Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lobok posted:

Even goon reviews, those most trusted and hallowed of all reviews, have to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm seeing it now with Doom. I was a tiny bit wary of playing it from criticism that it was going from arena to arena but now that I'm playing it I think about how similar these "arena" fights are to other games if I swapped it for something like "setpiece". And I'm noticing how much combat is actually spread all throughout the levels in areas of all shapes and sizes that could in no way be described as arenas. Not to mention how much "arena" combat there was in the original Doom games!

It's been a while since I played but DOOM still owns.

Cowcaster posted:

as it turns out getting video game recommendations from complete strangers on the internet that have been established completely independently of your own personal tastes and opinions is dumb as poo poo

:agreed: but it won't stop me from seeking them out:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yup. If it wasn't clear from my post, DOOM is everything I wanted and lots of things I never even knew I wanted.

I'm glad you're enjoying it :) I was stating that I still like the game and don't look back on it as "maybe it wasn't that good🤔" Not quoting you in particular.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

w-what about jizz

Well, zzz sometimes follows that so.....

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

:woop: Just got a platinum trophy, though it feels sort of empty because it was a really easy platinum, though at least I'm not one of those people that bought the game just because it was an easy plat.

Which game? As long as you had fun it doesn't matter :)

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies on Youtube is my favorite place to get reviews. They were formally GameTrailers. They gave Breath of the Wild on Switch a 4.5/5 with their only complaint being the real bad frame rate issues that they said they encountered throughout the entire 60 hours they played. They liked the survival mechanics, weapon durability, difficulty, dungeons, and graphics.

Oh dang, I didn't realize they were formally Gametrailers. Gonna have to check them out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

The Bunker. I bought it this week because it was on sale and I have a fondness for FMV games. It was alright. Nothing amazing but I don't feel ripped off either. Probably the quickest I've gone from buying a game to platting it.

:cool: The only game I can think of that people probably bought soley just for cheivos was the first (I think?) Avatar game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_v2-_kXQ8

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Is pig's blood a normal thing in makeup because it seems really weird to me that his go-to would be pig's blood and then bricking himself in the face instead of just getting a makeup artist

Maybe he didn't want to wait. Andrew W.K. just seems like the kinda guy who doesn't wait for something to happen. I don't know him personally tho.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL what is this wonderful game, some kind of Oregon Trail clone?

Deathroad to Canada and it kind of is a clone:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252610/

Think of a sillier version of Organ Trail with better controls and tense instead of frustrating gameplay.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Wtf that's the Moonwalk except it's going forwards

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lol, I never noticed that. Granted it's hard to notice the background in a fighting game but still, great little detail.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the only gears of war game i've played is gears of war 2 and it was a lot of fun and really goofy and it's weird to me that the series tried so hard to be serious when the best parts where when you were shooting enemies inside of a giant worm and everyone was shouting about being trapped in a giant worm and you escaped by using your chainsaw gun to chainsaw your way out of a giant worm, and not the parts where a character had to kill his wife because cliff bleszinski wanted to make a controversial political statement that would lose all meaning in a few years

Holy drat, in Gears 3 when friggin' Dominic sacrificed himself and "Mad World" started playing and everything was going in slow motion, I was thinking, "Seriously?"

I'm not spoiling because that story had thoroughly gone off the rails in that game and also I'm pretty sure no one cares in this thread.

I'm linking it look at this dumb BS also comedy option, I can't tell if the uploader was being ironic in their description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvDC9v5vyc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I laughed my arse off at how overwrought that scene was, it was fantastic.

It's also meant to be a callback to a trailer for the first game, for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8LRlS1SCc

I remember Mad World coming up a couple of times in the series' ads and I thought that was such a huge tonal whiplash, at least for me. I never saw the story as anything more than dumb dialogue between action scenes.

Lurdiak posted:

Also at one point there was a Gears of War official comic that claimed that there were some kind of "breeding camps" were women were enslaved to breed super soldiers, and while that kind of stuff could be justified in a horrific dystopian sci fi setting, I have no idea how it made its way into Gears of War as something the good guys do.

Oh yeah there was this dumb poo poo too, lol. Like they were trying to be a low rent 40,000K or something and even then Warhammer has nothing like that. At least I don't think so. That is a deep well of silly lore.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

raditts posted:

Gears multiplayer DM is one of the worst things I have ever played.

It was some of the slowest drat DM, also

Guy Goodbody posted:

the enemies and your allies have the exact same silhouette.

drove me up the dang wall.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My cat of 14 years died today. I'm afraid I will always associate this amazing Zelda game with the death of my cat.

plz dont pull out posted:

Putting my dog down next week. Fraid this gives me only one option to play at her dog funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

As humans, it is our curse that we have to outlive our animal companions but in return they bring so much joy to us. Our lives are further enhanced by them entering the story that is our life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3d266_QWw

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

At least Horizon is starting off amazing. Killzone at no point in time was ever good.

The portable versions of the games were good. KZ: Liberation was a solid tactical overhead shooter. KZ:Mercenary was a solid portable FPS. I played KZ 1-3 and they were pretty standard FPS games. Nothing extremely amazing except maybe multiplayer for 2 and 3 because there wasn't any online sci fi shootmans at the time. At least on PS3. And they might as well been regular military shooters because there wasn't anything really out there in terms of sci fi weaponry.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

plz dont pull out posted:

While we're posting rhythm game videos I'd just like to throw this out there cause it's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYy09D_jDo

:eyepop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

ID Software's first good game since Quake II (Doom) is without John Carmack is pretty funny to me. He is probably feeling pretty salty.

I'm not sure the man actually feels anything.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Thanks to the egg laying being tied to the frame rate the PS4 re-release turned chickens into egg factories.

Leon's pose really ties this all together

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, I'm an addict. I can get addicted to anything. But multiplayer twitch shooters take over my entire life. They coopt my entire brain reward system. With single player games, casual games, alcohol, drugs, tv shows, i can juggles those with the rest of my life.

But multiplayer twitch shooters on PC I can't do at the same time as being a functioning adult.

Like, this week I drank 15 liters of box wine and played about 60 hours of Horizon Zero Dawn, but I also aced a midterm and did a bunch of homework.

It's good to know what one's own hangups are and how to control them. I also have that addict's personality and I have to be careful with my own indulges.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Seriously I wish I could have recorded every weird bug I've encountered playing this game because it's honestly incredible Rise of the Tomb Raider shipped with so many. I mean luckily the game is fun and the story is cool and I think Lara is a badass and the game is quite pretty. But man some of these bugs. The amount of times the camera has gotten stuck zoomed in after a brief cutscene, or the numerous times Lara gets stuck in the walking slow phase from said cutscenes and there's no way out of it without killing yourself (you can't shoot or run or anything when this happens).

Probably the weirdest bug I've encountered was one near what I assume is the end of the game, where i had to time my drop from a spinning ledge onto another small spinning ledge. I guess I jumped too early or something and it accidentally triggered... SOMETHING and I proceeded to fall really slowly as if there wasn't much gravity. She then landed but didn't land, as she kept her falling animation and slid around this ledge. I couldn't run or jump or attack or anything. I had to slowly slide myself off the side and fall to my death. The fall to my death was in slow motion and the fade to black before the loading screen came up ALSO was in slow motion. :confused:

edit: This game isn't Witcher 3 pretty, but drat if it doesn't do the "extended shot of awesome poo poo in the distance" really well:

I played from start to finish through that game and didn't encounter anything you're describing or any bugs for that matter. The game is good and very nice looking though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

In Training posted:

Quake Champions is free to play and you earn in game currency to unlock other characters...but the unlock is a game time limited rental. Modern gaming ftw

Hang on there. You can buy the Champion Pack and get them all permanently as reported here (:lol: the headline):

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/03/13/quake-champions-free-to-play/

I admit, I don't think it's going to do the game any favors

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

if there was an Ouya device that only pumped out a new megaman game every 3 months would you kickstart it

There was something like this already:

http://www.otonx.com

Lol, surprise! It wasn't allowed on Kickstarter because you had to have a working prototype. Also, surprise #2 (heh :nexus:) it sounds like a load of bullshit.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/10/3833080/oton-autonomous-game-console-crowdfunding

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

My friend here would like to have a word with you

That game owned so hard. The remake being PS4 exclusive has me on the tipping point for getting a PS4.

FirstAidKite posted:

Horse Steppin from Hotline Miami is a real good chill song.

It is! The title track for Hotline Miami 2 is also very chill. Both are very "calm before the storm" considering the gameplay of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-olf3xtixU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The G.G. Shinobi games were decent if a little utilitarian but I guess that describes a lot of portable titles from that era.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Daaaayum, Gargamel's got some sweet dance moves.

Lol, that's as unexpected as the drat dance offs from Star Wars Kinect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Earth Table posted:

I can't play House of the Dead 2 without cracking up at the voice acting and all the incredibly stupid poo poo.

But it's also really rad light gun shooter so it's certainly not a G1/F5.

Yeah, that game hits you with it RIGHT from the word go. Just in case someone hasn't experienced it (doubtful):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vE5vbx04E

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cyron posted:

so i can make a video where i throw dildos and say we should try to commit real crime of shoplifting due to youtube drama? because that what he said 4 weeks ago. he deserve more then ddos, he deserve to be in jail.

Post it here when you do, pls.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

a lot of people are idiots

:hai:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I posted about the Furi DLC in the Steam thread and no one even noticed, I figured people just stopped caring about the game or something. Or maybe I'm a bad enough poster that everyone has me on ignore. :(

I definitely feel this way sometimes about my own posting but then I remember the mantra :justpost:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like people take special pleasure in BioWare schadenfreude compared to other big companies releasing bad games. I remember what the thread here was like for Dragon Age II

I remember someone was going to do a screenshot LP Dragon Age 2 and there was so much vitriol and venom in the thread that it got shutdown and locked. There was a successful video LP done for it though. By "successful" I mean that it managed to be finished.

https://lparchive.org/Dragon-Age-II/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, I can't stop listening to that Dropmix gameplay, even with them talking over it. This is fresher than some actual professional remixes (timestamped)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o&t=202s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o&t=688s

:yeah:

I listened to the whole thing earlier and I really want to see the final incarnation of it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ay Dios mio:

https://youtu.be/O9mHJJcyasU

Edit: Argh video tags are messing up

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 17, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Only SNIPERS can use detective mode to figure out how other SNIPERS did the SNIPING, also QUAD NIGHTVISION GOGGLES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94QS_jQhofU

Wtf, it must be better than plan ol' night vision, right? Reminds me of Spectre from Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:same:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I see the Ministry of Silly Walks has lasted well into the future.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

precision posted:

It would be super if Suda51 would actually make a game again instead of doing bong rips and saying "write this down... roguelike... dark souls... Uncle Death... troma films... butts"

This sounds like it owns tho

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

precision posted:

Let it Die does in fact own but I want a proper Suda game again someday

Too true.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Welp, it looks like people are starting to harass and threaten Mass Effect Andromeda animators and devs being mistaken for animators. It was fun to joke about it while it lasted

Goddam, gamers are the worst sometimes.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sounds like that subpar release really had a harass effect.

I'll see myself out

Case in point

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I'm a monster because I think Journey is overrated. It's probably because my roommate at the time loved it and told me it was going to be the greatest thing I've ever played etc etc and when I finally got around to it I thought it was just okay.

Oof. I like Journey alot but I try not to get other people's expectations to high for any game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

This is great and the nose from offscreen is a clincher

Guy Mann posted:

I was going to post the actual poster for Rolling Thunder in solidarity, but then I found this and :laffo:

It belongs in a museum!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

BexGu posted:

cams has not really been taking people making fun of ME:A very well.

Who's cams?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Some really cool guy uploaded literally all of nintendo power magazine in incredibly high res scans on an easy to navigate site last year, and it took I think 3 days for Nintendo of America to shut it down.

At least I was able to save this amazing cover.

Don't doxx me pls.

It's a drat shame that archive got taken down. I know it's "protection of IP" but goddam. Nintendo isn't doing anything with Nintendo Power right now, right?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

oddium posted:

i recognize all of them but the eagle with a shotgun which might be an eu4 flag. it was easy once i realized it's alphabetical

If your talking about the one next to Starfox, that's State of Decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Compared to the importance of the other games and franchises in that list, that one seems like an outlier

Yeah it's weird. Maybe it was included because of the stylish logo? Prototype 2 is in there and that also is an outlier and the logo isn't even stylized :argh:

CJacobs posted:

"RAAAAHHHH :buddy:" - Ryder, Mass Effect: Andromeda, 2017

Lady Ryder always looks like she's smirking.

• Locked thread