Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Boogerman was top 3 Mega Drive platformer material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Embarrassing lack of Dynamite Headdy itt

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

internet celebrity posted:

Better yet get the randomizer mod. It lets any part spawn on any gun with any stats so every gun you find is hilariously broken in some way.

This sounds like the best way to play Borderlands 2 and heck I enjoyed it start to finish solo on 360

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If you engage with new releases at all you kinda deserve to be disappointed. Especially if you are playing them on the back of other peoples hype. Its just people buying into marketing.

Playing games later for cheaper outside of the hype bubble is a good thing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Away all Goats posted:

If the multiplayer is dead after a while it's probably not worth playing at all

This is true

Except for titanfall 2

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If your age is in double digits there is probably something you could be doing with your life more rewarding than videogames but doing that thing is a far more terrifying thought than sitting in your room spending your money and time in safe and comfortable digital spaces

This probably applies equally well to other passtimes but not in a way i can relate too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never used the mute function on twitter but I've now muted the word "sekiro" and its much nicer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All the BioShock games are fine but theres a lot of over the top hatred for them. You could never say they are boring and they dont overstay their welcome. They are good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The main complaints I've read are the gunplay is below par and the stories are pretentious which are fair comments. Saying a 7 hour long game has overstayed its welcome is :psyduck: though even if you dislike them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

food court bailiff posted:

the very first one has an hour+ long sequence where you move slower than poo poo and can barely see right after the actual climax of the game lmao

No it has a less than 10 minute long sequence which is well done and a great setup for the ready of the game.

Great example of someone using their hated of BioShock to over exaggerate its flaws

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

TheScott2K posted:

The fact that it's so short really underlines how much it drags. You can play the demo of Bioshock and have basically experienced the best of what it has to offer.

I only partially disagree here, the first 30 minutes is the strongest part of BioShock 1.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its probably worth saying that i played all the games on easy and really only cared about the story and world design.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zzulu posted:

Most of those 7 hours aren't fun though

Then why did you play through them :psyduck:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Awful lot of "BioShock loving sucks but i played through it anyway" in this thread. Its ok to drop a game 2 hours in if you find it tedious and unfun. That's how i knew it was safe to uninstall red dead 2 after day 1.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fair enough really, i played through some piles of shite too but only the real dross stands out.

Thinking of Brute Force and Jade Empire still makes me unreasonabley mad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I borrowed a SNES mini from a friend for going away on holiday and the best game on it is a Kirby game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sekiro is a game i knew would feel like tedious bullshit so I've just ignored its existence. I even muted the word from my twitter timeline which feels over the top but there we are

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Mario Kart is good and all but Crash Team Racing is a step above.

That shouldn't surprise anyone though because the original Crash Bandicoot is a level above Mario 64.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nah its good but its a bit easy, crash took legit skill.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't like Journey much, it didn't overstay its welcome so I didn't hate it but waking through pretty environments for 2 hours while being hit over the head with emotional impact is not great videogamery.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I cried at the end of The Walking Dead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Needler was an awesome videogame gun, also shoutout to the pistol for being the starting weapon and best weapon game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Left for Dead games would have been incredible if the weapons felt more impactful than nerf guns

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Trials games are great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Final Fantasy Tactics was one of those PSX games that had whispers of being incredible when I was a kid, it didn't come to the UK for years though so I always felt it skipped past me

I went back and tried it maybe 5 or 6 years ago, it's a garbage game with a convoluted story and Advance Wars was better

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tuo posted:

xcom: terror from the deep was the best xcom

harsh but fair

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best n64 game was Blast Corps

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've not been on many plane journeys but I don't like using a switch in a moving car, i find it difficult to focus and tend to prefer just looking outside.

Its cool for taking to hotels or on holiday but I don't think I'd ever want to play a switch in public outside of travelling

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark Souls 2 and 3 are very good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 3 and Uncharted have more interesting stories and are better games than nier automata

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't think this could possibly be unpopular but the dualshock is the de facto perfect videogame controller, the face buttons, the triggers the dpad the analogue sticks. You couldn't make a better device.

The gamecube and n64 controllers were cool for how novel they were.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Most games have more interesting stories and are better games that nier automata. There are games that I don't like that others do where they're not for me but I can understand the appeal. N:a is not one of them - I honestly cannot understand why anyone likes it. And I played it through all the major endings.

I can understand people liking the clever use of narrative, the streets of rage/ golden axe level combat is something I just can't appreciate.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
All these classic consoles are such a garbage idea. Yeah its fun to waste 5 minutes of your life playing star fox and realising how good games are now but anyone that loads up final fantasy six for the first time in 2019 and earnestly wants to complete it is a nutcase. The formula has been refined to the point an entry from 25 years ago is a fossil now.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It took me years and several metal gear games - including the bizarre card spin off Acid - to realise solid snake is a penis euphemism.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Being a twitch steamer sounds like a great job and if i could go back 9 years I'd say stuff university I'm gonna get really good at dota or starcraft or something

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically.

Streaming is right up there with acting and sports when it comes to "making it". Everyone glamorizes the relative few who find big success and generally don't think about the Failed Legions trailing behind them.

So everything where being successful is not only fun but lucrative then. Its not like people are out there dreaming of becoming accountants.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Theres absolutely no reason a Zelda game should take more than 12 hours. Get your sword get your bow get your bombs do 3 dungeons rinse and repeat 4 years later.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Halo theme deserved a better game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Breath of the wild took the Zelda formula which is a pretty great setup for a game and then added 80 hours padding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The thing is both pcs and consoles are great but the only reason anyone would only use a console is financial