Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
"anime is bad lol" is something everyone can get behind especially people who watch a lot of anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

It must be delivered with the proper irony. I will readily admit to enjoying bad anime, in the same way someone will admit to enjoying bad games. This is different from someone talking down to concept of anime or games in general.

I think of it as a general rule. Everything is mostly bad just because it's harder to do something actually good.

While on this topic, unironically, I think videogames are art.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's something to be said when two people agree that titties aren't something people should fight over

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This one person once asked if I liked W40K and I said yes. Now he quotes terrible vogon poetry about emperors at me, and won't stop even after me asking them to stop.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Max Payne 3 is a very good game. I've just replayed it and it was well worth the money on release. I blame $1 = 1hour of game people.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Anime protagonists are all kids so it's target audience can identify with them. HTH

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chinatown posted:

i play overwatch nightly :twisted:

same it's like hitting yourself in the head, but the sweet sweet time you have when you miss is all worth it

(applies to any online team game)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Overwatch is a very hard and complex game where success is dependent on so many variables the casual player might as well play dice. The disney look is not really communicating that well.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nintendoes what Star Citiwon't

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Martman posted:

cmon bro, Citisn't is right there

Unpopular Videogame Puns

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

pentyne posted:

How many penis options did Bioshock Infinite have?

Infinite?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Pre-orders have some incentive thrown in typically. So people who will absolutely play the game as soon as it's available are getting a deal and pre-install. Or in case of box copies you're trying to making sure you get one on release. If you're buying it day 1 then pre-ordering is the same if not better for you on paper.

It's only terrible because it incentivizes business departments to push out unfinished games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Getting lost in a big world with stuff to do and see is good. Getting lost in Halo is purgatory. When people complain about getting lost in the game it' always the latter. And your reward is being able to continue the game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dewgy posted:

BoI is also an incredibly savage satire on fundamentalist Christianity and has some extremely obscure bible references. Like to the point where it puts El Shaddai to shame at times with how deep the cuts get.

I know it's me but savage satire of fundamentalist Christianity? Who the gently caress cares what century is this?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

more like El Shaddup

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

What's your problem with wearing flotsam?

When did you all become so jaded?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gasmask posted:

Can’t believe I thought Dark Souls Remastered would be a fun nostalgic experience.

I’ve just forgotten how to do everything and it’s just as frustrating as playing for the first time was.

That sounds nostalgic as gently caress. "Haha! Oh dark souls, you got me again!" *throws controller*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't want my shooting games to be realistic. In fact that's the loving last thing I want because I'm not a god drat sociopath.

I absolutely hate Call of Duty for this - the modern ones at least. It's all gun/military fetishization but sanitized for very little kids.

I've been playing a lot of Warzone - the battle royale mode of CoD:MW because that's the only game a friend of mine will play online. At first I was ambivalent but I absolutely hate it now. To me it feels like Postal without the satire.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also for gently caress's sake I was camping behind a door with a light machine gun on a tripod and emptied half of the magazine into some teenager's crotch, but he was carrying a bright neon smg so of course he would kill me first and taunt me.

I'm not saying I wanted to watch his reproductive organs fly out his new rear end in a top hat but war is hell.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Thief 2 (the best one) is a great puzzle game. Dishonored is more like Deus Ex or BioShock.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

What people don't talk about is that the true sequel to Thief is actually metal gear solid 5

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

errybody wanna be dwarf fortress but nobody wanna do dwarf fortress poo poo

This x100

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Bubble wrapped it huh...

It would be like the Batman games where there was a real possibility you could punch yourself in the face if you didn't push your buttons right.

I played through the dark age of gaming aka 1986 - 2006 and I'm telling you: games are getting better not worse

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's more about deliberate game mechanics. Thief is a puzzle game and puzzle games dont sell that much. It requires more patience which many view as wasting their time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This video is unwatchable

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There was a mod for Skyrim which added a ton of interesting looking weapons and armor. All of which were Steel quality and sold by a single vendor in Whiterun.

EDIT: Of course that was the only good looking weapon/armor mod

Vic fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

The whole 50s obsession is a Bethesda thing, not an original fallout thing

the plasma pistol was invented by gaston glock ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

It's definitely not Bethesda obsession.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

Bethesda took what was a very minor theme from the first two and blew it out of proportion for 3 and 4

I mean you can pretend that isn't the case but I can't imagine why you would do that

edit : It would actually make a lot of sense if you didn't pick up fallout 1 or 2 until you had already enjoyed 3 or 4, or had only watched the intro video on youtube and never actually played it

This strange attempt at gatekeeping is made weirder that you don't seem to recognize

a) 50s design in everything including the goddamn hud, the vault boy, the power armor, the vault - everything in that game
b) missing that 50s being the start of the nuclear arms race
c) the lead art designer literally telling you about how he came up with the 50s thing here and how it was the main theme

I just don't know why you would think this is bethesda coming up with that. It's what gave fallout it unique flavor - postapo 50s with mad-max mixed in.

Flannelette posted:

The original ones had 1950/sci-fi style but it was only before the war and then everything is just wasteland style with busted 1950s style stuff and new stuff that isn't.
Beth fallout is has the first part and also everything after the war revolves around 1950s style too like the world is foreverly stuck in 1950s art deco.
Yeah I guess, but I never really played Fallout 4 and I in F3+NV I don't really remember that much of new tech being stylized. It was only the enclave with any new technology and that was lifted from 2 wholesale.

Vic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

It's not about bethesda coming up with it. It's about A Kiss To Build A Dream On being used for a massive tonal shift in the intro to Fallout 2 where it's played right before everyone who listened to it got gunned down mercilessly by the Enclave, with that music never used again because the wasteland is now established as an unforgiving shitworld, and then bethesda was like "what if we just ignored that because BIG IRON is funny"

What are y'all smoking? Big Iron is from New Vegas and is about loving cowboys because of the western theme. It wasn't even made by Bethesda.

Fallout one starts with a 1940s song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2Hwi9qM48

The dichotomy of 50s boom and optimism cut short by thermonuclear war is big letters on the loving tin of original fallout games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

If you nuke something it becomes mad max themed by default i mean what the gently caress

This is some kind of mass delusion thing going on

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

You got me Vic, the entire point was absolutely hinged on which song came from which game
Yes literally:

signalnoise posted:

It's not about bethesda coming up with it. It's about A Kiss To Build A Dream On being used for a massive tonal shift in the intro to Fallout 2 where it's played right before everyone who listened to it got gunned down mercilessly by the Enclave, with that music never used again because the wasteland is now established as an unforgiving shitworld, and then bethesda was like "what if we just ignored that because BIG IRON is funny"

What are you even saying? Watching you try to make a point is like watching my nephew lick their elbow

EDIT: Oh sorry there we go:

signalnoise posted:

I can admit to not reading PinheadSlim's post, that's dumb as poo poo

My point stands, in my opinion the 3D Fallouts threw the balance of bleak to comedy entirely out of whack even compared to Fallout 2, and I don't have a problem with tossing NV in there with them.

I guess the whole weird mannequin face staring at you trying to emote throws any attempt at seriousness into garbage by default. All the fallout 1 jokes were in the text dialogue and the world itself was played pretty straight. Also there was not a lot of text in Fallout in general.

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 14, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I fully accept that this is who you are

We got ourselves a fallout, people

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mac is great for talking about Mac.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yes but money they don't make is better than money someone else makes or money they could have been making. money

That loving Sned posted:

I get why developers don’t release their source code (there were some gross comments in the Star Fox 2 leak) but it has been massively successful for the Doom series.

Bethesda can still sell Doom ports, but they actually have to compete with the fan-made source ports offering 60fps, mod support, etc. John Romero can still make money making Doom levels. Sigil is free but you can pay for the version with the high quality soundtrack.

The endless mods and level packs kept Doom relevant for the nearly two decades between the original games and Doom 2016. I know Doom 3 exists (and is also open source) but you’re not exactly circle strafing a dozen revenants and arch-viles like a real doom game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Japanese games aren't above melodrama told and acted in hilarious ways. But it only works when it's trying to be a realistic setting and not anime.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

These Romans are crazy, Dogmatix

Hey there :respek:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's no ethical videogaming

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

my granddad shot a fritz and faked documents and i teach refugees pro bono but im sure your american goony rear end knows better

lol sorry I didn't know your granddad shot a german, now your insights into pants pissing videogame hitler have much more gravitas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Go for final fantasy 9 and play FF7 when she's a bit older.