Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Serotonin posted:

Against my better judgement, and much prior mockery of AoS on my part, I've started playing AoS.

My only get out is that I'm playing with a friend, my 10 year old and his 12 yr old and a few of his school friends. I'd tried Kings of War with them but it didn't engage them ( despite being a much better game). AoS seems to work for young kids who want to mash a load of action figures together, and once I'd put aside my reservations regarding a lot of the rules ( especially the shooting) it was actually quite fun.

Is it still just mashing poo poo together? I was hoping that things would have advanced a bit by this stage...

Also, does anyone play with their square based models, or is that frowned upon? If I dip my toe in this (and, like Serotonin, I disliked AoS on launch) I do not want to have to rebase anything, and want to continue to be able to use my dudes in rank and file games as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Some of the guys in my group played Necromunda with alternating activations and they said it really added a lot to the game. I imagine doing it for AoS, or even 40K, would do the same.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Booger posted:

anyone know of a source of slotted 60x35 mm oval bases (2 slots, like old cav bases) I am looking to re-base some painted skaven weapon teams, and cutting off the metal tabs on painted models, and the fact that they are two models not one big one, is making my head hurt.

I know it's a pain, but can you cut slots into some unslotted bases? I saw a guy do that when he rebased his tabbed metal stuff. I think a Dremel would make short work of something like that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

I need to buy bases, like $70 dollars worth at GW prices. Anyone have a good source for them? (Plastic or MDF as long as they look pretty close.)

Ebay is usually a good source.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I started looking through the AoS BRB, and what the gently caress. Granted, I'm only about 20 pages in, and a lot of those are just art, but it's like I'm coming in on book two of a series. I am very familiar with the old WFB lore, as well as 40K, and this AoS book appears to be "just take what you already know about 40K and replace certain parts with this!" There doesn't appear to be any world building or attempt to explain anything.

I would have been happy with "Once, there was the Old World. It is long gone, having been destroyed by the forces of Chaos, and much has changed. Over millennia, the forces of Sigmar have been in a fighting retreat, but are now prepared to push back against the tide of darkness..."

Bam. Justification of why everything is different and why names have changed. But so far, nothing, and it is very frustrating. Does it get any better or am I wasting my time reading this book for background?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

While the rules have grown on me. The setting still is not all that great.

I decided to take a look at the "Reader's Digest" version at 1d4 Chan, and, Jesus, this is painful. It's not even the writing that's the issue - it's the fact that the GW lore makes zero sense and is just terrible. If any game company came out with this as the background for their game system, it would have died on the vine. GW only got a pass because they rolled WFB into it.

I really did have the urge to try AoS a few days ago, mostly based on the excitement Tyler Mengel had for his TKs and his unofficial TK Battletome. That urge has completely fled now - this background is so unengaging I just cannot will myself to be interested. I suppose it's better this way, since none of my group plays AoS anyway...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Booger posted:

Now we are talking, I am currently rebasing 300 skaven.....it is not a fun process. But man it would be nice for a reward at the end of it all :)

It's going to be a Star Player for BB. Hakflem Skuttlespike, maybe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pawl posted:

There is Big News coming tomorrow and lots of people think this will be an official 2nd edition of AOS or an unveiling of GHB vol2

GW stated that they won't be doing numbered editions of AoS. Supposedly, there will just be yearly/incremental updates. As for GHB 2, it hasn't been a year on the first one, and GW just talked to the Adepticon AoS community regarding their thoughts on the game. I say it's a bit early for vol 2 yet, though I could be wrong.

I'm leaning toward 8th ed 40K being announced, since they haven't officially done that outside of the Adepticon event.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pawl posted:

40k 8th ed is also coming, but it would be weird if they announced it during the biggest AOS tournament of the year. It makes more sense to stagger those announcements and releases so you dont cannibalize your own customer base.
Ah, I didn't realize they were having an AoS tourney. That makes sense then.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Are the Grand Alliance books collections of the free PDFs?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

AoS Skirmish is up for preorders this week, cheap too:

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/05/this-weeks-pre-orders-aos-skirmish.html

And that's a great price on a double-sized Garden of Morr which remains one of the best GW scenery kits.

For that price, I wonder if it will just be a printed copy of the AoS rules with a couple of extra scenarios.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's an awesome mat, but I can't see spending $80 usd on it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

I don't understand why GW keeps making 4x4 mats when both AoS and Sigmar are primarily played on 6x4.

SWA and AoS skirmish are on 4x4.

But yeah, it's kind of silly.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm kind of surprised at the small number of models required to play Skirmish - I was looking at the Skirmish bundles and thinking "Man, this Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband is only 72 points..." Then I saw that the recommended starting points value is 25, working up to 100. So one of the starters gets you three quarters of the way there, which is pretty great.

But then I also see that the Weirdnob alone is 24 points, so how in the world are you supposed to start at 25 points, with the minimum of three models, including a leader?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

Tons of heroes are over 20 points. I think starting with 35-50 makes a lot more sense even in a campaign.

I ordered the Weirdnob box set - it was only $50 shipped, so I'm going to give this game a try. I'd like to get a Megaboss, but, holy crow, those models are pricey.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I read the Flesh -Eater Courts and am currently reading the Ironjawz Battletomes, and, I have to say they are not bad. I'm still lost as far as the actual setting goes, and think it very poorly defined, but GW is doing a good job with the fluff of the inhabitants. I'm cool with the Ghouls thinking they are some sort of royalty (I don't see them as strictly Bretonnians, like some people do, but whatever,) and I'm finding the Orruk (ugh) stuff funny and very Orc/Ork like:

quote:

Tearing iron from the [Soul Grinders], the orruks hammered the daemon metal into armour. Even though the living iron continually tried to crush them, the Brutes took great pride in their new armour, as it proved how "super killy" they must be.
:orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

The Khradron and Sylvaneth books are great for the same reason. Say what you will for the wider setting but the individual factions are full of character, cutting ties from the admittably more tradtional fantasy trappings has let the studio go crazy with concepts that probably would have clashed with WHFB.

I flipped through the Kharadron Overlords book and the art was amazing. And I had the same thought about the non-traditional fantasy when I was reading the Ironjawz book today - it would be nice if they were able to make a coherent description of the setting though. I find it amazing that with all the new art and obvious thought they put into the new races that they would be using maps that looked like they were labeled in Powerpoint and "all the Realms are connected by space tunnels or some poo poo!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Here's hoping AoSRPG pulls it off and gives some cohesiveness to the Mortal Realms setting.

I hope so - WFRP did a lot to flesh out the Old World.

Side note: I managed to get the Island of Blood set from a local store today for $80, though it was originally marked for $150 (!) I know it's the same as the Spire of Dawn set, but at least I don't have to wait for it to come back in stock. Now I can run some rats for Skirmish.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 2, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think a big problem is that GW keeps conflating the myth aspect (i.e. "Sigmar ate a fire mountain! Gorkamorka ate a city, and the inhabitants still live in his belly!") with the mortal aspect, and it's very confusing and haphazard. They need to separate the two and concentrate on the mortal realm, since that's where everything happens anyway. Also, having everything on different planes/realms but then just connecting them with the AoS webway so it's like one big plane/realm anyway was dumb. And the concept of time makes no sense in context of the background. I wish they would just say that all of this takes place in the Realm of Chaos, and everything would just "click."

I have no problem with a non-sensical setting, but they have to give some sort of context for it so we can have an anchor point. :catdrugs: is a perfect explanation though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I think it originally retailed at $100 but welcome to the Rat Club, enjoy painting 900 Clanrats. Only downside is the old box only has square bases but circle slotta based are probably real easy to come by if you want them.
Yeah - I had purchased the set years ago, pretty much for the rulebook (I sold off the minis) and I don't think I would have paid that much for it. The $150 was going off of what the sticker on the box said. The store is pretty good about keeping prices at GW MSRP, so I don't know if that was GW pricing just before they pulled the set from the market.

I'm going to limit my rats to Skirmish, so I won't be doing 900 of them. I'll keep the large numbers at 10mm scale for Warmaster, thank you very much.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I want a Bloodsecrator but hate watching auctions. What's a good bits supplier that can help me out?

Buy it Now is your friend.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone tried the Hinterlands skirmish at all? I'm hearing about balance issues with Skirmish and was wondering if I should just bypass it altogether and go to Hinterlands.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
There's a leaked image of the General's Handbook 2 from a French WD Thunder & Blood starter booklet, so it looks like the release will be soon?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 26, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Welp, I guess they're keeping on top of the leaks.

I was assembling a box of the Ironjawz at lunch, and noticed how much better the Brutes look without that "cage" front armor:

VS.

Without the armor, he's got so much more character.

Also, the peg-leg is an option - there should be no option. Peg-legs 4 lyfe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

All you need is some pirate hats and you're in business.

Yarr.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like all of these except the beard. Orks with hair is...unsettling.

Paint it like yarn and it's solid.

Call me Squigbeard. Sum years ago—nevva mind how long presisley, ya git —'avin' little or no teef in my purse, and nuffink partikular to interest me on shore, I finked I would sail about a little and see da watery part of da world...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
God help me, I just bought two boxes of the "Start Collecting" Ironjawz. I put a bid of $60 each, and it was immediately accepted.

I don't even know if there is a local AoS community... :ohdear:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I almost bought one yesterday - it's an awesome model. But $40? Yeesh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

chutche2 posted:

Arch warlock
Warlord
Warlock engineer
20 clanrats
20 clanrats
20 stormvermin
Ratling gun
Warpfire thrower

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my IoB Skaven. Good to see that it won't get completely rolled.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Good lord, putting the plastic Black Orcs/Ardboys together is a pain in the rear end. The "tongue and groove" system they have is terrible and isn't deep enough to work, and certain legs won't work on certain bodies, but there isn't any way to tell until you're gluing them on. You can certainly see the difference between them and the newer Brute models - those things were a pleasure to assemble.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Black_Nexus posted:

The ardboys are like 8 years old or so I think compared to a brand new kit

Yeah, I know. It's just that having the two side-by-side is a real eye-opener.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I still think an End Times Bretonnian revolution list would have been amazing.
Some sort of "Last Stand" of the Bretonnians would have been absolutely incredible.

Personally, I'm waiting for some brave soul to convert a Bret army to fit in the Flesheater list.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cool army, but it's more VC themed. And, yeah, I know about Mousillon. I wanted to do something like this years ago - I had a bunch of the old Bret Knights from 5th edition and was going to cut the legs off the horses and add skeleton legs. I think I saw someone do it in an old WD. Also wanted to do an Araby themed Undead army with Flying Carpets instead of Carrion. Never got around to them though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

Here's some overly colourful Stormcasts from the Pastel Realm.

Overly colorful actually makes them look good. Way better than the studio schemes. I'm glad you're painting again.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Link's dead.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

It was a video about the rise of Nurgle in the age of slgmar. Some new release maybe?

Oh, yeah, it's on the front page now. It appears to be another story-driven campaign.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Local manager was telling me that AoS took a 58% or 68% dip in sales when 8th dropped. Management freaked out, because they were expecting it to drop but not by that much, so they're pushing AoS. He mentioned a new release, so maybe this is it.

Ah, Here's the new release. Firestorm.
I'm not sure why they didn't expect that - they don't support AoS well at all. They keep throwing out new supplements saying "A new way to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar is coming!" but never really promote it or seem to have any excitement for the system in general. I understand 40K is their moneymaker, but continuously pushing "a new way to play" seems like a desperate attempt to keep throwing life preservers out in the hopes someone latches on.

Personally, changing "The Mortal Realms" to be analogous to the "World that was" (the Old World) would help, I think. The AoS background is too scattered and incomprehensible to grasp - let people fight in the mortal world OR have battles in the no-holds-barred mythic gods-realm of AoS.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

Question about bases sizes that I could probably google. The Skink Star Priest guy comes with a tiny 25mm round base, in addition to his moulded square one, would it make nerds cry/break some version of the rules putting him on a 32-40mm base as he is a Hero model?
Base sizes! As for crying, I could see some people getting bent out of shape, as you do measure from the base (unless you're following the "measure from the model" rules, which, as far as I know, nobody does.) You'd be getting an extra 7-15mm reach on spells or whatever. Not having got a game in yet though, I don't know how much this would actually make a difference.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

Pro-Tip: Don't do what I did and buy the current Generals Handbook, the new one's out on Saturday.
Do we know if the entire GHB 1 is invalidated, or will everything but the points values still be good?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Give me my goddamn skeletons!

Hopefully the game releases in October with at least the four factions that have been show so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They did a really good job on the ethereal to solid transition on that guy. I really like the paintjob.

• Locked thread