Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm the "Professional hacker here. " and also lol android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
seems kind of bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2X50k9Bj9Y

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
help i think my duration of vision is broken what should i do

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
anroid https://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/android-backdoor-ghostctrl-can-silently-record-your-audio-video-and-more/

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
the phone doesnt even exist, it was all just an elaborate identity theft/cc fraud scheme

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
those expensive audio technica headphones supposedly sound really good over bluetooth, Id get them if I was "into" spending $400+ on headphones

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

A Pinball Wizard posted:

hm so I can spend $99 for good wired headphones that do exactly what I want and work with every audio device in the world except the new $1000 lolphones, or $400 on good Bluetooth headphones because a guy on a dead gay comedy forum called me a poor

:thunk:

you're poor AND stupid hth

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i still don't understand how MS managed to have some actual success with the xbox brand. it's like the single new consumer product/line of theirs in decades that they didn't mismanage into oblivion

they bought game studios and told them to make xbox games. an underpowered tv-computer with directx and exclusive titles is pretty hard to gently caress up when you have unlimited money

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if they want similar success with phones they just have to buy at&t and tell them to only allow microsoft phones on the network

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

A Pinball Wizard posted:

a better analogy would be they need to buy a phone manufacturer and tell them to make only windows phones

:thunk:

DISAGREED

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Encrypted posted:

eh, both apple and samsung still uses qualcomm for their baseband even though they've got their own soc

my iPhone has an intel baseband

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Seems like they rolled their own payment solution inside Magneto, an e-commerce solution written in PHP that's well known for being exploitable.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I literally just checked and Spotify does let you remove and add songs to a playlist on the web. wtf are these android users on about

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I downloaded the zip and went through it, contents didn't seem overly creepy and contained a number of inaccuracies. this probably just means the zip file isn't the complete amount of information they've got on me.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

the zip does not include any data which was not directly collected by Facebook from you. the omitted info is allegedly made up of additional data scraped from the internet and purchased from commercial data brokers. it is supposedly extremely detailed and very accurate.

so the zip might indicate the wrong address for you or a friend but the full profile they actually use for targeting will have the right one thanks to the voter registration records they purchase regularly.

sure but don't forget all that location data they're constantly pulling if you've got the facebook or messenger apps on your phone. they clearly have it somewhere but its not in the zip. deleted conversations aren't there either but I doubt they're actually deleted.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

uh, didn’t htc sell their phone engineers to google?

they sold some of them but not all

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Partycat posted:

I bought at Kindle Fire 2015 tablet for $15. As I was unboxing it I had this overwhelming feeling that I had just paid to dispose of someone else's garbage.

It is convinced it is a kids tablet and wants me to sign up for some bullshit. I skipped this, and find it only seems to have the Amazon store with knockoff applications, and a limited selection of things. It is slow as gently caress, where even reading web pages they just plum give out half way down and become blank while scrolling. I was able to figure out how to put the Google Play store on it so I can install a variety of viruses and applications, but, first I had to identify the 'code name' of the appliance to ensure I was looking up the right information on the XDA forums like it is a piece of James Bond spy gear.

You know, like from that scene were he is loading the secret computer codes and stands around for ten minutes looking at his watch.

8/10.

Does it work extremely well other than that?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I use an ad-free, open-source Android app called SimpleSSHD that implements a Dropbear SSH server. Being able to SSH into your phone and wirelessly perform an incremental rsync backup of all your photos and data is life-changing compared to the hell that is cables and the MTP protocol.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

President Beep posted:

it also means “sandwich”, apparently. :eng101:

i can refute this claim

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

NOT AT THIS DISTANCE YOUR HONOR

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
maybe the major hardware design flaw is his brain???

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what American products? there are none

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
google is dropping the ball in a big way with stadia and its hilarious to see. not only because it never gets old how unlikable and incapable they have become, they are also about to piss off the only people who still sort of like google at this point. the reddit man baby android gamer people. the failure of stadia is going to be so much more entertaining than stadia itself.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

qirex posted:

that crowd tends to be pc gamers anyway so cloud games probably wasn't their market

I'd guess some product manager's kid got hooked on fortnight mobile so they thought "how can we insert ourselves as an unnecessary gatekeeping middleman in this market?"

fair point but maybe they are getting it for the tv, ultrabook or phone? I don't see how anyone outside of that demographic would be interested at all

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

brother needs a new phone and wanted something smallish, cheap, and rugged, so was eyeing the incredibly ugly but otherwise checklist-fulfilling (se-sized) cubot king kong mini. the advertising takes an approach that seems somewhat familiar:

(also as usual a total crapshoot whether it will get security updates, the by far biggest downfall for android in 2020).

its a no name phone for $100. lmao if you think its going to get a single update

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
google copeland

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i bought a just released tv box last year and somehow it hasn’t received security updates since 2018. to make it funnier the manufacturer actually releases updates but the ancient webview and security patch level doesn’t change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I haven't actually

It's a pretty new cable and a different phone seems to work which points to crud in the port.

toothpicks are the best for picking out port crud