Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lol at a buncha people arguing with someone referencing horse armor in the last five weeks of 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it's completely nuts to me that capcom hasn't re-release MMBN 1-6 like they have for the classic series, X and Zero/ZX

like, mega man has never been a particularly well-selling franchise but i thought MMBN outsold all of the other subfranchises by a ton, and it's not like there isn't a ton of experience Capcom has already used in the past to port GBA games to modern architecture. the only hurdle i can really imagine them running into is the multiplayer, but even so, dang it i want that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

I assume given the DS's weird resolution its not the easiest thing to do, and the Megaman ZX collection doesnt seem to have sold gangbusters

the BN series was on GBA though, and the Zero series was always super niche. the first game was marketed as intentionally the hardest mega man game ever, released for (at the time) a very successful but still very young handheld

John Murdoch posted:

I thought there were rumblings that they were doing exactly that, it just got pushed back for some reason.

has there? i mean it's gotta be on the agenda somewhere

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

a full game that was just an expanded version of the first act of XV would own and i just can't even try to finish the game because it falls apart so hard so quickly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

bloodborne should be on steam or GOG or something so i can drunkenly gift it to random people on my friends list whenever it goes on sale

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Breetai posted:

Bad rats exists for this purpose.

i like the people on my friends lists

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Theres no way pc bloodbourne wouldnt be the buggiest game ever released.

....why?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Beartaco posted:

The game has no story for the first two thirds, so don't worry about it.

that's not true, there's shitloads of story before that, it's just that none of it is in the game

if you have any kind of tolerance for dumb anime bullshit the kingsglaive movie is on streaming and is pretty decent fun while you're stoned, it's pretty well animated and at one point someone drifts a car down the side of a collapsing building

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Play posted:

Might actually pick up Deathloop, although might wait for deeper sale later. It looks interesting and fun but definitely glad I didn't pay full price as I almost did.

deathloop is a little weird but it really owns a ton and the weird assymetric multiplayer is frankly kinda inspired for an Arkane immersive sim even if it's not the most balanced, those games are never about balance to begin with. the interstitial radio banter is fun and Arkane clearly designed the whole experience from the ground up with a philosophy of "seriously guys you don't need to play all of our games non-lethally when we spend all this time making these cool powers and weapons, go loving hogwild being Murder Superman"

literally barely survived an invasion because the Juliet was actually using the masquerade power and blending in to (ever-dwindling as I moved through the level) NPC groups after hit-and-run attacks, it was the most fun i've had with a stranger in an FPS ever and there was totally this level of weird nonverbal cat-and-mouse communication as we played, despite obviously having never played together before and not having any real way to chat

that, and juliet's second or third outfit is just "Lana from Archer but in sparkly champagne pink" and it's fantastic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the last video game i actually completed was the i'm on observation duty trilogy

wait this isn't a confessions thread gently caress

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s a fantastic franchise now but metroid 1 and 2 are absolute garbage games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

metriod 1 is fine if you add a minimap

i can see this, never got zero mission. wish I could play it on the switch

did metroid 2 have a minimap? was metroid 2 actually any good? i borrowed it from a friend for a while but didn’t play it much, iirc it’s like metroid 1 but with a collectathon?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mega man 1 is godawful and 2 is only slightly better, 3 is incredible and 4-6 all have their own strengths

E: yeah wait zelda 1 is really good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im trying mortal shell cuz it’s free and I saw a lot of people talking about how janky and hard it is, i’m like a half hour in and it’s definitely janky and hard but in a way that I kinda dig, like Elex

but does this game share any devs with the Warframe guys? because this is just Warframe but souls instead of a looter shooter. you play as a Tenno.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mortal shell has a really important mechanic called “harden” that i’ll never stop giggling about because i’m an idiot child

the game knows, though, the first guy you fight is literally named Hadren, it is loving with you

“getting hit while hardened will restore your health” lmfao

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

tutorials can be good or they can be bad but I’m wondering how many years it’s gonna take before they finally stop putting tips on loading screens on consoles with solid state storage

Like a Dragon holy poo poo I can barely read the tooltip title before the scene loads

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

cranking the brightness of my tv all the way up and trying to slam my eyes shut at just the right time so i can read the afterimage burned into my retinas and learn how ramen works

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Play posted:

I got ff7r and as someone who doesn't give a gently caress about final fantasy, who never owned any Playstation consoles or really played any ff games...... I like it.

And I like the combat, for the most part.

There are some weird occasions of frame dropping and chugging, and the lack of true video and graphics options is very annoying (there isn't even loving vsync), but 99% of the time it plays and looks great. Also I feel like it would be a better game if you didn't have to rely to some extent on always refilling mp and hp. It would be more fun as a pure character action rpg kind of thing.

But it's still really good, and fun, and you can see how much work was put into it

straight up this was one of my biggest surprises of last year, and despite liking jrpgs/final fantasy *in theory* I almost always bounce off them

pretty sure when I dipped into the games thread for it they were complaining about a goofy motorcycle duel/boss fight, further cementing the idea that the games subforum functions best as a containment zone for absolute freakin weirdos

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every good game that has ever been made has no explicit story or plot.

far cry 3 is a good game with a good plot unless you’re a person so incapable of noticing subtext or context that even the lack of subtlety of the game smashing you in the face with its themes to a loud old Skrillex song won’t help you pick up on it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

pathologic 2 is fascinating and hooked me really badly when i started it but it is so aggressively and intentionally unfun to play that i just never picked it back up after that first or second session.

everything before getting to the town was surreal and incredible in a way i crave from more games and it really did all make me want to dig in deeper to like, get at *what* it was saying, but actually playing it was like the video game equivalent to Funny Games - a movie i appreciate for doing what it tries to accomplish very well, but what it tries to accomplish is uncomfortable and i'll probably never revisit it

it's very tempting to turn some of the difficulty sliders way down and try to power through, but i've picked up through goon osmosis that i really shouldn't - is there some kind of soft fail state when you inevitably die of thirst or whatever?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

What if I told you there is a RPG where you play as an aging battlefield commander who has been tasked with saving his country's independence and does so by betting his soul to satan that he can lead the armies of hell to victory in one last war, and the narrative has a bunch of neat stuff to say about imperialism, pride, means justifying ends, etc and also is fun to just play because it's a turn based tactical strategy thing with poo poo like imps in modern tanks

this is a fun concept

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

It's Deathloop but with eight player co-op, rapid respawns, way more loot to shoot, plus we throw in some wacky but cute side characters. The plot is your team has a mad dash to kill, die and revive over and over to take down the bad guys using the corpses of your previous selves. Also there's jumping puzzles, as well as pauses to do brain training style math puzzles, also there's dogs to pet.

This is easy if your standards for cool are low enough.

my standards for cool are low enough that i own actual rollerblades and this post is still embarrassing to read

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Alright new twist, it's Dark Souls on rollerblades but also you have a life system like Mario. You have a score from kills that gets you 1-ups and also sometimes the game introduces Bioware style romances that you can't escape from.

honestly add JSR style graffiti and this seems more workable lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Icochet posted:

Symphony Orchestra Tycoon

this is something i have spent a fair amount of time actually fantasizing about tbh, i know that i'm one of maybe four people that would be into it but i would be so into it

e: i would preorder the opera expansion DLC

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 21, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

not quite the same but there was some german (?) flash game about being a psychiatrist to a bunch of childrens' toys like, 17 years ago that it sounds pretty reminiscent of

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Im not Deus Ex's biggest fan but I think it does a really good job of letting you play through the story with enough variation to feel good and meaningful even if every mission is the same in order.

Deus Ex 2 failed to hit this spot.

no way, dx2 had a ton of missions for mutually exclusive factions and stuff

i think a lot of people miss that though because the game starts with one of the main factions raiding your home and trying to kill you, so, uh, not ideal

also the Omar are the best

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

site posted:

yeah i played dx2 last month and despite the story itself being kinda bleh compared to 1 it seems to have a lot more variation in who you can side with at any given moment and the amount of important NPCs you can kill and tell their factions to gently caress off (until the next area where they will forgive you if you just do this quest for them)

like the first game none of it really matters and you choose one of 3 endings in the final level though

yeah but also like the first one the three different endings had you completing different objectives in different parts of the final map, not just walking down a hallway and pressing a button like HR

and it’s actually four endings, unatco dance party is canon

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the only mod I really use for bethesda games is better bodies for Morrowind because while the environmental graphics hold up pretty good for 2003 but the character models are some 1998 PlayStation 1 trash tier garbage

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Myst is a good series for someone who enjoys disappearing into a book

lmao

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

diablo 3 was fun even at release because i got to kill monsters with jars of spiders and exploding frogs and poo poo but anyone who has played it a ton and keeps doing ladders or seasons or whatever the gently caress the diablo version of Play Game 4 Dopamine is called years later should be institutionalized

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

did they ever fix the issue where the latest CoD is the better part of a goddamned terabyte and can't be installed with any other games on the PS5 yet because occasionally i do get the craving for some dumb TDM but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck call of duty and activision until they get that loving poo poo fixed

i don't even have a 4k tv please stop forcing me to download 400 gbs of 4k textures or whatever the gently caress

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

As a person who plays neither a real guitar nor a baby video game guitar, I will now explain why real guitar is actually not much more challenging than baby video game guitar

you post really badly and like, that’s cool, you do you, happy holidays and all, but you could maybe try to be less weirdly aggro about the dumbest poo poo in the universe all the time

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the rock band guitar worked way better with a real heavy pick, it was designed to be compatible with picks from the start which is p cool honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

El Shaddai is a bad game that did its absolute hardest to mine the teeny tiny source material it was working with and produced some really cool visual levels. Try it for a five

yeah it’s not a good game but it’s worth checking out for the visuals and sexy lucifer

uh there’s apparently a sequel too but it’s just a mediocre looking wizardry style rpg I think