Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

spouse posted:

This thread is excellent. So I'm in the process of getting going with this whole thing, and I plan on buying my bike in June, due to saving money and not wanting to sidetrack my other financial goals.

I've bought my helmet, a Shoei RF1200 (which is the most exciting $500 mixed buyers remorse I've ever had on my head). Now I'm looking at the rest of the kit before I take my MSF. I figure I can get away with just buying the boots and gloves for now, but I'll be starting my riding in the summer... so, questions:

1. Is there a decently protective mesh or very breathable textile jacket recommended for tall people (6'4", 235lbs) that doesn't murder my budget? I figure I'll be buying leather as it gets cold, since I'm in NC and it snows like once a year for a day and a half and I'll just ride any day it's not freezing. I'm gonna put all the d3o/foam/whatever I can into it, so slots for that would be a plus.

2. Any recommendations for sport/touring boots for size 14 feet? I'm going full on spaceman, but i'm not fit enough for the fancy leather suits just yet.

3. I'm looking at the SV650 and the FZ-07 for the first bike. I'm buying new, I know I'll drop it, but it's my money and I've driven the same car for the last 11 years, I don't think i'll be upgrading any time soon, and those two bikes don't seem *too* fast. I know the SV is popular among larger new riders, but I haven't heard much about the FZ, though by the numbers it looks very similar. Thoughts?

#1, Jacket: I've owned 3 of these and crashed in one while just in the mesh, it held up well. It's not the most protective on the market but can get you through 3 seasons easily and if you bundle up correctly maybe 4 depending on your area. The outer shell it water proof and will stand up to most things except a torrential downpour. Then when it gets warm the entire outer shell zips off and you have a mesh jacket.: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/textile_jackets/joe_rocket/alter_ego_3_textile_jacket.html

#2, I commute in these, daily. They are decently warm and are waterproof. I wear them all day at work and can walk about in them for a reasonable amount of time (about 2 - 3 hours). Again not the most protective but a very good balance of protection, comfort, and waterproof: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tour_master/response_2_waterproof_road_boots.html

#3. Both bikes have about the same horsepower and torque numbers with the SV slightly more horsepower and the FZ slightly more torque. The SV is 430lbs claimed wet weight and the FZ is 397lbs. 3.8 gallons on the SV, 3.5 on the FZ. (slightly less for california models). With the specs that close and you have your heart set on buying new or close to new. Go to a dealer, sit on them, and stare at each for a while. See which one grows on you more.

Another option for gear is to go to motorcycle-superstore and browse through their 70% off and clearance section:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/search/go?N=19010000+519026+98014
50 - 60$ mesh jackets:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/70566/i/motocentric-squadron-jacket
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/70567/i/motocentric-assault-jacket
50$ boots:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/70572/i/motocentric-sector-shoes
16$ gloves:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/51232/i/speed-and-strength-run-with-the-bulls-gloves

Though on that stuff, finding something in your size can be hit or miss.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

whatever7 posted:

I got a bunch of newbie questions don't know where to start.

So here they are at random order.

* I got my bike license 10? years ago, it was so long ago I can't even find the record of it on my gmail. I never had a chance to ride anything again because I don't have cool friends. Do you think I should take the MSF again?

* The reason I want to get a bike now is that my commute looks like this in the morning. If you live in New York you know the traffic is terrible and there is no free parking. So what do you guys recommend as the good commuter bike? I am think going form CB300F to SV650 a few years down the road. I just like naked bikes. I have no idea what bikes are good for commuting.

* I don't mind getting a used Ninja even though I don't like its look. A quick google of "used Ninja 250 new york" shows me some listings that's not very cheap. What website should I use for real world beginner bike price beside buying one from a goon?

* decent beginner gear recommendations, preferably I can buy from Amazon.

Take the MSF again, if nothing else to get a feel for a bike and the controls again in a more or less safe and controlled environment. And if you drop the bike, it's not yours.

Naked bikes are decent for city commuting, though I will warn you that city riding is about the worst. From taxis and bicycle commuters attempting to take you out along with the rest of the regular public crammed together and everyone having a "gently caress you, got mine" attitude, it can just be hell. Keep your head on a swivel and I would almost tell you not to commute that route until you had complete no eyes control of your bike. Granted I rode in Chicago when I started to learn but I tried to take it easy and went down at night to get used to the cramped streets and really lovely sight lines of the side streets.

As you're leaning that way anyway I'd almost tell you to forgo any kind of type/brand loyalty and just find one that looks "ok" but is in decent shape mechanically. Anything to keep joe crackhead thinking it'd be great to steal, and will keep you from crying when a taxi of box truck knocks it over trying to park. I'm not sure about pricing in new york, but a decent bike I would look at in the 2K and up range. I'd say goon it up on a super moto but drat those are expensive in your area.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/6008262803.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/mcy/6008700646.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/6007425743.html (get it fully looked at before trusting it, it'll run forever with a little up keep)
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/6014680626.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/6011377836.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/6002353268.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/6017181713.html
I'd stay away from rebuilt cafe racers or vintage bikes. You want to be riding it, not constantly fixing it and worrying about parts availability.

For gear, take a look at the post I made for "Spouse". Add a decent set of riding overpants to that and your doing fine. The dirt cheap stuff at motorcycle supercenter is OK and will get you going but it's no frills, but sometimes dirt cheap closeouts have their place. As also suggested I would hit up other forums for used gear if you find something you like.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

whatever7 posted:

What do you guy think about the 2015 CB300F deals on cybertrader like this one?. Think I will get a lemon if I don't check it? How much can you haggle from the internet price?

How do you check market price for used bike? Is there a Truecar app for bikes?

I have a CRV, think I will stuff it inside the CRV and bring it back to new york?

Just some general questions, I am not ready to buy it.
The bike market is the wild west in terms of pricing. The guides are mere suggestions:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles
https://www.kbb.com/othervehicles/
Generally pick something you think you want to ride and go find the cheapest/most mechanically sound one you can find. 2016, looks clapped out and has a whole boatload of "go fast" parts on it and almost no miles, look at it but be wary. The same model 2013 bone stock and just a few scuffs here and there, receipts for the work done such as oil changes and tires, but has some miles, definite consideration.

I'm not sure you can fit the bike into your CRV standing mostly up. You can't just lay a bike on it's side, fluids will leak all over, and not just the gasoline. If you have a hitch receiver, you can get a motorcycle specific trailer from U-haul for 25$ for the day or a 4"x7" open utility trailer for 15$ (in Texas at least).

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Gorson posted:

As for the CBR300 the major issue with them is they are under a :siren:crankshaft recall.:siren: Personally for the 300cc starter bikes I would choose the Yamaha R3 or Ninja 300. The R3 is available with ABS in 2017 and the Ninja has had it for a couple years now.

*COUGH* KTM Duke 390*COUGH*
If you can find one, and if someone isn't asking a premium price for it when you do find it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Pooper Trooper posted:

How about the 2017 Suzuki Van Van? I love its styling and it seems like a fun little bike to start with at 200cc and relatively low pricetag (around $4500 I think?)

Ever think about the TW200 from Yamaha?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Pooper Trooper posted:

I have to say I really like the direction they're taking. And the TW is gorgeous :swoon:

The TW200 is a staple for the MSF courses, it's pretty neutral handling wise but can feel "odd" if you aren't used to the big chunky knobbies. Slow speed work, or on/off throttle work is great, though it would not be my choice if you are going on any road that's over 50MPH for any length of time. On the throttle long enough and it'll touch 70 OK, but you can tell it's not happy about the experience.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
For the non-garage goons think about purchasing a new cylinder and key for the bike ad leaving it somewhere you remember. I gave a cousin of mine a 1982 GS450e, a bike that's in no way desirable, not even for parts. I bought the thing for 600$. She lives in an apartment and someone tried stealing it it the first two weeks she had it. Because she lives in n apartment I knew it was going to be messed with. I wanted multiple defenses for it.

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/locks/cable_locks/14m_x_25mm_barrier_blue/

They got the above off. They tried to drill out the lock and that didn't work, so they cut it with bolt cutters. It's a cable not a chain inside a steel sheath. They destroyed the sheath, but couldn't cut through the cable in one go. You can see on the cable how they used the bolt cutters to nibble through it.

They drilled out and took off the ignition cylinder, and attempted to roll it away.

That's when they found out I had another lock on the bike. The disk brakes were too old for the new style disk locks so I simply put a big gently caress off pad lock on it:
http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/locks/disc_locks_and_padlocks/hd_mini_shackle_lock/

They tried to drill it out, that didn't work, and they tried the bolt cutters on it, that didn't work, so they ended up leaving it. They buggered up the lock attempting to drill it out, about 10 minutes with an angle grinder and a diamond cut off wheel got it with a ton of noise.

I happened to have a spare ignition lock/cylinder laying about and it took about 15 minutes getting the new one in.

TL:DR, defense in depth, have a spare ignition lock and keys for it handy just in case.

Though the ending of the story isn't happy, she moved to a new apartment and the bike got stolen, picked up and carried off. She didn't have a permanent structure to secure it to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Garrand posted:

So I have an odd situation.

I currently don't have a car (I ride my bicycle anyplace I need to go) but due to a convoluted set of circumstances I can get my hands on a motorcycle for basically free. The problem is that I've never ridden one in my life and the closest MSF classes are over an hour away by (non-existent) car so I'd have to go the permit -> practice -> license at the local BMV route instead.

The motorcycle is a Suzuki Boulevard C50, which seems like a pretty powerful and kind of intimidating bike, and I was wondering if there are any self-taught goons who had any advice for me.

I know it's kind of a vague question but I do appreciate any thoughts on this.

It'll add to the cost, but could you "uber" or "lyft" for the two days the course happens?
Do you have a Harley dealer close by? Most Harley dealers run a riding class also that their instructors are certified by the MSF. You'll have to sit through a bunch of sales pitches but if it works better, so be it.
If you decide to go the self taught route there are a boatload of MSF class videos online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results
If you do go the self taught route, go slow and practice a lot.

I would not recommend a C50 to practice on especially if you're doing it completely on your own. The drat thing weighs 540 pounds and the second time you lay it over, you'll be sick of trying to pick it up. If you can borow something lighter for a bit, that would be the way to go.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Dick Burglar posted:

The bike I used in my MSF basically needed the brake lever compressed completely to apply the brake. I was the dumbass who hosed up and dumped a bike because of it. I was covering the brake and clutch with my index and middle fingers and for some dumbass reason cranked the throttle when I hosed up an upshift. I tried to panic-brake but my ring and pinky fingers blocked complete travel of the handles and the bike kept going. At least I ended up dumping it in the grass! :v:

To be fair, those bikes are likely abused to poo poo so I imagine it's not a problem with a bike that isn't being beat up by newbie riders its entire life.

And you learned to brake/clutch with all four fingers.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

theKGEntleman posted:

While on the subject of new tires, I'll be dropping off my 95' EX500 Ninja tonight to get them replaced over the next few days. What are some good tires that don't break the bank? I've looked at the ones below.

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR Front & Rear
Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 Front & Rear

The Metzler M7 tires are what comes on the KTM Duke 390 (or are the replacement.) I've been riding on a rear for a while doing commuting and in-town riding. They've held up fine in the wet weather but as I am in Dallas I cannot tell you hown they'll react in the wet.

Someone suggested the Pirelli sport demons. Those are great soft tires and I ran them for years on some older '80s era bikes I had. They are very sticky and give a ton of confidence. The only issue I had with the sport demons is that they didn't last very long. At 7K miles they were completely shagged out. I used to run Bridgestone BT-45s, as touring tires they were fine, did well in the rain and I generally got about 9K miles out of them. Though if you are in a place that gets cold and you ride in the cold, when the temps drop below about 35F, they turn into comb rubber and will start sliding around on you.

For chain and sprockets, I've always gone with the cheapest D.I.D. o-ring chain and either JT or Sunstar sprockets. I got 15K - 20K miles out of them and didn't nearly adjust, clean or oil it as much as I should have.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Capn Jobe posted:

These are great suggestions for portable units, but I'm looking for something to plug into a wall outlet (I have an outdoor outlet right next to where I keep the bike). The linked pancake compressor or some variant sounds like a good idea, but ideally I'd like something a bit less expensive/bulky.

I picked up one of these a week ago.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-G...ASABEgKZbvD_BwE

small enough to stow in the back seat of my truck and good enough for really short bursts of work, along with it'll fill/inflate anything I have in short order.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
It's actually not that bad. Though a 650, it's a parallel twin, more than enough power to get you there at decent speed, but the power delivery is very linear and not nearly as peaky as an i-4. Also being 70 pounds heavier than the Ninja, and they have a "cruiser" fueling map on it helps.

Final verdict from me would be, just a bit more power than you need at this point, but you can certainly "grow into it" without feeling like you're missing out either. If you can, check out the used one, no one wants to drop a new bike, and as a new rider that's a more likely possibility.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm planning to be zipping around for all day park trips and so on. How are tank bags for frequently accessed stuff? Horribly dorky? Useful? I could see them going either way.

They are useful if you don't want things in you pockets all day. I used mine like a glove box/center console. Extra house keys, phone, wallet, some spare tools, and a small first aid kit went into mine. The top also had a clear cover on it so I could stuff a map in there and navigate before we all went to phones with turn by turn instructions. Just make sure that whatever you get works for your bike. Some tank bags are wider than others and won't let you go full lock. I had a metal gas tank and liked the magnet bags with a single loop around the headstock better than the strapped on ones. It was easier to get on and off and some of the strap models get in the way of the gas filler. Though if you have a plastic tank, you'll either need a strap mounted one, or one of the ones that has a gas cap adapter kit.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Cool, I'm in the Geneva IL area. We could meet up and be bad at motorcycles together :v:

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yeah I just realized I said NE when clearly it's NW. It's been a long day here.

There are tons of fun roads in rural Wisconsin if you're not adverse to traveling a bit to get there. Nerobro a number of others, and myself used to do 1 - 2 day loops out highway 20 to Dubuque Iowa, then follow the great river road north to Marquette Iowa, cross over to Prairie Du Chien, then play alphabet soup with the county roads. If you get out that way here's a really nice ride:

Go up the great river road(Iowa side) until Marquette, cross the mississippi into Prairie Du Chien.
From Prairie Du Chien go south on 18, go east on county C, South on 133, East on 18, south on county J, south east on county A, 35 west to 81, south on 133, then some of us would split off and take 61, to county b, and look for interesting routes, others would split off and either ride home or back into Dubuque (sometimes Fennimore Wisconsin), and set up for day two.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

IuniusBrutus posted:

How "mental" is freeway riding, in terms of confidence and comfort? I've been riding for a couple years now, but I have never done much freeway commuting at all, largely due to the perception of being very unstable, exposed, and getting blown about while on the freeway at 70-75 mph. I got a bit bigger bike (300 ----> 500cc), and that didn't do anything besides make me feel better about merging. I put ear plugs in which helped quite a bit, but I still can't shake the feeling that the bike is starting to wobble or that I'm going to get blown into the next lane of traffic or something.

Is this something that I just need to get lots of practice with and I'll begin to stop feeling that way? Or does it always feel so exposed and I just have to either get over it or stick to surface roads?

Highway riding is a little safer just due to the fact everyone should be going the same direction. There are less fears of people/kids/pets suddenly darting into the road, less left hand turners, side streets intersections and all the rest that comes with being on a surface street. You still have people attempting to merge into you, or run up on you from behind. Keep an eye on the traffic ahead and be mindful of your mirrors, don't stay next to a car for too long and try to keep away from tractor trailers as much as you can.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm about 45 min north of Chicago. Hopefully it stays nice this weekend so I can go on a ride.

If you can get west and find some roads out in the hinterlands of Wisconsin. The 400 might not be a mile muncher but if you can get used to staying in the saddle for as long as you can, the closer to the Mississippi river you get, the better roads you'll find. If you can get used to doing day rides get out towards Governor Dodge State Park and the House on the Rock. There are some nice mild yet still curvy roads out there.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Teknic made good poo poo. I have a touring jacket of theirs that bought in 2005 and I finally had to retire last year.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

pun pundit posted:

D3O is apparently good for about 5 years, so if your jacket has got that, try to find out when it was manufactured.

Teknic went out of business before D3O.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
On the outside I don't see anything crazy. I would check around the heads more and see if they are leaking oil, I'm not sure if it's a specific pain point for those bikes, I'd also look closer at the forks and make sure they aren't leaking. If you do take it for a test ride, see if it was washed or sprayed down just before you got there, it's generally a sign that the fluids that are supposed to be inside, are getting out. When/if you take for the test ride, get it out there and get it good and hot, nothing like someone cleaning it and sticking higher viscosity oil in it for a short test drive, only to have things leaking everywhere the first time you get it up to temp.

It looks like there's the original parts too, if the price wasn't too bad and you're willing to spend the time on it I'd tell you to go for it. Though there are other folks here way more familiar with older BMWs than myself that might have a better idea.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3 jacket, full mesh chassis with codura back and arms, decent protection on the elbows shoulders and back, and comes with a water proof outer shell. I've crashed in one and it held up well, no split seams or anything and only wore through to the padding on the shoulder and elbow when I impacted and slid across the ground.

http://www.joerocket.com/textile-jackets/alter-ego-30

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How often are you guys planning on crashing?

I plan on having a crash every time I get on the bike, that's why I wear my gear. I ride a lot, practice my skills and take/re-take a riding class every 3 - 4 years to keep my skills up so I have the skill sets to actually avoid and not get into crashes.

Plan for the worst, train to make the best outcome you can.

(I also have a tailpack on the bike at all times with a few extra tools beyond the one that comes on the bike, 2 clip type master links, a 2 person first aid kit and a tire repair kit with CO2.)

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2019

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

They're not $300 Dainese or RevIt, but for a new biker who doesn't have pants and just dropped big money on a bike and helmet, they're decent and certainly better than going without.

Plus they don't scream 'armour' when you go into a coffee shop like the hipster cafe racer we all have inside of us.

yeah, that's gonna be a big Oof from me. I use Discord for other groups, so I was hoping not to install a new client.

Own a belt? I have two pairs of "cargo" pants for the cost of shipping ($30) in the for sale section.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=80#post495406190

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

So just coming back round to this, what do you mean poo poo? poo poo like poo poo to work on, or poo poo like "sometimes won't start" or poo poo like this poo poo is dangerous? Because round here they come up real loving cheap.

Also booked my pre-learner course for later this month so yeah this poo poo is happening one way or another.

They are an utter pain to work on and maintain if things start going wrong. They are the worst when it comes to handling. The two I rode exhibited the same behavior of being really lazy to lean and turn in until suddenly it wasn't. I thought it had squared off tires. The bike geometry is crap with regards to the drive line and is the only bike I've ever experienced "shaft jacking" on. When you let off and get back on the throttle it's a toss up of whether all of the drive components are where they need to be, and the whole bike feels like it's humping up and down. This is exacerbated by worn out components, and cheap Viragos are worn out Viragos.

If you like the cruiser styling and want to stick with Yamaha, get a V-Star 650.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Rolo posted:

I think I want to learn about track stuff?

Yes, yes you do.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Elviscat posted:

My new GT air doesn't have the visor-lock/crack lever that my old RF-1200 did, and it makes me really sad, because the smallest amount I can open it blows air at a less comfortable speed/angle into my eyes than just having it fully open.

Put your visor down at speed though, you're gonna take a bee/rock to the eyeball some day.

A small piece if door edge guards on the bottom of the visor was the old school method of having it open just a bit.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

help I haven't been on my motorcycle in 24 hours I think I'm in withdrawal

Your back on a bike and the weather is going to be absolute crap, though the weekend should be clearish, maybe.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Really good carb advice

Holy poo poo I understood what was being said... Though one caveat I need to throw in. Depending on where the bike was destined to live there might be a small plug of solder over the pilot screw. For some reason during the beginning of the smog era some bikes had this done to them so you couldn't make changes. I had to drill out a few of them when I was rebuilding a few early 80's Suzuki GS bikes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Did someone say helmet stickers?

for all:
https://imgur.com/a/rXkWhUH

Preview:
The teeth are hand cut out and fitted and are of 3M reflective material:

Anyone remember Becktastic and her zebra DR? This was one of the gifts for sponsoring her ride from the artic to tierra del fuego:

Here's the ATGATT sticker:

While wearing the blue helmet I got into a pretty bad wreck, as a joke the folks I rode with gave me a "mario" 1-up mushroom every time I replaced my helmet when I lived near them.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2020

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
One of the folks I rode with had "Hello There!" in reflective tape, the tape was black but reflected as white. On his black helmet, you could barely see it in the daytime but at night from behind it was pretty entertaining. One of the other folks had a giant "Cheshire cat" type grin across the back in reflective material, another dark-colored helmet so at night depending on how the light caught it, there'd be this floating grin going down the road.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
In both Texas and Iowa there were "submerged bridges" that were always covered in algae. Stay off the brakes... drag your feet if you need to, steady as you go, constant even steady power. I've actually had Kuffs' brother drop his FZ6 on one of these in front of me and just "flintstone braked" and hald the clutch in. That was safer that getting on the brakes at either end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Martytoof posted:

New rider shower thought: I really want to take a cruiser out on a demo day ride. I only sat on one in my MSF-type course and wonder how different the ride experience is.

The basic operation is the same, but you'll get caught out if you're in a hurry. Like your feet will automatically go into the position they are used to, and the controls with be 6 inches or so out front.