Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I learned today that the main character of pokemon ranger 2 apparently has a name.

Interested to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SniHjen posted:

I watched MyNameIsKaz stream this, and he said something that I find completely true:

Theo isn't 'The Rival'

You are.

Theo is the protagonist.

People say this about every new pokemon game though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fairies beat dragons because fairies are sparkly and dragons like sparkly things, which causes them to lower their guard and allow the fairies a surprise attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I kind of like that Barewl thing. It's got angry eyebrows.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I missed in the last update that Awakenings weren't buyable yet, which would've just been strange if I noticed then since it's usually one of the first status healing items to pop up in marts, but after that gym it's makes me think it was only done as a poor balancing decision to make the first gym more dangerous. Which is pretty drat stupid. Or I guess it could've been done to make Sleep even more annoying than it usually is for whatever reason, which is just as bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amazing. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I really dislike that they turned the player character into someone's incredibly boring O.C with a terrible name. Part of the game's immersion is that you can name your trainer after yourself and the Pokémon you obtain on your quest are personally yours, hence why there's a lot more emphasis on character customization.

While it's a small gripe, especially since a lot of other games have you control a character with his or her own identity, I can't help but feel offended by the fact that this game's creators took that bit of agency from the player but replaced with the most bland character design and name possible.

Every pokemon main character is basically designed to be an incredibly boring OC though to be fair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I like the concept of HMs, which is to say that I like the idea that Pokemon can do things outside of fighting. However, since most almost all HM moves are terrible to use in actual combat, even at the time you get them, and can only be removed by one person in the world, I think they seriously flubbed the execution. I think the best way to deal with HMs would have been to either: make them a fifth move that a Pokemon could learn, limiting each Pokemon to four combat powers and one utility power; or to eliminate HM moves and make the HMs an inherent part of the badge system, allowing any Pokemon who can learn the HM to use the power as long as you have the associated Gym Badge. Both systems benefit from making HMs non-combat, reducing screen clutter. This system can even work with some non-HM moves, like Teleport, Sweet Scent, or Flash (outside of Gen 1). Some Pokemon who start with a move useable outside of combat would either start with their "field move" slot filled, or would have extra "field moves". The current "rental Pokemon" system I hear they've implemented in Sun and Moon sounds like an acceptable alternative, but I feel like it would kill some of the immersion for me; suddenly I can't have my giant bird fly me around, but this other guy's giant bird can do it just fine? Meh.

You think any random bird has the license to safely carry people from place to place? You could've got that thing from anywhere! You need a well-trained audited bird that is a proven safe flyer, and will always get you to your destination no matter what. Safety first y'know?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the other hand, the removal of HMs meant that they had to introduce way more NPC roadblocks to railroad you instead, so it's up to you if HMs were preferable to that or not.

Black and White 2 shows that they can do both! So Sun and Moon is certainly preferable to that. And to be honest I don't really remember too many npc roadblocks outside of the Stoutland in Island 2, but they still use not having the right rental pokemon to traverse the area the same way they used HMs. It just doesn't take up a move slot, or a place on the team, and is often easier to activate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

So I decided to look at the Uranium wiki, at the 'official' art for the new 'mons...

Barewl looks a little better than his sprite?

It still doesn't look great or anything, but at least you can kind of tell it's supposed to be a little rock guy wearing a weird helmet, and not whatever the sprite is supposed to be.

It'd probably look better without the tail and with it's body being closer to Geodude's in texture.

It doesn't have the angry eyebrows so it's far worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait, so all wild Nuclear Pokemon can just ignore you in battle, or is it just the special boss one? Because if it's the former that's real dumb, not a great way to get people to use the new type you introduced.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dalris Othaine posted:

Wait, "Oblivicorn"? gently caress you, Uranium.

It's an attempt at a pun so I can respect it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the dex really needs to spell out it why it looks like a substitute but it's still a pretty interesting idea. One of the better pokemon concepts from this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

The core idea has legs, but, how does it remember what a substitute doll looks like when it doesn't remember what its own Pokemon species looked like? It may not have even known Substitute.

Yeah, my only problem is that it specifies it's mimicking a substitute decoy. It'd probably work better just by saying "it takes this form because it can't remember what it was when alive". But that's a pretty small issue honestly, more with the dex entry than the design. It's still overall solid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I looked up the sprite for Linkite's evolution and broke out laughing.

Wow. That's an awful design.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Those are some good shrooms.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GeminiSun posted:

I got mad and shat out this Linkite redesign in like half an hour.

Voila. Still a sad pokemon ghost, still looks like a substitute doll, still bound to its pokeball. But hopefully cuter, better designed, and less Banksy. I turned the tears into markings on its cheeks a la Yamask, to make it Look Sad without necessarily having to be actually crying for every moment of its existence, and echoed that visual element elsewhere to unify the design.

This is good because the more dark a Pokemon's dex entry is the cuter it should be imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

I love Nobunata's concept. It's a pińata pokemon with Aftermath as its ability. It explodes into candy when it faints :stonklol:

I was sold on the pun alone. This is exceptional.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know the thing that I like most about these Sage designs is that they're all puns. Does Uranium even have puns?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah kinda, tho team skull literally took over a town and that's a bit more then just being some delinquents imo

I thought Po Town was already basically abandoned or something.

They still kidnap pokemon from small children though, which ain't great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like those names a lot. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

And of course, completely missing that what made Giovanni cool was his restraint.

The best pokemon villains are crazy people like Ghetsis and Lusamine though.

Raserys posted:

The best friend rivals are actually Cheren and Bianca, like many things in Black and White

All friend rivals are good and cool. Except maybe Hugh. Barry, Cheren, Bianca, and Hau are top tier rivals

Edit: I don't count the gen III rival as a friend, because they are the worst rival.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

It's especially problematic in Shauna's case, because she's supposed to be directly pursuing Mega Evolution and she pretty much... doesn't, complete with never gaining a Mega Stone (unlike your rival, who has a Mega Absol in the postgame).

I thought Shauna's deal was that she didn't have a big goal like everyone else. She just wanted to travel around with her pals and take some cool photos.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like people say "this time you're the rival" every new pokemon game these days.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bogart posted:

I remember liking the Diamond/Pearl dynamic because they were just two comedian fuckups, Male Protag and Barry, who were trying to make it big but Platinum, Lady Protag, thought they were her bodyguards and they were just like okay :downs:

It's the best arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

i need to at some point play literally any pokemon game past black

hell i need to finish black 2

Sun and Moon are the best games and you should play them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

Play them all in release order since there's actually a story arc begun in XY that culminates in SuMo's Mega Beasts.

Really? Which one, cause I don't remember any.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

The thing where the doomsday device used in the backstory of X/Y split Pokemon into multiple timelines, leading to Delta Episode and setting the stage for the Ultra Beasts.

I don't remember that happening in the slightest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

Crossposting

I think the Ned Kelly pokemon is my main.

My God. It's beautiful

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

to be fair pretty much every region has some weirdness like that, except the first two

Hoenn has a big desert even though Kyushu isn't even the place where they made an artificial desert. Sinnoh's north half is snow-bound wasteland even though Hokkaido isn't that frosty (not to mention the postgame's supposed to be Sakhalin even though in-game it's a volcanically active rugged tropical area), Unova has a sprawling desert in what's supposed to be central Manhattan, and northeastern Kalos is the same deal as north Sinnoh. I dunno about Alola, haven't played it or anything but surely it's not all tropical paradise like actual Hawaii

You should play gen vii because it's the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Pedantic arguments about pokedex entries are powerless in Uranium!

S51-A is still such a bad name. I'd forgotten.

Good dex entry though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

Isn't canon Pokehell the Distortion World?

Nah, it's just the anti-matter dimension.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doseku posted:

I'm really hoping that Curie will turn out to be the player characters mother. It would be up this game's alley in edgelordness.

If true then I can't believe Sun and Moon stole Evil Villain Mom from this game. Proof that Uranium is truly the superior product.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Another lesson they need is 'more is not always better'. If they'd cut out about half the fanmons and focused their efforts on making the remaining ones semi-decent, this would have been a better fangame. Same goes with the 5000 things they're trying to do with the meltdown plot - pick 2 or 3 things to focus on, and axe the rest.

Ex: Make meltdown #1 a mystery. Introduce Curie and Title Screen Mon during meltdown #2. Give them actual motivations other than :moreevil:. Axe the bullshit with Theo's dad getting hurt only not, the MC's father going missing(at least I think he did? I can't keep track of what's going on anymore), that weird sideplot area that was 100% optional, etc.

Honestly I feel like the pokemon designs are like the least bad thing about Uranium. Sure a lot are bad but most don't come close to the garbage and bad design that exists in the rest of the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I wonder if this new missive from them has anything to do with Nintendo announcing Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon this past Tuesday.

Yes, that's seriously the names. Apparently they'll have a new story, ala B/W2

The trailer said alternate story so i'm guessing it's more like an Emerald/Platinum situation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

APOCALYPSE Curie. I take everything back, this game owns. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

It's cool that Theo can survive in this place without a power suit. Remind me again why shoving him into a nuclear reactor is a good thing for Curie?

They just like torture.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I do think there was an intention to use the Flying-type golfer in S/M more, but there was no more room or something which is why the Flying Z stone is just in a cave

Even without any buildup I still like Kahili quite a bit, because in any other Elite 4 team she'd basically be the best member based on animations and poses alone.

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a ton of characters, plot threads, and so on that are just kind of there on the periphery in Gen VII, and it might be that the writers' reach exceeded their grasp in terms of how long a dev cycle they had, but more likely, they were doing deliberate setup for Ultra Sun/Moon, which looks to be taking an approach similar to Black/White 2, except, I would think they're actually planning something even more ambitious in terms of continuity (a lot of stuff was clearly "under construction" in-universe, several areas are ripe for makeovers, and there were characters whose arcs didn't fully resolve, all of which appear primed for a sequel).

From the pre-release info it kinda came off to me that US/UM aren't exactly sequels but an alternate plot to SM. They're probably going to add in all the stuff that were "in-construction" and expand on a few characters but I don't know if it'll have as many major differences as BW2 had, like new gyms, towns, characters, and such. Even if the story as a whole will likely be completely different.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I''m disappointed. The first thing I heard about Uranium probably back around when the game was first released was that the legendary pokemon was actually your dead mum who had died in a nuclear explosion. So since Curie and Urayne showed up i've been eagerly waiting for an astonishingly stupid and incredibly bad out of nowhere twist that no actually the evil mastermind is not the Mum, the evil pokemon is instead! But either I remembered wrong or the spoilers were mistaken. and while the actual writing is still awful and bad it just doesn't measure to what I thought it'd be. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

you know if you're going with this why not just have everyone know the antagonist is your mom from the start

like that'd create some interesting tension, maybe. or you could have the reveal be halfway through the game, like darth vader. so the buildup to the final confrontation is - okay yeah its uranium

You mean like in Sun and Moon (granted that wasn't the protag's mom)?

Wonder how the Uranium dev feels about how the newest Pokemon game also did a crazy villain mom, just far better and much more enjoyable.

• Locked thread