Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

galagazombie posted:

Realistic lighting is my nemesis. It’s the worst thing to ever happen to games. You know why “light” and “dark” are synonyms for “good” and “bad” respectively in literally every human culture that has ever existed? Because things not being fully lit and unshadowed loving sucks. You think Shakespeare performed his plays with “realistic lighting”? gently caress no he lit that stage up so everyone could see the drat actors. It’s a sad world we live in where N64 and PS1 games with their jaggy and muddled squares have better visibility than games made on hardware 100 times more powerful. And all simply because the former just lit each object in the way that made the game most fun, instead how the dumb lantern said it should be.

Shakespeare lived before electricity and performed his plays outside and during the day time so people could see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dads_work_files posted:

Baldur's Gate (And Oblivion, Two Worlds, insert generic fantasy realm here) doesn't really look like medieval England or northern Europe at all. They always look like gorgeous sun-kissed Mediterranean/Californian valleys and grasslands, and the colour palette is always exactly the same, and you lose something in not having the miserable rainy muddy gnarled woods and bleak dark ponds and so forth that Tolkien was writing about.

I'm reading lotr again and it's really striking how post apocalyptic the world feels, just ruins and forests for miles and the occasional town

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is exactly why BG3 sucks. I don't want closeups and voice acted mo-cap emoted conversations they just slow the whole thing way the gently caress down

I can read a paragraph of text faster than BG3 loads into a conversation, and then BG3 makes you tediously click through every sentence of that conversation with a short delay between each one. gently caress that!!!

Replace each character with an approval number, nethack style, so you can see them tick up or down as you hammer through the dialogue prompts imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of people here probably weren't even aware that this happened but there was a big controversy that Baldur's Gate 3 won a bunch of GOTY awards. You might ask: for the people complaining about it, what game do these intrepid individuals believe should have won instead?

Hogwarts Legacy.

I don't care what you think about BG3, it's hilarious that a bunch of terfs are mad that the most mid game ever made isn't everyone's goty

From what I saw way more people were mad about spiders man not winning, or totk. In any case who gives a (consults notes) poo poo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

WELLLLL WE GOt THIS NOTION THAT WE'D QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN SO WE'RE BUILDIN' A BIG BOAT TO LEAVE HERE FOR GOOD

Vic posted:

WE'RE NOT KEEN ON SINKING SO THAT'S WHY WE'RE SITTING HERE A THINKING CAUSE WE BUILT I TOO BIG AND WE RAN OUT OF WOOD

fyi I can push this button right here and ban you both forever, I barely even have to move my finger

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't ever tried Age of Wonders, that may be what I need; thanks Fur20

The master of magic remaster is good, they just added hexes and prettied up the graphics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I showed Doom (1993) to a 12 year old family friend and they bought it on their own steam the next day.

Restored my faith a bit in these dark times :sniff:

Yeah my 15yo daughter and her friend found it in my steam account and started playing it, they loved it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aramis posted:

I recently grabbed Cyberpunk 2077 on sale because I was assured that it's good now.

Am I missing something? It's kinda trash to me so far. The gameplay is wholly unremarkable, every animation that's not part of a baked story scene looks super-awkward and stilted, ambient NPC behaviors are downright weird, and everything in the environment feels... I dunno... stuck, like part of a set. Everything feels artificial, and I don't mean that in an intentional artistic statement kind of way.

Maybe this gets more interesting once I access some cooler skills/implants, but so far, I feel like it's going to be a slog to keep going.

I really like it, it's ok if you don't though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vic posted:

They say PC expensive but you need a couch to play on a console

Couch needs a house to go in my friend

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Quote-Unquote posted:

The n64/ps1 era of 3d games was so loving ugly.

Signalis is great (it's loving ugly too though dgmw)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2 hasn't aged very well, looking forward to the remake because i loved it at the time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

galagazombie posted:

Dude where have you been the past 10 years? Western games are all about boning now. Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate 3, rpgs especially now seem to require on screen sex. Actually I’m pretty sure far more western games have actual for real sex scenes (rather than just ogling) than anime games these days.

Yeah I was going to spec my gnome sorc in bg3 into anal but the grind for the BIS strap on is way too sweaty

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

It's very not for me, all I know is it's online and shooting and that just doesn't look like anything to me. I think if I played it I wouldn't be able to say it's bad, I'd just wonder why I blacked out and what I did during my lost time.

I've never played it, anyway here is what i think of it,

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrQwerty posted:

getting the Crusader Kings II Thelma & Louise event after I bought SoI was one of the funniest things that ever happened to me in a singleplayer videogame

Could you describe them? I like crusader lols

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duck and Cover posted:

It makes very little sense though because it's an easy game that requires patience more so then skill. I guess "get patient" wouldn't be as ego stroking by those who say it and would be useful advice.

It's easy once you've learnt how to play it, and have developed the skills and understanding to make it easy, once u have got, for want of a better word, 'good'.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Moon Monster posted:

Very cool game that leans hard into being a fantasy world simulator over "quality of life" style stuff, sometimes to its detriment. Like, when you go out at night it's actually dark and substantially more dangerous than traveling during the day [cool!]. It lets you miss content which makes playing it feel a lot more consequential buuuut it goes a bit hard here, like you can miss a huge sidequest and get permanently locked out of a significant portion of the map by following the main story for half an hour after starting the game [hmm]. A large portion of the game's cooler/more exotic monsters and gear are virtually/entirely exclusive to the postgame/expansion dungeons [bad].

It's pretty flawed in a lot of ways but it also does some great stuff really well and there's nothing else quite like it.

whats the story with the sidequest?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

holy poo poo there's a new Alone in the Dark

oh wait they want me to pay 60 bucks for it and already have 5 pieces of DLC. For a game that released yesterday but looks like it came out in 2010.

:thumbsup: game devs. At least it doesn't appear to be a live service game.

There's a demo, which is very short and kind of terrible, and the reviews for the full game are not positive. A rare swing and a miss for the franchise unfortunately

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you still buy and play it? Pretty sure you can only play the messed up remake of it now.

Yeah it's great, worth modding a little, this came out recently and it's apparently vg

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

my bad, I forgot that William Henry Hairytaint played a catboy in Final Fantasy XIV because they changed the thread title

I can change it back if we need to :hai:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

in highschool a friend beat the game and was excited and his dad asked what he was yellin about and he says "I just beat Diablo!" and his dad goes "oh is that what you call it nowadays?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

are you really mad that I'm not mad lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Archer666 posted:

I got as far as that with the exact same thought. And then i uninstalled the game and played something else

lol me too. it was fantastic up to there though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I am enjoying the System Shock remake very much. I never played the original, even though System Shock 2 is in the running for my favorite video game of all time. Creeping around with no hand-holding and getting talked down to by cyber-mommy is apparently still my jam.

Panting and sweating as u run thru my corridors

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nothing else gets my grognard impulses firing like Fallout. I wish other people gave a poo poo about Fallout 1 and 2, two of my favorite games of all time, instead of garbage games like 3/4/NV.

I'm imagining a hiss as the entire thread goes hostile and your combat panel opens, and you go off and get a coffee while waiting for everyone to post

I liked the first two but I'm not sure i could handle how slow the combat was these days

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I saw a grenade for sale in a type of vending machine that usually only sells chips and soda and it made me worried that other vending machines sold useful stuff like that and I hadn't noticed and might have to backtrack to see what I'd missed. I bought the grenade and SHODAN said "Enjoy your purchase, hacker," and I'm so used to her making snarky comments that I didn't even consider it might be a live grenade and I blew up :saddowns:

kids are callin' it getting SHODAN'd

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure most people can intuit that invoking Varda's epithet forms a powerful rune of protection

it's basically trolling to insinuate otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

*gloamingly* I....***AGREE*** with this...hmm...sentiment

I too do not understand the concept of italics