Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Intruder posted:

$500K get the gently caress out of here

let's see, the Jersey the best QB of all time wore when he led his team on a historic comeback in the Super Bowl at age 39 after being the victim of NFL injustice, which also featured the first Super Bowl OT ever?

I don't think that $500k is overstating it. Hell, Brady or Kraft might be willing to pay 500k for it under the right circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Athanatos posted:

They will overpay for Jimmy G wont they...

How good does Jimmy G really have to be to be worth a 1 and a 4 with one cheap year still left on his contract?

I guess better than Trevor Siemian would be good enough.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Rahzmataz posted:

Can we have some predictions for the starting QB for each team for the next season? It seems like it's still kind of all over the shop right now.

New England Patriots: Tom Brady

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/836947754626781184

does michael lombardi always have the wrong take on everything

Michael Lombardi is Belichick's Bagdad Bob, which can be guessed by the fact that he has a Patriots Super Bowl ring as his twitter avatar.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kalli posted:

A stronger union would heavily lean on players to not take these deals. the NFLPA is not a strong union.

Beats the 80's when the NFL paid off the top QB's to union bust.

Why not? Their power base, the average NFL player, profits from the top talent taking less money, because it means the broader middle gets more. In the end the amount of money that all players collectively get is fixed anyway.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Kaep already announced he is going to stand for the anthem next season - I guess Donald Trump is the change he can believe in.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Danny Woodhead? For the vet minimum I hope. Also this may be our first Belichick era ex-patriot on the Ravens. I don't like it.

Kyle Arrington would like to have a word with you.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I have full faith in the ability of Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams to outwit the alcoholics and assorted other idiots that run other franchises, given that they both have a strong economics background, with Ernie even working as a trader on Wallstreet for some time, so if they decide that getting Gilmore is worth $14 million, he is. How does that relate to Butler? I have no clue - they might still try to work something out with him or decide that he has hit a ceiling and paying him market rate would be grossly overpaying him.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it could happen TODAY. Reports are that the Pats moved on Gillmore very quickly today, so much that Gilmore didn't even know the Pats were in on him. Which means maybe the Pats found out something about Butler.

This could be such a Belichick move. Say Butler gets offer sheeted. You move on from Butler to Gilmore which is a minor downgrade at worst. And you get a first round pick to do it.

I think it's rather unlikely that Butler get's an offer sheet, given that this years CB class is supposedly rather strong and giving up a first round pick + paying him something approaching market rate would be to much. There is also the question how good Butler is in a different environment, given his rather unique history and qualities (very good work ethic, film study etc.).

Ehud posted:

I have a theory that says they spend aggressively towards in the next couple of years to win another SB or two while they still have a QB who is willing to play for peanuts and get paid under the table in other ways.

I doubt that they will mortgage the future. We had $60mil in cap space that needs to be spend somewhere.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Ehud posted:

One name that keeps coming up for Miami to sign as a guard is Mangold.

AFC East-cest at it's best.

The only question left is who the Bills will sign, if we assume that Hoyer really goes to the Jets.

Kalli posted:

Hah, oh wait, the Patriots are signing Gilmore for that much? Man, Butler should hold out of training camp if he doesn't get traded / an extension

Do you know how much the Patriots offered Butler?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

fsif posted:

My team has a need for both a CB and a WR and I think I'd rather have Butler than Cooks.

You also have Sammy Watkins so, uhm, that one need might not be as big as the other?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

MrLogan posted:

Malcolm Butler is a below average corner. I don't know why people keep saying he is good.

Because he is coached by the best coach that ever coached any professional sport and is very coachable.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

How much money do they have left to sign Hightower with now?

They have $50 mil in cap space - Gilmore (~$10-11 mil in the first year if the APY is 14) + Amendola restructure (4-5mil)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Intruder posted:

Cowboys need to hurry up and cut Romo so my dreams can be dashed immediately instead of having to wait it out

They can't cut him before the free agency starts because if they want to designate him a post june 1st cut (which they definitely want to do)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

fsif posted:

New Bills fan spin: gently caress Gilmore, he's a low character quitter that always loved the Pats anyway.

https://gfycat.com/DeterminedFlakyGalapagosdove

That looks more like 36 blew his assignment

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Supposedly the Patriots haven't even talked to Butler's reps in a long time.

Think he's gonna get moved one way or the other and get a long term deal. Get paid buddy!

They have basically all off-season to talk to them about getting a long-term deal. In addition to that, if he signed an offer-sheet with anyone, that would be a great option too, given that they would get a guaranteed first round pick if they don't match the offer. Basically there is no upside for them to talk about a deal with Butler right now, unless you expect him to take less now than he would in June, which seems unrealistic at best.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Do you think Butler wants more money than Gillmore? I mean, I would rather they kept the homegrown Super Bowl hero than sign someone from a divisional rival.

Maybe Belichick thinks Gilmore has a higher ceiling in the right system than Butler and therefore is worth more? The idea that Bill would pay for the "Super Bowl hero" status is absurd given his history.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

I still don't quite understand shelling out that cash for Gilmore, unless they planned on keeping Butler or thought that he would ask for even more.

Also, goddamnit Bill there are plenty of cheats for infinite money. Use one of them.

Maybe you don't know as much about CB as Bill Belichick does, who let Revis and Browner walk in the exact right moment, got Butler for basically nothing and got Logan Ryan to the point that the Titans are paying him 10m py. Not to mention that he unfucked Talib and made him into a top CB.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Butler has nothing to complain, he is going to get a big deal after his 4th season no matter what happens, just like a player who was drafted outside the first round would get. If they signed him to a long term deal right now it would be of course be significantly below market rate for an URFA, because it not only gives him security but he also obligated to play for 3.5m this year.

But, as I said before, it makes no sense for them to sign him to a long-term deal right now, because it would reduce their options (trading would be difficult because of the signing bonus) while not giving them a clear advantage.

I don't get why people think they could be smarter than Bill Belichick.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Since the 2011 CBA have any restricted free agents actually been signed to another team and traded for the pick? I know immediately after for the next couple of years there was a lot of transparent collusion with low round tenders. I haven't paid as much attention the last couple of years so maybe that's changed.

Otherwise Butler's staying on the Patriots for another year. It might make sense to give up the pick but teams have mostly just used it as a way to avoid paying players for a little longer.

Hogan was signed by the Patriots from the Bills and Sanders got an offer sheet from the Patriots but the Steelers matched it - that's the one I know of the top of my head.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i love in all the talk about how the glennon deal is a savvy front-loaded contract that doesn't really hamstring them they forget about the fact that glennon completely sucks and will probably at most like 10% better than whatever vet min scrap heap guy they could pick up.

Draft like 3 QBs in the middle rounds and just let them battle it out over the season. Maybe you hit on something.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

If I had to stay in Cleveland I'd want stupid money too...not sure why you would chose Washington though. That situation is a whole other level of hosed

Also can someone explain why they didn't franchise tag him?

Because Cleveland is rebuilding, which means they would be stupid to give him a 15,6m one-year contract.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Butler reportedly wants Gilmore money, which the Patriots are not going to give him at this point because he is not an URFA and therefore will not get URFA money. It's also worth noting that his agent has no experience (Butler is his only NFL client) and got into being an agent because he watched Hard Knocks and thought he could do better.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Butler needs to get paid now, while there's still some positive hype around him.

The issue is that there is no scenario that get's him paid, unless he accepts that he is going to get at 10m less than Gilmore, and that's under the assumption that he can convince the Patriots that he is worth Gilmore money. Every other team has no incentive to sign him to an offer sheet even close to that, given that they would have to part with their first round pick for him - a pick that if we use the Osweiler trade as benchmark, is probably worth north of 20m.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Well a 2nd this year is better than waiting 2 years for a 3rd.

yeah but a top corner for <4m is nothing th sneeze at either.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

So 7m over 4y would be 28m, but we have to take into account that he was under contract for the 2016 season for <1m and RFA tendered for 4m for the 2017 season, which means the "new money" of the contract would be 23m over two years, which is not significantly lower than the Gilmore contract in terms of per year, while giving Butler safety from injury etc.

Expecting the Patriots to treat you like an URFA is just silly if you are already under contract.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

You have to give up your own first. I don't know what that would mean if you traded it for someone elses though. If the Browns wanted Butler on an offer sheet we have to give them 1-1.

But, once Butler signs his offer with the Pats, they can work out any kind of compensation they want for a trade. This is what will happen.

You have to give your own pick or an earlier pick if you no longer have your first round pick. But as you said, this counts only if they sign Butler to an offer sheet and not if they trade with the Patriots.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I mean, saints could trade their earlier first rounder for a good player and then use the Pats pick for Butler, as long as we're spitballing wild scenarios.

If they trade for Butler they can use either pick anyway, if they sign him to an offer sheet, they need to give the Patriots their own pick first round pick or a higher pick. If they can't do that, they can't sign Butler to an offer sheet.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There is no way on the face of the planet the Pats give up that backfield for a low second round pick.

My bet is that the Saints are going to give the Patriots their first back for Butler.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That doesn't make any sense, why didn't they just trade players to begin with?

Butler at that point had not signed his RFA tender and therefore was not a tradable commodity.

qkkl posted:

This is only if the Pats manage to sign Butler to a new deal right? If Butler signs his tender now the only way the Saints could get him is if they gave the Pats their highest 1st rounder? I don't see why the Pats would give up Butler for the 32nd pick when he only costs 3.91 million next year.

In this scenario Butler would sign his RFA tender, than get traded to the Saints, who than sign him to a long-term contract. The idea behind trading him would be that they can draft a very good corner at the end of the first round who they than will control for 5 years, building a long term backfield with Gilmore and this new player.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I wouldn't read too much into it either way. Blount is 600 years old so he's probably getting replaced by SOMEBODY soon, but I don't think Burkhead is a lock to take over Blount's role by any stretch.

Reminder: Brandon Bolden's contract ended too and is the RB most likely to be replaced first.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Kalli posted:

They spent a 3rd round pick on a QB in last year's draft afterall.

Belichick knew at that point that he would need a 3rd QB for at least 4 games because of the Brady suspension and the best brains in football (Bill and Ernie) certainly planned for the eventuality that they want to trade Jimmy G after the season and that 2017 was a weak QB class, so they drafted their next backup QB, who won them a game.

Spending 2 first round picks for Jimmy G is just smart, as he has the same number of Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning and twice as many as Aaron Rodgers.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

warcrimes posted:

They absolutely can and will go into the season with Brock/Kessler. They have 11 draft picks this year AND next year. Multiple first, seconds and thirds. There's no reason to spend that equity on an unproven QB, your argument doesn't make sense with what they've been actually doing.

What are they going to do with these 11 draft picks if not spend them on unproven players that you project are going to be good?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
For some reason the Patriots still have about half the cap space they started free agency with (27m + 3-5m from restructuring/cutting Amendola) - wonder how they will spend all that money.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

It's good to be an NFL owner.

It has literally no influence on the owner cash spending, but means that players who actually continually play on a high level will earn more than streaky players who catch teams in a bad spot.

I don't get why people don't understand that the NFL has a very robust hard cap - which is the real reason why it's good to be an NFL owner.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
The issue with Kaep as a backup is that he is only a serviceable QB if you play a system that suits him, which no team does at this point. If your Rodgers or Luck goes down, you can't just sub in Kaep and have him execute the same offense, which is very problematic for a backup QB.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-personnel-man-were-convinced-darrelle-revis-is-going-back-to-new-england/

Revis playing for the Patriots while getting paid (all but the veteran minimum*) by the Jets would feel so good.

* Just give him a contract with the second year having a guaranteed salary of 4m to pay him for his services this year while loving the Jets

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

It's hard to imagine a world where Revis of all people plays for free for a season.

He doesn't.

He will sign a contract that looks like this:

2017: vet minimum
2018: 7m (fully guaranteed)
2019: 8m

Which means he gets the 2018 money anyway, which is compensation for his services in 2017 and 2018, just not called that, to make sure that he still gets most of the Jets money. This contract would lead to a guaranteed cash flow of 13m to Revis in the next two years.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/scottzolak/status/845253861040443392

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Apparently it's between Houston and CBS.

Obviously he should just retire and golf but man can you imagine what romo winning a superbowl in houston would do to Dallas?

Isn't he super close to Jerry Jones? I could see him going to CBS over Houston because he doesn't want to cuck Dallas by winning a Super Bowl with Houston.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I dont think any amount of closeness is going to prevent the guy who hasn't ever been to the super bowl from giving it at least one last shot.

Playing in the AFC for any team but the Patriots makes it impossible to even get to the Super Bowl - #blitz4six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
What are the chances that Jay Cutler wants to play for another Bill Belichick disciple, who already got into a physical altercation with one wannabe QB?

• Locked thread