Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Even in my criteria, I left room for that. There's give and take between categories. I also explicitly said many of those categories are subjective and the implementation doesn't have to be 100% flawless in literally every respect.

In any case, if you want to have a discussion about flaws in LBW, I'm game. What were the flaws in game design that brought it down for you? Maybe you can swing my opinion about it.

Hell, I love LBW. I've finished it like half a dozen times and I think it's one of my favorite games ever. but here are just a few of its major flaws:

A) It is absurdly easy, basically impossible to die on after a certain point, and the 'hard' mode is locked behind finishing the game.
B) The dungeons are designed around specific items and as such have a massive constraint on how puzzles can be designed because it can never assume you have access to specific items, especially since you can lose items by dying.
C) The game's ease covers a massive flaw in that it overly punishes unskilled players by forcing them to grind money upon death or savescum just to advance the game.If you have genuinely bad players they're at risk of getting trapped into a constant grinding-losing-grinding cycle. If it was a harder game it would suffer badly for having a bad punishment cycle and it only gets around it by being so easy 90% of players probably die fewer than 3 times in the entire game. Connected to this is that the game is also absurdly over-generous with rupees because it has to compensate for that other 10% and so anyone even remotely good at the game probably has more rupees than the game gives you anything to buy with.
D) It's world map and general design is a straight rehash of LTTP and while it does enough to remain different it's hard to avoid that it only is a hair away from being the New Super Mario Bros of Zelda. This stands out most with Lorule which is just a budget knockoff of the Dark World and has very little original design to it, choosing instead to just limply repeat areas from the Dark World despite that making no real sense. It's actually very lacking in design creativity, pushing heavily on nostalgia to cover that fact. (And sometimes even relying on nostalgia to cover the fact it's doing a more normal thing, like how the Blind-knockoff boss is actually just a real boss and you genuinely save a girl instead of it being a trick.)

It's still an amazing game and one which I think is genuinely wonderful but I don't think it's perfect or even close, discounting glitches or other flaws. I don't think it's wrong for someone to give it a 10/10 though because the flaws I mentioned are serious to some people (especially the game's ease/locking away of Hero Mode which a lot of people have complained about) but that doesn't mean they're serious to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

B is a given for many open games (and recurs in other Zelda games even) but I never actually considered C. That's a really good point about how the game could lock a very poor player into a lock cycle. Like you pointed out, the game does compensate for that by giving out tons of rupees. But, fair points.

To be fair, I started this out by saying I was surprised BotW had such universal acclaim (not that any one person gave it a 10) and I think I know why because of something RealHurthling said. The sound design is weak. That is one of those categories that has a really strong effect on me. It's why I have a hard time hating on Phil Fish too much, it's why I love Final Fantasy despite a lot of constant problems with it, it's why I loved Horizon despite some really glaring flaws, and it's why Xenoblade Chronicles X quickly evaporated from my memory, since the horrifically bad sound design sort of poisoned everything. It's definitely a big part of big "x factor" in how I rate things in my head.

That''s fair, and I think that's a totally valid reason to dislike the game. I absolutely wasn't saying there is anything wrong with disliking Zelda at all and I think there's a good bunch of reasons to dislike it even without taking sound design into account.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever seen a soft reboot of a video game universe that didn't expend that good will by endlessly pandering to fans of the original thing? Neither have I

... Mortal Kombat 9?"

Like even if you, personally, don't like it it pretty much revived the franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah if you didn't like Limbo you won't like that. The ending is like watching a cool scary movie but then suddenly the last 15 minutes ends with everyone being chased by a monster or something, it just abandons any pretence at subtlety.

Pretty much this. It's like the Silent Hill movie where it goes from atmospheric to violent grossout gore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

If you want to feel sick, click on that tweet and look at his responses to criticism. I'm not sure he's going to be employable by any reputable organization now that he's plunging hard into white nationalist apologia.

You and I both know that isn't true anymore. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

I have a friend looking to buy a console for his 8 year old, I was thinking PlayStation, because that's what I'm familiar with and it seems like PS4 is doing way better than xbox these days. He thinks Xbox might be better for kids.

Is there any reason xbox would be better for a kid besides it being cheaper?

Not a tall. The X-Box's exclusives are all almost M-rated titles. As far as kid-friendly goes the best choice is a Nintendo system but after that X-Box and PS4 are about the same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yakuza 0 all day ery day

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That cat is dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

John Walker's review of Hollow Knight is one of the most insipid bits of ~games journalism~ I've read in a while, so I'm inclined to believe that he's actually a huge stupid idiot.

No, you say "get it because it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built" you dumb gently caress, what kind of opening statement is this supposed to be? Like I know getting mad about video games is a dumb way to be but holy poo poo this guy's writing is so bad it legitimately makes me kind of angry.

That really isn't what they appear to be saying there at all. (Just from your quote, I don't know about the rest of their review.")

"Why does this game deserve your money over the existing and already available games that do the same thing" is a question that comes up a lot. Games are good but if a game genuinely doesn't do anything special, remarkable or noteworthy it can be hard to write about because, yes, at the end of the day it comes down to saying "This is a fun game to play but only if you haven't played better games in the game genre already." Which sounds like a criticism but it isn't. There are plenty of "strictly B" games that get overlooked simply because the honest truth is that unless you've already burned through a lot of games in the same genre you can probably spend your time on a better version of the same basic gameplay.

(That said I don't think that's a bad thing and I think people over-criticize games for not being literally genre-defining.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 15, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

He gives a reason why to play the game in that quote. Unless "it's a gorgeous, beautiful game" doesn't count as an endorsement.

To be honest? "It's a gorgeous and beautiful game" isn't as strong an endorsement as it could be, no. Between unique artstyles, impressive graphics and genuinely strong visual design there are plenty of games that have a strong visual presence. It's certainly something that would make me want to play the game but it's also fair to say there's a difference between "makes me want to play the game" and "makes me want to buy the game right away." You, I and everyone in this thread have backlogs of games, some probably dozens of titles long. For something to push past a backlog of games there generally has to be more to say about it than "it's fun to play and has nice visuals" because, again, most of us probably have five or six games minimum that fit that statement and the only reason to spend money on another is because we're hording games for later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

But it's a stupid loving question when the opening line of your review literally heaps praise on the game in question. Why does the game deserve your money? Because in the man's own words it's it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built. That's bad writing, sorry. For what it's worth the rest of the review isn't much better, he makes a couple salient points but it's buried in a lot of meandering bullshit and fawning over Ori and the Blind Forest.

You're taking that as heaping praise but to me it doesn't come across as such. I don't think 'solidly built' is particularly gushing and neither do I find 'genuinely good' to be so. There exists a realm between "this is FANTASTIC" and "this is utter poo poo" and that is where it seems to lay to me. "This is a good game you'll probably enjoy if you play it" isn't exactly foaming at the mouth with praise at least to me.

I should note that I think "this is a fun game and you'll probably enjoy it if you play it" applies to a lot of stuff that people in this forum tend to go full hyperbole talking about how utterly insanely lovely and unplayable it is. I don't know about Walker but I think a lot of people tend to shove games into "they're good and you should buy them now" or "they're bad and horrible and poo poo" boxes and I don't think that works. Any quick glance at, for example, the indie lineups on any of the consoles will show a lot of games that are probably pretty darn good experiences that just aren't exceptional enough to be truly remembered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I expect at the end of the day ME:A will probably be pretty average more than hilariously bad, except insomuch in the ways that all Bioware stuff is hilariously bad. It'd be nice if it was exceptional but that just seems unlikely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It's amazing that people managed to somehow enjoy the original Deus Ex in the dark years before you needed a minigame for hacking and lockpicking.

Hacking that is just 'press button : win" is really boring. I played Deus Ex that way but I certainly didn't go "oh boy I can't wait to hack, it's so fun," especially because the time limit meant that I was either looking for passwords anyway or copy-pasting emails to read awkwardly. The fun part of hacking in DE was what it let you do,not the actual gameplay, and finding a way to make hacking more engaging and interesting is a good thing.

Making it sudoku is probably not the solution there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Looking forward to learning more about the mysterious Precursors in Mass Effect: Andromeda! Can't wait to see how they measure up to the mysterious Protheans, the mysterious Reapers, the mysterious lost Elf civilisation, the ancient evil Tevinter wizards, the mysterious ancient dwarves, the mysterious spirit monks, the mysterious primordial evil from that one Jade Empire sidequest, the mysterious etc etc etc....

I never played Baldur's Gate, what's ancient and evil in that

"Ancient civilization" is pretty much Every Single RPG On The Planet unfortunately. Even the Witcher has its ancient relics and ancient swords and ancient lost magic.

Someday I'd like a RPG with an ancient civlization that is just lovely and crap and you find swords there that are piles of rear end compared to what you already use because modern civilization has metal working.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give me Donald Duck's Quackshot or go to hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The golden age of licensed tie-ins basically mean that while a lot of poo poo got made you could have talented developers creating good games that just vaguely happened to be tied to whatever the license was and they'd get funding for it because of the license. Now we're in the era where it's cheaper and more profitable to slap Elsa's face on a match 3 game and call it a day

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

why do zelda fans care so much about a numbers out of 10

it reminds me of when jeff gerstmann gave twilight princess an 8.8 and got death threats

Believe you me, it isn't just Zelda fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I asked this question earlier. Like I guess people get angry about Mario or Final Fantasy reviews too but Zelda seems to bring out this concerted knives-out rage in people

Nah. It's basically based off the size and popularity but this stuff happens with every single game. You hear about it more with stuff like Zelda because Zelda has more fans and thus more crazy people than whatever else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What other fandoms are you thinking of, ImpAtom?

Pretty much any one. There are generally two kinds of crazy-rear end fans:

A) The ones who want to hate something and go batshit when it gets any kind of positive response
B) The ones who want to love something and go batshit when it gets any kind of negative response.

I've seen it with Resident Evil, with Final Fantasy, with Pokemon, with Super Robot Wars. I personally gotten death threats (admittedly ignorable ones which I don't give a poo poo about) when I criticized Assassin's Creed 1 before the game even came out. Fans are crazy when hype or anti-hype comes into play.

People get crazy about games that have either big hype expectations or big failure expectations about them. They get really crazy invested in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I refuse to believe that there are asscreed superfans.

I just thought it was a generic geek Funko bait property, the game is too vanilla for somebody to care strongly about it.

I don't know if there are Assassin's Creed megafans now but I'm talking about the original Assassin's Creed which was a mega-hype thing. People were super excited about it and it had a metric shitload of push behind it and people were genuinely expecting it to redefine gaming entirely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

um the main character has always been Desmond

Desmond died half the series ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

forming a life long bond of friendship with blue eyes white dragon

According to a friend of mine apparently the plot is that that dude was an ancient egyptian in a previous life whose waifu turned into a dragon and the cards represent his eternal magic bond with his dead waifu.

I am never entirely sure when my friend is bullshitting me about YGO but I assume the answer is never.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TWEWY is fun but going back to it I found I just didn't enjoy the combat that much. I think I just don't like touch screen movement controls. I found the earlier parts of the game a lot better than I remembered going in aware of the context though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My bad hot take: A game that you enjoy is a good game. A game that you don't is a bad game.

That makes no sense to me. I don't enjoy wrestling games at all but that doesn't mean all wrestling games are bad and I wouldn't ever say they are.

Like even if you don't personally enjoy a game to think literally every game you don't enjoy is bad is weird not in the least because nobody likes every genre and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rightly laugh at someone who went "You know, Undertale is bad, it doesn't have enough shotguns" or "DOOM 2016 is bad because I can't befriend the monsters."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should laugh at them, those are pretty useless critiques. It still doesn't mean that Doom or UnderTale are "objectively good games".

That doesn't have anything to do with the comment that a game you dislike is bad though. There's a lot of room to discuss design and mechanics and graphics and general stability and plot execution and even if you don't agree with one or all of those you can discuss it rather than going "I like/dislike something so it's good/bad!" I know people who genuinely enjoyed Sonic 2006 but wouldn't be dumb enough to say that it's good because they liked it because even if you enjoy 2006 you can admit it's poorly optimized, glitchy and has a storyline revolving around hedgehog/human love. (The last of which may or may not be a flaw if you're someone who is into that but whatevs.)

There's no Objective Perfect Game but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of room to discuss what something does well or poorly even if you personally don't enjoy what it does well or think it does something poorly but it hits the right mental spot for you anyway.

MinibarMatchman posted:

the 2k games are objectively horrible though but you can have fun with them trying to make monstrosities and constantly glitching I suppose

Oh, I'm sure, I just meant in general. There are super-lovely wrestling games out there for sure.

Yeah, actually, I agree with this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People cared more about Ebert's opinion of video games than Ebert cared about video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's definitely the most divisive part of the game.

Yeah and it isn't like it's bad or anything. It's well-designed touch screen movement controls. I just don't like 'em. Not a gamebreaker or anything but kinda puts a little damper on it for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonic Team didn't make Boom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'll find out tomorrow but it has 252.6k views and ad rate on my other videos is usually .0011 per view so that would translate to ~$277, the one hitch is that its only 15 seconds and so it might have a lower ad rate as a result, since minutes watched plays a huge role

Even if it's half that it's a hell of a boon for a 15 second video.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the social links in Persona 5 is literally based around beating a hardcore gamer at video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I watched CJacobs stream of Death Road to Canada and now I think I have to buy it, it looks insanely fun

That is because it is. It's well worth the cost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I mean I guess nothing that Shepard does or did will have an impact on this story, so.

Considering that people aren't melded with their iPads that was sort of necessary by default

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

KH3 has taken so long.

Entire fandom groups have risen and fallen without the final chapter to close the door on things.

Cosplay groups dedicated to dressing up as Kingdom Hearts characters were forced to find other IPs to pursue because of how long it's taken Kingdom Hearts 3 to come out.

Kingdom Hearts has had new entries in the franchise on a regular basis including a prequel which is basically as much a KH3 as KH3 will end up being. It isn't like nothing has come out between KH2 and KH3.

Edit: Like for good or ill KH3 has a ton of poo poo that is going to assume you played through the prequel and sequel games outside of KH2. Otherwise you're gonna have no loving idea who the poo poo these Aqua/Ventus/Terra people are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Do Organization XIII cosplay groups still show up regularly at conventions or has that become drastically less of a thing over time?

Like is most of the Kingdom Hearts representation now mostly just Aqua, Terra and Ventus like ImpAtom said?

I don't really follow it but I know there was some big KH cosplay thing for a Disney Infinity event not long before it shut down so someone out there is into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Earwicker posted:

starting a thread in this forum seems like a bit more complex job than in a normal forum, like you need to be an expert on the game & series and make special graphical headers & lists of resources and poo poo. I like SE4 a lot so far but I'm only halfway through and its my first game in the series, I'm not sure I'm really qualified..

You don't have to do that stuff. People do because they like to, not because it's obligated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a weird reinforcement effect when something gets a negative response where it keeps echoing upon itself so it gets worse and worse and worse until people are unironically pissed off and angry and wanting to attack someone. I don't get it at all but ME isn't the first thing it happened to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

I should probably stop playing Nier for the day. But i just fought this Crazy Thing, then went to a Weird Place and fought A Jerk and i need to know what happens next!

I'm still in the first route, how can so many of you have completely finished it already? Madness.

The best part of it is that there are like 5 different things that could be what you're talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Also apparently uploading that caused my Switch to freeze, so that was great.

Did it take longer than 2 minutes and 58 seconds? Because if so I think I know why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I think it's fine to believe a game is just okay. A lot of titles that people think are amazing are in reality just okay, gamers have very low standards.

Praytell, I Said Come In, what game do you think is amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I usually don't want these kinds of things, but I think I want a "Donald Trump's America" mod for Papers Please.

I'm honestly pretty shocked it doesn't exist.

• Locked thread