Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sounds more fun than assassins creed/returnal/dark souls games with obtuse control methods/ whatever else the normies are playing

How in the world do any of those games have obtuse control methods? I think maybe you just don't like 3rd person action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Assassins Creed might be the most meh games series ever

I don't dispute that, but that's not what the original claim was

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Speaking of arrows in Elden Ring, it's always bugged me how unrealistically slowly arrows travel through the air in FromSoft games. It's so bad they even felt the need to give them minor tracking to make them less laughably avoidable, which makes the situation look even more ridiculous. The irony is that bullets in Sekiro and Bloodborne similarly traveled way too slowly for bullets, but they'd be about right if they were arrows!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nowher posted:

Is Elden Ring worth playing if I've never played Dark Souls?

Or should I cut my teeth with DS first?

BOTW is a great game to chill to...I like playing as my secondary game. :)

It's probably the best title to start with, to be honest. ER has no narrative connection to the DS series (aside from a few small homages), and it's not a progression from those games in terms of difficulty/complexity.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The mathematical definition of a cube is derived from the GameCube's dimensions

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Seeing people fight over BotW and Elden Ring is funny to me because they are both not great games.

They both have frameworks of great games. And if you like like that framework your view will be skewed into not seeing the litany of other problems the games have. They truth is they are both 7/10 games. Elden Ring might be 6/10, though. Just cuz the fans are loving insufferable already.

The funny thing about Elden Ring is that 1 week prior a far superior game came out. A VIDEO game that has graphics that make Elden Ring look like the finger paint your 2 year old did that you put on the fridge. It has better sound. The combat is more varied and faster. It has a story. It has top tier voice acting. It is better in literally every single way.

Souls players are the worst. They are the star wars fans of video games.

How long did it take you to beat Elden Ring?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Forbidden West is the new one, but yeah he is almost certainly talking about Horizon

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Mount and Blade bannerlord is a completely superior game to elden ring anyway because in terms of running around waving swords at people, it has a lot more variety and you can have a bunch of troops, too, if you want.

neither of them has poo poo on deus ex

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Just got a laptop. Time for Morrowind. See you guys in a few weeks.

That game only takes 3 minutes, I saw a video

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just realized I have a spicy take for this thread:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the best Metal Gear game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Just because someone plays a game for a long time doesn't actually mean the game is good.

Maybe not, but it does usually mean that that particular person thinks it's good.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Not really. Like I don't think that a single person who plays Eve Online would call it a good game. I can think of a lot of other games that were ok for 80 hours but didn't wind up being something that I would rate Good

MMOs don't count. Seriously though, the point is that it's rather odd for someone to max out achievements in a game and then say that they don't recommend it, as it would seem to strongly indicate that they did in fact think it was worth playing. Like, you thought it was worth your time, why not mine?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

i don't know anything about this Elden Ring game

Don't let that stop you from being super angry about it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Undertale > Bioshock Infinite > Ocarina of Time

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

No one care how you play. it's just weird the level of extreme entitlement people who don't like fromsoft games have. its always just demanding that the games meet their own terms and maybe they will start playing them then. And it's stuff absolutely no one who already likes the games wants at all.

There's so many games I'd probably like if X or Y thing was different. Monster Hunter is super cool to me on paper. I love the animations and designs and even the gameplay feels pretty good, but taking down monsters and exploring in those games is super tedious and boring to me. People who like those games love that poo poo though. I've just accepted that it's not a series for me and stopped trying to play them. You get these Souls haters though and it's the same thing but they are so mad at people for liking the games how they are and fromsoft not meeting their demands/players who already like the games not agreeing with them.

Yeah, I think I would love Monster Hunter if only I didn't have to chase the dang things around all the time and keep sharpening my weapon, and also have to do a bunch of collection quests to get the good items but I have a friend who loves that poo poo so I'm happy for him whenever a new MH comes out. Souls games achieving various difficulty levels via emergent gameplay elements always seemed like a cool thing to me, as opposed to just moving damage sliders up or down.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

The PS1 Armored Core games are some of my fondest teenage memories, I still enjoy them today even though the control scheme is god drat insane, and I absolutely loving despise playing Souls games so where do I fit on the From slider

You are the Furtive Pygmy

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Blocking/parrying. I wasn't holding the L1 button down long enough. I was tapping it like I would a jump button because the game said hold it to block. Turns out I needed to hold to block and hold a short time to parry. It's a subtle difference but it's not explained in game and I was able to get all the way to the end without learning this mechanic. The game doesn't really explain the difference between a short press and a long press. So because hitting R1 is a tap it made sense, to me, that tapping L1 would be parry.

I hope that makes sense.

Once I learned that I didn't have to have perfect timing with my parrying I took ISS down in about an hour.

Wait so you never parried before that? How did you even get through the game? That's like literally the game's primary combat mechanic.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not just that, but from what I remember you *do* simply tap L1 to parry? Pretty sure that's how I did it the entire time, and I don't remember anything new or different in the final boss fight, other than the fact that it was really drat hard.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In sekiro it was a "deflect" that perfectly defended and did posture damage to the enemy if you tapped the button at the right time, and "parry" if you just held the button so Sekiro Man would turtle behind his sword and automatically defend all incoming hits.

They were accidentally playing like they were on the optional NG+ extra-hard mode where you can only ever deflect and holding the button is useless.

What you're describing as "parry" is just what I knew as "blocking". I don't remember it being very useful because you would receive posture damage, as opposed to building it on the enemy when you timed a parry right.

I'm honestly confused by this talk of holding L1 for a better parry. Are you guys sure you aren't just misinterpreting how if you spam-tap L1 it vastly reduces the parry window?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

what you call "blocking" is what the game called "parrying", and what you are calling "parry" is what the game called "deflect". it's a pretty confusing name choice though since it means a totally different thing from other FROM games, yeah. but it did tell you all that stuff and the names for mechanics etc in the tutorial

and yeah Waltzing Along is saying the game never taught them how to "block" and they were just doing perfect timed deflects on every hit until the final boss

I just checked the wiki and there doesn't seem to be any action in the game officially referred to as parrying (though I think the game calls L1 "parry button"). I'm still confused about what exactly we're talking about here.

From what I remember when I played it, there were 2 ways to mitigate damage with L1. You could hold it down without caring about timing, and this would block incoming attacks but at the cost of posture. Alternatively (ideally), you could press L1 right as the attack hits, which would cause posture damage to the enemy. Whether you tapped it or continued to hold L1 after that wouldn't make any difference. I think Waltzing Along is saying that there was a difference if you held it though?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not mistimed deflects, it's that I wasn't holding the button long enough.

If you hold the button down it is block.
If you press the button it is deflect.
I was tapping the button.

To pull numbers out of my rear end: if a block is 50 ms and a deflect is 10 ms, I was doing 1 ms taps. Once I held the button down for that slight bit longer it all worked. My problem wasn't the timing so much as my letting go too soon.

In other words, I was trying to be too fast. Faster than the game needed me to be.

I'm honestly not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but... I think what you're describing might only exist in your head. Is there a youtube video that breaks this down or something? It's almost like you're describing a different game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Elden Ring 2 will be an MMO

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My favorite game is Elden Ring :)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure the first good action RPG was Zelda

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
RPG just means you have an inventory and you can permanently increase your HP

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If RPGs were about making your own character that would disqualify pretty much all JRPGs

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
liar ahead

The Protagonist posted:

lol there are illusory walls in ER that take like

fifty hits to go down

lmao

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
In TES 6 the only thing you'll be able to create with alchemy is healing potions, and players will still find a way to break the game with it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
PC will always have superior haptic feedback

https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1491948952895250435

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The fast travel system in Elden Ring serves the game well, but it could be so much better. The game has a seamless, open world, so why have the fast travel simply load you into your destination? Make it so you get on a magic bird or something that flies you to where you want to go, allowing you to view the terrain pass by underneath. Making travel into a loading screen makes it a lot harder for my brain to square away where places are in relation to everything else, and instead makes the various locations feel more like traditional isolated levels in a game. Ironically, this is something that WoW, of all things, got right.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

I think live-traveling is excellent for games to introduce players to a new area/highlight destinations in a specific area, but I'll be damned if another game forces me to spend 15 minutes flying down the barrens every time I get a quest there.

Respecting player time is one of the best QoLs modern gaming has focused on.

WoW didn't get it perfect, just saying they had the right idea. The travel speed/acceleration can obviously be adjusted. In ER I imagine these flights would take about 10 - 15 seconds, similar to the loading time we face currently.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry but this sounds loving awful and there are many good reasons that this is not how fast travel works in most games. I commend you for this contribution to the thread.

The main reason it isn't used is because it takes extra effort. Why do you think it sounds awful?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

To get the effect that you're asking for the computer has to load and render assets along the flight path. If this is too fast then it's going to look like poo poo. The bare minimum amount of time it could take would be the time spent sitting at the loading screen that you see right now, therefore by necessity this process will need to take that time + time required to load and render all of the poo poo along the way. That's extra time spent watching my character ride an animal, perhaps an additional 10 or 20 seconds for shorter paths every time that you fast travel, instead of playing the game. This will be cool a handful of times and frustrating most of the time.

And that's just the "don't waste my time" aspect. It doesn't even get into the logistics of going to destinations that would be inaccessible to whatever thing you fly on, say at the bottom of an elevator inside a dungeon, or in one of the game's many underground areas

Like I was saying, it could be tuned to be about as long as the current load times. A couple extra seconds would be worth the effect of better building a more cohesive image of the world for the player IMO. And they can always add a skip option to just load the area directly. The world design is my favorite part of Fromsoft games, and I think this would be a good way to enjoy that aspect of them even more.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm saying that this part that I've bolded is not a valid assumption. If I'm being transported from one side of the world to the other, then I need to load and render not only the assets from the destination but also from everything within sight distance from my travel path. If the time to load and render the destination is N then the time to travel and land there is C*N where C scales with both travel distance and render distance.

e: It's fundamentally a data throughput problem where you're asking "why can't I do 10x more IO and computation in the same amount of time". There is always going to be a tradeoff here. If you want to have the character model fly there, then it is going to take more time than a simple loading screen.

I don't think that's true at all. The game is actually very wasteful when it loads new areas, dumping everything it currently has and loading it all fresh. Case in point: try fast traveling to a nearby location that you could reach on foot within 5 seconds. You'll get there faster on foot than with fast travel. Short trips would mostly be faster than fully loading the destination because lots of that data will already be loaded. Long distances would probably take a bit longer but, I dunno, shouldn't they?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

even if they optimized loading to be 10x as fast, the ride-on-a-bird animation would still always be slower than the loading screen

The post you quoted contains an example of a situation where it wouldn't be.

I mean yeah, if Fromsoft's fast travel just put up a splash screen while it moved the player from X1,Y1,Z1 to X2,Y2,Z2 then there would be no beating it, but that's not what it does.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, if you're standing literally next to a fast travel point and then choose to fast travel there, that may be slower than just taking 2 steps. Profound stuff.

But that's not relevant to what we're talking about. The whole point of a fast travel system is to cover large distances quickly, and that's clearly the context you were considering when you were talking about how cool it would be to watch the scenery from a flying mount. That would be an annoying time waster after the first 1 or 2 times, a fact that every former WOW player understands well.

It's an extreme example to clearly demonstrate that the dynamic you're talking about isn't necessarily true. Still, in most situations, a significant amount of the required game data for the destination will already be loaded into memory. I imagine lot of short to medium range trips would actually be faster because of this (not that that was the point in the first place).

And if I'm flying from one end of the world to the other and the game takes 15 seconds instead of 10 to visually convey how large and interconnected everything is, I wouldn't consider that a problem. You can still always include the option to skip it, I guess.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

No, the flying mount method would still be slower than a loading screen in that example. If the flying mount method can preserve assets that are already in memory, then so can a loading screen. What we've agreed on is that both methods would be slower than just walking the distance yourself, if the distance is small enough.
Yeah, in a post above I mentioned how this wouldn't be the case if the game engine used a more efficient method where it just updated the player's location instead of dumping everything first. But that's not how it works anyway so :shrug:

QuarkJets posted:

No, I've already pointed out the misconceptions here. If you need to load new assets for the flight path that aren't used at the origin or destination, then you have already lost time versus a loading screen. By definition. In the best case, the flying mount method could take equal time, but it rarely ever will.
I realize all of that but I'm saying the time loss would probably be small enough to not really matter, at least in my eyes. It sounds like you consider any increase in time to be a deal breaker, so maybe we're just never going to agree on this.

QuarkJets posted:

If a large set of game assets are so repeatedly used that you're caching them in memory because you could need them at any moment, then a loading screen transition can make use of those same cached assets.

Again, it could, but it doesn't.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

fast travel should plot a line between your location and destination then teleport you to a random encounter at some point in between the two

You have been waylaid by ambushers and must defend yourself

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Whenever I get to a boss in Elden Ring I put down my summon sign and help a few other players beat it, because co-op is fun and it lets me learn the boss patterns, then I beat it on my own :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Giving the player a plethora of options that fit naturally within the game world and lore that result in an organic, emergent change in difficulty is an inferior, outdated, and downright stupid approach compared to just adding a slider that reduces or increases enemy damage. Game design is my passion.