Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

jesus christ, blackberry is still trying to make themselves relevant in tyool2017 and this is what they came up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

exciting!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

no, but I do remember these series of videos from CES 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuBf9tZUuo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

anroid

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

what is the difference between a streaming device and a set-top box? i thought those were the same thing? and i also thought google rebranded android tv to google tv except for tvs that already had android tv where it stayed android tv

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shaggar posted:

set top boxes are the thing your cable company gives you

i thought that was a cable box????

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://www.theverge.com/23994174/epic-google-trial-jury-verdict-monopoly-google-play

quote:

It’s a historic victory, particularly because Epic mostly lost its fight against Apple two years ago when Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers decided that fight had nothing to do with apps.

But Epic v. Google turned out to be a very different case. It hinged on secret revenue sharing deals between Google, smartphone makers, and big game developers, ones that Google execs internally believed were designed to keep rival app stores down. It showed that Google was running scared of Epic specifically. And it was all decided by a jury, unlike the Apple ruling.

horns.aiff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I hope you’re being ironic because that’s absolutely not something a non technical user has any clue about or how to do. apple has an unequivocal monopoly because the only people who can get around their walled garden lock in are people who would be considered highly technical users who are using exploits to install third party app stores and apps.

the vast majority of users don’t know anything about any of that. this extends to android too, but at least a non technical user can just download and install the amazon app store or some other alternative without resorting to hitting exploits

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my phone running software from an ad company is full of ads, someone please help!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

jesus loving christ google, could you actually make this poo poo any worse if you tried?

yes, op, and it'll continue to get worse

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some of the stuff I'm working on now will be on samsung phones as default software, super excited to be part of the android ecosystem

they're adding yet another web browser?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lmao no loving way

god it could only be worse if they'd chosen Sony

as someone with a sony phone, i have to say they don't even have a smart ecosystem. they've got a couple different apps for a few different things and they barely talk to one another

the biggest concern would be if your window, SWF-20T14LM8, you put in your house when you built it 10 years ago won't open because they only provided two years of support for it and now your house is on fire and you're trapped

the house is on fire because the tesla battery in the garage that powers your home burst into flames due to a cell failure

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my brother got an iphone for his step-daughter and she spends all her fuckin time using facetime to talk to people and it makes me want to snatch the phone out of her hand and smash it whenever shes over at the house with her parents. she originally had some like $5 samsung, but it couldn't do facetime so that got replaced p quick

unrelated, i really dislike people taking personal calls while on speakerphone

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

11 year old should have chosen for their parent to be less of a tightwad

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

do kids get bullied for having like an iphone se instead of an 11 or 12? or is it just entirely about the bubble color?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i don't have any kids, but if i did they wouldn't have any phone more advanced than a nokia flip phone until they were like 18

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

alternately stupid americans could get on board with the rest of the planet and just use whatsapp.

despite still having a facebook account, i generally want to avoid most of meta's products, and as such would rather use something other than whatsapp

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i have imessage and people still don't want to socialize with me

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The_Franz posted:

every dork says this before they become a parent, then they give in because your kid not having a modern phone in high school makes them a social outcast who will hate your guts, far more so than accompanies general teen angst

like those future parents who swear their kids will grow up a hermit in the woods, then, a few months later, are desperately throwing a YouTube playlist of that australian blue dog cartoon or children's songs with dancing hitler or whatever at them when they discover that it buys them a precious 30 minutes of quiet

agreed in that i doubt anyone actually holds up to the not giving their eventual kid a smartphone thing, but i can still safely say it because the likelihood of me ever having a kid is incredibly small. additionally, what's your beef with bluey?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

akadajet posted:

never had a c64, but I like the character of the synth sounds they make.

same

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my parents were saying, as late as early to mid 1999, that "home computers are just a fad," and that in another 5-10 years no one would be using them or "doing anything on that internet thing"

then they bought that lovely walmart-special hp pavilion desktop and my life was hosed forever

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

imagining all the crt monitors and weird computers i'd have if i'd been an adult in the 80s

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They'd have all turned into trash due to capacitor failure by now

imagining all the unusable crt monitors and weird computers with capacitor failures i'd have if i'd been an adult in the 80s

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

when i was 5 i'd have wanted to just watch more of the tmnt cartoon, yeah

being in my mid-30s though i find bluey oddly wholesome, and my nine year old niece likes the show so i can give her merch as gifts that she'll like

i still don't think she needs to have a smartphone though

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Sony used to make a Compact version of all their flagship Android phones, and they only sold them in Japan because they're kawaii, and I loved those and bought several of them. But I think the time of small phones is done

the Xperia 5 series are pretty “small” compared to other modern Android phones too. sales have been pretty poor in North America so they’re not available here as of the current generation

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sb hermit posted:

the modern web is a hellhole

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/googles-pixel-storage-issue-fix-requires-developer-tools-and-a-terminal/

if the latest update completely broke your pixel phone, Google now has a solution

it involves

• enabling developer options on the phone (tap build number 7 times)
  • download and extract the sdk platform tools to a host computer
  • connect phone to host computer and set to the file transfer connection mode
  • open a terminal on the host computer, go to the platform tools folder, and type “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media.swcodec” and “./adb uninstall com.google.android.media”
  • reboot the phone
  • cross your fingers

lot of words to say: https://www.apple.com/iphone/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

literally the worst company on the planet when it comes to naming their phones though

a current line up taken from their website. which phone is the "best"?:
  • Xperia 1 V
  • Xperia 5 IV
  • Xperia PRO-I
  • Xperia PRO
  • Xperia 1 III
  • Xperia 5 III
  • Xperia 1 IV

the Arabic number is the hierarchy: 1, then 5, then 10
the Roman numeral is the version III, then IV, then V
the 1 V is the “best” one, both in terms of specifications and in terms of actual devices

PRO was aimed at video professionals, PRO-I had a 1” camera sensor and was the successor to the PRO. the 1 V is somewhat of a successor to the PRO-I

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the naming scheme does indeed suck rear end though. “Xperia one five” is such a poo poo name

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

good news, sony actively doesn’t care about normal users anymore, and has started marketing their phones specifically at “creatives,” or just domestically in japan where people are used to weird rear end nonsensical names anyway

they’ve also started cutting back on the devices released in the US, and I think there’s a good chance they’ll leave this market entirely in another year or two

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Gemini wanted to replace Google assistant and the first thing I ask it to do is "resume podcast playback" and it says it can't so I asked it" why can Google assistant do it and you can't" and it said" because I'm a large language model" so I set Google assistant back as the default

lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lmao I was going :jerkbag: the whole time until I got to that last part and actually laughed out loud

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

quote:

A new Siri or an AI-powered camera may not be enough to pull users away from Samsung or Google, but they will go a long way to keeping billions of people locked into Apple's ecosystem.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

oneplus released another genshin impact anime themed phone and preorders sold out in minutes. say what you will about the quality of their devices, they know their user base

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

also Google are to back spamming their pixel adverts on YouTube and the music is so aggressively bad that it will discourage me from ever buying a Google phone so I guess advertising does work?

are they still using lovely ukelele strumming for their ad music?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol that sounds awful. admittedly i'm not a fan of blackpink, but that song especially i don't like.

also on the topic of pixel commercials, my mother didn't understand the pixel super bowl commercial until i explained it to her. "why does the phone keep saying two faces in frame? i don't get it?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPTZIFQoDQ

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lol, i mean, done well i do think there's a market for a product like this. it's never going to be an ipad or even a kobo but it can probably net a tidy profit

as evidenced by the fact my dad, who has a kindle, chooses to read books on his ipad i have to concur with this assessment

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the s stands for "smelly"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i think it was tcl that released a regular anroid but with a rough matte display like what you'd find on an eink device, and it was pretty clear that you don't really want anything dynamic on even that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

a lot of old tool handles are made of the same stuff, which is why sometimes you open a drawer full of old screwdrivers at grandpa's house and phwoowoooooooo

anyway the more you know

i've actually wondered about this for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

this rumor has cropped up with every version of iOS since iOS 4. believe it when I see it