my iphone

i think we've discovered a yospos indicator

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

but the jornada had a built-in modem whose jack popped out the corner

i think i used it to send a fax once

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and I definitely installed a debian distribution called 720degrees on it and used it to watch torrented episodes of star trek outside

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

is the pixel c good or not? i can't rememnber

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

helpful chart

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

finally, the tall phone

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nice overfitting

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My phone is five years old. It works fine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Look jackass if your transistors aren't smaller than mine step the gently caress off before I start busting faces

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im on a roll

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

lol how did that not come up at a planning meeting?

can you imagine planning meetings at samsung korea

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

considering every samsung eventually switches to kooky chocko for fonts, i assume screen color changing will eventually turn to whatever the color version of that is. hot dog stand, i guess

you have to use the correct capitalization when you refer to samsung's typeface, Choco cooky

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone threw out a nexus 5 and i janitored it and am waiting for a new sim tray to arrive

it seems faster than my nexus 4

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The underlying concepts look good and I've specifically avoided clicking on any UI videos

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i think they take their waterproof phones into the shower and gently caress their phones and cum in them

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

steely-eyed missile mandroid

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ifixit posted a teardown/disassembly of the essential phone

the only way to open it is to liberally apply cryogenic freeze spray and break it apart

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

meanwhile i just replaced the battery in my google nexus 4 for the second time since i bought it in 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

where did you manage to find a battery for it? the only places i ever saw offering Nex4 replacements were shady ebay sellers who claimed OH YEAH THIS IS A REAL LG BATTERY but like yeah right

i just installed one of these. will see if it lasts. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07145LRK5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc Block posted:

"actually, it's good because it's so easy to fix when it repeatedly breaks!"

both the original and the third-party replacement wore out, as lithium batteries do when you use them long enough. i'm glad i can keep using the last good android phone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

your using the htc g1???

are you asserting the phone that introduced android to the world is "good"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

any phone with a display larger than 5.0 inches is haraam

smythe's nexus 6 is the exception, as he is jewish and thus not subject to the rules

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

wait so 6" is kosher, but not halal? how does that work?

fatwa against big phones. duh

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

only 7" phones are non-kosher

i could walk down market street holding my nexus 7 up to my fave and people would look at me admiringly

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, someone else has one of these that still functions? Although I guess because I live in a faraway land there's no way in hell anyone will ship me a battery for fear of blowing up the airplane. Is there anything else you had to do to keep it working?

I have dropped the phone one single time and when I did it landed flat on the screen, shattering it because it landed on top of the one pebble on the concrete within a few feet, which was slightly higher than the bumper case. fortunately my brother had a broken nexus 4 that LG completely failed to fix despite sending it in for service, so I swapped my phone's circuitry and battery into it.

it is a phone of theseus

LastInLine posted:

im going to guess hes also using a radio hack to enable lte as hspa networks are getting a little thin on the ground

it came with the android marshmallow rom (chroma OS) I installed, and t-mobile's band 4 coverage is not really the best :shepface:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it'd be nice if i could use a motorola phone on fi

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

“good” wired headphones cost more than $100

i pulled my beyerdynamic dt 250s out of the trash and bought them for $5

my yamaha yh-1s cost $2 at a flea market

:smugbert: your move

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the Google Nexus 4 was introduced in 2012 and mine scrolls crisco-smooth

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

speaking of nvidia did they make any phones yet?

the tesla model s is the only tegra device with a body large enough to dissipate the heat properly and it does include a cellular modem

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

the essential phone by andy rubin has sold approximately 5000 units since launch. very surprising that android people don't want to spend iphone money on a phone!

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/essential-has-sold-just-5-000-phones-since-launch-baystreet

it's not good, op

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

NEED MORE MILK posted:

they were the console leader during the 360 era, then they hosed all of that up by not putting the right ram in the console and also thinking that HDMI overlay paired with a cable box was a future (google did this like 7 years earlier with google tv and it failed miserably). they then put a non user replaceable hard drive while simultanously requiring that you install your 50gb games to said hard drive (after constantly ragging on sony for having done this with the ps3).

oh and then put a camera that nobody wants with the console that literally could not be unplugged* or they system would not work

*eventually removed in a software update despite saying it was impossible

ballmer era microsoft was basically defined by "never learn from your mistakes and always double down"

actually, it's a decent time-of-flight depth camera and I want it

the rest of the console can gently caress off

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

why is android so slow? that's just a 7 too, not even an 8 or X.

because qualcomm and (to a lesser extent) samsung are loving trash

like samsung is inventing their own garbage poo poo and fast eMMC or whatever for their high-end phones. apple just uses PCIe and NVMe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

emmc is garbage and Apple never used it.

yes that's what i said

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

my younger brother (not the android loving sperg) has a tendency to ruin his electronics by being non-careful. As such his laptop and phone needs to be cheap crap and his laptop has emmc storage. It is really bad, but cheap to replace when it gets rekted.

what i'm getting at is: emmc is bad

get him a thinkpad T410/T420/X201/X220 with an SSD and he may find it much more difficult to destroy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my google nexus 4 is patched for KRACK

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Please, Google Now, I really can't take any more news about killed and tortured children from around the world every morning! (self.Android)

quote:

I have a young daughter and I'm sure my Google search results reflect that.

"Google Now" however, interprets this interest as "Totally ruin this guy's day by telling him about every single gruesome crime against or accident involving young children in this world every single morning".

[...]

There's no "Not interested in /keyword/?" option above these articles, I see no way to disable them. I can block the source it's coming from but Google Now pulls these form all different sources.

Most other things Google Now shows me are reasonably relevant to my interests and I'm hesitant to give up on an otherwise useful service over this but I really feel like it may be better for my sanity in the long run.

And child related news technically are relevant as well ... I'd love to know when there is a puppet theater for kids in the neighboring town or when a new playground opens or when there's a fun event at the nearby zoo. And Google Now often shows these as well. [...]
tl;dr: Please, Google Now, I can't take much more news about dead and abused children ... I just can't.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

single camera bokeh continues to be garbage
left is Pixel 2, right is iPhone.

https://twitter.com/mattbirchler/status/923614348169437185

hint: your bokeh will never look "good" unless it is shot with an aps-c or larger sensor

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

any phone larger than 5.2" is a phablet

any phone 6" and up is a tablet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

"bokeh" refers to the specific blur that out-of-focus stuff has. it isn't depth-of-field or "background out of focus, foreground in focus" (that's just called shallow depth-of-field).

different lenses have different bokeh qualities, depending on stuff like how many blades the aperture has. if out of focus stuff looks hexagon-ish with your lens, it's because the aperture only has 6 blades.

bokeh is hard to fake (especially in real time) because it isn't just a "normal" blur like a box or gaussian blur. with a normal blur, bright objects get blended into their surrounding objects and become less bright, whereas in real photography, bright objects that are out of focus appear to expand. the best post-processing bokeh effects also simulate aperture blades and stuff like that.

the iphone+ models and now the pixel 2 try to simulate shallow depth of field by adding fake bokeh. devices with two cameras will be able to do a better job of it, because they'll be able to build a depth map. but the requirement that it be real-time or close to real-time means that the effect still isn't that convincing, and without a really accurate depth map (which you can't get with cameras only a centimeter apart) there are a lot of situations where the fake shallow depth of field effect just falls over completely.

don't forget the trendy effect of the swirly bokeh background caused by what is actually a not-so-good lens with field curvature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it impossible to do real bokeh with smartphones? my nexus 5 actually has an f/2 lens, which would give you great blurries if it was a piece of SLR glass

the focal length of your nexus 5 camera is 4.97mm. the larger and smaller sensors are the factor that changes the focal length required to achieve a particular field of view; a 4x5 large format camera has around 150mm as "normal" (approximately equal to 105mm on 6x7 medium format or 50mm on 35mm film/full frame sensor, etc) and can achieve a much shallower depth of field for the same aperture than the smaller sensors

idk who this guy is but his portrait was taken with a 7" Aero Ektar (178mm focal length, f/2.5 max aperture, also it's radioactive) and the depth of field is much thinner than if you took a portrait that included the same area of his face and the background on a camera with a smaller sensor.

you could achieve similar depth of field with a 178mm lens on any smaller camera, but it would be like cropping this picture to proportionately smaller rectangles.

also of note: the "normal" field of view remains the same as you go up, but since you're using a longer lens to take a picture with similar composition, geometric distortion is also reduced with larger format cameras; the effect is literally impossible to duplicate with something smaller, and the only large format digital solutions are either essentially a flatbed scanner mounted to the back of a camera, or just mount a smaller camera on a 4x5 and stitch photos together.

in conclusion, large format film is still 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠 and will remain so for the forseeable future.