Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

gently caress NASCAR

This but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's my question. IMSA and NASCAR are essentially two sides of the same org. How the gently caress is NASCAR so backwards and IMSA is all "Hey, the DPs are out of date, how do we refresh them and make them attractive to makers?" and pull it off in the best way possible?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always thought "SPEEDWEEKS" was a better way of pitching that to fans, but that's just me.

I think to me it's just the fans kinda being able to channel their annoyances towards what NASCAR has become via that commercial.

Speedweeks I think is more geared at the hardcore fans, where as daytona day is supposed to draw in the more casual viewers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

I didn't really watch commercial but I'm guessing if NASCAR wasn't so ham-fisted with the Daytona Day title it would've been an average commercial if they just dropped Daytona Day title?

Nah, not really. It was really ham fisted in general, making it seem like regular people treat it like the super bowl

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

I would think that the some of the heavy hitters in NASCAR are getting tired of all the rule changes.

Getting tired?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rip milwaukee

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saucer Crab posted:

Stock cars on road courses is almost always a blast to watch and my crazy fantasy scheduling would probably be 1/3 road courses if not more.

That's why they founded imsa

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Turdsdown Tom posted:

the question is.....can we race the truck

So racing the haulers?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why is fox so loving terrible?

I don't hate the drivers or teams of Cup. They're fine.I'm trying to support them by watching this sport. But good loving night...can you stop kissing NASCAR's corporate rear end, Fox. Sorry to vent..but it's getting old.

Hmm... corporation who likes Trump also likes fellow corporation that likes Trump. Nah, nothing with that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Don't think I've said it yet, but NASCAR dumbing down the engine noise is akin to the Cleveland Browns having an awful team and going "LET'S CHANGE THE UNIFORMS!". It might be nicer at tracks, but it's still not fixing the god drat aero package.

Good news, everyone! The number of 1.5 milers gained and lost next season will wash out:

http://jeffgluck.com/charlotte-motor-speedway-road-course-2018-playoffs/

Bad news(?): It's the Charlotte Roval. I'm glad the Glen and Sonoma are staying Summer races, though. MAH TRADITIONS!

They should have used new Hampshire's roval

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/849408810804543488

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

quote:

The decision made by NASCAR follows the arrest of the track’s owner Bruce Bemer last week.

Bemer was arrested for allegedly patronizing a trafficked person. According to a Hartford Courant report, Bemer and another individual allegedly enticed young men with mental health problems into a human trafficking prostitution ring with the lure of money, drugs and vehicles.
:wtc:

That is seriously, seriously hosed up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, also. Seeing as you guys now have a mod who regularly reads the thread, thread title changes are now a thing. So if you want a new one, just let me know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's Staged wins, but hooooo that last one from Peanut was :stonklol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/clintbowyer/status/850139010265735172

:tif:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, this feels like a good ol' heat race. Well, sort of, but yeah.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NASFACTS/status/852896503270133760

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elitist Bitch posted:

Lordy, Jenna Fryer is getting shelled like a September callup. I can't even find a link to the article because her timeline has gotten nuked.

E: found it:
http://racing.ap.org/article/column-so-what-alonso-racing-indy-500?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

Perhaps some of the open wheel goons can explain the hate? Objectively she seems to have a good point.

Basically he wants to do something only one other person has done, but how dare someone from F1 come to Indy Car (completely ignoring Rossi and JPM, among others).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Feels good when all the racing threads come together to collectively call something poo poo

It does.

Also, speaking of the major three threads, I do have something planned for the Monaco/Indy/Coke600 day as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Tuned in late, why is this red flagged? They're in total time killing mode, so they've shown all the replays and had all the discussion they needed to, but for someone like me who tuned in a bit late, now I'm just seeing a red flag for some reason.

Debris

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wow, really? It just seemed to stretch on for so long, to the point where I was wondering if it was raining and just not coming across on the stream. Well then, back to green we go.

Actually I don't know. I'm bored in class and thought of the most NASCAR reason for a red flag.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

You were actually right though.

Really? :laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

Nascar must be panicking right now. They already have attendance issues and this is the #1 worst thing that could happen as far as that goes.

Good for Jr. though, retire while he's still young and got his health. Now Fox just needs to get him to replace DW in the booth.

Yeah, I definitely see him going into broadcasting.

Shame he never pulled the championship off, but everyone liked him regardless.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Kenseth, I find it hilarious the last two times a Wisconsinite won it all (Kenseth in 03, Kulwicki in 92), between the two of them they only won a grand total of three races.

Too bad those days are gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/856862828053106692

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of crossovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yaCqriUgXI

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, and he's definitely one of the greatest drivers of all time. How many people could take a car like that, start pushing it, go off once, and then never go off again once they get the feel for it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bestwick also is one of their CFB announcers, so I think he's relatively safe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else watch the GRC race from Memphis?

What a fun rear end track. drat. Why did NASCAR bail on it?

Let's see. Is it a southern, non-1.5 mile tri-oval?

There's your answer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, you could take my post, swap "southern" with "historic" and you have Milwaukee and every northern track they've abandoned.

Now I made myself sad. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like how they've bailed on the Mile despite the fact that ASA, and short track series kinda built a good portion of modern cup racing.

Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace,, Alan Kulwicki, and Matt Kenseth all were making their names around those sort of circuits. But I mean, that's not where race fans come from. No sirree. They come from the suburbs of Chicago and Kansas City :downs:.

I understand why the Cup never came here. Not enough stands. But for Indy and the lower series it was fine.

I think the problem is NASCAR itself and sponsors (this affects Indy more) need butts in the seats in order for them to feel it's worthwhile. I think they feel having it tag along with the main series will increase attendance because "well, if we're going to a race, might as well make a weekend out of it!"

Which is probably why they're still allowing busch wackers. Draw more fans to actually show up at the race. TV ratings are secondary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As much as I hate to bring crossover comparisons here, but I think Indy is on the right track (:haw:). Focus on in-person attendance first, then worry about the ratings. If no one is going to your races in person, why do you think they're going to watch on TV? NASCAR is so fixated with ratings that they're floundering and trying to figure out what to do. Basically, they forgot what got them popular and aren't doing it.

What I'm saying is kill the chase/playoffs/stages and go back to good old "who can drive the fastest over XY0 miles and reward the person who is the most consistent at doing that with the championship."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what lead to the decline then in your opinions? My vote is the Chase, but that's me

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Incoming hot takes from yours truly:

Nuke the chase/playoffs/whatever. The classic point system is what got them into the glory days, not some convoluted bullshit.

Cut down on Busch Whacking. Limit drivers in NXS and MECS to 5 crossovers between the two series. If it's a track that only that series does (such as NXS only doing RA), it does not count towards these 5. Daytona 500 also doesn't count towards this limit. Crossover to Trucks is fine because we're talking two completely different type of cars here.

Keep on promoting the 500 as your big race, and allow open qualifying for it because of it's nature (taking a page from Indy here).

Stages are... good? They're not terrible, because they do accomplish something that was needed: a way to make the middle of the race interesting. Just make it so the two early stages are a quarter of the total points, and the last half. Rewards consistent driving over a race as well.

Race length is a problem. Cut down on some of the three hour races down to two. The most historic races can maintain the length.

Cut down on repeat tracks and return to some of the more historic tracks that have been ignored. Add another road course. Use NXS to judge potential fan reaction to a race there. If a race is successful, consider bringing the big show along as well.

Cut back ticket prices, or try to anyway.

The charter system was good intentions that failed. Having massive teams is not healthy, and I understand that. It needs some work.

Limit the number of paint scheme changes per year per car. Say 3, maybe 4 different ones (regular, Daytona 500, Darlington throwback, and a special one off for a specific race).

Above all else: stop chasing casual fans and shore up your existing fanbase. It's easy to grab attention, but to hold it after that is the tricky part. You're falling at the latter, NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with ads is it's a universal plague here in the US. TV shows have gotten shorter and shorter as networks sell more ad space.

The problem with racing is they don't have logical breaks in the action for ads like other sports (except association football), except drag racing, but that's a very hard type to broadcast live anyway. I mean yeah, cautions/FCY/SC is probably the best time to do it, but if you don't show ads, the sponsors get bitchy.

And if the sponsors get bitchy, they threaten to pull out.

Given almost every company these days are solely there to turn a profit, guess what they choose.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 2, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I think Xfinity can be saved, but the problem is the crossover from the main series. While forcing people to only get points for one series, Busch Whacking is strangling the series. End Busch Whacking before we say kill the series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

There is no saving NASCAR. There are too many entrenched interests that will block any meaningful change.

Instead, they should invest in a lot of new series and see what sticks. (GRC for exampled)

I'm not so quick to write them off personally, given everyone thought AOWR was dead after The Split. It's still kicking. A shadow of it's former self maybe, but it's good, the racing is good, and people are having fun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think so? Both NASCAR and IMSA have links to each other on their sites way on the bottom, and Jim France (same family as NASCAR) is the chair.

On that note, I think part of why IMSA has been thriving instead of wasting away is because DPi is a fantastic way to get factories involved without spending the loads of cash that a LMP1-H needs. They also never had the following NASCAR has so they know they're a niche racing type, so there's no need to go full on ham-fisting gimmicks into it.

:sigh:

I also miss the days of #24 having the rainbow scheme, but that's a different matter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

IMSA is owned outright by NASCAR.

It's scary how well run IMSA is compared to NASCAR.

Then again, as I just said a post above yours, one is a niche type of racing (though I don't get why more people don't want to watch the classic slugfest of Corvette vs Ford GT vs Ferrari vs Porsche), so there's no need to try to recapture the lightning it once had, which is exactly what NASCAR is doing.

I think they correlate the fact that ratings still went up after they implemented the chase as a sign it was a good thing.

The problem is, no other series does point gimmicks that extreme. Both major open wheel series have, or still do in Indy's case, done double points for the last race (and the 500 for Indy for the obvious reasons). Beyond that, I can't think of anything even remotely close to the chase/playoffs/this loving thing in racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

British Superbikes do a chase for the title.

big nipples big life posted:

NHRA does an elimination style championship but it fits a bit better with the sport since every weekend is an elimination race. The name The Countdown is dumb af though.

Ah, thanks for letting me know!

And yeah, it does fit for NHRA just by the nature of the normal weekends.

Then again, NHRA is a bit of a niche sport too, which is probably why that flew under my radar.

• Locked thread