Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This is kinda neat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Nah, there's another angle (I think the goal post cam perhaps?) that showed his knee hovering barely over the ground. His second effory got him in before his right knee touched.

Yeah, the replays showed the ball was clearly across the plane while his knee was still above the grass, but it's close enough that I'm surprised they didn't do a second look. Best guess is they did, they just didn't tell anyone because it was confirmed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

shyduck posted:

I can't shake the feeling that if the Falcons do something as simple as 3 kneeldowns after the Julio catch, they win the Super Bowl. Am I oversimplifying things here? They really hosed this one up badly

A 40 yard field goal is very likely good, but it's not a gimme. You have to at least try for the first down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I mean the real thing with three kneeldowns vs running the ball three times is that the risk of a lost fumble on those three runs is a whole lot less than the risk of a shanked field goal at 40 compared to at 30.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the Pats lose that game does the Brady futily diving to stop the pick 6 become the new crying Jordan? I'm sure there's a camera angle of his face while diving.

There was a picture of him slumped on the bench afterwards that people were using on twitter until everyone started realizing that perhaps unhappy brady images were not going to be what defined this game.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

extendedsolo posted:

so we are all in agreement that not only did the Patriots have a miraculous comeback, but the Falcons also completely hosed it up? It's both not one or the other right?

The Falcons had to gently caress up literally every single chance they got for like 28 game minutes and the Patriots had to have every single thing go right for that whole time. If the Falcons are just a tiny bit better or the Patriots a tiny bit worse, the Falcons win. Hard to separate out the two given how narrow it was.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

weird Asian candy posted:

Pressure, sure I just love how you automatically assume Bryant misses because he isn't GHOST. GHOST IS THE GREATEST KICKER EVER!

I like Bryant's chances in that spot, pressure or not.

So do I, just not enough to pass up the chance to try to run the ball three times and get a first down to improve them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Seems pretty telling that
1) The people who made DVOA were completely wrong about who would have the much higher DVOA, right after watching the game

I don't think so, they give a good explanation of the hidden variable: that nobody ever really thinks about a disparity in number of plays run. It just always sort of evens out where the team that's running better plays runs more of them. The Falcons somehow managed to run better plays but less of them, something nobody would really think to even consider.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kirios posted:

Worst part about that Super Bowl is Patriots fans turning into neverending shitlords.

when did we start talking about the eagles super bowl

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

I opened up my ipad and the last page on TFF i had loaded was about halfway through the third quarter and we were laughing at the blowout and sad tom brady images

We were young

We were dumb

the edelman catch appears to be the exact second everyone accepted the inevitable in the gdt

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

And was someone seriously advocating not trotting out Matt Bryant for a FG under 50 yards? You have to be loving insane, that guy is probably the most clutch kicker for mid-long distance I have ever seen.

the discussion was if they should have just taken a knee three times and kicked instead of the obvious correct answer, three runs with maybe one pass thrown in there to mix it up with ryan firmly instructed under no circumstance can he take a sack

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

hmm, yes, no other qb in history could pull off a 7 yds/completion through the air rate and have 2 TD/1 INT against a defense that gassed itself due to the incompetence of the coaching staff.

brady literally set the yardage record in the super bowl doing it so it would seem they can't

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

Most offensive plays in a single Super Bowl by one team: 93, Patriots

Most passes in a single Super Bowl by one team: 63, Patriots

every other qb who tries to throw it that much loses, generally badly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Russad posted:

Don't they just ship that poo poo off to third world countries? I remember seeing a bunch of posts about 19-0 gear in Africa after the 07 season.

I think they just destroy it now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

winning without the best player on the team is also kind of nuts (it's gronk he's better than Brady that's right. also Edelmans gf lima is hotter than Gisele)

I'm really glad Gronk got to play in the Seahawks-Pats super bowl because I'm not sure he's ever going to get to another one without an injury. Which really, really sucks as he's such a fun player to watch.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As a Patriots fan it's completely overwhelming how they won and solidified their legacy. I can't believe that comeback and everything they went through this year. It's going to be really tough when they decline after Brady leaves and I have to find a better team to follow.

Brady retiring isn't going to suddenly make the bills and the jets competent

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Good it still hurts him deep inside

there's always next year :getin:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

he forgot the D and tried to salvage it midway through the E!

i actually think he forgot the second o, which looks like a d, and only realized it after writing GODE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Dave posted:

Highly suggest going on instagram and checking out all the videos of Gronk catching, chugging, and slamming beers.

post them that was the best part of the last parade

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Carlosologist posted:

my friend, who is a Falcons fan (but we grew up in New Jersey??), goes to school in the heart of Patriots country and told me he's been in hiding for the last two days because he was talking a lot of poo poo over the last few weeks

thats silly, patriots fans should be graceful to fans of defeated teams because they outnumber us so badly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Has Sunday taught you nothing? Never give up, never surrender.

we should act like we've been there before

because we have

a lot

so many times

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you can even see he's knocked his namecard almost off the duckboat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

he played like garbage in the first half!

the beginning of the third quarter wouldn't have even been the best Brady comeback against a really good qb I can remember, the 24-0 comeback against Manning (when Belichick took the wind)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

ok then 2015 peyton levels of bad

im ok with that provided it ends the same way

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Dave posted:

https://instagram.com/p/BQON9RrjB-L/

Gronk giving a Gronk doll a BJ. Not sure it gets better than this.

it does

he got caught on camera laughing at a 69 joke

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I honestly don't understand why Tom Brady is getting so much attention when he almost blew the game multiple times and Julian Edelman bailed him out repeatedly.

Edelman was part of the reason they were in a hole early on with a bad drop.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

Michael Floyd is a Super Bowl Champion

Glenn Gronkowski is a Super Bowl Champion

Kyle Van Noy is a Super Bowl Champion

Shea McClellan is a Super Bowl Champion

Inshallah

Do you count if you're not on the 46 man active roster? They all get rings, of course, but do they get counted when people do "super bowl champions" if they're inactive/practice squad?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

You don't get the flagging on like pro-football-reference for example (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixoTa00.htm) but I mean, you've got the jersey and the ring, I know I'd call myself Superbowl Champion even if my contribution was limited to pretending to be half of Julio Jones in practice.

gently caress I'd call myself that if I was the water boy as long as I got the ring.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ecureuilmatrix posted:

I know we're not supposed to stereotype people, but...

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/829082975795044358

This man is a real-life caricature. A happy one that is very good at tightending, but still.

gronk is sort of what I think a sixteen year olds idea of being a perfect adult is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gronk has had one hell of a day

edit: oh poo poo it was posted last page. Oh well

we have too many lombardi belichick trophies we can't carry them all

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TBeats posted:

My question is what is your idea of being the perfect adult?

i would have thought respectable and poo poo but i am starting to re-evaluate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aparently edelman didn't believe the touchdown either and bill had to tell him, no, the games over, we won

https://twitter.com/StephenEspinoza/status/829142250831626240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Chris Long also not going to the white house.

:toot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Tom already said, in a roundabout way, that he might not go because of "scheduling" - at this rate someone (Kraft) might call Trump and have the whole thing canceled or done differently so that it's not that big of an embarrassment.

I get the impression someone explained to him in small words that being a trump supporter hurts his ability to get endorsements given he plays in new england, so I wouldn't be that surprised if he made some dumb excuse...and then called Trump up to say lots of nice things to him without realizing Trump will immediately tell everyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

All the players skipping the white house are also skipping a prime opportunity to poo poo talk Trump in person

If I was Donald Trump, seeing a man who could break me in half talk poo poo about me for an hour would be awful. I might even piss myself

It's a photo op, I think they get like five seconds with him to shake his hand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I would be surprised if Gronk knew what the White House was or who the President is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shangri-Law School posted:

I bet Gronk is actually smart and just evil. Only a being of true wickedness could get a ring after appearing on the Madden cover.

Gronk didn't know he was on the Madden cover, he thought that his copy was just personalized.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeahhh Matt Ryan kneels the ball 3 times and you lose so I wouldn't get so high and mighty.

matt ryan couldn't manage to win a game after being spotted 25 points and 2.5 quarters gone

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I have not seen one person unironically imply that the Pats steamrolled. Not sure where you're coming from there unless you've been reading YouTube comments. Everyone knows how close our goose was to getting cooked. Most people still can't believe the game ended

all of the fun is precisely because the patriots were so shithoused for most of the game and still won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

extendedsolo posted:

Yeah at what point does Trump just try to avoid embarrassment and cancel it? Would half the team have to boycott? The next one will most likely be basketball or hockey and we KNOW the Cavs or Warriors or Spurs aren't going there. No one wants to go to Donnie's house because no one likes him.

As long as Brady and Belichick are there Trump will be pleased, though im sure he'll be a petulant manchild about each person who refuses to come even if he has no idea who they are.

If Brady really finds out that oh wow look at that date I just can't cancel my important plans that day sorry I can't make it because Giselle keeps explaining that supporting the president most of his fans loathe is really loving dumb for his endorsements, then I could see Trump canceling it. The team visiting without Brady is a visible slap in the face, the team visiting without a bunch of good but not nationally known players is trivia.

• Locked thread