Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i love klaus, but there should never be an episode built entirely around him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i think the funniest episode of american dad was probably the one where one of roger's personalities splits off, becomes a goody two shoes, and ends up dating an audrey from little shop of horrors analogue

it was also funny in a more recent episode that they revealed he has a personality whose twin brother is human, and their mom is another one of his personalities

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

Even modern Family Guy can have episodes that I won't immediately turn off until in the middle they get the guy with "the voice" to just do some rambling 3 minute gag out of nowhere and I'm out.

Can you give an example? I'm curious, and I still watch Family Guy on a regular basis because I'm curious to see what direction it'll go in/how much worse it'll get.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I've always found it to be a very dull show. It's not painful to watch, but there's nothing about it that makes me want to watch it. There's a lot of jokes where my reaction is, "Yes, that certainly was an attempt at humor."

I 100% agree with you. I've given it several chances and I haven't found it funny or interesting at all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s one of the best guest appearances in the series. It’s a shame he’s an insane fascist now.

It creeps me out that Family Guy pokes mild, gentle fun at him for being a pedophilic self-centered rear end in a top hat.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i really like seeing people who know about art talk about how simpsons animation has changed, because i don't know a god damned thing about art -- i only know that what i'm seeing now isn't as good as what i used to be seeing

also, the college professor bit made me literally lol at work. so much greatness once upon a time

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
summer of 4 ft 2 aired when i myself was an 8-year old geek trying to fit in with a new crowd, and it was such a perfect addition to my life :unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

That 2-parter where he marries the terminally ill woman trying to make her happy in her last days and she unexpectedly goes into remission and then he actually has to try to have a real relationship with her was loving awful.

which one is this?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Diet Poison posted:

S3E2 - Mr Lisa Goes to Washington

it was a fun episode! it was very very sarcastic about the government though

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

4 minutes of the most expensive joke-less animation you'll ever see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDbF9GGnfgQ

wow, i didn't even crack a smile

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

I've learned to never watch the videos posted in this thread unless it looks hand drawn.

I mean, I always know they're going to be unfunny, I just never know HOW unfunny and I'm always morbidly curious

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

Wow that thing is kind of exemplary of what's wrong with most of modern Simpsons writing. At first, you think maybe it's mocking the idea of resurrecting celebrities for our amusement, maybe it's a rip on the soullessness of the tech industry. But then there's an attempt at shock humor that's not all that shocking and the slow, stilted delivery takes out any possible bite. The joke goes on way too long and overstays its welcome with lots of post-script and :thejoke:.

I guess one of the better parts of early Simpsons satire/parody is that it was never so specific. It wasn't always "Let's go to the Mapple store. Wow, it's Meve Mobs. Meve, will you sign my MyPod? Wow, Meve, why are you saying lines that are poorly-hidden criticisms of you, your business, and products? Well, back to Springfield characters doing Apple gags for a few minutes." Like here's the bit on standardized testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLwDBcgSjs

The comedy is a mixed bag of character humor, jabs at the working world, education system, validity of standardized testing, and lots of other stuff. Can't imagine newer Simpsons pacing it well and not stopping for one character to deliver an "ironic" monologue on why testing is bad.

the comedy was also nonstop. just constant jokes of all kinds, with great pacing. I miss that kind of art

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
i thought they actually mentioned in the 138th episode that springfield was in michigan, but i could be misremembering it since i haven't seen the episode since it aired

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Improbable Lobster posted:

q
IIRC the 138th had a couple different versions of that line that line and each had a different state.

huh, that's smart of them

and of course now that i see a post that says northern kentucky, northern kentucky seems kind of familiar

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Also "shut up an take my money", which is from one of the top 3 worst episodes

which episode was that from?

Data Graham posted:

Susan Boyle sure is a joke that aged well on top of being not stupid and tone-deaf to begin with

the susan boyle episode was the one that made me quit futurama altogether

also, fry & leela's relationship made so much more sense in the pre-cancelation seasons. it went from "leela's cyclopean situation has given her abysmal self-esteem & she thinks fry's the best she can do" to "leela is fry's soulmate".

also also, i consider jurassic bark the worst pre-cancelation episode. cloying dreck.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
oh, lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mak0rz posted:

I don't even remember any of the Futurama movies at all. I have a vague recollection of The Beast with a Billion Backs but that's about it.

the only things i remember about the futurama movies are the "trinity's going to war" song which occasionally gets stuck in my head, and all that weird Amy & Leela centaur stuff that mostly seemed like geek fetish fanservice

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

brugroffil posted:

The Amy and Leela fan service stuff got so bad in the reboot at times

yeah i'm not exactly innocent to weird fetishy stuff as a long-time citizen of the internet, but i thought that the stuff i was seeing with amy & leela was stuff i would be free from unless i specifically sought it out on deviantart or tumblr

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

As a kid I never got the “Flaming Moes/flaming ‘mos” double entendre til they pointed it out in the commentary

Cessna posted:

I didn't get it until a few seconds ago when I read this.

Same.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
yeah, the rover hendrix thing is just a quick dud, nothing particularly noteworthy imho

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Applewhite posted:

Is American Dad still good? It was still going really strong the last time I watched but I sort of fell out of touch with it at around the point Jeff was trying to get back from space.

yes, absolutely. some of my favorite episodes of the entire series (shell game, oretron trail, census of the lambs, death by dinner party) are from the most recent season, but one of my least favorite episodes (mean francine) also is. this is excellent for the 15th season of any television show.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I agree that American Dad has had a fair share of brilliant moments, but for every good episode there's like three where:
- Roger has created a new persona
- Roger says he will use this persona to help a member of the family
- Surprise! He's actually screwing over the family!
- At the last minute he repents and/or they forgive him anyway because he is "family."

Seriously, this is like 1/3rd of all American Dad episodes.

this is true, however 1) it's still hilarious like 99.9% of the time, and 2) the episode where he volunteers to act as a puppet for steve's talent show but the face paint ends up killing or attempting to kill a bunch of people is loving great

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

AD is great because they'll just roll with an absurd concept.

Littlest Shop of Horrors but with a hot tub? Yeah, alright. Boy Witches? Go for it.

Hulu added a couple of the TBS seasons when I wasn't looking and it's as good as ever.

people have also been talking about how musical episodes are terrible, but the hot tub episode was musical and it was amazing (hot tuuuuuuub o' loooooooove...)

also, the episode where josh groban sings at an event to publicize steve's fake kidnapping & fake rescue

edit:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think someone with clout at TBS hates the show though. Like literally loathes it. I'm not sure even Fox has worse scheduling.

seriously the show is so loving funny and the season starts in february and it airs on a loving monday night, WHY

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

I appreciate that they will come up with any excuse to make Steve sing.

going with the coooolonel, gonna be safe with the coooolonel

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

God I miss the old epoch
Simpsons weren’t a laughingstock
Julie Kavner still could talk
Those were the days

:perfect:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly it doesn't even sound like a modem connecting noise, just random grinding sounds.

it was so bad. so very, very, very bad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It was always weird and a bit uncomfortable when Futurama would do obvious fan service and fetish poo poo. But it was a bit more tolerable because the writing was better (I think we can all agree that however you feel about Futurama’s later seasons or how its original run compares to the Golden Years, that its original run was better than Zombie Simpsons) and because, you know, Leela and Amy were already a bit sexualized - and sexual - so it felt less out of place.

Plus, you know, neither Leela nor Amy were based on the creator’s mom.

Amazon Women In The Mood was a good episode but there was either an episode or a movie where Leela & Amy were like, wrestling centaurs or something and it weirded me out. I think it bothered me probably because the episode wasn't otherwise good enough to distract me from what they were doing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

i feel gross just having read the wikipedia :catstare:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
the only actual highlights of that video were when the moon rock fell on fry and amy's "wait a minute...HOT lava?" line

otherwise, yikes. YIKES.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

Started season 2 and Bart Gets an F is a good episode that's not really funny. It's very emotional and Nancy Cartwright did amazing on Bart's voice. It's also an episode that was rough, because I was a lot like Bart, and in my 30's I found out I had ADHD the whole time.

it was a great episode, and it resonated with me for the exact opposite reason. i was one of the "gifted" kids, learned to read early, got skipped ahead a grade and got all As, and it gave me a soft-er spot for the kids who were slower than me (god this sounds like such a humblebrag but whatever).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

Trying to think of any animated sitcom where major changes stick for more than a couple episodes and I'm drawing a blank.

i don't know if bojack horseman counts, but sarah lynn died

also, in family guy, suzie was born and mr. weed died

Cubone posted:

"can I borrow a feeling" was perfect set-up and pay-off for getting them back together and luann was just like EW NO.

take my hand with your glooove of loooooove

god, the simpsons was such a funny show, lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

the coloring is so...flat :geno:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hedenius posted:

That’s what strikes me when people post very recent stuff. It’s seems even more stiff and lovely compared to the early 2000’s stuff. Is it? Like I’m not going to watch this poo poo and check.

and the thing that kills me is how NOTICEABLE it is. i'm not exactly an animation snob, and i'm horrible at art myself, but the quality is so low that it's obvious even to ME how terrible it is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tree Goat posted:

y'all have read the rebecca sugar comic about simpsons line quoting, right?
https://dawolfey.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/dont-cry-for-me-im-already-dead-by-rebecca-sugar/

god, this comic is just vomitously ugly

edit:
why on earth would al jean promote this? shouldn't this be embarrassing to him?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

it always kind of bugged me that "yvan eht nioj" as they sing it is absolutely nowhere near "join the navy" backwards, though the episode itself is amusing enough

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Phlegmish posted:

I have to admit that it's only now that I realize the name is a Simpsons reference

this is like when it finally hit me that "manic street preachers" is street preachers who are manic, not preachers who are on manic street

Mind Loving Owl posted:

That episode where it turned out all the male Simpsons have some weird early onset dementia always left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, we have this whole big deal about Lisa's entire reason for being being shaken by not figuring out one stupid puzzle, and instead of just having her realize everyone has off days or weak points, we have it so all her lady relatives are geniuses in Lisa approved fields (no lady oil tycoons or Serena Joy style pundits) and every bloke in her family is doomed to go senile at age ten. It's weirdly mean-spirited in a way the show doesn't seem concious of. Also, Grandpa knows about this, but didn't remember all his cousins and aunts and the like were super successful?

gently caress, i never had any issue with this episode and now i'm kind of bummed out & miffed

Cubone posted:

the only episodes I remember was, the teen angel learned he could time travel, so he traveled back in time to stop himself from eating the burger, but then the other kid ate it and became an angel, but it didn't stop the original teen angel being an angel for some reason, and the two of them traveled back again to stop them both from eating it, but then Jerry Van Dyne slipped on the burger and fell out the window and died. eventually everybody in the house was murdered by the hamburger. I don't remember how it was resolved

this sounds absolutely loving hilarious :haw:

Razorwired posted:

Teen Angel isn't even the worst post-Sabrina magical sitcom.

The genie show, You Wish, was all about the genie trying to trick the family into using up their 3 wishes so he could leave. It had an episode where an old genie was sundowning and wanted the genie + family to euthanize him by firing his body into the atmosphere so he would burn up and become a shooting star.

this sounds incredibly dark

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The episode that broke me for Futurama was the Close Encounters parody. Any time they try to do mythology stuff after the first cancellation it's dire. I should have stopped with the Susan Boyle joke though because that's as bad as they come.

i'm STILL mad at the susan boyle episode. gently caress that episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fojar38 posted:

Elfo being hot for princess loving sucked though and I'm not sure what they were thinking aside from trying to do a Fry/Leela thing without realizing why the Fry/Leela thing worked

here's the thing about fry & leela -- fry was a self-centered dumbass with absolutely nothing to offer, and leela had self-esteem so utterly abysmal (she was, after all, ostensibly the only one-eyed alien in existence who grew up as a lonely orphan) that she slept with zapp brannigan & nearly married that shapeshifter who treated her like dirt. the only reason the fry/leela thing "worked" is because she didn't know she could do better, unless both of their characters were COMPLETELY overhauled in the post-movie era.

if that's the point you were trying to make, then i'm totally on board and apologize for my ramblings.

edit2: i apologize for my ramblings anyway because i feel like i've ranted about the true nature of fry & leela's characters/relationship like eighty times in this thread, lol

edit:

Cubone posted:

I found it funny as a kid and honestly as an adult I still find it funny at least in abstract

the idea of a hamburger just massacring everyone is loving great, and now i want to see it

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 12, 2019

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn listen to Julie Kavner barely wheezing out her one line

seriously, i understand that people age, and i'm probably not going to sound the same after 30 years either, but jesus christ

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Phil Hartman's death hosed me up not only because I was a huge fan of Newsradio & The Simpsons, but also because I was the same age as his kids when he was murdered so I thought a lot about how their lives were affected. Same with OJ Simpson's kids, although I wasn't a fan of his or anything.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think the first time I decided that I don't want to watch the Simpsons anymore was the 25 anniversary episode

i don't know when they happened chronologically, but my quitting point was either that stupid sideshow bob italy episode with the little kid who kept screaming "vendetta", or the episode that was literally the exact same as the jessica lovejoy episode except not as funny & with a different girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

The PJs loving owned

jesus marion barry! :monocle:

yeah i loved the PJs too