Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paxman posted:

Everyone should read this because it shows why it's important to elect a Labour leader who has the confidence of their MPs.

Then again it also shows why Labour needs better MPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

You'd be surprised at the range of products you can create through processing fish.

You can, but you also don't have to fish them up yourself. Processing fish would clearly fall under the processed goods part of the economy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

The EU has without question stunted our agricultural sector. When quotas came in the average livestock farmer was at retirement age with very low levels of literacy, and the younger generation had very little interest at getting up at 4am in the snow. The quota are worth far far more than the land and big business pay a premium. No poo poo all the farmers sold up and buggered off to Spain. In the early days the new mega farms also wanted the land but they only wanted the minimum they could get away with for efficiency's sake, which has left us with miles and miles of land that by law cannot be farmed and is worth £fuckall. You remove the restrictions on what farmers can and cannot farm then you will end up with an explosion of small innovative businesses, probably focusing on the kind of intensive farming they have in china and japan.

Yeah, I'm sure that the plucky British farmer is going to do super well after a couple of years when they're actually facing the protectionist agricultural policies of the EU rather than being shielded by them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paxman posted:

She wouldn't though. She may be less left wing that many people here would like but she's not the same as Theresa May. She's not a Tory.

She's from the same tradition that introduced the National Minimum Wage in the face of opposition from the Tories and right wing media and moved the Overton Window so now even the Tories boast about increasing it; increased funding for schools; increased the number of nurses and doctors; wrote off a lot of debt for the developing world; introduced devolution; created paternity leave; increased child benefit; created sure start; signed the Good Friday agreement; cut pensioner poverty; cut child poverty; doubled the overseas aid budget; abolished Section 28; introduced civil partnerships, and moved the Overton window so even the Tories now try to boast about who loves LGBTQ people the most.

Even with all the things Labour did wrong, that's a lot better than a Tory government. It's not true that most Labour MPs are the same as the Tories, they're actually much better. A government led by these people would be much better than a Tory government.

Just because Tony managed to do some good in his spare time from crusading in the middle east doesn't mean that his cargo cult would.

Paxman posted:

And for all Yvette Cooper's faults, the alternative people seem to be offering is a Labour leader who is actively destroying the party and helping the Tories stay in power for God knows how long to come.

The current crop of New Labourites have done far more harm to the party than Corbyn ever could, so I don't see how putting them back in charge would improve the medium to long-term situation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paxman posted:

Surely it didn't seem like I was suggesting Labour should today should just echo the policies of 1997 to 2005. I'm saying Labour's record in Government suggests it's not true that the party is just as bad as the Tories when it gets into power, even when it has a centrist leader. It's actually better than the Tories, and would be again.

Labour's record in government is irrelevant since the people who ran the government back then are not the New Labour of today, and every indicator shows that New Labour of today would in fact be the Tories with human-esque face.

And even if that's a bit better than the Tories, it quite simply isn't good enough to actully fix any of the problems that need solving.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plucky Brit posted:

We already had him; his name was Tony Blair.

I don't think Obama looks quite ghoulish enough for that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's a really weird reading of a result that saw the overall left vote fall and is likely to produce a bland centre-right/liberal government with a VVD-CDA-D66 (read: traditional right, soft right/christian democrat, centrist liberal) core.

I mean, you're saying that the centre-left collapsed but it's cool because one fragmentary left party went from around 3% to around 11%.

Neoliberal Third Way parties aren't actually on the left and are also the poster children for a failed ideology, hth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Ken Livingstone threatening to take Labour to judicial review in the same interview as complaining certain MPs are "damaging the Labour party" is an interesting contrast. did he lose self-awareness along with gaining his Nazi obsession?

Well, as the saying goes, it takes one to know one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?

Financial advice on dying internet comedy forums and all, but goldbuggery is never a sound strategy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

The European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/29/first-eu-response-to-article-50-takes-tough-line-on-transitional-deal

Basically, "you will suffer if you go through with this idiocy, but you can back out at any time."

I think the important part is that it's “subject to conditions set by all EU27 so they cannot be used as a procedural device or abused in an attempt to improve the actual terms of the United Kingdom’s membership”, so good luck backing out without getting your balls busted.

Not that the list of conditions there combined with the Tories' suicide bomber approach to the Brexit negotiations doesn't already add up to a pretty solid risk of future testicular destruction, of course.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

lol the battle between J-Melz and The Corbster to see who could tailspin the left into electoral oblivion the fastest would be something to watch but I'd rather have a strong left or *whisper* centre left instead of that

Hollande, Miliband and Clinton already finished that particular race.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's a perfectly accurate descriptive statement though?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

You better tell that to the Norwegian, Icelandic, and Liechensteiner governments, then.

So wait, since when were any of these countries EU members?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

They aren't EU members but are full members of the single market.

There's nothing stopping the UK from applying to become an EFTA Member State. If Corbyn doesn't want to fight for the single market, he can do that, but he shouldn't make statements so brazenly wrong you can tell from five seconds on Wikipedia.

I hate to be all pissflapsy, but your statement rests on a wilful misunderstanding of what the word "remain" means, which is why I was making fun of you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

It is possible, and under a different Whitehall administration, likely, that the UK-EU deal can involve the UK joining EFTA alongside leaving the EU, without interrupting EEA membership.

This we could remain in the Single Market but not be in the EU.

So you're saying if the circumstances were entirely different from what they actually are, Corbyn's statement would be wrong. Jesus, and here I felt bad for having to descend into minor pedantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Those different circumstances being labour winning a general election.

What a fanciful notion.

It is rather fanciful that the circumstances under which Brexit will be negotiated would be altered by Labour winning a general election that won't take place until after the negotiations are finished, yes.

I would call this pissflapping to the pissflaps, but on the other hand it's not entirely surprising that I'm forced to explain the concept of time to him.

• Locked thread