Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey man what’s wrong with Alabama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My doctoral thesis: Swamp rear end, measurement and prevention thereof

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It took some doing but I got it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice get! That is really clean

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Even if you use an endless chain, you cut the old one off with an angle grinder and install the new one with a master link tool. Taking the swing arm off is like a worst case scenario.

Both the angle grinder and the master link tool can be had for cheap at harbor freight and if chain changes are the only time you use the angle grinder it will last forever.

So there is that option, and also, yes you can just run a master link after you take a hacksaw to your old chain if that’s more your speed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I forgot those exist because I never buy them.

Don’t buy those unless tire ready to take your swingarm off

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The DRZ400 will hit 100mph/160kmh if you have some patience. If your DR won’t do 135kmh I’d suspect something is up maybe with the fueling?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Many manufacturers use the same wiring harness throughout the world, so accessories like carb heaters that aren’t required in the US will still have leads on the harness on US bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I can literally count the number of times I ever stalled my bike on one hand, and yet somehow I did a shameful stall in traffic while waiting for a green light on an uphill incline. Didn't balance brake throttle and clutch, had a brain fart and chonk'd it.

I've been having a real bad time of it lately. I've been so busy at work that I'm just exhausted by the end of the day and I'm usually too zoned out to go riding, and when I do I tend to favour bland city streets where I'm not really practicing anything of value other than going in a straight line. When I do get out to do anything technical or try to practice my turns I'm really timid and gunshy and just feel like dogshit. My head's just not in the game right now, hopefully it's just a funk that I can get past because it's feeling like a chore rather than a fun pasttime. Thanks for reading my livejournal.

Yeah I think everyone goes through a stage where they enjoy riding, but really don’t want to go for a ride. It happens to all of us eventually.

Honestly, and I get that this isn’t an option for everyone, the thing that fixed it for me was realizing that I didn’t always feel like taking my SV or DRZSM or whatever to work or the grocery store because the ride was boring and it felt like a waste. I just needed a bike that excelled in those areas. The Elite 250 and now my Goldwing have solved those problems. They are both bikes whose primary selling point is going extremely smoothly in extremely straight lines forever and now I don’t feel like I’m wasting time or the bikes capability by doing it.

When I commuted 45 minutes through mega twisty country roads, you couldn’t pay me to take anything but the DRZ or, later the SV.

Now that I commute 35 minutes on two extremely straight pieces of freeway, the SV just became a chore and I didn’t really want to ride to work. Then I got the Goldwing and the Goldwing is all I want to take now.

Different bikes for different jobs. Not saying that’s a silver bullet but sometimes the thought of doing something on a bike that the particular bike isn’t good at or fun for is enough to make people just not want to ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

You first bike it like your first gently caress, there is basically no bike that a new rider won't fall in love with. It's amazing, it feels good. Then after you get experience you figure out what your fetishes are. I enjoy sports bikes and have for a while now but I'm really itching to get a bike I can put in a straight line and ride for a few hours without feeling fatigue. I test drove a few Harleys and I'm in love with everything except for the price tags which are just so dang high.

Im gonna post this every time someone gets too horney about motorcycles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

250 parallel twins are fun as hell. It's like being with a really short girl, yeah you look a little awkward in public, ignorant people might make a comment now and then, but when you're riding her it's the best feeling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah srad gixxer with race plastics

I think maybe my favorite horny man Travis factoid is that he was so horny he only made it 26 minutes after registering before he posted his magnum opus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horny man Travis is an idealist who imagines a world where guys who ride “hogs” and call bikes “hogs” are in the same gang with people who ride GSXRs and the main fear involved in all of that is they might all want to gently caress and cum in the same motorcycle seat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me waiting for Suzuki to update the GSXR 750

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

I hope you guys are right that I'm about to have so much fun...

Just got the title for 2019 Honda CB300R w/ 4400 miles on the clock and a bunch of gear. I pick it up in 13 hours and 33 minutes, but who's counting.

That rules. Thread title is accurate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Helmets are like underwear. You don’t buy them used, you don’t borrow them unless something really lovely has happened and when you think it’s time for a new one, it is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The speed of freeways freaks people out but it’s the surface streets that’ll get you

On the highway everyone is going the same speed, the same direction, there is no cross traffic, no pedestrians, no intersections, no red lights, stop signs, or on coming traffic, little in the way of anything to mess you up.

Yeah it’s fast, but that doesn’t make it inherently dangerous.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the topic of highway chat of course after all my talking about how safe it is, I had to emergency brake on the freeway this morning :cripes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I recommend every new rider go through the Jim Silly Balls method of bike training.

When I was 7 my uncle dropped off a 50cc mini bike that he scavenged from a cabin in the UP that he was helping to clear out after the owner died I guess? :iiam:

Anyway, my parents didn’t think I was old enough to ride it at the time and told me it didn’t run and my dad would need to rebuild it (in reality it probably needed a carb cleaning and that was it), so I believed them because I was 7 years old

But I was so excited to ride that for two entire years I pushed that bike up the hill that our street was on and coasted it down and did it again. And again. And again. And again. I’d take it over the grass and off curbs and use the momentum to get back up our driveway and basically do everything I could do with the momentum I had.

By the time I was 9 I had completely mastered riding the bike with no power and one day my dad miraculously “got it running” and the rest is history.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to have an office with no windows and a lock on the door. It was a nightmare from a mental health standpoint but it was great for changing in my office!!

Now I have an office with a window and no lock so I change in the bathroom.

It gets easier once you have a system down. I generally commute on the Goldwing so I bring a bag with clothes in the saddlebag, shoes, hair schmutz, all the stuff I need and just walk in with that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

One of the CB500's did it. It was fun.

My SV650s is carb'd but doesn't do it at all. It has some kind of coasting system built in. It does give a seriously loud bang if i ride normally, hit the killswitch and immediately switch it on again. Sheesh.

That’s called a coast enrichener. It specifically exists to pump more gas in while you are coasting in gear with the throttle closed so it doesn’t make afterfire noises.

Coast enricheners infuriate me because they specifically exist to stop people coming back to dealerships complaining something is wrong with the bike. They serve no useful functional purpose, they waste gas and they make carburetor setups more complicated by adding additional stuff.

I disable every coast enrichener I come across.

My Elite 250 had one and the little burble that came out of the exhaust while coasting was awesome and I’m mad that Honda assumed we wouldn’t want to hear the pops :catstare:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mewse posted:

I dislike zip ties because one cut through the block heater cord on my car after the dealership zip tied the plug to the grille. Consider velcro or some kinda strain relief where the cable is going to be moving around.

That situation calls for a zip tie, except more loosely installed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FTP

Filter The Police

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s really personal preference. I’m in IT (lol what goon isn’t) and I am connected 24x7 either to friends or work or family and it gets exhausting.

I do not answer calls or texts on the bike (I’ll look at my watch to see if it’s my wife, but that’s it) and it is a sanctuary of non-connectedness for me

But that’s just me and my life situation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Counterpoint: do buy the aftermarket folding shift lever because if you drop it 30 miles from home it’s gonna be a pain to fix

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really wish someone would port twist of the wrist 2 to pc. Sucks that it’s stuck on the Sega saturn

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider is that way

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The lack of a 6 speed really doesn’t matter much on the drz. It’s torquey and tractory and doesn’t really need closer ratios.

Would it be nice? Sure. Required? No

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arkhamina posted:

dirt bike kids that could ride like they'd been on them since elementary school (and in Wisconsin, this is possible).

*raises hand*

Lol you’re describing me to a T

Me, a wisconsin elementary school dirtbike kid

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t imagine learning to ride on a 500lb bicycle, and a motorcycle would be much the same?

It’s hard to say because I didn’t go through it, but I feel like that’s what it’d be like

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In general when you’re headed into a corner, you want to be setting up for the corner by braking and selecting the proper gear simultaneously, which involves rev matching to not upset the bike too much.

Once you’re set up from that regard, it’s maintenance throttle only throughout the corner until it’s time to accelerate out.

It’s not the worst thing to make mid-corner adjustments with a touch of brake or throttle, but shifting whole gears is more than a little adjustment.

If you find yourself needing to shift or significantly brake while in a corner, it’s generally the setup portion that needs to be adjusted and you’ve come in too hot or braked too much up front.

It’s equal parts technique, muscle memory, rhythm and experience

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a one-time CL450 owner, you have chosen wisely.

Gorgeous bike, friend

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

:mods: new thread title when?

FINE. But I'm only doing it because of the incredible unity created by you two agreeing on something

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real, riding dirt teaches you a ton about the dynamics of motorcycles and how the answer is often “let the bike do its thing”

You won’t regret it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

welp I did it, I bought me a drz after watching the last one I looked at get snapped up and the pnw market for them just being empty as gently caress

it's an absolute blast and I love it. I wanna sign up for some dirt classes and a refresher msf (I still have my endorsement, it's just been a while and I'm not what I would call experienced) just so I make sure I'm doin things right. now I just gotta find me a workspace because owning a bike while living in an apt sucks

This is awesome and I love that color scheme! Those wheels :swoon:

Great bikes, I’ve owned two of them and a third is not out of the question. You won’t be disappointed!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

I came in here asking about an antique a few months back and was told to quit bein stupid, buy a bike that works. I got a few suggestions and I had it narrowed down to a rebel 500 and this, finally decided on this because of where I am and I am supremely happy with it. I haven't done any trails/fire roads or anything of the sort yet but I'm really looking forward to finding some folks to trail ride with and get out there

The Honda rebel series are really good bikes

That DRZ is better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

:krad: Supermotos rock and suzukis own and you are gonna love the freedom a sumo gives you. Try and find fire service roads near you so you can ride gravel through the woods all day.

Alternately, blast down every alley you can find.

Both are a lot of fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Also most of those guys have a no riding street bikes clauses in their contract I thought.

Most of them do, or should after what happened to Nicky Hayden on a bicycle of all things. Probably a little more lax with closed course racing though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real those of you who want to ride dirt but don’t have dirt, get a sumo.

You’ll be floored how much fun stuff there is to ride in even a small city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

But to get you and ticket you the police would also need to ride offroad. What are they gonna do, come out on horseback?

QUID PRO QUO*

*I have no idea what this means

CITIZENS ARREST!!!

You are also off-road, officer!!!!!!

*gets shot without question*