Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Can you define yourself ethno-nationally so we have a suggestion who we should kick out?

Perfidious yanqui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Also lol at the Phillipenes vs The British Empire.

America is the living triumph of colonialism young poster

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That feel when Labour voters quietly mumble thanks to the unelected ermine fringed upper house

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

greens 1, pbp 2 (McCann) and then Eastwood 3 I guess if he needs it

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

Don't do exactly this, as you run the risk of exhausting your ballot.

Keep preferencing as far down as you can stomach – even to the UUP if needs be – to ensure the DUP have a hard time reaching the quota.

Nah I know the mechanics of how the counting will play pretty well. Greens 1 is try to tip them over 1%, which probably won't happen, so when they got knocked out it will transfer to McCann who is in the running for the 5th seat against SF, Eastwood three is in case McCann gets knocked out to boost his numbers - in that case it will split 2 SF, 1 DUP, 2 SDLP

DUP are a lock and the unionist vote is small here so they can only carry one seat even with transfers and frankly returning McCann is a more important battle imo

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

KKK is there even a slight chance we're not going to see DUP/SF as the big two? I saw the vote pref polls and they aren't comforting

Nah they will be biggest parties barring a huge shift which is why well probably get direct rule in a month

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SF have said they don't want a new agreement, just an implementation of outstanding terms from the last agreements and have made a lot of noises to indicate this will be done by direct negotiation with the Tories - one of the big outstanding issues is legacy investigations which has become snarled up in a roadblock over disagreements with the government over evidence considered security sensitive the government does not want to hand over.

Of course putting James "I wrote a column complaining about the witchunt of our brave troops on the anniversary of bloody Sunday" Brokenshire in charge at a time of increasing Tory backbench pressure for a statute of limitations to protect ARE BOYS means its doubtful that's going to get agreed in two weeks

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So is NI just having basically a snap general cos the government collapsed? I gathered stuff was a bit dire but I guess I missed the bit where it actually went tits up.

The election is happening cause the government collapsed but there is zero garauntee a new government can be put together after the election

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think I remember you saying that people are a bit sick of a lot of the parties and it's hard to know what's going to happen exactly.

The smaller parties might get a boost but were taking a major tide change to forestall a quagmire

this could signal a beginning of the reversal of a 13 year old trend but no one considers a huge shift likely

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

basically hope the DUP loses seats, the UUP vote share shows some sign of increase rather than stagnation and the small other parties make more percentage gains and hold their ground with the number of available seats going down

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So that's the nats sweeping it then.

If Sinn Fein actually becomes the largest party we will legit be ruled by Tories for several years

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Isn't that looking like the likeliest outcome at this point anyway?

Unlikey. Maybe the off chance of being the biggest first preference vote winner but unionist transfer votes give a distinct edge in terms of winning seats, SF can only profit so much from a split unionist electorate thanks to STV.

The grim spectre of SF becoming the largest party is the DUP's favorite electioneering strategy to scare Unionist voters into transferring down to them or vote for them straight up, they just wave a paper cut out of Gerry Adams and make some spooky noises

If the margin between them in seat numbers got even slimmer and it actually looked like a possibility the Unionist rank closing would be crazy, voting pacts (which are usually reserved for westminster) might even get dusted off in some constituencies

edit: oh, you mean ruled by the Tories. Yeah I am preparing my body as we speak

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

baka kaba posted:

*sinister quacking*

you say that...

https://twitter.com/patsymcglone/status/834402124226260993

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paxman posted:

So who's lesson the Shinners in Northern Ireland now that McGuiness has gone? Gerry Adams is basically now focusing on politics in Ireland, as in Republic of Ireland, is that right?

E: leading, not lessons

Former health minister/agriculture minister Michelle O Neil was appointed "Leader in the North", not necessarily the most recognisable SF face but shes young and has never been to prison (though her rustiness showed in the leaders debates imo).

Gerry largely stays down South and when he ventures up to get involved he's usually blamed for making things worse now as the combative position he's used to using in opposition in the Dail doesn't necessarily gel well with the compromises of the Assembly, McGuinness was seen as better at playing the steady at the tiller role and smoothing over things

Though of course many people think that sort of compromise is responsible for the rise of the left wing protest parties and nationalist disengagement

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's a fair chunk of chin stroking opinion that thinks that if McGuinness wasn't in bad health some kind of out could have been negotiated for the current crisis that could have avoided total collapse but we will never know

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

All these people talking down Cornish independence on twitter on the run up to the vote are ridiculous, with the PDO for Cornish Pasties secured the UK will be reliant on good trade relations with Cornwall

What are they going to do? Eat pork pies? gently caress no

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

Has there been any polling on which way the corns will go?

I don't think there's been any reliable polling as the Emmet clause in the referendum motion hasn't gone into full effect so were still not clear on the final electoral roll

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nesbitt might be finished as leader. Might be time for another rightward swing

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The SDLP has made a rights balls up of this. Finishing fourth on first preferences in south down, getting in last in mid ulster and SF topping the vote in Foyle by a huge margin

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, that's the problem the SDLP and the UUP have both had for close to 10 years - what can they offer their core constituents that Sinn Fein and the DUP can't?

I voted for Farry first then the UUP guys second and third (and I can't remember who came next - I think Agnew must have been in there somewhere and I know I didn't vote for the Shinner, not that they'd have a snowball's chance in North Down in any event) but they're at the point where both parties might as well pack it in.

They want to be the opposition but to be frank Jim loving Allister did a better job of that in the last Assembly, and I anticipate Long could in this one.

I thought Eastwood had done a better job as leader than anyone post-Hume and may of at least held their bases, as someone from Derry seeing SF break through the old defences here raises an eyebrow.

Are we sure Sugden is coming back? She didn't seem so keen about it and I can see Long taking Justice to check SF/DUP after the opposition got walked over

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GerryAdamsSinnFeinIRA

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doug Beattie rapidly being singled out to replace Nesbitt

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's ruled himself out for now, though. Says he doesn't think he has the knowledge or experience to lead the party. Might end up falling to him by default.

Danny Kennedy or Jo-Anne Dobson would've been the best choices but they've both lost their seats.

If Nesbitt was too liberal for many in the UUP Beattie seems like a hard sell, what with his stance on same-sex marriage and siding with the more liberal bloc over abortion.

Who's left for the conservatives - Swann?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think we're ready for a leader's debate with a Ballymena man

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Excuse me but Gerry Adams was never in the IRA don't you know

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failing to kneecap his brother on the otherhand

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

One piece of good news: the most seats the DUP can get is 30. Will almost certainly only win 29; if Eamonn McCann's lucky, 28.

Sadly, though, a DUP FM is almost certain, unless the PBP or Greens change their designation to Nationalist to give SF the right to nominate as the largest party of the largest community.

Changing designations wouldn't do it, there's a deliberate fiddly out clause

Northern Ireland (St Andrews Agreement) Act 2006 16C(6) posted:

(6)If at any time the party which is the largest political party of the largest political designation is not the largest political party—

(a)any nomination to be made at that time under section 16A(4) or 16B(4) shall instead be made by the nominating officer of the largest political party; and

(b)any nomination to be made at that time under section 16A(5) or 16B(5) shall instead be made by the nominating officer of the largest political party of the largest political designation

So if Nationalist became the largest designation through someone jumping sides, if SF is one seat shy of the DUP the DUP would still retain the right to nominate first minister by virtue of being the largest political party

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I did not know that NI had official rules about dealing with nationalists/unionists.

That's... frankly a remarkably good idea but I'm astonished people managed to agree to it.

lol of course we do

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

What if, as isn't improbable, the DUP and SF tie at 28-28 and PBP jump ship (which would possibly tie the community-wide totals too)?

You have Jim Allister (TUV) and Claire Sugden (Ind) to add to the Unionist count so you'd need to muster two defectors. The Greens wouldn't be up for that - I doubt you'll get an Alliance jumper

Only time there was tactical redesignation was when Alliance went Unionist for like one day to save Trimble during the wobbly decommissioning days

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mean if the UUP weren't hosed before this election the closeness of this may mean they are now - I expect in the multi-month negotiations we'll get a rejiggering of the First Minister position so that it's just First Ministers (no deputy) who the largest party in the largest designation each have a right to nominate for with any vague illusion of primacy in position (and it is only an illusion now) officially dispelled and both names being put forward and voted on at the same time

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

The SDLP are projected to finish on two more than the UUP, I believe. So only the PBP would need to go Nationalist.

If the SDLP finish on 12, SF will finish on 27 - they are competing for the last seat in the same constituency

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

Ah, yeah, I realised that as soon as my maths didn't add up. Still, I think a PBP jump if SF win the East Londonderry seat would have 28-28 and 40-40.

It would be super deadlock yeah but I can't see PBP handing SF the ultimate prize, they seemed more than a little bitter over the conduct of the Belfast West election

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If Carroll jumped id be concerned about the Alliance vote holding up in future elections, even liberal unionists could get spooked

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Would UUP ever conceivably team up with DUP/TUV to lodge a petition of concern vs gay marriage?

Depends who the leader of the UUP is but a conservative MLA throwing their signature on a petition isnt unlikely at all, if a Liberal gets the leadership and tries to strengthen the whip on the issue (at the minute its a free vote for the party) I could see it

Abortion is a bit trickier. You have the DUP and SDLP, the TUV and maybe half of the UUP that would prevent it getting a simple majority

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Hopefully when direct rule happens HMG just tells everyone to gently caress off and gives NI the same abortion/gay rights laws as England.

The Tories don't want direct rule so they are not going to reward anyone. Rates freezes will go out the window, domestic water charges (originally proposed under the last period of direct rule) might be coming back...

They'll want to force an agreement as soon as possible by reminding Stormont that they give zero fucks

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm doubtful the Tories will make moves on same sex marriage as it was a major campaigning demand of SF and moving to instate it after a collapse of devolution over the heads of the DUP would be spun as a victory by SF.

The Tories don't want to make direct rule attractive in any way, there is a non-insignificant chunk of opinion in NI that thinks direct rule can be no worse than Stormont and will allow outstanding issues to be directly negotiated with Westminster who would prefer to keep their distance - they'll want to smash that idea and remind people that it is not really an option you should consider

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I'm not sure how Theresa May is stupid enough to think that provoking Sinn Fein, the DUP, the UUP and the SNP at the same time will work out for her, but tories gonna tory.

From a Whitehall perspective direct rule is not and should not be an option for parties to fallback on to preserve their negotiation stances, they would much prefer regional negotiations yielded successful agreement without them having to step in - Villiers has already been in the press today calling for emergency legislation to extend the government formation period in order to forestall what seems to be the inevitable.

Ironically reminding the parties here that direct rule is a pile of shite is meant to remind them the value of Stormont - either you sort it out or you get the Tory's and all the spending cuts that entails

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

pfft but which sub accent

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

see also: Murials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paisley is pure flow mid-ulster and Belfahhhhst and Derry wans rip the piss out of that accent a lot.

I think any Northern who has had to make themselves intelligible to outsiders gets accused of being posh tbh

• Locked thread