Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't think this is literally true, but I could swear I read somewhere that Sharon is hanging out with Wyatt Wingfoot on a reservation. Waiting for anyone to remember they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Cloak's (Coming soon to a TV near you!) teleportation powers go through the Darkforce Dimension.

That's where I know it from! I read that and I was like "Darkforce Dimension? Is that a thing? It sounds plausible, I guess."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

We might get a lot of mileage out of the 50 State Inititive, seeing as it got a lot of mileage out of gone & forgotten characters. Cap'n Ultra over there was the Nebraska team. The whole team.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

X-O posted:

Day 5: Red Ronin

I've seen this guy pop a few times over the years, but nobody really ever does anything with him. He was created as someone Godzilla could fight when Godzilla was under the Marvel banner. To me he looks like a Go-Bot version of Colossus.

"Other Distinguishing Features"

Yo, I think that 30 meter tall super robot might be Red Ronin. Can you tell if it has design inspired by traditional Samurai armor from here?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I know Cable was popular around this time, I remember him being popular, but when you lay it all out in the open like this I have no idea what we were all thinking. He's old, he's balding, and judging from this dossier his nipples are theoretically among the most chafed in the biz?

The story I've heard, most frequently from Chris Sims I think, is that when Rob Liefeld sat down to create Cable he looked at the most popular characters in other books of the time: Wolverine and the Punisher. So he made a guy with more knives than the former and a bigger gun than the latter.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Man's Laughter would be a pretty good name for a pretty bad band.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Sounds like something that prick would say.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hh. I picked up on that in JMD's Spectre run, but didn't think much of it because that's just how the character rolls.

I'd like to see Null The Living Darkness take on Spectre.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Did PAD's Hulk deal with these guys? Or am I thinking of, like, a fake Greek Pantheon?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm a little surprised that in 1982 white people still thought Kung Fu was the name of a martial art school.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Lobok posted:

He must get tired of having to explain that his name is because of his powers and not because he's an arrogant/delusional fool who thinks he's master of the whole planet. I would expect that for a villain but he sounds like a good guy?

Reminds me of Earth Man from Geoff Johns' LoSH run. I think in his case it wasn't that he wanted to rule Earth, he was just a racist dickhead that wanted to remind people of how great humans are.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh God, he has themed minions. Why do I like this fucker?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think the only comic, hell maybe the only panel, I've read about Micromax was a random issue of Excalibur that amounted to "meanwhile, Micromax is still in a coma."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Such a shame those fresh-rear end character designs got wasted on Adam Warlock spin-offs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Magus is very of-his-time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Can teleport to anywhere he's never been" is pretty neat I guess.

It says cannot, but I agree. I always liked when mutants would have a special twist on an otherwise stock power. Like Lila Cheney's teleportation: she can go to another planet with ease, but going to another place on the same planet isn't really her thing.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 19, 2017

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I feel like these sort of quirks were more common when writers were big on whipping up elaborate pseudoscience bullshit to justify how random genetic mutation could, say, let somebody teleport to a Hell-adjacent pocket dimension, which is another reason why I wish that was still a big thing.

Of course, it could also just be that there's like ~100 mutants left and they all have relatively straightforward power sets.

I haven't thought about it much, but I always assumed it was just as much a Claremontism as the body modification and "No quarter asked."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yeah, Surtur looks drat good under the care of a good artist, but I'm not too sure how he holds up in the hands of an average one.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I kinda dig how the logo-less version looks hella close to the original X-Men outfits. These dudes c,early thought they were the heroes. What would Marvel look like if the Resostants had underwent their own Thunderbolts arc?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yo, where is San Diablo and why haven't I heard of it before?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Also I like how his flak jacket and boots are special but the rest, including them gaudy yellow Elfin Gloves +1, are "conventional military surplus."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Power Broker was responsible for so many people getting powers that I've knkwn about the name for ages. Never seen him before though. It's a look, I'll give him that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does Ape-X have a handbook entry? I remember her having a pretty "Silver Age DC" design.

Is that a Peter David name?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Fun! I was going to say Mental Organism Designed Only for FUN!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think that's the book where somebody tries to call her out on wearing a bikini and she snaps back "I'm covered in fur and it's like 90 degrees outside!"

Although according to this, she can just choose to not be covered in fur. That's Tigra for ya, I guess.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's this brief period in the early 80s (the one with the Molecule Man story which was pretty good) where the Avengers team is Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Yellowjacket, the Wasp... and Tigra. I think that's an odd line-up; it's basically the original team plus one.

On the other hand, it's basically her whole deal summed up: Tigra has always been a warm body to fill out a team roster. She is one quantifiable unit of superhero.

Doesn't seem like a high bar, but it keeps her coming back every now and then.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

I like you sister more. Sorry, dude. :/

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Wait, Atlantis is a nation with a capital called Atlantis City? I'm used to DC where it's usually one and the same. How much more of the ocean do they control?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I could see Doom making a killing off stocks. It'd be a small part of a much more elaborate plan though, otherwise he wouldn't bother with something so trivially simple. :doom:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I knew Axe body spray was an evil plot.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think she was on a post-Annihilation, pre-GotG team with Starlord. It wasn't awful, I guess.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Isn't Marvel Boy a Kree mutant? I know he's technically from another universe, but was it one that had its own Operation Galactic Storm?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The early 90s were actually even worse visually than the SPIKEGAR THE MUTILATOR stuff people love to make fun of from slightly later in the decade, because the big two combined the trending gritty overmuscular image aesthetic with leftover 80s costume tackiness, leading to pages like this.

That's Nick Fury? He looks like Dirk Anger got swole. Which is kinda the point of Dirk, sure, but it's not a good look.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've fallen off listening to Jay & Miles Xplain the X-Men, but hell yeah I recognize a minor recurring character from the late Eighties. It turns out that's 90% of the stuff that needs Xplaining. As I recall, Technet are interdimensional bounty hunters with a frequently shifting membership and they form a rivalry with their future selves.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yeah, I was thinking peanut butter crackers or some gummies.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think giant man is the only person who might conceivably need the standard liefeld pouch ensemble. there are worse ways to carry and access many kinds of small objects.

Does he still use that Swiss Army knife with hundreds of shrunken down attachments? I thought that was a clever way of using his established powers to say he can do some sonic screwdriver bullshit.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

It's kinda the same as reading Marston's early Wonder Woman. You see a very earnest, optimistic proto-feminism on the page right next to "yeah, it's so empowering for women to let me look at titties or get tied up."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

drat, PhD in undisclosed area of science is such a comic book thing. This guy was pretty neat when he made a go of being the Daredevil to Reed Richards' Spider-Man a few years back in one of the many attempts to get a new Invaders book off the ground.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I am admittedly extremely biased because I will never, ever forgive Byrne for touching Kirby's Fourth World.

It was a Bad Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I do kind of like Tigra. For some reason. Maybe it's male gaze? Maybe it's my brain filling in the gaps of "also-ran cat themed Avenger" with the indisputably better Hellcat? Maybe I want Hank to settle down?

• Locked thread