Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the steve-style extreme secrecy into a keynote is a stupid marketing trick and it is better for consumers if information about the future does trickle out, i am sure they don't mean to, but it accidentally makes them a less bad company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I don’t know enough to say. it seems like google chooses a kernel for each major release and supports that with security patches for a couple of years or so. of course that means the vendors have to accept the patches into their hacked up kernels and ship a new build, so it might eventually happen.

this means every phone that shipped with ice cream sandwich is still running the ice cream sandwich kernel, even if it has been updated to the latest OS (lol)

i actually think this is the right approach, long as they keep up with the security patching for a reasonable amount of time. as the kernel driver support is irrelevant there is really nothing to be gained updating kernels pretty much ever

if anything changing kernels every major release seems more often than could reasonably be necessary, what are they really getting out of it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

MORE LENSES = BETTER THAN

well, yeah, if you refuse to increase the depth of the device there aren't that many ways of increasing effective sensor area

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haven't seen whether it works out yet, but it is a perfectly plausible route to better camera performance, and better camera performance is one a distinctly useful thing. lot of old nokia people involved with this stuff, and while stuff like the lumia 1020 also looked weird and came with pretty heavy downsides it was a very nice camera.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I'm trying to figure out how much of that lens arrangement is actually required by optics and how much is just laziness

Because goddamn that is an ugly composition

i'll eat my words so quick if they end up using the lens arrangement for some stupid loving effect and half-rear end improved camera performance in normal tasks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

get to it then

do you know something in addition to the picture or is this a gimmick or what?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the counterpoint is quite a number of good implementations of dual-lens systems though, once you go beyond 1 you immediately have a bit of a task to merge the sensor data intelligently, but it does not really get fundamentally harder for any number above 2

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

idk it's really difficult to determine if this android pos with 20 cameras glued to it is a gimmick or not

if it was huawei or even samsung maybe, but the old nokia camera team and zeiss did knock out stuff like the first optically image stabilized modules and other pretty neat advances on previous outings

could still be some silly gimmick thing, but to me at least this falls under pretty interesting stuff to follow

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Triglav posted:

"the surprising thing here is that Google ever allowed it on the Play store in the first place"

does good actually police apps now?

afaik no

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

:iiam:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

and people are making fun of apple's naming rn

apples naming is way worse than this, Sirocco is the only weirdo on the list (reference to a classic nokia apparently). the number corresponds roughly to where it is in the market (e.g. price bracket), .1 is a newer revision, and plus have larger screens than the corresponding non-plus

there are, granted, rather many of them to keep track of, but differentiating between many models using a number sequence is in and of itself a rather established practice. arguably the original purpose of numbers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

google abandon good stuff all the time, and i need you to not give them any further ideas lest they kill off scholar next

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

is Huawei any good. it has a cool looking name, but, I've never seen anyone talk about their products ever, and, have never heard the word spoken out loud. I could see it being either hoo-a-why (or way) or wah-why (or way)

nah, they do decent hardware for low prices (they do their own socs so they can shave of some costs there), but they gently caress up the software a lot, and i wouldn't trust them to do anything useful with this camera setup (though i think it is again horrid overprocessing software letting their cameras down)

they are the second-largest phone manufacturer in the world though (apple fell to third just this summer), so obviously the things they sell do more or less function

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

expensive phones are a waste of money, and consumerism really is a bad thing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the world of technology certainly is a depressing place

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the same was claimed about ericsson base stations for a long time, but really near as i can tell they just hired all the people who actually designed the ericsson base stations, which is entirely fair game

would be unsurprised if that wasn't at the core of the cisco stuff too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

there are almost none of those people in the larger scheme of things, you just happen to know a bunch of them

same thing with the strawman hipster apple fan, these companies sell tens of millions of phones

tbf they are often also really funny, and this is rather the thread for seeking them out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

android really is bad, but just make sure you get a phone on android one and it is bad in more funny than despair-inducing ways (i.e. the security update policy is weak but exists on one)

i really hope a third alternative does surface at some point

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Furia posted:

I have considered checking out ubuntu phone or mobile or whatever it’s called how sad am I going to be afterwards?

it's dead isn't it?

i figure the biggest issue with an oss phone is that pretty much all commercial hardware runs on socs which require a bunch of incompatible handholding, extremely fragile firmware setups, and generally paying the manufacturer cash money to have working properly. a bit pre-pc home computer era, but there is no real sign that it'll ever standardize itself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one point for huawei: i use a b525 4g router as my primary internet access, and that thing is actually great

low on features, but very fast, works great, gets excellent signal. probably the first time ive *liked* a router

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i *think* fossil is the originator of these, there are a lot of fashion brand variants

i have at times pondered buying a kronaby, which is a non-fossil, but they are pretty pricey and almost as pointless as actual smartwatches

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is on android one at least

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the HMD Nokia phones look actually almost decent, it's super weird

on one level the nicest thing you can say about them is that they have not hopelessly messed them up in some boneheaded way, but that is actually a nicer thing than you can say about almost all android phones

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that palm gimmick is a great approach and i believe a competent well-funded company could make something good of it, but here is 100% no way branded-crap manufacturer tcl has made anything even distantly useful for any purpose

competing with apple and samsung is a fools game, but i have no doubt that you could make good money catering to the right niches *competently*

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as i never use the front camera anyway i'd be very happy to give it up rather than have the screen notched, manufacturers need to work a lot harder on differentiating in straightforward non-gimmicky ways

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

are you a tech journalist? constantly demanding change for change's sake so you have something to review could be a good career for you

how is this change for changes sake, i was pretty specific why i wanted it? there are thousands of models of phones about, no one cares about your new ai chip, so playing with the formfactor/hardware tradeoff seems a pretty good way to go

not least since apple is never going to vary their stuff very far (unless they intend to expand the range a fair bit more), so you're very safe if you find a niche

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no need to support a company, just a model, and the design work involved is quite minimal. i agree we won't see it happen though, so very safe to bet either way v:shobon:v

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

given that no devices in the android space except samsungs generate profit and those only do so due to the name (and even then id wager only due to "anything but apple" sentiment not because what they are) theres a strong argument for no one making any android devices at all

why gently caress around with form factors and custom implementations of this and that when literally the best way to make money is to stop making the poo poo altogether?

this though may be quite true, but if manufacturers insist on a thousand designs a year i am pretty sure there is more interesting options to consider than to do than knock-off custom deep learning chips

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, that was my literal post yes, though then tempered with "and/or why bother making a phone at all". this making phones but making them ones no one wants seems a losing strategy overall (tax dodge of some sort?!)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

seems unlikely to turn out a good idea unless there are much thinner screen assemblies than i expect, but neat not least in that the camera budget is then not spent on two separate ones

mostly though i too am very much of the opinion that it is at minimum a lot of fun seeing this sort of thing head to market

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if we're going to namedrop a meaningless american design personality as the originator of the notched displays it should be andy rubin

in actuality we should of course name some engineering team at samsung that came up with the process for making them, to then (most likely) offer them up fait accompli to the likes of essential and apple, but we don't know their names, and it'd *still* be a bit weird a thing to do to celebrate the creation of fairly pointless consumer goods

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

getting to hate the rounded corners, seemingly with increasing radii, more than the notch on each new design

dropping a few pixels is not a huge deal, but i do still prefer a mostly rectangular screen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh it would be a sad thing to see an uber driver with an iphone. one can at least hope that he'll dig his way out of whatever has trapped him in that lovely job by not making too extravagant purchases

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

can you actually make money ubering? i mean with gas and maintenance is it a net positive?

can't say i know. i think people do make some money, but often sub-minimum-wage, and taking huge personal risks in the process

i think it is safe to assume that every uber driver is in it out of either desperation or stupidity

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

also gently caress rounded corners on displays, they're almost as bad as having a notch

:yeah:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

now that it is possible to get security updates consistently without chasing the latest version it is just annoying to wake my phone and discover that suddenly exactly half the ui has rounded corners and the clock has moved to the other side of the screen for no reason or actual benefit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

android one *is* an actually good thing, improving on a key issue with android

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the other side of android one is that it'll only send the data to google, as it is necessarily a 'pure' image. surely getting google some sweet cash then selling it to china :smug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

now that it is possible to get security updates consistently without chasing the latest version it is just annoying to wake my phone and discover that suddenly exactly half the ui has rounded corners and the clock has moved to the other side of the screen for no reason or actual benefit

every single place where they have hastily added rounded corners has made the ui worse. information dropped to make room and stuff that used to be visually attached (e.g. notifications to the tray where they live) now float for no reason

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

what the heck the people behind the new Psion just made another phone: Cosmo Communicator

It sounds surprisingly decent

it does not look decent at all, but more fun than yet another identical slate so it'll be interesting to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

so if that huge flowchart isn’t accurate anymore, what’s it like now?

project treble defined stable abi's, so upgrades now don't require driver updates and thus needs no soc vendor involvement. you'll still want to get on android one (i.e. clean install which gets updates pushed by google on schedule) to reliably get the advantage of it