Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Is it just me or does handsome Jimmy G like the perfect fit for the 49ers? His skillset should be a really good fit for Shanahans offense and who better to establish a winning culture like the QB that won 2 rings with New England.

Ideally we take their first (2overall) and fourth round pick this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Devin McCourty also not going to White House.

I wonder if this reaches a tipping point where there are 15-20 players not going if the White House would cancel it out of embarrassment?

What am I saying, this president can never be embarrassed.

You are aware that Brady did not go to the White House in 2014?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The most Tom Brady move

Also who cares what Tom does.

If Brady skips the 2017 visit because of "prior engagements" it will be national news, maybe even the leading story.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

If anyone has any real insight, how does Jimmy G compare to other previous Brady Backups? I know the sample size is pretty small in terms of NFL tape on him.

Reportedly Kyle Shanahan wanted him over Manziel in the 2014 draft, but he was overruled by a homeless guy.

Take from that what you will.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Noctone posted:

lol I just saw that the patriots are going to have like $60m+ in cap space to work with this offseason. It's almost not even fair how well-paved their path to victory is.

Well, that sounds good until you look at all the free agents they have to resign, like our 2 starting CB (Butler and Ryan), our #2 and #3 TE (Bennett and Lengel), our #2 FS (Harmon), our #1 RB (LG Blount), several members of the defensive front 7 (Long, Branch, Sheard, Hightower) and several other lesser pieces that will probably not have that big of an impact and something will probably done with Amendola's contract, cause that guy is not going to make 6mil next year.

Not saying we are not in a great position and we will win another Super Bowl if we don't sustain major injuries next season, but it's not like we have $60m+ to spend on upgrades.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Blount won't be expensive after his flameout with the Steelers and if he tries to get paid he'll be sent away. Bennett is likely to get overpaid by someone else but I could see them keeping him. A lot of that $60m is going to be spent but once you look at it, it's not nearly as much as you'd think.

But yeah, that's why they traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, cause there was no way to pay everyone whose getting a payday this year.

The big advantage is that NE does not have a single really bad contract on the roster, with the exception of Amendola who can be cut relatively painless if he doesn't restructure. Other than that the worst contract is probably McClellin for $3.2m cap.

But the expensive contracts will be Butler (if they do a long term deal) Hightower and whoever else they retain on defense. Bennett will be gone if he gets >9m py somewhere else, because that's Gronks number.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Right, I keep forgetting how bad the dead cap would be even if they cut Brady next year. That said think they could sign Jimmy to a long-term contract at below franchise amounts as long as it had sufficient guarantees. I expect he'd happily collect good but not great money one year, either backing up or starting, as long as he had sufficient guarantees so he's getting paid no matter what and they have to keep him around because of the guarantees.

Big signing bonus with low first year salary would accomplish exactly that, which is what Brady is doing at the moment (they have the same agent).

But the most likely scenario is that 2 time Super Bowl champion Jimmy G gets traded for a first and a forth to one of those teams in need of a good QB. With the trade your ceiling might be lower because you don't get the rookie contract benefits, but I'd argue that the floor is much higher because you know that Jimmy G can at least start an NFL game without embarrassing your organization, something that is not a given with a bad QB class (remember the class of '13? Don't be the guy who drafts the next EJ Manual or Geno Smith). QB is the only position that is nearly impossible to fill in free agency, especially if you are not a "win now" team that can attract aging QBs that got usurped because of injury (e.g. Manning or now Romo).

And the Patriots are trading him because they already have the next great QB on the roster with Brissett.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
poo poo

We need a new left tackle
https://twitter.com/soldernate/status/829294169462038532

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

It claims to be real. I'm pretty loath to believe its real because it keeps telling me exactly what I want to hear and that makes me suspicious.

The only thing I know of that suggests it might be legit is that account tweeted out something about trump planning on signing an anti-lgbt EO, and other news sources subsequently reported on that, but I never bothered to track down if they actually broke that news first (the order was later kiboshed because gays are probably the one minority trump doesn't have a problem with and that was right about the time he got mad people kept having him sign things without explaining what they were in small words). If they were actually the first to break it that suggests its legit, but my suspicion is that they weren't, or they broke it when it was rumored around DC but not firmly enough for people to report on it.

It's fake. There is no White House staff that stays on when the administration changes that would even entertain the idea of creating such a highly partisan account and have such an high output. All the attempts to proof it to be legitimate have, as far as I know, been disproven by earlier reports of the same content in addition to the fact that they often use vague phrases like "POTUS plans" etc.

As for the actual Tweet, the idea that Trump would lobby Kraft to cut players who skip the WH visit is absurd, given that actually doing that would destroy the franchise and even Trump has to understand that. It's more a "what would a comically stupid dictator do", aka. what plays with the Democratic base.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
So I'm right now debating whether teams should want Martellus Bennett on their team prompted by this tweet

https://twitter.com/MartysaurusRex/status/830099902466314241

Why you would want him? He is a good to very good TE that can block and catch passes.

Why you wouldn't want him? He declined a 7m py contract from New England before the 2016 season, which means his price is almost certainly considerably higher now. His track record with teams is not the best, often developing into some kind of locker room disturbance. In addition to that he is now used to winning and the Patriots way, which might make him flame out even faster if your team is struggles.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

amendola, edelman, "handsome" jimmy g (it's in his name), brady, hogan.

Gronk?

In other news: McCown is going to be on the Patriots coaching staff real soon right?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785185/article/mccown-garoppolo-has-potential-to-carry-a-franchise

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
From Tom Brady's instagram

quote:

This is why we love sports, right? No dogma, no blind faith, no rules you have to buy into -- just attendance. Show up, and miracles happen. People of every race, religion, ethnicity, political POV and lifestyle share a singular experience for a few hours and become one.

Somehow I don't think he will at the White House because of an important family appointment.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Please.

It will be a 3 way with Ivanka and Melania, bro!

:quagmire: *sick electric guitar riff* :quagmire:

you forgot Tiffany Trump

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No rules you have to buy into, eh Tom?

Sure that's wise to say?

What's the score, Jefe?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I just realized that Bill Belichick had all-time great players under him for all of his 7 rings - Lawrence Taylor at the Giants and Brady at the Patriots.

Is Bill Belichick a system coach?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Actually I think for a franchise with seven Super Bowl appearances during his tenure they have hardly any HoF locks.

Because in the free-agency era HoF-locks, outside from QB, might win you a few games but they will not win you championships because the second derivation of cap-hit => increase in team win% is almost certainly negative for every position beside QB in the NFL.

Obviously my previous post was in jest, I just think it's interesting, that Belichick was the coach of two people who are in the conversation about the greatest football player of all-time.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
NFL Network should turn it into an even where QB needy teams compete for Jimmy G. Maybe turn it into a poker tournament where you buy in with draft picks (1st rounder minimum buy in) and than can rebuy as many chips as you like with the Patriots getting everything at the end.

I would watch that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

and the bears and the 49ers only have super-high first-round picks to trade

maybe they'll only offer next year and not this year :smith:

imagine getting a future 49er pick, that turns into a #1 overall pick with which we draft the next great QB.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

AFC East gonna East.

*31 other personal executives are putting a big "EJ MANUEL - DO NOT DRAFT" marker on Cardale Jones right this second*

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

is he cooked?

I ask because Amendola probably should be replaced like last year

Amendola is cool and good. It's just that the only game that gets his juices flowing is the Super Ball, but that's okay if he plays in New England. To be honest, between Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and potentially Floyd or Amendola the Patriots are good at WR and certainly don't need noted shitler Victor Cruz, who said the Patriots would fear the Giants (this year) and who went on that boat trip.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Amendola is fine, he's just being paid like he's Edelman instead of being the Edelman backup. I expect now that he's gotten two super bowl rings and did well in the super bowl he's going to be less into a pay cut and will check the market elsewhere.

Amendola restructured his contract each of the last 2 years to stay with the patriots, each time reducing his base salary down to 1.25m from 5m. I don't think that his performance in 2016 was impressive enough for him to believe he can fetch more on the open market, unless you just look at the Super Bowl.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He's due 6 million minimum this year, that's a healthy chunk of Marty B.

Again, Amendola was due ~5m in 2015, he restructured in the off season to make only 1.25m. Next year he was due to make 5m again, he restructured again in the offseason to make 1.25m. Now he is due to make 6m and, if the previous trend holds, he will restructure to make ~1.25m this off season. Given that every executive in the NFL knows that play time in New England is based on practice performance, they won't give Amendola a big contract because they could think that Belichick blackballed him or some other poo poo, he is just not good enough to replace Edelman on a regular basis and was even outplayed by Hogan and his best use is, at reasonable price tag, to be Edelman insurance.

As for Marty B., he rejected an contract extension offered before the season, when there were still a lot of question marks regarding his character of 7m py, so that would logically be the starting point for any new contract and the ceiling with regards to what New England will offer is 9m py, as that is what Gronk is making and they can't pay Marty B. more than Gronk.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

My general principle: Athletes should stay out of politics and politicians should stay out of sports.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Bennett seems to genuinely have less friction with management at NE than he did anywhere else. I don't think that buys the Patriots much, if any, discount - just that he actually did fit in well.

Bennett is happy when he wins - which is why he had no friction in NE. Once his team loses, the finger pointing starts.

Ehud posted:

Why should athletes be different than any other profession?

I'm happy to hear the thoughts of athletes on matters that impact their profession (e.g. that bill the NFLPA is fighting over with the Bears owners) but other than that I'm not more interested in their opinions than I am in the opinion of some waitress.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's good that NFL players are starting to be more openly left. Still light-years behind the NBA.

How do you feel about the openly right NFL players and owners?

The argument "they support my personal views, that's good." is really weak.

evilweasel posted:

Who is allowed to have an opinion on politics in your world?

People with deep knowledge of the topic they are talking about. That's probably unrealistic today, but that's my view. But it's not about having an opinion but about broadcasting it to a huge following. If an NFL player made an (anonymous) account on some message board to discuss politics, that would be ok.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

but really, do you?

at least the division is internally competitive

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Its probably the commercials more than the between play pauses. Always thought football did a good job filling the gaps between plays with quality replay and commentary analysis, but the obscene numbers of repetitive commercial breaks are such a turn off in an age where streaming exists.

I think even well spaced out commercial breaks are not that bad, especially given the limited number of NFL games. What really sucks the fun out of games is when you have the patented score->commercials->kickoff->commercials combo that just sucks.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Bemis posted:

Why? Did you forget what team this was?

The steelers did the same with Bell and Goodell can't afford to offend the blue blood owners or he is out of a job and with him his whole gang of shitlers.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chichevache posted:

It makes more sense if you remember that GC views Hitler as someone who did great things for the economy.

Nah I'm strictly against public work projects.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Malcolm Butler’s life story is going to get the Blind Side treatment.

Who plays Bill Belichick?

Anthony Hopkins

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

It goes well beyond this. Back in 2000, the MLB created Baseball Advanced Media (BAM), which is basically an internal tech startup that was originally intended to build all the team websites and manage online ticket sales after they got screwed by a consulting firm that was supposed to build the MLB websites and did a poo poo job. This same group built the MLB video player, which actually turned out to be the best streaming video platform in the industry. It's so good that it's been licensed by HBO for things like season premieres of Game of Thrones and spun off into its own separate company (BAMTech), which got a $1Bn buy-in from Disney.

Basically the MLB built their own in-house tech group back in 2000 and inadvertently ended up building the industry's best platform for streaming live video, so they had/have a massive financial incentive to push and improve their digital offerings.

That's just one aspect. Far more important is the fact that the MLB has a ~9.5 times the games per year compared to the NFL and they did not have out-of-market monetization for it when the internet became fast enough to stream (audio/video). The NFL on the other hand already had the NFL Sunday Ticket (fun fact: the invention is largely attributed to Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue fame) since 1994 and therefore did simply not have any content to monetize when the internet became a thing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/832265066103894016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Um...ok? Whooole lotta dead money but they do open up some cap space if that happens. Also means Dallas isn't getting what they want in trade offers.

suuure, remember everyone being amazed that Tom Brady, noted health nut who forgoes (most) human pleasures to be a QB machine, played at a high level being 39 years old?

Now Mr. Romo Glass wants to do the same?

I have my doubts.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Chromatic posted:

*car crash noises*

pleasegetschaubpleasegetschaub

"Matt Schaub, Brian Hoyer could be among 49ers’ targets"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/18/matt-schaub-brian-hoyer-could-be-among-49ers-targets/

Look, if you want to use a BB (Brady Backup) please use at least the latest model, handsome Jimmy G.

Unless you lose the bidding war against Cleveland because you don't have two round one picks, in that case you are forgiven.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Spoeank posted:

but getting a QB with our first rounder would be retarded. And that includes Jimmy G.

We are talking about a team owned by Jed York*.

*actually his mother by who cares.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

tarbrush posted:

How much of a cap hit is Thomas? I guess it's not that important since we seem to be pretty well out of cap hell for the foreseeable.

7m, 8.5m, 9m over the last 3 years of his contract, which is a lot of money for a TE, who had basically one good season, in which his team set NFL records.

For the Jaguars this trade would work out great, given that it would considerably reduce the cap hit compared to cutting JT (3m of this years salary is guaranteed) but for Miami it seems stupid, unless Adam Gase has a mancrush on JT.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

One thing I was just discussing w/ coworkers - what if the Texans shipped Osweiler + picks to the Bears for Cutler? The bears have plenty of cap space, especially if they let Jeffrey go. Make Houston better, let Chicago rebuild, etc

It's so great it'll never happen

The Texans would still have to take a 9m cap hit while trading for Osweiler is a very bad PR move for Chicago, basically giving up on the season before it has started.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

I think Brady's "leadership" skills are more about work ethic and preparation than anything he says on the sidelines.

His mere presence inspires more than anything the 31 other QBs in the league could ever say. There is only one GOAT and if you know you have him on your team, you will believe that the impossible (like a 25 point comeback with ~18min left to play in the Super Bowl) is possible. The other guys than just have to verbalize these thoughts.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
So, uhm, the Jets literally used burner phones to circumvent the "no tampering" rule with Revis - but somehow Goodell has no issue with that?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...=mmehta+twitter

Dock them at least 2 first round picks, because using burner phones and having a "no paper trail" guideline clearly means they broke rules with malice aforethought and should be punished accordingly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
N: "Every indication I hear from inside the Patriots is that Belichick plans to stay on as coach of the team for at least five more years." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693832-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-patriots-big-trade-bait-nfls-athletic-freaks

V: Brady and Belichick one-upping each other who can stay longer in the game to proof that they can do it without the other might be the best thing ever to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kalli posted:

Tom's making a bunch of dad jokes while getting to the bottom of this case. Also yes, Pokemon is dad jokes now.

This is great.

• Locked thread