Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I made a WBC thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bartolo Colon and Brandon Phillips were traded for each other 15 years ago, and they're teammates in Atlanta for the first time this year. Besides Phillips, he's outlasted every prospect he was traded for.

will_colorado posted:

Mark Reynolds turned down a $3 million offer from a Korean team; received multiple minor league offers and chose to re-sign with Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/14/mark-reynolds-turned-down-3-million-return-to-rockies/

Mark Reynolds, you are officially a cool fuckin' dude.

I'm a little sad we wouldn't get a chance to see Mark Reynolds tee off against Korean pitchers though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
No photos yet, but Felix Hernandez had a huge workout regimen and apparently gained like 15 pounds of muscle for #BSOHL alert.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

My sister and I played little league together & I'm a lefty and she's a righty. She was so bad the coaches asked her to try throwing lefty :lol:

I got to play 1 season with my brother on the same team. I was 9 when he was 12. I had the best OBP so coach batted me leadoff. There was one game where I had no official at-bats, 4 walks and 4 runs. My brother, batting 3rd, drove me in all 4 times with 2 doubles and 2 home runs. We were a finely tuned scoring machine.

edit: earlier leagues usually featured half coach pitch / tee-ball and then the rest was kid pitch. So many wild pitches in the later innings.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mmm yeah inject Goose's hot takes into my veins. That's the stuff.

I unironically agree that we need managers like Earl Weaver and Lou Piniella back. Their meltdowns were a sight to see, and I'll never forget the game I attended where I saw Lou get ejected. Goose forgets that Weaver was the first sabermetic manager though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is unblock-us still considered a good VPN? Or have MLB.tv caught up to them?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Passan did some good reporting on Garrett Richards' recovery from a partial tear using stem cells and avoiding TJS:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-baseball-players-are-trying-stem-cells-to-avoid-tommy-john-162916970.html

Still in progress, but Richards recovered in a few months as opposed to being out for 14 months with TJS, so uh... cool.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Next article on Brietbart: CURT SCHILLING - Aborted Fetuses Have No Place in the Locker Room

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

This is why "but STEROIDS :arghfist:" is such a terrible anti-Bonds HoF argument. Even if you ascribe every single thing he did post-98 to steroids, by that point he was already HoF-worthy with 3 MVPs and very nearly 100 WAR.

It was never about his records being tainted, it was about him using them in the first place and violating "the character clause." That's the faux outrage sportswriters use.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

tadashi posted:

I look forward to sports writers keeping Tom Brady out of the NFL HoF for the first 5 years of his eligibility because he's was disciplined for cheating.

Unironically agreed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've stopped paying attention to Carter Capps after the Mariners traded him. Is he still a decent reliever?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

I will laugh so hard if it turns out the Padres posting this tweet inadvertently got one of their own players' deliveries outlawed:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/831917274227281920

To be fair, everyone has known about his weird delivery since he got traded to the Marlins.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pancakes posted:

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

Awhile back and also to distract from "greenhorns shouldn't disrespect pitchers" chat, but Chris PrattScott Hatteberg hitting a grand slam and a triple play in one game is probably never going to happen again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I get that Moneyball rightfully pointed out that stealing was bad unless you were REALLY good at it, but the lack of steals in baseball makes it a little sad. The Mariners got Jarrod Dyson and Jean Segura now, so we might actually start seeing steals.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
look at this fuckin' bat flip:

https://twitter.com/nessalimon/status/835672677151031297/video/1

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a little less issue with hockey fights since there's implied consent between them, but they still constitute a dumb macho culture that surround sports.

Enforcers are the hockey equivalents of grit, scrap & hustle MLB players that arouse blue collar fans that contribute to sportswide CTE issues. I'd rather they weren't around either.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I mean, to be fair, Tebow was one of the greatest college football players ever, won a Heisman trophy (nearly 2), and 2 national championships. He was already a household name in America before he even made it to the NFL.

Also, Tim Tebow created a media circus from college football on regarding his outspoken Christianity, and became a martyr to some because people thought he got cut not because he was bad, but because of his faith.

This was going to happen regardless. I'd say it's independent of the fact that MLB has failed to make Mike Trout a household name.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently ARod and JLo are dating. This news is more appealing to me than Tebow-mania.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

cis autodrag posted:

I know next-to-nothing about hitting but that swing looks extremely awkward to me.

He puts too much weight on his back foot, he throws his hands and arms out making for a long, loopy swing rather than a tight, compact one that you see pros have.

So in other words, it's just like his form when he was a QB.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, there are a lot of boxes that had to be checked off here.

I thought Joe Saunders retired?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHcGWHuThE

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dan Duquette reveals why he didn't try to sign Joey Bats:

quote:

Duquette: (Laughs) Well that was an easy one; our fans just don’t like Jose. We play those guys 25 times a year and he’s the face of the Blue Jays. He’s the villain in the play whenever we play the Blue Jays. I like our guys. Our guys are good. [Mark] Trumbo is like a working-class-type baseball player. If he was going to work every day on a construction site, you would understand that he brings that kind of work ethic every day. That’s the kind of player that our fans identify with. We try to get gritty players that work hard every day and give their best effort every day. Our fans seem to like that and respond to it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Someone make a team of Oscar Taveras

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's gonna own when machado and Mike Trout are Yankees

Budget-concerned Yanks won't sign them. Maybe one, but not both.

Trout will probably get some insane deal by the Marlins and get traded. Or he gets extended by the Angels and falls from grace Albert Pujols style.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wish US baseball had Japanese-style brass bands & singing sections, and I wish that white dudes would shut the gently caress up about how players of color play/celebrate the game forever.

A small brass band should go to a weeknight game and sit in an unoccupied part of the stadium and start playing a bunch of music, and see what happens.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
N: The Mariners just optioned Dan Vogelbach to AAA, which is weird because everyone was saying that he was gonna be the starting 1st basemen.

V: Bring on Danny Valencia, I guess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jose Canseco got hired as a sports analyst for NBC Sports California. Good... or bad?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Never read Donald Trump's memoirs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I read that yesterday, and it's a good read. I'll get to the point if people don't feel arsed to read it:

The biggest factor is the time between pitches, which is an issue caused by both pitchers and hitters. Instant reply caused a long delay, but nowhere near the pace of game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Drew Smyly got scratched from his final ST start with what Scott Servais described as a "soggy arm."

I have no idea what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rand alPaul posted:

Five years ago on this night, the A's played the Mariners in Japan at like 4:30AM CST and it was hilarious.

I woke up at 2am to watch that. That was a fun time.

edit: speaking of Japan, Ichiro asked on if he will ever retire: "I think I’ll just die’'

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread