Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the icon file size, its 3556x3556 and causing a Out of Memory exception error.

lmao wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea the youtube app is poo poo and runs in the background constantly making everything else slow, the mobile site is better

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7b4spjXhw

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Exciting!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Well, I got myself the s8. It's a heck of a learning curve but christ does the iPhone feel like it's in the past. I love the customization and of course the screen and hardware just feel incredibly good. The fingerprint scanner works good. 

Pardon the questions, am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones? Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps? 

I already picked up SwiftKey which I am loving. And some cool transparent widgets. Are there any really good go-to apps or widgets or themes I should get? 

Really thank you guys for the encouragement. I haven't used a non-iphone since the windows phone and I'm loving this.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It looks good actually other than the iOS knockoff pull-up menu

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

pram posted:

actually it looks like poo poo

Wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

syscall girl posted:

tbf the ios back buttons are always there but idk if you had real fat thumbs you could muss it up pretty reg

Is the back button in the loving status bar?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Seems like a problem that could be solved by simply having a constant back button, preferably at the bottom where someone's thumb is rather than at the top of an 18" long phone

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Properly coded games make the game fullscreen requiring a swipe to show the navigation bar hth

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The fact of the matter is this: there are three mobile operating systems, iOS android and win phone. Win phone is years dead, iOS is unusable by anyone but the most retarded. Android, otoh, provides a usable, visually appealing system with no hidden gestures to access commonly used functions. Android is the os of the people, and will continue to dominate mobile os share for years to come

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

One time a Galaxy S6 I was using crashed so hard that it deleted the Google Play store.

Samsung metaphorically rapes android and should be considered it's own thing purchased only by the most retarded advertising addicted mongoloids

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Doc Block posted:

And what does that dedicated back button take you back to? To the previous screen in the same app? To the app you were using when you tapped a link that sent you to the current app? The home screen?

Contextual back buttons that are only present when necessary are way better than Android garbage.

It takes you back. I'd heard stories about yospos autism but goddamn

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

what happens if you press the dedicated back button in an application and there isn't a previously viewed content panel?

Home screen

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

what if you had come directly from another app though? does the "back" button take you to the home screen or to the previous app?

I'm hosed up and don't understand but if you are on the home screen the back button doesn't do anything

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

so the back button occasionally changes function into an exit button? is there any way to tell when that happens other than memorizing the sequence of content panels that you've viewed in every active app?

It goes back? If you are at the initial screen of an app it goes to the home screen. If you are within an app it goes back within the app. As a yosposter I have never seen a naked woman so I can not comment on the Snapchat scenario

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

carry on then posted:

so why is it there?

Continuity

Plus it allows you to back out of menus in the home screen or inputs etc

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

silence_kit posted:

On my Android phone, pressing the back button in this situation backgrounds the app, same as if I were to press the home button.

There are some apps that exit of you press back from the main screen but it will usually pop up a toast saying tap back again to exit

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The back button always takes you back, not necessarily to the previous screen. If they keyboard pops up in a text box, back collapses it, leaving the cursor in the text box. If you bring down a list, back closes it. It brings you back and where back is is dependent on what you were doing. It is, however, always back

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

⋮

It bring you from the keyboard element back to the box element

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

why does it leave focus in the entry box without the keyboard present?

That's the last element they were in so it brings focus back to it

Maybe you want to long press to paste. There are valid reason to focus a text box and not have the kb up

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

😥

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

once again android is correct

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I unironically like the way that essential phone looks but lol at buying one

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea do not disturb has been a thing for a while

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

I was but still ordered one lol.

I got the b1g1 s8 from TMobile. So paid $1638 for two s8 after tax. Sold one for $650, one for $600, got a rebate of $750, sold two gear VR for $50 and $75, and sold an entertainment kit for $45. Also got 18m of Netflix and still have two cases and a 64gb SD card left.

So came out with $2170 so far.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It affects the scrolling, if you care google oneplus jelly scrolling

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah if you're granny drawing and not double buffering like you should

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

This Android malware steals data from 40 apps, spies on messages and location

"SpyDealer" malware has been active since October 2015 and researchers still aren't sure how it infects victims.

SpyDealer is described as "only completely effective" against Android devices running versions between 2.2 and 4.4 as the rooting tool it exploits only supports these versions of the operating system.

While these versions of Android are older forms of the operating system - Android 2.2 was first released in May 2010 and Android 4.4 was released in late 2013 - researchers say a quarter of Android devices worldwide are still running operating systems released between these dates.

With two billion active Android devices, that potentially means 500 million Android devices are vulnerable to having sensitive data stolen should they come under under attack from this trojan.

Researchers remain uncertain as to how devices become infected with SpyDealer but evidence suggests Chinese users become infected via compromised wireless networks.

lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

420 blaze it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

so does bells and whistles for the oculus rift include the expensive rear end computer you need to drive it also? No? oh well

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

husband is overseas for two weeks

end of week 1 and his nexus 5x bricks itself, apparently lucky goldstar are aware of the issue and taking returns

dont get stuck with an anroid

There was a class action law suit about this but it got moved to arbitration, lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cerv posted:

why does HTC even need to ship a keyboard? doesn't android come with a default one

yes, but that doesn't Add Value

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OldAlias posted:

if it has to be android don't spend any real amount of money on it and get a Moto-x or whatever (idk what the best cheap suggestion is atm) so when it fucks up or loses support it's cheap to replace

this, get him a moto g5+

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Needs more girth, that will never be satisfying

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The only apropos color for Android is poo poo green

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

your move crapple

evobatman posted:

I bought a LeEco Le Max 2 and Meizu EP-51 headphones since I hadn't bought a brand new cellphone for myself since 2004. Same hardware as a Galaxy S7, but at a third of the price. 5,7" 2560*1440 screen. Needed some de-chinification of the interface, but runs what seems to be decently stock Android. Big black border around the screen, no NFC and the vibration is pretty weak, but otherwise a good flagship phone for just $200. Nice metal body construction, and comes with screen protector installed, and a TPU cover to use while you wait for other covers from eBay.

The headphones were $30. They are a very bright in the treble but have decent bass. The volume dongle pulls them to the side, which can be annoying, but totally worth the money otherwise.

HUGE upgrade from my previously owned iPhone 5S with wired headphones.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah some people like licking cum up off the floor of a public restroom but they don't get all uppity about it

:rip: george michael

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

let's say I was inclined to get an adroid device just to play around with. doesn't need to be a phone, but needs to run a recent version of the OS and not be absolute piss garbage. what should I get?

moto g5+, all the tablets are poo poo and the only other phone worth getting is the pixel and it's expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Olivil posted:

why not get a chinese xiaomi something or other that is cheap as hell for the specs and mostly dodge the bad bands compatibility since you wont be using it as a phone?

Most of the China phones have skins and poo poo that make it differ from plain android. Samsung is bad about it too