Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins facial hair ban has been lifted.

V: I hope Tom Koehler grows his facial hair back. I thought it was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Carlosologist posted:

I'm still waiting for the Yankees to drop their facial hair policy. Let the players do whatever with their hair, I say

I agree. Brian McCann (who I only just remembered is no longer a Yankee, but still) is a dude who really, REALLY needs to be bearded at all times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: This article about a Fernandez-less spring training, though overwritten, is a bit of a gutpunch.

quote:

Jose, Dee said, would want them to soldier on and have fun and win ballgames … and he stopped himself. He shook his head.

“I honestly feel like that’s a lie,” Dee said. […] “Jose would not want us to keep going without him,” he said. “He’d want to be here. [Like,] ‘Don’t forget me. Wait for me.’”

V:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/831934952304496658

V1: Wheeler ded

V2: Please go away and let Gsellman and/or Lugo be great, tia

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Holy sweet Jesus gently caress how have I never seen this?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Grittybeard posted:

I was a tee ball pitcher.

:psyduck:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

cis autodrag posted:

the guy will only start and he sucks at it and takes space that new pitchers could be using to learn the big leagues so gently caress him.

But enough about Tim Lincecum

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I like to think that there is beauty in everyone, but this picture makes me feel vaguely ill.

Popete posted:

Giving minor leaguers saltine crackers should be enough of an incentive.

If you pay minor leaguers too much, Matt Paré's Homeless Minor Leaguer sketches will be rendered obsolete! :ohdear:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I am terrified. :catstare:

Pancakes posted:

In other news, I had a fever dream last night that Dexter Fowler and I became friends because he was inexplicably curious about Bankruptcy. Best fever dream ever.

Better than the fever dream I had about Robert Gsellman flirting with me to get me to refrain from testifying against him in court. :shrug: :catdrugs:

To contribute:

N: Colby Rasmus's wife browbeat him into shaving off his terrible beard.

V: Colby Rasmus is married, and I'm not. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Really not feeling blond Baez, especially since the Mets made rally bleaching a thing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/835518508750548993

V: For gently caress's sake, can the Mets wait until the actual season to start Mets-ing?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

I'm so desperate for baseball I'm watching a rerun of the Cubs spring training game that ended 1-1 from earlier today. It's something atleast.

I am desperate for baseball to the point that I WISH I understood the appeal of re-watching games, but I just can't.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I think I'm in love :swoon:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

TMMadman posted:

Javier Baez is going to be disappointed.

He should have thought about that before he bleached his hair. :colbert:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alright so I've narrowed it down to these two pictures:

and

I really like the first one but he's not #2 anymore. I like the glove hat thing he does but can't come up with anything clever. Best I've got so far is: "Please don't kill Dansby, he's so young and innocent"

Whatever caption you end up choosing, I've always been partial to the "Dansbae" portmanteau.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I wish Mets Twitter could get it through its thick loving skull that "I hope David Wright retires because gently caress that guy" and "I hope that if given the choice between NOT allowing baseball to debilitate him permanently beyond repair and continuing to play even though his vertebrae are being ground into a fine powder, he chooses the former" are two different statements.

edit: proofread, then post

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 28, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

Whatever caption you end up choosing, I've always been partial to the "Dansbae" portmanteau.

Explosionface posted:

I feel like this should say something about catching a Dansby

Inspector_666 posted:

Dansbae got me catching feelings

Great teamwork, everyone! :hfive:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Sydin posted:

And hey, one guys even has an actual personality!

I swear to god I'm not trying to burn anyone here, but I have to ask -- which one?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

TMMadman posted:

Rizzo is ridiculously adorable and his 'antics' in the dugout and games during the playoffs are why I ended up buying his jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlk5ffRSCY

I totally forgot about this. :allears:

Tom Gorman posted:

My girlfriend also thinks Rizzo is "cute". Like he's adorable.

He is, and I forgot that he does funny/cute things on occasion. I think I was just still subconsciously salty because he won the social media personality award over Noah Syndergaard.

quote:

But the reaction for Kevin was "jesus christ..."

I'm okay with this because I CAN'T ARGUE

Nathan Eovaldi is the dreamiest Ray, and no one can tell me otherwise. :colbert:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: Grandy's thumb is healed up, Plawecki's knee is healed up, but now Lucas Duda, Noah Syndergaard, and Travis d'Arnaud have been poisoned are all gut-sick.

NY Daily News posted:

Lucas Duda was out of the workouts and lineup Monday with the flu. The bug is going around the clubhouse. Travis d'Arnaud was fighting it as he homered for the second time this spring on Monday and Noah Syndergaard, who is due to start on Wednesday, is also trying to shake off the last of it.

V: Mets gonna Met

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/839198709875273729

V: Jake Arrieta is a fuckwad, and I take back every nice thing I ever said about his beautiful thighs after the Body Issue.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Dr. Remulak posted:

Because he'd toss one at a rookie for bat flipping on him? Are you guys that soft?

Yes.

quote:

I'm all for bat flips and celebrating and poo poo talking, it makes the game more fun for the viewer, but if you're a young gun doing that to a pitcher you know exactly what you're signing up for.

Sorry I don't view deliberately hurting people as "fun". :shrug:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Grittybeard posted:

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

When I was 10 I went to a Kids Day game at Shea, and they let us throw pitches, and I was deeply disappointed to learn that I had a 35-mph fastball.

Nowadays, I'd love to see a 20-mph Eephus pitch or some wacky poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N:

V:

Inspector_666 posted:

Thor is cool and good.

Apparently he's starting tomorrow during Tim Tebow's debut, which... :sigh: . I just want this stupid Tebow experiment to be over so we can go back to talking about real baseball players again. Conforto and Bruce are vying for right field, and Gsellman, Lugo, and Wheeler are battling it out for the fifth spot in the rotation, and both of those things are way more exciting than this publicity stunt.

Of course, if Tebow turns out to actually be worth a drat, I'll change my tune, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Beautiful. :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tebow gonna lead off the bottom of the 3rd, praise the lord

I'm really disappointed that I couldn't watch the Mets-Astros game instead, even though it seems like Gsellman kind of stunk out there. :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I don't want to sound like a crumbum, but gently caress this Tebow poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It did not seem intentional to me, but I have a very very very very long history of giving people way too much benefit of the doubt.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Julio Cruz posted:

Stay tuned for more, he's starting in the OF on Friday.

Why are they dragging out this extremely stupid fake "experiment"? Ugh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/840271769168683008

V: I need video of this more than I've ever needed anything in my life.

edit: V2: I would also accept a Frenchy GIF with Tim Tebow's face photoshopped into it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

That throw is disappointingly mediocre. I was expecting so much more of a shitshow.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Dwigt Rortugal. Holy poo poo. :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Followed (I think).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yes indeed! :toot:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: To the surprise of no one, Jose Fernandez was determined to be driving when his boat crashed, killing everyone on board.

quote:

Investigators made the conclusion because the physical damage to Fernandez’s body matched the damage on the boat’s center console. His DNA was also found on the throttle and steering wheel.

V: *flips the "days without Jose Fernandez-related feelings" counter back down to 0* :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

If you're going to read that, might as well get this one out of the way, too.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18898859

quote:

"You'd hit BP and come off," he says, "and everything was [the media asking], 'Hey, how was it without Jose?' You had a game, and it was, 'How was it without Jose?' You went to go eat, or you went to the team bus, it was, 'How was it without Jose?' He had his funeral or this or that, and everything was for everybody else. It wasn't for us to heal from it or recover from it."

God, this poo poo.

Obviously it's not even remotely the same, but I feel like every time I watch a Marlins game, the announcers keep talking about it. Everything is framed as "the team without Jose". His death tore me up, and I feel like the announcers keep ripping the scab off with their constant "the team without Jose" running narrative. It's really hard. The media is infuriatingly insensitive, and I can't imagine how much worse it is for people who were so close to him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

This was a weird thing, and I do not know why it happened.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Timby posted:

Dusty basically let the players declare war on the broadcast team

I want to know what you mean by this, and also it reminds me that Noah Syndergaard sniped Steven Matz & Doug Williams with a water gun in mid-interview yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IMB posted:

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

I want to say I've heard worse, but I can't think of any examples and I'm not sure that Berman's "BACK BACK BACK"-ing counts as a call, per se.

• Locked thread