Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

larfs aside, ive been looking for a reasonable budget tablet running android and its all either various garbage or way more expensive than 2027 ipad, wtf

dont buy anroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do they just not calibrate their poo poo?

its not just calibration, if you want uniform screens you have to pay more because they have a lower yield (and also apple buys all the good ones) and samesung is cheap

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but they're "fixing" it with a software setting, which means they could/should be applying that setting at assembly time and not exposing it to the users

ill believe it when i see it. i doubt it can be truly fixed in software, it's probably going to be a quick hackjob that kills the gamut

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Doc Block posted:

pretend i posted that "it's free software" GIF

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you're looking for wild can i interest you in

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/861995307390963712

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

coke posted:

I saw you actually returned it but going back a few pages and for anyone who might encounter this again and for people who likes and can tinker with things to get things done:

You can try using metal files to work the edge down to desired depth.

Something like this would work.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/files/8-inch-half-round-file-96629.html

Then carefully sand it with various grit sandpaper, start with 300 then ends with 1200 grit and possibly finishing it up wet sanding it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-x-11-in-wetdry-sanding-sheets-assortment-10-pc-60297.html

For wet sanding, be careful to prep it properly so you don't get it wet. You can either take it apart first or tape it up properly.

Total cost, less than 10 bucks :awesomelon:

It will also give you a unique look with the bare metal part too, just cover it with industrial strength sharpie if you want to make it darker. You can also vary the layers of sharpie to get different hue.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the real gently caress up is a loving company selling a phone asking for a picture of drivers licenses in the first place lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

lol who the gently caress spends used car dollars on a fuckin tv

my 4k 65" oled was like $3k

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

Xbox is in no way a success. it is a huge financial failure and Microsoft spent years of creative accounting trying to hide the losses.

the entire Steve Ballmer era at Microsoft has been one gigantic rolling disaster, propped up by windows and office being endless money fountains. the new guy seems to be doing much better in at least not loving up as much as ballmer did. I bet we will never see another real Xbox.

they were the console leader during the 360 era, then they hosed all of that up by not putting the right ram in the console and also thinking that HDMI overlay paired with a cable box was a future (google did this like 7 years earlier with google tv and it failed miserably). they then put a non user replaceable hard drive while simultanously requiring that you install your 50gb games to said hard drive (after constantly ragging on sony for having done this with the ps3).

oh and then put a camera that nobody wants with the console that literally could not be unplugged* or they system would not work

*eventually removed in a software update despite saying it was impossible

ballmer era microsoft was basically defined by "never learn from your mistakes and always double down"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Because it is

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

doesnt anroid re-render every layer of the UI every frame? like even if the background is covered up by a button or folder on the home screen, it still gets rendered, then the overlay happens

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hell yeah i love a 120hz screen on an OS that struggles to maintain 15fps when scrolling text

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

use plex, its good

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im a big fan of how if your chip doesnt work 3 times it just lets you swipe, so you can put a piece of tape over the chip and completely bypass it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Just use plex

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

running java lol

on android, when you refer to the garbage collector nobody is sure if youre talking about the memory management or the user

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao

no.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Perplx posted:

just when you thought android couldn't suck any harder, it sends your dick pics to your mom

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

holy poo poo a feature on a samesung phone that wasnt stolen from apple

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah the roku ones are pretty good but expect that to change because the ceo just said that theyre making tracking and advertising their primary focus.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

tizen is actually worse than anroid tho lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

also it uses enlightenment

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

he had as much as a shot as anyone else since nobody has any experience in creating a quality anroid phone

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/magpie_ms/status/1031920948407140352

lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

they are a chinese company. there is no shortage of brilliant chinese engineers hungry to show their skill. it’s such a shame they copied loving cisco.

lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

anroid: it sort of works

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FMguru posted:

he also spends at least two paragraphs of every phone review either 1) whining about the lack of a headphone jack and damning apple for removing them or 2) praising the presence of a headphone jack and damning apple for taking them out

i got banned from commenting on the verge for calling nilay a moron because he said that the iphone 6 cpu was just as powerful as the a desktop processor because the geekbench scores were similar

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

with gaps like that im guessing elon is going to start using these in the model 3

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

there are already bluetooth headphones

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Amethyst posted:

that's a pretty major difference

android users don't have any friends so its a non issue tbh

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the best part is they wont even fix it, its up to microsoft to update the teams app

random applications on android can break core functionality of the device because whatever anything can touch any api herp derp walled garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

yep, my loose understanding is zelle is similar to an ACH transfer but processed immediately and confirmed later. those are normally, at least i thought, fee-free, but zelle doesn't commit to that for all banks, so i'd guess it's partly built on the risk models banks have for each other for pre-approved check limits cross-bank before batch processing ACH transfers

its basically like handing someone cash which is why it has no ability to reverse transactions and is the preferred payment method of scammers everywhere