Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I can't tell if this Mail guy is being sarcastic

https://mobile.twitter.com/thequentinletts/status/844561262889586688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rakosi posted:

It was always going to happen, and it's gonna happen again eventually.

Well that's the thing, terrorism doesn't require big plots for the security services to foil. So far this is a fuckup with a car and another with a knife, both with the motivation to hurt people. You can't prevent that kind of thing from happening, you have to stop people from wanting to do it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't know what the mail is going on about car terrorism unless they mean you can look up what pedal makes the car go on Wikipedia. But I assume their actual motive is mass censorship.

Well they're outraged that Google is allowing people to say "it's a hoax" without punishment so yeah. But the Mail exists to scare old people about how terrible/precocious the world today is, so handwavey poo poo about That Internet, Are Boys and The Terrorisms is like slot machine reels lining up

They might be lining up for a 'crusade' too, that's what the print edition likes to focus on to keep its circulation up

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Marina's the best

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

There's so much rank stupidity in the arrangements of the City council, and in the statements made in this article, that I don't even know where to begin.

The City is incredibly hosed up and I'm not even sure it's a good thing Labour are doing well there. It's hard to imagine things like affordable housing being a vote winner in a place like that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's really weird, especially with all the stuff about the lack of public space around there

Kinda sounds like a nature reserve or something. A little ecosystem of the little people you can watch from your tower

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

It actually is, at least among the voters the Labour group was targeting: they're specifically seeking to represent the people who actually live in the City region, which includes a number of council blocks. One of the guys in the Labour council group wrote a couple of posts explaining the group's history:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5twdj7/the_somethingsgate_diaries_dispatches_from_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5u40l3/the_somethingsgate_diaries_2_a_change_is_gonna/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5uyev6/the_somethingsgate_diaries_3_the_lay_of_the_land/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5wnz9n/somethingsgate_newsflash_i_won/

That's cool - although I guess, if the place is so heavily partitioned, this is about the best they can hope for? Still good but basically no chance of taking any control?

ThomasPaine posted:

What's their actual justification? Because paying kids minimum wage for a week is hardly going to cost them and fits neatly with their whole 'making the industry appealing' shtick. Or is this just one of those unapologetically cynical 'because they think they can get away with it' situations.

They have so many foreign workers because they can't seem to hire brits - they finally realised it's because we actually want to be paid in sandwiches

e- that tweet is a masterclass in spin

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Our economy will be based on sandwiches and sandwich exports, idiot!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Seaside Loafer posted:

Not that i'm in favor of loving sandwich shops offering ''apprenticeships' I suspect it was just a miscommunication from the dope who put the original ad out.

Why? Apprenticeships are usually terrible pay, and this was only meant to be for a week - I mean they're calling it the Big Experience Week, it's basically work experience. I'm surprised they actually get given a sandwich instead of having to make one in the storeroom while nobody's watching

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This is a great headline pic

Seaside Loafer posted:

I dont know im just kind of in favor of people being paid for their time, call me an old traditionalist if you like.

Well yeah obviously, I meant why would you assume it was a miscommunication and not exactly what they planned

I'm wondering if it's meant to be a sneaky backdoor way of hiring some British people so they can just ignore all those pesky foreign applicants. Start a 'work experience scheme' for people in school/college, then offer some of them a job

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

He was a human-rights lawyer, you can probably work the rest out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I suppose you can make the argument that minorities (including political minorities) are less likely to agitate against establisment power and work outside that system if they feel they have representation within it. I don't know how much radicalised Muslims would care that Sadiq is mayor or whatever, but it makes sense that having Muslims in prominent positions limits the sense of exclusion and the grievances that rise from it. To what degree and how much the 'British authorities' see it as an effective control, you'll have to ask the professor to back up those claims which I'm sure he has being a respectable academic and all

But things aren't going to hell here, unless you're talking about the rise of the far right which seems a lot more worrying and widespread than some vague threat of general Muslim extremism. The only people claiming this is some game-changing event are the usual right-wing shitheads hyping their own 'oh no the brown hordes' narratives

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

there isn't really much to report

by this standard it should be dominating the rolling news channels!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Paxman posted:

I don't agree that Labour shifted opinion so much as saw it as immovable and concluded it had to appear to play along with it.

You don't think the government pushing that official narrative influenced opinion at all?

It doesn't matter if that kind of prejudice already existed, pandering to it for political gain has repercussions, and makes it easier for the right wing to exploit it even more. Labour ended up 'having to' chase them in 2015 but were basically accepting their premises while being reluctant to completely address them. So you ended up with a platform of "yes the things are necessary, no we're not going to fully implement them". That kind of disconnect between rhetoric and action works when you're in power and putting a PR spin on things, doesn't work so well when you're trying to convince people to vote for you

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Fascinating Twitter account

https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/845903752829685760

Shows what can be achieved when labour are in power.

What, that they can set up a scheme to pay compensation when the High Court rules they have to

"it's a debt we all owe" is just a literal statement of legal fact

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jippa posted:

I went to the website but couldn't see much apart from the most sun story ever:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/31875...ashing-a-woman/
For all your :stonk: needs
http://en.kiosko.net/uk/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah but terrorists know the right ashtags to use. Ban all fires

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

vodkat posted:

considering the comments here it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be

thats not really saying much tho

Well I was seeing this

instead of some leery life-ruining-more-than-it-already-is bullshit

From a distance the other one looks like the Sun complaining encryption is stopping them from getting nudes I don't need to type anything here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

We're not really an aging society, look to Europe for that.

Well yeah we keep sending them all our pensioners

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If Salmond puts the boot in on David Davis it might make QT tolerable for once

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh it's on now? Not in the too hot timeslot

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gorn Myson posted:

All he needs to do is repeatedly ask him if hes actually done any loving work these past 9 months.

Oh hey, turns out the government actually has contingency plans for everything now! That was a productive two weeks, v convenient

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Starmer basically just held to the Labour strategy -"the people decided, we voted accordingly, now we're holding the government to account with these red lines and if they're not met we won't be voting for the final deal". A lot of talk about the importance of what's happening and doing it right. Pretty dull and sincere but that's where they're at, being the serious party that's part of the process and acts as the people's watchdog

He wasn't a very engaging speaker either! Props to Nick "mey waife" Clegg for straight-up calling the whole thing bullshit all night even though everyone hated him for it. No minds were changed

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

Fill a deliberate QT not watcher in if you please.

baka kaba posted:

Starmer basically just held to the Labour strategy -"the people decided, we voted accordingly, now we're holding the government to account with these red lines and if they're not met we won't be voting for the final deal". A lot of talk about the importance of what's happening and doing it right. Pretty dull and sincere but that's where they're at, being the serious party that's part of the process and acts as the people's watchdog

He wasn't a very engaging speaker either! Props to Nick "mey waife" Clegg for straight-up calling the whole thing bullshit all night even though everyone hated him for it. No minds were changed

Get ready for people who complained about Corbyn taking this approach being all 'nice one Keir!'

The 'six tests' are
1. Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?
2. Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?
3. Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?
4. Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?
5. Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?
6. Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kokoro Wish posted:

Using "Cool White" corn bulb LED lights here ourselves. Cheap, give off a bright white light with much less artificial flavour than a flourescent, and only rings in at 6W.

Imagine how much you could see if they were 1600W!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wow Tory PM surges in popularity on Britain's 'Independence Day', how could this be

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

wait wiat wait why is she leaving Euratom, a legally distinct organisation too?

jesusc hrist lol

Nobody tells britane what to do with our atoms anymore

And we'll be having none of these 'subatomic particles' neither - atom is foreign for indivisible and that's how we like it!!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Get this foreign shite out of our classrooms now, let's get back to Anglish Worldken.

This minglingken sounds suspiciously like multiculturalism

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Weird how we have vehemently pro Brexit media yet still nearly half the country still thinks it's a bad idea.

Almost as if it's possible for ideas to prove influential even without the support of the tabloids?

A competent politician might be able to do something with that, given the opportunity.

It's a lot more than half who think it should still go ahead though. That's not exactly making the case that the media has no influence

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Why would it? Nothing's happened yet apart from a bunch of noise

But there's much more support for actually going ahead with Brexit, and with May promising all things to all people, the Tories are going ahead with what the majority of people want. Until the negotiations start to play out, people can stay hopeful and optimistic it'll work ok. It's not like there's this 50% hotbed of resistance just waiting for a leader

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Marenghi posted:

Those complaints probably had to do with the fact the Irish government hasn't done much to attract British companies and now seems to be losing out to other European countries.

I'm not sure where'd we put them if they did come here. There's a serious housing shortage and vacant commercial property isn't in abundance either. The cost of living in Dublin is pretty high considering you don't get much to show for it.

I had read bankers don't rate it as a place to relocate due to lack of quality schools and restaurants for the rich.

Actually

quote:

JP Morgan is in talks to buy an office building in Dublin big enough to hold more than 1,000 workers, increasing speculation that it will move a substantial number of jobs from London as a result of Brexit. 

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Breath Ray finally lands a shot :hellyeah:

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno how this is a controversial statement now. I was all for giving Corbyn time, and while it's been clear that plenty of people in the PLP didn't agree with that, you can only play with the hand you've been dealt & Corbyn & his team have done a loving rubbish job. Labour are at their lowest point since 1983 now. Yes, there's mitigating circumstances, the press is garbage, but at the end of the day if you can't do better than Ed Miliband did with a barely less hostile press then what the gently caress is the point?

Well the point is that triggering Article 50 is sort of a turning point - this is where all the goodwill and optimism the Tories have been riding high on starts to get replaced with responses to what they're actually delivering, what the country is actually facing and how it falls short of what's been promised.

Labour had to spend a bunch of political capital positioning themselves to take advantage of this, so the polls are (in part) down to what's been happening on both sides, good for the Tories and bad for Labour. So you'd expect some sort of adjustment in the next few months (hopefully) as the negotiations take place and there's something specific to criticise, and the reality of what's going to happen starts to hit home

And if they're talking about September specifically, maybe there's something in the works? Is that when the leadership rule changes are meant to be passed?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tigey posted:

Yeah - I am getting the distinct feeling that May's honeymoon from the right wing/centrist media is now officially over now that Article 50's been triggered and its happening (rather than it being something everyone could project their own wishes/fantasies onto). Cold hard reality is beginning to set in and the number of negative articles are increasing.

Whilst the Mail/Express et al will happily go along with the inevitable "Vengeful Brussels/Germans/French STITCH UP BRITAIN!" narratives, I'm fairly confident they are also going to turn on May - nothing she can do in these negotiations (short of an all out nuclear attack on every EU capital) will be strong enough to satisfy them.

Well it's definitely gonna be a while before things really bite, even the first major disagreement will probably be painted as something that will be resolved by negotiating acceptable terms in other areas. David Davis will do his job of looking casual and cuddly and saying "everything will be fiiiiiine" and the right-wing press will push some DESPERATE EU TRIES TO BULLY BRITAIN angle

But at some point the broader deal will start to take shape, there'll be too many deflected questions and some of the bigger promises will look like they've been cut loose. A lot of people are going to be unhappy, and it'll be interesting to see how far the press takes things - I'm sure the Express would see the UK sinking beneath the waves in flames so long as the last person dies holding the immigrant door closed, but yeah it feels like some of the others would be really unhappy with some of the compromises that'll be made

It's gonna be a real shitshow though - get ready for a lot of chest-beating and Churchill analogies

Tesseraction posted:

Now that article 50 is triggered it's a case of which party is pushing for the better policies in the deal. Now, having watched that May interview on Wednesday be a total car crash I was hoping that Corbyn would stomp her in the rebuttal interview... but despite some strong moments he mostly just puttered on what should've been a slam dunk, especially given Brillo's obvious contempt for May.

I think he (and Labour in general) are trying to stay on message - not down on Brexit happening, wanting it to work out, but promising to hold the government to account over the specifics of the deal. At this stage it's probably counterproductive to suddenly move straight to 'this will be bad and the Tories are gonna gently caress it up'. Which is true, but they're trying to look objective and criticise the deal itself. They've sounded pretty aggressive on, like, the repeal bill

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Savage

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know it's only now, two decades later with people vehemently arguing that Labour is not supposed to be a leftist party, that I realise just how important changing Clause IV was and why the fight was quite so bloody at the time.

Not just the abandonment of the call for common ownership of the means of production - that specific form of words was always going to ring alarm bells - but the specifics of the new language. It calls for power, wealth and opportunity to be in the hands of "the many" - not "all", not "the people", not even "most", but "many". It sounds nice on the face but that is one hell of a detail to hide devils in, because it instantly allows you to split the people into deserving and undeserving, a massive psychic shift far more destructive to socialist principles than arguing over whether or not British Rail should come back.

And for anyone claiming that such a change was required to win (and those complaining the current shitshow is all the media's fault), Labour was born into a populace far more right-wing than we can even conceive now, with laws on the books that allowed them to be arrested simply for holding a meeting. They changed the entire political face of the country in less time than Thatcher was in power, and UKIP have proven that it is still entirely possible for this to be done in the modern age. The PLP#s intransigence hasn't helped but ultimately Corbyn has to shoulder the majority of the blame for not taking the fight to the Tories.

But doesn't this prove the need for Labour to reform itself? It's hard to take the fight to the Tories if your own party is sympathetic to them on a lot of issues. Corbyn's always said that one of his major goals is to change the party internally and open it up, to break the right's stranglehold on power and policy

They tried to shut him and his 'dangerous ideas' down from the beginning, and it's become a sort of an existential struggle between New Labour and the left wing. It's not like they're unified and ready to pull the country in the same direction, unlike UKIP who were pretty much just arguing over what amount of non-racism was acceptable

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

As cool as it would be if this was true, it's not. It's not just the Blairites that have been alienated by Corbyn. It's the soft left too. Which is a pretty big problem. Insurmountable without mass purging of MPs & frankly nothing Corbyn has shown me suggests he has the stomach for that.

Well I didn't mean it's exactly split that way, just that there's resistance to a socialist shift within the party itself, before you even start looking at convincing the public. The actual result has been this intentional war of attrition and yeah, a lot of left-wing people are giving up (or just don't think Corbyn is someone who can pull this off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Perpetual Corbyn Machine (new branding for Labour)

• Locked thread