Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Super Mario Land 2 is the worst Mario game by a wide margin. Compared to the first one the sprites/environments are much higher res so the view is all zoomed in and you can barely see anything ahead of you. As a consequence the level design is boring as poo poo and it's basically impossible to screw up ever, except on the boss fights maybe

Also Xenogears disc 2 is unironically extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

oh and Spartan: Total Warrior is the best Total War game

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Adding in explicitly LGBT characters does not add to a videogame in anyway. And is often used as a distraction off a poo poo game.
Same but heteros

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

Red Alert 2 is the best drat RTS of all time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games are attractive.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games are handsome

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games are 100% adorable

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I Said No posted:

dagoth ur did nothing wrong
Righto

quote:

spore wasn't that bad
Wrongus

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

G-III posted:

The industry should have standardized 6 button layouts for controllers instead of four.
Agreed

Wanna live in either one of these timelines tbh

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the hype surrounding Horizon Zero Dawn is 100% artificial and I don't believe anyone is actually looking forward to that game (except, like, video game review people who get paid to be excited about hot new tech products). Plus the studio responsible for it has never done anything even remotely memorable, so there's no reason to believe it's gonna be any less of a boring derivative piece of poo poo than the entire killzone series was. Plus its visual style hinges on 90% of what's on screen consisting of spastically jiggling digital grass and/or ponytails and it generally just looks like the video gamest video game to ever video game.

Like, these are the people who produced that killzone 2 "gameplay demo" in 2005 that still looks better than most ps4 games, why is anyone acting like they somehow gained credibility during the intervening decade???

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kullik posted:

Oh i got another one:

Pixel art is trash and i immediately discount any game with pixel art graphics and will take a lot of convincing to actually play it and even then my enjoyment will be limited because i loving hate that art style and will never think it looks good.
The coolest thing about the original Nintendos is, how they made every game in pixels art :D

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

final fantasy v was the best one

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

try gameboy wars 3
I've always been curious about the pre-AW games but they seemed to have zero personality in comparison so I never really bothered. This is literally the first time I've ever seen anyone recommending any of them though so I'm def gonna check this specific one out

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man it looks pretty good, but what's up with the weird tile arrangement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcup8dEDVN0

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Video games don't have enough cruise ship levels. Video games peaked with Tony Hawk 3

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Terranigma is the best snes game

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

THUG1 was awesome and honestly probably the best in the series mechanically speaking but THPS3 had better levels overall. Canada, Tokyo, Cruise Ship, cmon. What did THUG1 have, that fuckin Kiss concert level?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

And loving Gene Simmons as an unlockable character, jesus. Why bother when you can have Wolverine and Darth Maul

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Bloody Mary!
Bloody Mary!
Bloody Mary!

(still really good in spite of that boss)
Bloody Mary + the boss in the ice mountain place + the final battle were the only really tough parts of that game (well, aside from being screwed out of fully upgrading all the cities if you do them out of order Ugh)

I love Terranigma very much and I need to replay it already, it's been like a decade since my last run through it

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

final fantasy rankings

TACTICS
Tactics
Tactics A2

REAL GOOD
V
VI
XII

I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME BOY ONE
Legend III

DECENT
X
IV
IX

WHAT
VIII
XV
Tactics Advance
I, II, III
VIII
VII

NO
XIII

MMO
XIV
XI

THE REST
The rest

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't like MQ the first time I played it back in the early 00s but it grew on me when I tried it again years later. The first two Legend games never did it for me even after I revisited them.

Also I just noticed I put VIII on there twice, which I blame on being slightly drunk and also not knowing how I really feel about that game because it's a weird mess and I dig the art style and the setting and the wrinkles they added to the battle system but the characters and the plot are loathsome and eurghhghgh

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mass effect 1 was pretty good and it felt like i was wandering around inside a decent facsimile of a david brin novel
mass effect 2 was decent but all the new characters were shite except green assassin cancer bugman maybe, and the game itself got weaker and weaker the closer you got to the end. and the end was embarrassing nonsense
mass effect 3 was incoherent tits 'n' explosions trash and every surface in that game was highly reflective for no loving reason and that pissed me the hell off

I really wonder how the second and third games woulda turned out if EA hadn't snapped bioware up. i am positive that there were a whole bunch of meetings where some shithead with a haircut that cost money was all "what the gently caress is 'space opera'? people don't care about that. they want to blow things up and crank off"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i see people with N7 tattos and it blows my loving mind
for real this really loving gets to me. outside of the first game (which definitely wasn't perfect and felt like rear end to play when it was time to shoot stuff) that series is the epitome of patronising poo poo. it's the most cynical and shallow loving thing ever and people love it and act like it's not something for 12yos

"oh yeah so they collect people and turn them into... liquid metal and... build a giant evil human alien space robot out of them. out of the people they melted down. into human metal. it has a big metal skull and glowing eyes and you shoot it in its eyes, to kill it" MmmMmMmmMMMmm thats good Science Fiction.

what I'm trying to say is gamers, are bad

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

my apparently unpopular opinion is that me1's story was good and holds up
it was and does. there was still a loooot of wonky dialogue in that game but the plot/structure/pacing/etc were all quality

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

the following games are good:

mass effect andromeda
no mans sky
mass effect 3
halo 4
Civilization Beyond Earth

fight me irl
I think you're looking for the "post itt if you want to publicly own yourself" thread

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Every multiplayer game should have a "I have a job" league option where if you play more than 3 hours in a night other than a Friday or Saturday it kicks you out to general pop. :colbert:
This is... actually a really interesting idea? Like I'm sure you'd get a shitload of try hard players running twink characters/accounts so they can stomp on people in that category but at least it'd limit them to playing with basic equipment only or whatever. For real I'd love to see someone try this.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think final fantasy xv was a real fun and chill game that was good for just kicking back and video gaming
i thought this too until i realised i could just play something else where i didnt have to constantly pull the camera out of bushes and gave up like ten hours in

i still really enjoyed setting the car on autopilot and burning one until i got to wherever I was going :420:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

name a masterpiece that was also designed to pander to fans
Final Fantasy V

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

basic hitler posted:

yea it denotes a style that's prominent in the west

baldurs gate fundamentally doesn't play anything like a modern action rpg and to call them the same genre is pretty dumb
final fantasy xv doesn't play like grandia

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

let's never forget this post by a bioware writer on their own forums

im going to kill my are am selve

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

its moreso that you have like twenty years of games that don't give a poo poo about the details but will throw in references to previous works because its not like they have to start over from scratch every time. the lack of any other grounding detail means that you can probably shoehorn them together into some sort of continuity if you are an autistic wikia fandom writer despite, uh, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhlOoUAZw0M
lol is that comic sans

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

when i was in high school the hotness at the time was to use websites to rip mp3s from youtube. the problem was this was before youtube had decently high quality audio so it was like a 64kbps mp3 (192k is reasonable, 320k is almost cd quality) which was absolutely loving terrible. the "cool" tech kid openly derided me for being a retard for not ripping music from youtube when i told people to just torrent that poo poo in cd quality. whats actually p funny is that guy started like actively trying to turn people against me in the weirdest ways because i was giving people hot tips on how to pirate better music

learning life lessons about manipulative weirdos through teenage piracy. good times
lol are you like fuckin 20 or something, jesus

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

opinion: the wii u concept was fuckin amazing and it would still be going if nintendo hadn't hosed up completely at marketing it + courting third parties

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Don't age shame plz.
Let me tell you about how a wrongnerd, who was loving Wrong, picked on me in high school

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Sonic Mania's levels are too drat long.
Yeah

oil ocean was an extremely low point in an otherwise very good game because of the insanely long levels that i had to replay maybe six times because of that goddamn octopus boss.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn and the samurai game the same people are making now are both really ugly and the thing they have going on where all the trees and grass and flowers and poo poo are constantly gyrating is straight nauseating to look at.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Huh poo poo you're right and now I'm worried that wacky wobbly wavy trees are gonna be a trend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zzulu posted:

What the hell do you mean, son? Post examples of your issue or I am closing down your posts immediately
I don't have any gamer videoes handy but I watched my housemate play horizon and I saw some stuff about that samurai game and in both cases all the vegetation looked drunk and it was very offputting.