Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh absolutely, these things make the game easier. But they do so by removing bad difficulty. Just like, say, a game may be easier than its predecessor because it adds an option to skip battle animations, which means you need less patience when grinding; the predecessor was technically harder, just not in a way that any sane person would care about.

If you're crazy, though, then you see difficulty as purely a way to separate the True Fans from the Casuals, and thus any source of difficulty is good and you will defend the Rightness of being forced to sit through every goddamn battle animation every time because otherwise it would be too easy to grind up to L99 or whatever.

Yup. Remember, there are people out there that are really upset that you don't have to calculate EVs and IVs by hand (or by memory editor :ssh:) anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dominicius posted:

had to drop it by mid game when the grind just got a bit too much to stomach

I don't feel like this game is that bad

These two statements don't seem like they go together. :raise:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

Also, while I don't pretend to know anything about the high-level scene, it seems like Bug has reduced damage to a crapload of types. Was there some kind of gameplay/balance thing that Bug needed another 1/2-damage type to fix?

Nope, bug bing awful offensively is pretty much just for flavor reasons. Historically bug tends to have bad stats and weak attacks, so facing so many resistances is just kicking them while they're down.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
MS Paint Bird is not, in fact, "so good."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I like how the sprite artist managed to get her tiny barette to line up perfectly with the arc of the off-center eyebrow they tried to squeeze in, resulting in Maria having one super long dramatic eyebrow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

This has been a fun read as a non-Pokemon guy but I will say, as someone who is just experiencing Gen2 Pokes due to GO, there is probably some serious nostalgia going on among y'all. The designs in this game are not that much worse than Gen2s which are hideous for the most part.

Gen 2 was pretty inoffensive. The same can be said of some of the designs here, sure, but we're like one gym in and Uranium already has a lot to answer for (I'm looking at you Barewl.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

(My guess is the devs liked one of the other starters more and didn't test the grass one.)

Dev picked squirtle and never forgave Blue's bulbasaur for beating him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GeneX posted:

It's entirely because of the whole carp->dragon myth thing, I think.

I imagine there wasn't quite as intentional or interesting an origin for most of uranium's brood

Someone has never heard of the "weird dumb brown ball with a face wearing a helmet with ears that has a spring sticking out of the top that might supposed to be a bomb but who the gently caress can tell let alone why" myth before.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

It does feel like in some cases a Pokemon should have more than 2 types, but due to technical and design limitations, that can't happen. Of course at this point, rebalancing and reprogramming the game to account for more than 2 types on a Pokemon would be an utter nightmare.

Since Gen 6 there's been engine support for triple-typed mons due to type modifying moves, but I think the conceptual overhead of having to filter everything through 3-4 layers of typing would probably be worse than just arbitrarily picking 2 types for something that looks like it should have a 3rd. Also, abilities like Steelworker or Levitate can already give a mon a simplified version of a 3rd type, which is probably a better solution for most situations.

Alacron posted:

Here's hoping they don't more or less drop it like they every single feature since the dawn of time

fixed it

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 22, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Honestly he was never that bad. Dude's just a crazy obsessive who made a mod balanced for other crazy obsessives. I wouldn't want to deal with the bullshit he put in, but that's why there is a content version. Lots of goons just get really mad when people like things they don't like, and then grasp for any reason to hate the guy.

Like seriously? He patched an exploit. What a monster!

He has said some pretty insufferably smug things but he did eventually tone down his attitude. But he was definitely always open about the fact that he was working with a broken toolkit. FFT has a lot of structural flaws that make it difficult to turn into a legitimate strategy challenge--not unlike Pokemon, to keep this tangentially on topic. But Uranium is built on a customizable platform from the ground up, so it has little excuse to not fix bullshit, whereas Archael started out with just pure data modding and only got into engine modding quite late in development IIRC.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, I think this might be the laziest goddamn pokemon design of all time. So it's a regular ant, whose name is just a very tangentially related common noun, not any sort of pun or portmanteau or wordplay.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

unless you meant why it was named smore, that's a dumb name bc the creator of this game isn't very smart

I mean the whole concept. There's some kind of association with fire since it learns fire moves and is named after a campfire food, but there's nothing in the design to really suggest that it's supposed to be fiery except for being red, which is a common color for regular ants that don't shoot fire. If this was supposed to be basic generic ant pokemon then the design "works", but ants generically have only an incredibly tenuous connection with campfires (in that they are both things found outdoors) and definitely do not shoot fire.

Even if it had a loving campfire on its back or whatever Smore would still be a really dumb lazy name, though. Like, give it a crumb to carry around and call it Smorsel and bam now you've got an actual pokemon maybe

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Earnestly posted:

Though it probably should have been a fire subtype for the pun to work.

It's not a pun!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arcade Rabbit posted:

At this point, it honestly seems smarter and easier to just make your own IP? Like, tweak the battle system a little and change the capture method, but it sounds much easier than dealing with all the legal nonsense. Obviously that would take much more effort, but let's be honest. Uranium could use some more effort put in. Especially when you get down to 95% done and then have the C&D hit you. Yes, you lose out on that instant recognition that Pokemon carries, but that's not really your recognition to have in the first place. Because Pokemon isn't yours. Plus, then you'd have a way to make some actual money off of it from sales and marketing.

To clarify, I'm not saying fangames themselves are strictly bad or that Uranium would be worth buying in any form. I'm just saying that if you're going to put in a 9 year development time, put it in to something that won't be shut down at the finish line or something you can turn an actual profit on.

Somehow I don't think the creative talents responsible for Barewl are exactly up to the task of creating their own Pokemon-killer IP.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

I thought that Gunpei Yokoi created Metroid, and Sakamoto is just the director of the series since Yokoi died.

Gunpei Yokoi was the producer. It was probably more of a team effort than Sakamoto lets on, but he was a lead member of the creative team from the start.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It doesn't. Not like it couldn't use one.

(hp/atk/def/speed/sp.atk/sp.def order for some reason)

BST of 430 is pitiful, and it's a boring-rear end pure poison type.

Its best attack stat is 60. That's some Ledian tier poo poo right there.

E: I'm guessing Barewl/Deerewl's head thing is supposed to be a crown somehow, and it's Ball + Rewl (Rule). Which, if true, is... not a better rationale for the name than "I just typed letters at random."

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 3, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

i feel bad for ol' baaschaf, cursed to eternally stand on its own tail

Could be worse.

"Spoink bounces around on its tail. The shock of its bouncing makes its heart pump. As a result, this Pokémon cannot afford to stop bouncing—if it stops, its heart will stop."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

I think we've identified the problem. I doubt this was playtested, and if it were, I'm pretty sure the devs disregarded all negative feedback.

My bet is still on "nursing decades-long grudge against grass starter after losing to playground friend as a kid."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Babbaron > Viscaque > Gorillearl
Problem is a lot of the more famous animals of Africa are already taken.

Eh, just because there's one of something doesn't mean they can never do another. I don't think Girafarig has completely plumbed the depths of the design space for cool pokemon giraffes, etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Coconut crab is the first Uranium design I genuinely like :3:

Backhoe dragon is a good concept but the execution is a bit iffy. B-, maybe a C+.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Bullshit subtypes for Steel and Dragon are why I always endeavor to have at least one move of every type present on my team (I even managed it the past two gens, though both required some creativity to cover some gaps*). Bronzong was always the worst, you never knew if you'd need Fire or Ground until after you'd wasted a turn. I'd honestly say Steel/Psychic is worse than Steel/Dragon, but it might just be that Metagross and Bronzong are just massive pains in the rear end.

These days steel doesn't protect against ghost or dark, so steel/psychic is a lot more manageable. Steel/fairy is the new thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mediocre but heavily optimized stats? Perfectly reasonable. Insanely good typing that's been limited to box legendaries up until now? Ok, why not. Extremely strong boosting moves that are enough to lift something entire tiers of viability? Uh, mmmmaaaaybe...

loving Speed Boost? :shepicide:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So... wait. Does this mean every dual type that doesn't include steel or nuclear is 4x weak to nuclear? If so that is definitely a cool, thematic, and well thought out mechanic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Added Space posted:

The other possibility is that it's a lazy joke. "Ha ha, poison sux, steel rules! "

Not necessarily a joke. Some people just get really into a game's meta to the point where they get stuck on the way things are as the way things are "supposed" to be and want to reinforce them even more. To this thinking steel is "supposed" to be massively awesome defensively and poison is "supposed" to completely suck offensively, so why would you try to balance them out at all when that's clearly not how the game works?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

contain might be strong but it does a good job absorbing rads yeah, you are correct tho water is only used to regulate temperature in plants (which is why the steam is allowed into the outside enviroment!)

Water still gets used as a moderator to slow down the reaction, they just keep it in a closed loop completely separate from the generator steam loop. There's a sealed pipe of superheated reactor water that goes through a tank of clean water, so the heat transfers out and boils the surrounding water but the irradiated reactor water never mixes with it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, I guess that's how the "Link" in the name makes sense? The name doesn't exactly have much to do with ghosts or Pokeballs.

It's because it has a chain :ms:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I remember trying to use Ferrothorn in my black 2 run just because I thought it was cool. It was pretty painful.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

nah, Ferrothorn is fun if you play to its strengths. You need one that's slow as it can be, and it needs to have a Rocky Helmet on it, and switch into enemies that like to use physical attacks. It especially likes to play with fast enemies, and Gyro Ball them to death. also fun - have Curse on it. I think mine ran with Gyro Ball/Power Whip/Curse/Payback. It was so different to use compared to how you normally use Pokemon in regular playthroughs, but I had a great time with it. I tried to breed a Ferroseed with Leech Seed first, but it didn't work for whatever reason. Just as well, the CurseBall gimmick was enough. and laughing at any physical attackers that didn't pack a fire move.

I mean yeah it's a good Plan B and it's fun once or twice for the novelty, but you really don't want to spend the whole game killing things the slow way. Also, you wind up suffering a lot more attrition since you're facetanking random encounters instead of preemptively murdering them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alex0080 posted:

My MSPaint homage to all of the Fakemon posted in this thread that wanted to be Digimon.

Digital Hazard Nuclear Arbok

It looks like it's wearing a little tie. Business Snake is ready for business.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

also lol at the priority spam you are about to initiate, i really like the 130 attack gale wings bug

In any other context I would assume "130 attack gale wings bug" referred to a programming or data error that accidentally let you get gale wings on a 130 base attack mon because lol who would do that on purpose

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

McDragon posted:

Hooray, the snek appeared.

So beautiful

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have a lot of trouble following the discussion here. Are these pokemon better or worse than Uranium's?

e: actually might be real pokemon far as I can tell, idk

Go! Staroptor!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ronch settles it: object pokemon are Good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Strange Matter posted:

I wasn't aware that Nintendo had hired Haruki Murakami to write their Pokemon games.

Not nearly enough sexual tension between underage girls and bookish thirtysomething introverted writers to be Murakami (thank god.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

tbh, I was semi-convinced the new type in X/Y would be sound before they revealed Fairy. It definitely has enough stuff in the game to support an archetype already with a ton of pokemon based around it, sound moves having special mechanics, multiple abilities that affect sound moves etc.

Not saying it should be, but I could easily have seen Gamefreak doing it.

Nah, that would completely gut the already anemic list of normal-type special attacks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Its not like thats stopped them before. Remember during the Physical/Special split where they had to create Dark Pulse because all previous Dark moves became physical?

Yeah, but at that point what do they even do with it? Regular Beam? Boring Pulse? Sound attacks are an important conceptual niche for normal types and without them normal becomes even more of a joke.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

ok I promise I didn't just make this up on the spot:

glass type

Please do not steal 15-yr-old me's Original Ideas(tm), thx

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

But yeah, the new types added were pretty much for balance purposes. Though I don't really see what Steel was trying to balance apart from "pure defensive type".

Steel did a lot of things:

1) Psychic was so utterly dominant in Gen 1 that it needed a second check beyond Dark
2) Now that Dragon was a real type with actual attacks and more than a single line, something had to resist it
3) Normal was actually a pretty badass attack type with good neutral coverage and great access, and having another resist helped keep it in check
4) Fire was pretty sad: none of the types it beat were all that good while it got murdered by several really good types, so it needed something
5) gently caress Bug, Grass, Ice, and Poison just because

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Another stone evolution. Glavinug is statistically acceptable but water/ice is just rancid typing. If you could get its hidden ability Snow Warning before the post-game that'd be one thing, but you can't. Alas.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for this to get Freeze Dry? Makes for a helluva STAB combo for water/ice at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gyra_Solune posted:

frynai and saidine are actually pretty goddamn solid, i like their names and their designs overall, they do a great job of being cool and also goddamn adorable, Saidine's little headband and super serious samurai expression is just the most precious thing

Saidine is legit, but Frynai isn't quite there on either count. I really like the design but the execution is a bit off--the tail is rendered in a very flat, stiff manner which doesn't really mesh with the body so it just looks like an icon of a kunai randomly superimposed on a fish (contrast with Saidine where there's a curve that runs through the whole body and tail, creating a sense of continuity between the two parts.)

• Locked thread