Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Red alert 2 is so good its ridiculous. Yuris revenge is good too. Fun multiplayer even though yuri was pretty broken iirc. Of cpurse i was 11 and didn't care about metas and being good

I haven't played the game in over 10 years but I can still hear Yuri's VA saying his quotes in my head.

"Predictable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SpaceClown posted:

nah, racing games with powerups and explosives are for shortminded children.

Split Second let you drop airplanes on the guys behind you.

https://youtu.be/vk-AL3tEEO4?t=141

I'm legit sad that game never got a sequel.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've tried to get into the Witcher series, but I always just end up wanting to play Gothic 1, Gothic 2 or Risen 1 instead.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Maybe it's better on emulators, but I remember it taking like 5 minutes to load a level on the psx version.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The black and white face buttons were dumb though

Speaking of Black and White, it was a great concept for a game but it came out a little to early before the technology was there.

I would love a reboot of Black and White for VR.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Bass Masters Classic on the Genesis was the only fishing game I've ever really enjoyed.

Best part was finding a hidden pond on the map and catching a bass so big that it near took up the entire screen.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Bubby was always cooler than Sonic though?????

I'm sill waiting for a new Vectorman game, personally.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My dream game is a Streets of Rage remake that uses the Batman Arkham combat system.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

jeez this is why melee combat is lovely in nearly every major game, because of schmucks like you

That's why the original Ys and Hylide were the best games. You didn't even need to press a button to attack.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Twelve Batmans posted:

Also RE5 Mercenaries is legitly one of the best pve co-op experiences to exist in anything ever.

I feel Capcom is missing out on a pile of money by not making a F2P version of RE Mercenaries and putting it on Steam.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Where in time is carmen Santiago was the poo poo as a kid, even if I dont remember any of the goofy adventure game logic you had to use while learning about Edison, the Roman's and junk.

The cartoon series also had one of the great openers of 90's cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGufyFt6zQc

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

The quality disconnect between the openings of cartoons and the actual episodes was some bullshit

That can be said for all most all of the old cartoons.

Except Mighty Max though, that was rock solid all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsxmXiRw6d4

Vakal fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 9, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

What happens at the end of Mass Effect 3 and why we're people disappointed? I will never play these games so feel free to be as spoilerific as possible.

The game basically leads up to a huge war but ends with the player picking from three options for what ending they wanted:

A) Let bad guys win, everyone dies and cycle starts again.
B) Kill bad guys but it will separate all the species forever
C) Do the fusion dance and merge living life with computers or something like that.

Overall they are not bad endings exactly since before finishing the game I guessed to myself how it could possible end and those were basically the three scenarios I figured could happen.

The problem is that these ending are baked in while the game makes a big fuss throughout about uniting all the different races into a single fighting force to win. In the end it doesn't matter if
Shepard gets everyone working together or pisses everyone off. The end is the same.

People were disappointed because they were expecting something like the final mission in ME 2 where the outcome depended heavily on acquiring upgrades for the Normandy and building up your relation
with your squad mates. And also some people were mad because they wanted another option where Shepard singly handily saved the universe by him/herself and everyone lived happily ever after.

Also in the original version the cinematics between the various endings were pretty much identical with just a color filter tossed over them to make them look different. They later patched them to make them look a bit different but it didn't help that much.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean this sounds bad but is VERY typical for WRPGs. Deus Ex and Bethesda Fallouts come to mind.

Like mosts thing gamer related it got hugely blown out of proportion.

When I first heard the anger about the ME 3 ending being bad I figured it was going to be something along the lines of "it was all a simulation" or end on a massive cliff hanger.

Instead it is just a standard ending while people that invested way to much of themselves into the series were expecting something life changing I guess.

That said the Citadel DLC is really good and provides much better closure to the series than the actual ending.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, a horribly balanced game, with a couple of bullshit difficulty spikes and the traditional bioware moral choices, but so much fun.

My favorite part of the open palm/closed fist system was when you meet an ancient evil ghost who would refuse to help you unless you could prove you were a follower of the closed fist path.

Normally you could bluff you way through enough that it would give you some dumb fetch quest to prove yourself, but if you had been choosing the "evil" options to everything up to that point, your character would give a nihilistic speech about the futility of life and the inevitable rendering of the world to dust to the point where even the ghost went "Holy poo poo dude, you're way more hardcore than me." and faded away.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

now try listing some of its bad qualities

How about removing an entire main character just so they could sell him as day one DLC?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poverty goat posted:

mass effect 3 is a really good game if you just pretend it's a mass effect 2 dlc where you go straight to tuchanka and kill a reaper and probably also that piece of poo poo traitor mordin, because everything that happens with the reaper and the thresher maw on tuchanka is badass and should have been the finale where you destroy the reapers once and for all

I think the game would have been better if they would have used the plot point from the Citadel DLC where the main antagonist is a clone of Shepard. Instead of just being a stand alone bad guy they would be leading the Reaper's army.

I mainly want this because it would be amazing to be able to choose the appearance of both the hero and villain at the same time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Romance has no place in video game unless it involves Sonic the Hedgehog.

The only realistic and healthy romance in a video game series is between BJ Blazkowicz and Anya in the new Wolfenstein games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrF-7CVWbj0 :nws:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I played the demo after they fixed the egregious crap and it seemed fine, just meat and potatoes sci fi. Worth getting cheap.

I think making the default female face extremely derpy was one of their biggest and most easily fixable flaws.

When Andromeda was first announced I thought for sure it was going to be a MMO like the Star Wars Old Republic.

It just seemed like a natural fit to allow the player base to make their own character from any of the alien species in the ME universe and have degenerate cyber sex with each other.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AutumnDDP posted:

3D Platformers are one of the worst game genres.

I don't mind them if they give the playable character some sort of glide ability that increases the generosity when trying to jump from platform to platform.

MDK and Soul Reaver being ones that come to mind.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

MDK has, hands down, the best manual of any game ever.

The ending cinematic for the PC version is amazing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygR4UsoY3Rs&t=49s

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dross posted:

At no point in gaming history have PCs not been able to do what consoles were doing.

The Nintendo was custom designed to be able to do smooth screen scrolling, something that early PC's couldn't replicate until John Carmack figured it out for Commander Keen.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

See that mountain? You can go there!
What do you mean "why?"

Level scaling enemies and loot was a mistake.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

poverty goat posted:

glory kills are stupid & repetitive and ruin the pace

I think it would be better if they could only be done if the Doom Guy is below 25-30% health.

That way you still have a way to recover health in a pinch without running away to find a health kit, while also making the glory kills less common so they still sort of feel special.

As it is, having every single enemies flash yellow when they are near death makes the whole game seem cartoony.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lodin posted:

I know some people will think it's heresy but I really think roguelites should keep track off and give you actual info on all items they've previously found.
I'm at the point with Binding of Isaac that I just keep a wiki open on my second screen since there's so much poo poo to keep track of. Just let me pause and pull up a list of all the items, cards and power ups I'v ever picked up plus the pills from the current run.
Obviously this should be a toggle for those who oppose it.

I'm pretty sure there are mods for BoI that do just that as well as display a running total of your damage and tear speed values.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

Like I respect people's opinion and if they enjoy it then great. But man, I do not get it AT ALL. The gameplay is incredibly slow and boring, the story is complete nonsense, and the monster fights are like Dark Souls but if every object weighed a thousand pounds and was placed on ice (without ice skates).

The only good things are the eating scenes and the little cats who call you Meowster.

The combat system in Dragon's Dogma has kind of ruined all other monster hunting types games for me forever.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Agreed, and the new Unreal they're working on removed all of the cool mobility options from 2k4 and thus sucks.

My dream game will always be a version of Unreal Tournament that placed emphases more on the team management aspect of the series than just the combat.

UT2K4 had a little bit of that, mainly just picking up new team members as they came available, but I always wanted sometime more realistic like having a set budget to work with and having to work around player contracts, trades, and injuries with the goal of having to build up a team from nothing and trying to win the Liandri tournament over the course of several seasons.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The slow weapons feel heavy because they can do poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DPTD7TAaU but there are much much faster weapons, and basically if every weapon was fast as hell there wouldn't be any that really feel weighty, which some people like.

Once again in Dragon Dogma land- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afH5wYR4BY

Vakal
May 11, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

the batmobile really was cool af and if they didn't frontload so many of the mandatory batmobile sections at the beginning people would probably look at it as one of the best features of the game

I had high hopes for the bat mobile since one of the first puzzles you run into after getting it involves remote controlling it to blow a hole through a wall and manually pulling on cables to move a broken elevator up and down.

Too bad that is pretty much the only bat mobile puzzle of that kind in the entire game and the rest is just shooting loving drone tanks and some racing challenges.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Downpour was a nice upturn but the enemy design was super loving boring and I still can't get over the fact that it had sidequests.

Downpour was a lovely Silent Hill game, but with a little tweaking it would have been a great The Suffering game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is maxing out a video card for long periods a bad thing?

I have a GTX 970 and it can usually run everything I've thrown at it at high settings with little issue, but some newer graphics heavy games make the fans on it go full tilt and it becomes quite loud.

On one hand I feel like this is too hard on the card, but then again the games never freeze or crash so one would think that the video card would be engineered for this sort of thing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Ok, I'll get a temperature monitor software and see what the card is running at.

I'd say about 90% of games run whisper quiet, but the odd one just makes the card go nuts. The most notable that comes to mind is The Forest which is an ok looking game graphics wise, but I have a feeling it may not be the most optimized thing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I never played Mass Effect but the fact that the main character is a short haired man named "Shephard" puts me off to the game. Off the top of my head I can think of like 3 other leader types with that name from fiction, it's the most generic rear end Bioware rear end choice of name.

Lost was huge when ME1 came out so I always assumed they used the name because of Jack Shepard on that show. The male version even looks similar.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BloodRed posted:

UT was ok but only because of the shock combo apart from that it sucked fat old lady titties

Vakal
May 11, 2008

oh dope posted:

The first Mass Effect game was fun and cool. Just look up maps for the planet exploration parts and they're not that bad..

In a better universe there exist a version of the Mass Effect series where Shepard was never born and the reapers never invaded so the games focus entirely on Garrus and his day to day life as a C-Sec officer during the day and failing to pick up women at the citadel bar at night..

Vakal
May 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

L.A. Noire with a likable character (instead of some dumbfuck idiot), set in space, with more quips and one-liners than you can shake a stick at

Mass Effect 4: The Quarian Quandary

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I miss RPG's that come with fold out paper maps

I miss the Goldbox engine RPGs in general.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

It's not the way it looks, it's the way it feels.

Never play Kingpin for PC then. You might have a seizure.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Soul Reaver series is probably the best balance of story and gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm actually enjoying Far Cry 5 quite a bit.

None of the other games in the series really kept my attention for very long, but FC5 kind of feels like the closest thing we are ever going to get to a modern Redneck Rampage game and it's
kind of fun just wandering around exploring trailer parks and other Hickville USA locations.