Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Omobono posted:

I really, really can't take Nohr seriously, every 2 screenshots this update I was expecting Corrin to go into the Are we the baddies? Mitchell and Webb sketch.

E: although I'll gladly concede that Windmire looks really cool.

Neither nation is well written, but I tolerate Hoshido even less. Nohr's obsession with being as obviously evil as possible is kind of funny, while Hosido's Mary Sue-esque perfection gets old fast.

chiasaur11 posted:

Awakening had some of the lowest incest levels in the whole series, though, at least in the localized version.

Like, there are multiple normal, healthy sibling relationships.

Hoo boy, does this game's writing make me miss Awakening. Awakening was a janky mess of a story, but it was mostly inoffensive and wasn't determined to nearly as creepy as this one will. Robin is better than Corrin in basically every way as a character and that should say something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ReturnOfFable posted:

Jesus Christ, this plot looks extremely stupid. I'm really glad I skipped out on the Fates trilogy.

Oh the plot gets dumber. Just note that Corrin is the biggest name ever tool you could imagine getting a lead role.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

He joins at level 1, a few maps after we've had the chance to get Mozu. You don't really need him - Orochi's a fine enough mage and Sakura is almost eligible for promotion at this point. You pretty much have to baby him, and he's not exactly leaps and bounds above his competition.

Also don't turn him into an Oni right off, wait til he promotes first. Because do you really want to struggle through E rank clubs, especially with that skill growth?

His character is also insufferable. Like Ricken turned up to 11.

Being basically Ricken-but-even-squishier does not help him at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

Takumi has issues. I bet trying to brush Hinoka off like that is probably the most painful thing he could've done to her short of flat-out dying.

This support really makes me feel like Setsuna does these things on purpose...

I think Azama's in the wrong series and faction, really... I mean, in my experience most protagonist nobles in Fire Emblem are extremely selfless.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

You have no idea of how many issues Takumi has. He's kind of a massive dick.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rogue 7 posted:

Midori is one of the better kids. I know that's a low bar, but she clears it reasonably well.

Having more in her life than an obsession with a certain vegetable raise her to that level so that "low bar" comment is an understatement.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

They're not siblings.

But yes, I assume there's a lot of common branches in their family tree.

Like I said, Robin is a multi-millenium eugenics project that would make Ankh Morpork's Dragon King of Arms start drooling.

Corrin is one of the embarrassing side effects of that kind of project someone puts in a sack and drowns in the river.

That and a combination of pretty much ever terrible fanfiction protagonist ideas, none of which were properly developed.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Corrin at least has the excuse of being extremely sheltered and growing up in one fortress for most of her life.

gently caress Azura. She is the biggest offender in all three routes on "making things worse by not telling anyone important poo poo." and the mysterious invader land idiot ball is the worst part of this game. Actually, I'm pretty sure the worst Azura moment in the entire game is next update.

Azura seems to have some idea how things function, unlike Corrin who seems to have been dropped on his/her head as a child, but gets everyone constantly kissing up to them.

Honestly, either one getting called out on their screw-ups and getting some development might help salvage them somewhat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

I won't lie, Corrine twisting all that bullshit about rebellion and throwing it back into Iago and murderdad's face was awesome. Too bad about the rest of the route.

Corrin got exactly one scene of what they should have been doing the entire time in Conquest, agreed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Space Bat posted:

I disagree, even the worst Nohrian noble is better than the best Hoshidan noble in my opinion. Can you even tell me what Ryouma is like? Or Hinoka? Other than "lobster" and, uh, "red head" I really can't. Sakura is just "innocent girl who wants to help people." The only Hoshidan with anything resembling a personality is Takumi, who's entire shtick is being a massive prick with an inferiority complex.

This entire game's plot would have been automatically improved if they'd cut out all but two siblings per side (especially Corrin) and made Leo and Takumi respectively the main characters. They have real personalities and some semblance of character development. Hell, so far Leo seems to be the best character in this game's crappy cast as opposed to the current lead who is the absolute worst.

RareAcumen posted:

I would've also been down for Corrin being totally incompetent but managing to skirt by and succeed because the rest of the army's constantly shoring up his/her lack of common sense. A character 'leading' an army with good intentions but needing other people to contribute regularly sounds neat to me. Like, an entire game like the Ice Tribe rebellion.

Isn't that basically what we already have? Corrin does not make good decisions. If anything, they seem to be dragging down the armies though incompetence almost as much as Garon does on purpose.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Inferno-sama posted:

Elise. Medicine.

It'd be nice to have characters point this hypocrisy out. Give Ryoma and Hoshido some character by having them not be pure.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mysticblade posted:

Hey, the kid's basically been neglected by his dad. He's got a right to be angry.

Also Flora's good staff rank and good skill apparently make her good with status staves. Status staves are too precious to use so I haven't tried that.

Let's be honest, there are no real examples of good parents in this game. I mean, I guess that you could point our Makoto, but she's more perfect plot device than character. For a game so obsessed with family, Fates has no real healthy ones.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

You are so dear to me that I would slay you myself rather than let you leave my service.

Becoming your new employer was the only way I could see to save you from yourself.

Camilla remains a slightly psychotic mom to everyone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ophelia alone manages to make up for most of the other kids.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For heaven's sake, Ophelia, please put some clothes on. Or at least some pants.

She follows her dad's example a little too much.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

He does want to rebel against Garon

in his A support

THe problem with Xander is that he's basically two different characters. In-story we get a weak willed man who can't get over his attachment to his childhood attachment enough to see his father is a walking villain cliche and stand up. The kind of moral coward who would die rather than face a real dilemma and act on his conscience. In supports, we have a good and honorable guy you'd be glad to have as a brother.

AriadneThread posted:

azura keeps giving me secret villian vibes

That would be interesting and logical, so we can't be having that in this plot.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I always wondered if it would be possible to salvage this game's plot if they'd just abandoned the idea of three versions and used some of the ideas into one coherent story.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Huh, I thought that Yukimura would be important at some point. Sure shows me for assuming.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Lets be fair though as surely everybody knows that Corrine is dumb.

Yes, but Leo and Takumi are the only ones to call it out, making them the better siblings.

Really, it would make a lot more sense for Corrinne to be removed from the plot and let those two be the main characters. They'd actually provide something of value to the story.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

I don't know about Echoes, but I'd definitely recommend Awakening over this exercise in incompetence. I mean, Awakening's got a pretty cliche plot, sure, but it's better in pretty much every way than Fates.

Cliche but functional is better than this mess.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I would ask why Anankos gets a pass for messing with Nohr

Then realized I didn't care

Glorious Hoshido being attacked is far more important than Nohr, evidently. Really, it's not like the writers cared, so why should we?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The shittiness of Birthright and Conquest's writing is made doubly lovely here because Revelation feels the need to exposit all the information from both of those routes in a quarter of the chapters. No writer is going to be able to salvage what little plot Fates has when they're obligated to jam three major plot points into every half-hour stretch.

The real bad part is that this was supposed to be the final "canon" route. Instead of fixing the problems in the first two plots, they jammed them together awkwardly to produce a complete mess.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

For as bad as Revelations is, at least it rightly killed Hans off sooner than the others. Seriously, how does this glorified Chapter 1 bandit boss get elevated into being one of the top of the villain food chain? Iago is a terrible villain, but at least he has skills that would be very useful for an evil group. Hans just guts people without a hint of strategy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

This should've been the one game. First act in Nohr, discovering the secret of Garon and fleeing with your siblings, second act in Hoshido trying to convince them to join you and the rebellious Nohrians, final act in Valla to stop Anankos. Boom, similar story structure to Awakening and better than this fuckin' mess.

Yes, but then how could you have the contrived "choice" between Glorious Goodville and Bad Guyvia?

I do wonder if they could have made a half-decent story if there was only one game and the cast was cut in half. I mean, what you wrote makes sense, but these writers have shown no indication that being able to handle any of this. I'm not even sure that they'd be willing to part with the disturbing amount of incest, let alone put some effort into putting the effort necessary to make the characters act logically.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

inthesto posted:

Literally the only character from Birthright I liked.

Same. I'm, at best, indifferent to everyone else from the route they try so hard to push you towards it, but kill her off in all but one route annoys me enough to make me hate Hoshido more.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LEGO Genetics posted:

The Chump Brigade has arrived!

Look at those loving stats it's chapter goddamn 17.

RIP Scarlet, we hardly knew ye. You got the shittiest death in this entire game and that is saying something. I think the devs had a special hatred for you.

I'd still say Izana keeling over for no real reason was worse, but Scarlet was pretty high up there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Golux posted:

I just looked up who Hinata's kid is and I swear I have never seen this character ever.

Not gonna lie, I forgot more than half the kids. They just don't stand out that much outside of the Awakening clones (not positively) and Ophelia Dusk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Should've made his thing hard candies.

He could have just sounded old fashioned and crotchety in general. It's not really that difficult a thing to write in dialogue.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is it me or does the Selena -> Caeldori thing seem super incestuous somehow?

It wouldn't be Severa if we didn't find some way to include mommy-issues even when she's as far away from her mother as is possible. Now we need Caeldori to have a daughter named Resvea to complete the circle.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

So I spent the past two weeks binging on this thread and I'm finally caught up. I came in knowing the story was gonna be bad, so I was just here to witness the slow-mo train crash, and BOY did this thread deliver way beyond my wildest expectations. I literally laughed out loud at the Izana death scene.

Sure, the whole marriage/children system doesn't make any story sense if you put half a second of thought into it, but I, for one, enjoyed witnessing the rampage of the bloodthirsty adorable murderchildren. I think it says something for the writing when I found the kids more likable than the majority of the parent generation. I absolutely would not mind at all if we benched all the parents in favor of a kid-only Revelations playthrough.

Re: Zombie Takumi -- way to take the wind out of the sails for the entire buildup to the Garon climax. I also agree that the story would've been stronger if he hadn't been possessed/zombified. I get that IntSys wanted to protect the precious feelings of those who liked Takumi's character, but I think they could've make him a MORE sympathetic and tragic (and more likable) character without all the possession nonsense. They could've written him as a dude who placed his entire heart in his country/family (beneath that ~cold exterior~ of his that people seem to adore), who has lost everything and is sad and broken and is now lashing at you in desperation or something. Basically, a guilty emotional moment to show that your decisions have consequences despite your best intentions -- the Conquest counterpart to the Elise/Xander scene, if you will.

But that's probably asking too much of their writing staff.

As for the Kaze death in Birthright, I actually wonder if it worked the other way around in earlier versions of the game (i.e., he dies if you do have A support with him). IIRC his A support is where he pledges his loyalty and becomes your retainer. It actually makes more storyline sense where he pledges to put his own life before yours, and then when that chasm thing happens, he fulfills his duty. From a gameplay perspective, though, that's pretty awful, as it's essentially punishing players for investing in support levels -- something you'd otherwise want to encourage players to do. But instead of doing the easier and more sensible thing of just removing the scene completely, they still somehow forced it in and made everything for the worse.

I think that the possessed Takumi thing could work if it had been written as him willingly selling himself to Anankos for the power to avenge his land from his traitorous sibling. He had genuine reasons to hate Corrin (as do we all) and a greater evil capitalized on his resentment to twist his love for his people into a tool. Corrin being forced to take responsibility for their idiocy rather than just whine and give hollow gestures would be a nice side effect.

Of course this wouldn't come close to salvaging the plot of Conquest and leaves the whole "Buy Revelations" cliffhanger, but it'd be something.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So does being bad enough to produce Tharja-but-even-moreso make Hyato the worst of the parents?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So if Anankos has direct control over Nohr's king, and everyone in Nohr is too much of a spineless coward to oppose Ganon, what does he get out of destroying Nohr rather than just joining Nohr's military to his own and launching a war of conquest? Hell, he could probably just bribe the Nohrians with food from Valla and the opportunity to emigrate/travel to his much less crappy kingdom and there's a good chance he'd get the country behind him.

For an invisible hand behind the scenes his plans sure are dumb.

To be fair, it's not like manipulating anyone in this world is all that difficult. Anny hardly needs to be a mastermind to make this war happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh no, we were betrayed. Whoever could have seen that coming.

Is Xander supposed to be the paranoid and "not good" follower of the leader that points out all the bad things to do like not trusting civilians and saying that they may be spies to make the main character seem more benevolent? So far this run he's been one of the better fathers and has been giving sound advice. Does he just get to be not terrible when he's not around his father?

That's the thing about Xander: he's actually a pretty good character in and of himself, but he's usually being shown as a complete hypocrite for being unwilling to turn on the horribly written Nohr villain cast. Like so many other things, you can see what the basic idea was, but it completely falls apart since even the good ideas have none of the support that they need to function. It doesn't help that the writers were obsessed with pandering to the player by having everything revolve around the terrible character of Corrin, copying ideas from other games without seeming to understand why they worked before, and the non-existent moral complexity in a game whose premise demands it.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 30, 2017

• Locked thread