Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Perplx posted:

for 8k sure

4k60fps is consumer now, at least on an iphone and go pro

the 6p and pixel can both shoot 4k, despite this i have never felt the need to shoot a cell phone video, edit it, color correct it, and render it as 4k. if im doing 4k video thats getting farmed out to a pro who has some kind of giant NAS in their edit bay or whatever to work with that kind of poo poo.

your insane checklist feature post reads like the most broke-brained IYG style post possible. You've hoisted your own petard, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

thats not how this works

it is now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
forums poster duTrieux sits in a cluttered literary office, books and loosely collated drafts cover his desk. he holds up a musty tome of ancient text, opens it to a dog eared page and points to some incomprehensible, archaic phrase "see look at this, this is the 1700s version of the modern day colloquialism "gently caress me hard with a broomstick." it's fascinating, to watch language evolve. it's living, breathing, just like Mr. Fluffelboots, here. Isn't that right? Boots?"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my spare phone is the perfectly functional iPhone 5 I upgraded from 4 years ago. it sits in one of my spare bedrooms plugged into the wall.

Why do you need a spare phone? my Nexus 6P lasts all day, from the time I wake up, until the time I go to bed. It doesn't lag or bug and works perfectly. It's in perfect condition despite never using a case and living an active lifestyle. I have no need for a spare.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google RCS is what brought me back to this fetid forum in the first place.. and now.. here is an article on it.

someone please tell me what telecom exec needs to be get their guts replaced with dynamite and nitroglycerin to give all cell phones feature parity with aim (1997)

need to "send a message" lol.

Full Article on THE VERGE: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/18681573/google-rcs-chat-android-texting-carriers-imessage-encryption

quote:

e’ve been hearing about RCS, the replacement for SMS texting, for over a year now, but actually using the next-generation service has been nearly impossible due to complicated carrier and phone maker politics. But now Google is taking over: later this month, Android users in the UK and France will be able to opt in to RCS Chat services provided directly by Google instead of waiting for their carrier to support it.

That seems like yet another minor status check-in on the service meant to replace SMS, but in fact it’s a huge shift in strategy: as Google rolls this offering out to more countries, it should eventually mean that RCS will become universally available for all Android users.

For the first time in years, Google will directly offer a better default texting experience to Android users instead of waiting for cellphone carriers to do it. It’s not quite the Google equivalent of an iMessage service for Android users, but it’s close. Not knowing when or if RCS Chat would be available for your phone was RCS’s second biggest problem, and Google is fixing it.[

RCS’s biggest problem is that messages are still not end-to-end encrypted. iMessage, WhatsApp, and Signal are secured in that way, and even Facebook has said it will make all its apps encrypted by default. Google’s chat solution is increasingly looking out of touch — even immoral.

blahblah

quote:

For most users, this is all you really need to know:

If you see the Chat prompt, click yes to enable RCS services from Google. Then if you see “Chat” in the app, you’re talking to somebody else who has RCS.
It’s encrypted in transit, but it’s not fully end-to-end encrypted, so your RCS provider can potentially see the contents of your messages, and turn them over to the government if properly asked. Google says it will delete them from its servers as soon as they’re delivered to your phone — more on this below.
It will work with any other phone that supports the RCS Universal Profile, regardless of whether Google or the carrier provides the service.
Finally, unless you’re in the UK or France, there’s no official timeline for when Google will flip the switch in your country.

quote:

That option isn’t available for RCS, because it uses a “federated model” where different carriers are in charge of the servers that deliver messages to their users. That makes it more complicated, but it’s important that whatever replaces SMS not be solely controlled by a single company.

Because it can’t rely on a central database, Android Messages sends a query directly to the other phone. Drew Rowny, product lead for Messages, tells me when you open a texting window in Android Messages, it pings everybody on that chat with an invisible message (sort of like a push notification) asking if they support RCS Chat, and Android Messages silently responds “Yes” if it does. Those messages are a “capability exchange,” and Rowny calls it a “point-driven” model, as opposed to Apple’s server-based system for iMessage.

Because the phone itself is responsible for telling others that it has Chat, it’s still tied to a phone number. It also means you won’t be able to have messages come in to multiple devices at once, like iMessage allows. You can still use a web interface by scanning a QR code with your phone, but it still depends on your phone for sending and receiving.

blah blah blah

quote:

he fact that Google is finally taking responsibility for fixing the RCS rollout is heartening. It took some gumption to face potential carrier ire and a greater chance of antitrust investigations. It’s going to take even more for the next step: end-to-end encryption.

Technically, there’s nothing in the RCS spec that would prevent building in end-to-end encryption. Google just has to get the GSMA to agree to a standard to add on to the Universal Profile (the spec that lets RCS services interoperate). That’s easier said than done, but again, it’s technically possible. It’s not just carriers, however: plenty of governments would be unhappy to see the default texting method on 75 percent of the world’s phones “go dark,” as the FBI likes to refer to it.

I can’t tell you if Google has the leverage — or the courage — to bring encryption to RCS. I can only tell you that it should.

it is a long article but its pretty good if you havent been Balls Deep in reading about RCS for the past year. it bring read receips and poo poo and sends your poo poo over data instead of the ghetto carrier piggyback horse poo poo sms has done since like the 80s or w/e.

will it work this time? will it suffer the fate of allo? only time will tell.

PERSONALLY, i was a google voice man from a long time ago and even used grand central before it. then i switched all my poo poo over the hangouts which owned but ppl who didnt have it u got the bad sms fallback. but it had good clients on all ur things. anyways google has been slowly deprecating hangouts and it got sick on my telephone and started lagging bad for some reason and not like sending messages for some reason sometimes which DOesnt Pass Muster. i switched to the android messages DEFAULT APP and its cool i guess but nobody i know can RCS with me..................... maybe they will in the future. Maybe they will.

Another Big Question is will Tim Cock in his genius galaxy brain allow for RCS interoperability with imessage? only time will tell...

it would be COnvenient if it was encryped also because using signal for my Crime Chats is cool but it would be cool if all my chats could also be crime chats. would be easier.

wanna flame me? feel free.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Partycat posted:

I mean you printed out ascii art , scanned it in , and added MS paint text instead of ... using ASCII . so in effect you really RCSd that SMS art

scared?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

speaking of tablets, is there a tablet available that through some combination of dongles can output an HDMI signal? specifically one that supports a mainstream app store, so not a switch

anything and a mother freaking chome cast my dude

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
unless its for The Enterprise in which Case... some insanely complex Dante install... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

man I love my chomecast but this would be for travel so I want something that doesn't require wifi

i think u can connect directly to the chome cast w/out fighting the captive portal idk. dc ur chome from ur wifi & test

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

wtf is hangouts on air

It owned. Rip to a real one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My phone is really big, but, you know what? It could be bigger. Let's see some real biguns itt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pebble watches kicked rear end. rip to the pebble. gently caress you fitbit.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Pebble lasted like a week on a charge, had cool themes, good software, and a good vibrate motor. Rip. RIP to a drat real one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My Pebble was destroyed when I fell off a ladder lol and busted it up good. See you in the afterlife my friend.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
think mine was a pebble 2 and it was color. i had a mondrian watchface which was cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Midjack posted:

more like e-stink amirite

wrong.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
loving idiot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

asus does it again

a 6Ah battery, and an active cooling system. wrap it up appleailures

sweet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

asus....thank you :worship:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
looks like pretty cool tech, forums poster rapeface

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Pixel supremacy!!

yea!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i use a 1st gen pixel

that owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got a pixel 3 xl and it owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

what the gently caress is a queen cake

i never hgeard of this either but it looks pretty bomb lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

'ive heard of power hungry devices before but this is ridiculous!' i say as my android phone leaves another fetid electronic husk

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont like to wear watch or some poo poo in bed. i tried with a couple n i just dont like it. also dont give a poo poo about my sleep number stats or whatever.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
android 10 has dark mode which is cool and i tuerned it on =D

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i havent fked with Gesture Navigation Mode tho.... maybe s00n.. idk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

You Am I posted:

I thought it always had a dark mode cos the display drivers were so poo poo :xd:

how so?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

dominos is completely inedible

its fine and even pretty good bro wtf

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think the new pixelbook looks cool and for $600 i might buy it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that's a good price point and I hope they can manage to make it good for that much because computers cost too dang much

this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pebble time for gents, and peble time round for lassies ... epic watches, best ever. Case closed. Bring em back Sundar!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

my battery won't last two hours, but i can pretend to tickle pikachu

listen up: buy some bitcoin now. Sell it when it gets to like $20 grand. I know it sounds crazy, but it will get there. Don't put them in MTGOX. Trust me.

Also: Put a shitload of money on DONALD TRUMP in 2016 on a website that will be called "PredictIt". I know, I know, it's insane - but just do it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vomik posted:

for twelve years, you’ve been asking: Who is Zachary Carpenter? This is Zachary Carpenter. I'm an Electrical/Software Engineer and have worked as a subcontractor on google data centers and still have friends in DC ops near my home town. I try to promote Google stuff whenever/wherever I can, I've had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 and can't wait for the next one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

crepeface posted:

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9633006

im out of anything clever or funny to say about google shutting down another service.

actually rrally sucks kuz google cloud print kicks major rear end

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

whew at least blood is affordable

evergreen lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google clod prnt wrked pretty good but not great. if you could install like a desktop daemon on any platform and it would clod print to the printer you have added to your server it would epic and seemless. set the clod print watever as the default and let people send jobs to it. but then again printer drivers are so hosed up and bespoke with 1000000 different settings idk. printing is just a loving nightmare. cloud print loving OWNS for printering likr normal documents where the most advanced thing is like double sides and the binding edge. but you get into the stock weight and nonstandard sizes and poo poo and it's like so hosed up. let alone like advanced toner options and poo poo gently caress. gently caress printers and gently caress desktop printing. my decent canon printer in the printer optiosn with the proprietary drivers have 99999999999 pages of options and even as the office Printer Master i don't know the gently caress most of tat poo poo is

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

speaking of

this has the potential to own severely and or also be insanely hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
zelle is quite literally "boomer software" kuz its the thing baked into the b of a and wells fargo desktop web pages to send money. its dog poo poo.