Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Knowing the altitude helps you get a faster/better GPS reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

instead of implementing noise cancelling it just yells at you louder when there is more outside noise (or piss). what could possibly go wrong?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:barf: that thing is "great looking" only in comparison to a name that promises racialized violence

e: oh, 2007. I guess they hadn't figured out that capacitive "buttons" suck yet. I thought that was one of those current-day $500 audiophile MP3 players

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soricidus posted:

that would be awesome, like an easy to open phone where you can upgrade the ram and stuff

a phone but it's an ATX case and motherboard at 1:5 scale with a touchscreen on one of the side panels

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jabor posted:

Are they giving OEMs fixed binaries for all the snapdragon versions they didn't want to support any more?

Are the OEMs giving customers fixed binaries for all the phones they didn’t want to support any more?

no.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

in quebec instead of april fool's you have "poisson d'avril," april fish, and the goal is to surprise people with a paper cutout or small toy of a fish. that's the entire prank. your mom gives you a bowl of cereal and there's a plastic fish in it. you go to work and your mouse isn't working and you flip it over and there's a paper fish on the sensor. someone tapes a fish to your back and you walk around like that all day. it is possibly the best prank humans have ever invented.

no thanks, I'd rather have my operating system vendor prank me with some epic fake malware

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What happens if you stick a cable in the forbidden port? :ohdear:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

power botton posted:

Is this 2 screens thing purely due to some supply chain thing where 2x 5.5 screens + cheap hinges + 6 months dev work is like 1/3 the cost of a single 11 screen

seems dumb to do the work on 2-screen android when that is supposed to be the central gimmick for windows x or whatever they’re going to call their next failed sku

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

imagine having those three fuckers lined up on your phone's screen, trying to tell them apart and decipher their meaning

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Management posted:

many head units enforce that you’re not moving via the parking brake line. any competent installer knows to ground that line so that it’s always “parked”

yeah, the alpine receiver I put in my car expects you to do some kind of brake-on-brake-off song and dance to get into the settings menu. I could never get it to work (probably because I am bad at things) so I bought a little circuit kit off ebay that sends it the proper signal automatically and now I can bluetooth in a moving vehicle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I need to compare a soli sensor to an xbox kinect to see which one can more accurately gauge my heartrate by scanning my ballsack

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Google pushed out version 50 of Carrier Services, and afterward, many users—including Samsung, OnePlus, LG, Motorola, and TCL customers—have reported sending-and-receiving issues for SMS. Android Police says it has received some reports of users being automatically downgraded to the previous working version of the app, Carrier Services v48.

If you want to check your version of Carrier Services, the easiest way is to open the system settings, hit the search button in the top right, type in "Carrier Services," and press the app info result for the Carrier Services app (it has a multi-colored puzzle piece next to it). If your Android skin has somehow broken the settings search feature (it happens), the long way is pressing on "apps & notifications," then "see all ~100 apps," then scrolling to find Carrier Services. Once you're on the App info screen, press "Advanced" at the bottom, and you should see the version string all the way at the bottom. If you're on version 50 and having problems, uninstalling app updates (available via the three-dot button in the top right) is a temporary fix.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Is this an Aynrandroid thing or a Google Fi thing?

:ohdear:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/google-breaks-sms-on-many-android-phones-is-rolling-back-changes-now/

I thought the instructions on how to check on some mysterious component that can break text messaging were funny

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last Chance posted:

your child's first steps, brought to you by the POCO m3

The best part is that nobody, not even the owner of the phone, will remember what poco was in five years so it’ll just be a non sequitur

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a version of google maps that works the way it did in iOS 3 or 4 is probably the most enticing android feature I’ve heard of in years. of course they hide it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

repiv posted:

after making all that noise the terraria dev immediately buckled and released it on stadia anyway lol

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/18/22338396/terraria-google-stadia-developer-twitter-ultimatum

I'd like to imagine he got choke-slammed by google's legal team for trying to back out of a contract rather than caving in exchange for a free stadia t-shirt and keychain

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hifi posted:

why is it brown

every zune owner will buy one

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you can leave it plugged in I'd prefer an old thinkpad/latitude with a 1080p screen over an android tablet for that use case

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gotta love "uncensorable app store" with the implication that apps more often get taken down just to stifle free speech than for being blatant malware

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

mobvoi ticwatch

careful, you'll get straight up murdered if you call someone that in the balkans

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bwahaha it has two of those stupid curved edge screens facing into each other. amazing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

the best part is they wont even fix it, its up to microsoft to update the teams app

random applications on android can break core functionality of the device because whatever anything can touch any api herp derp walled garden

awesome, now they can add "partner can't call the cops" functionality to the various "stalk your partner" apps :smith:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

please do not bully children for having an android phone

https://twitter.com/Android/status/1479875457667448837?s=20

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

promising a university unlimited storage seems really dumb. a university believing someone is going to give them unlimited storage for a flat fee seems really dumb

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

why is anyone confused about android updates when the answer in the vast majority of cases is “your phone isn’t getting any lol”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they got rid of the 3:4 (or was it 2:3?) screen a while back which killed any interest I ever had in getting a pixel laptop

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol gently caress this, I'm gonna sell this thing

why did I bother trying it

too long for a thread title?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m wailing with the voices of a thousand damned souls and the new voice-activated google assistant can process commands from all of them simultaneously

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

make the phone vw

apple is going to make a car that is a vw bug milled from a single block of aluminum and vw is going to make a phone that somehow cheats on emissions tests

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

“Fall 2023.” announcing a new phone like six months out seem like it’s too far in the future to generate hype but also too close to just cancel the thing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

AT&T is clearing their iPhones 14 Pro stock so we got two of them for $600 total by trading in our iPhones 12

Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 is $1900+

do those things still break constantly like the first generation did? that's a year or two of replacements baked into the price

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

love the build quality on my creaky $2k plastic phone that doesn’t open all the way

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the saddest part is that in two months they'll have a bunch of unwanted $1800 phones to give away

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wimp lo thermostat spends all summer training itself wrong

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my ecobee came with a wiring kit to work around the lack of a c wire but I didn't end up having to use it because I found the c wire live and loose inside the wall. in short:

Celexi posted:

home hvac iinstallers are dumb as bricks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

everyone decided video calls were dumb as poo poo almost immediately after they became feasible but now the kids and the olds are walking around in public with their phones held out in front of them :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

claiming that AI will "automate your life" sounds like a threat