Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm having a small procedure done on Friday which is going to take me out of commission for a couple weeks. It's gonna be me, pain meds, and Zelda all day :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I really like finding a side boss in zelda that I'm way under equipped for and have to struggle to beat but it also makes me kinda sad because I know I'll have just as many situations that are stupidly easy because I waited too long to challenge them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm really looking forward to playing horizon zero dawn but I feel like zelda is spoiling me for other open worlds. It's made me notice how much other open worlds just serve as eye candy when really all that matters is you and whatever you're fighting. In breath of the wild though, weather matters because wet cliffs are harder to climb and rain masks the sound of your footsteps. A large mountain actually causes you to reevaluate your route. A windy day can make your projectile less predictable.

The closest open world I've seen was mgsv's and I still think Zelda's has it handily beat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I decided to head to the first dungeon (well, my first one anyways) in zelda and it took me a full real life day just to GET there. Making it past deadly enemies, getting sidetracked by interesting looking sites, climbing hills, and dealing with hostile weather.

This game rules. The world they've built is incredible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat another dungeon in zelda. i'm starting to worry about the amount of uniquely themed dungeon content in the game. they have all been cool but really short and easy. the approach to the dungeon was like 3-4 times longer than the dungeon itself.

Ya know, I've been thinking the same thing. The dungeon content seems pretty thin and the shrines range from "mind-numbingly easy" to "just barely brain-tickling" but I think it's ok. It reminds me of when Majora's Mask came out and people were saying "there's only four dungeons?! That's like half as many as Ocarina, this game sucks!"

Nintendo has never been afraid to experiment with Zelda and the measure of ingredients they put into the pot, so to speak. If dungeons being reeled way back on are what it costs to have a more fully realized and beautiful Hyrule than we've ever had before, I'm totally ok with that. There will be more dungeons and more Zelda games, I just want them to keep experimenting and not be afraid to push the series in different directions.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It may just be selection bias but I also think a lot of criticism on video games tends to skew in a negative direction. Too much "here's why this game is racist/sexist" and not enough "here's how this game portrays people or issues well and what the industry can learn from it. "

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I had fun with skyward sword, and look back on it more favorably than twilight princess even though I know it's a worse game. At least they tried something new.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I found everything related to wolf link awful.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't agree at all. If anything, Skyward Sword was the game that was the most constrained by the pile of formulas the series had accumulated up to that point.

I actually found the motion controlled combat to be a lot of fun and a nice twist on the formula (when it worked). And the world was interesting and colorful even if they didn't do a whole lot with it. I still fondly remember doing combat trials for the dragon and exploring skyloft. Plus it had a great supporting cast. Twilight Princess felt incredibly bland.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished Breath of the Wild. That was a wild ride. I'd still say I like Majora's Mask a little more as a package and Wind Waker comes in right behind BotW, but that's more speaking to how incredible those two games are than taking anything away from Breath.

Major complaint would be that it lacks interesting characters. A few are standouts (Sidon) but overall the story and characters didn't hold up to something like Wind Waker.

It's a massively impressive game though, and really redefines what an open world game can be.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Assassin's Creed 1 was kinda lame but felt SUPER unique and promising at the time. Then Assassin's Creed 2 dropped and it felt like a loving miracle. I maintain that Assassin's Creed 2 is the single most impressive example of really delivering on the potential of a series.

Ever since then it's been on a steady decline (with the exception of Black Flag which was a lot of fun). I still have a place in my heart for the series, and hopefully they can turn it into something entertaining again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I wish I could have the same reaction as the people goin fuckin nuts in the audience, but I don't really like the Sonic Is A Race Car games because it feels like I'm just watching them instead of playing :(

The 3d levels in generations were actually surprisingly good because they had a ton of alternate paths and shortcuts. A couple of them were rear end but they're more engaging than you'd think and were a lot of fun to time trial.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Oh do you get to see the average length of time people watch your video? I've always been interested in knowing how often people actually reach the end versus how many views it has

Yeah, apparently youtube has a bunch of useful metrics like that. I haven't seen them myself but apparently you can see "x people tend to stop watching at this point, while y people stop watching at this point."

That way you can determine what does and doesn't keep people's interest.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I can recreate the entire wind waker overworld theme in my head and am, in fact, doing it now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to thank Sapienza for teaching me how to play Hitman: the objective is not to stealth around the level and use quicksaves/loads to get myself out of scrapes, the objective is to have fun, and if that means taking potshots at everyone I meet with bricks, and learning how to escape from all of the guards in a level....then it's working!

...So I just went back to Paris and had a ball pulling off the challenge where I shoot the target while he's on the runway, and the one where I snap the lady's neck while she's fixing her laptop. I actually did it without much in the way of savescumming and it was fun and arghh I love this game!

The scoring system is the absolute worst part of Hitman because it encourages the player to be really boring and precise. Hitman is best when you're pushing the silly world to its limit and seeing how many people you can brain with a baseball bat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It definitely has some grade-a sound design and physics for the melee takedowns. I hit a guy in the back of the head while he was standing in front of a granite sink and as he went down his jaw snapped into the granite. Have fun at the dentist tomorrow, buddy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been getting poo poo sleep all week and had a really long day at work, but new Gorillaz dropped today so it's still a good fuckin day :cool:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The 4 songs they released today were more Demon Days than Plastic Beach (which I love) so if that's what you want I think you'll be happy. And they're actually pleasant to listen to, unlike Hallelujah Money. Check their YouTube page.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ascension is my favorite of the new stuff

https://youtu.be/hBA0PUQCvIA

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Plastic Beach is my favorite album because I have to listen to all of it. I can't just listen to one song. I listend to some of the new Gorillaz song samples and Andromeda is loving great.

Ya know the stuff on their channel are full songs right? Not just the samples that leaked the other day.

Also, yeah Plastic Beach kicks rear end. I'd say Sweepstakes is the one song that sticks out to me as not being incredible, and even then it's still a pretty fun listen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I basically loved every minute of Horizon Zero Dawn and am glad it ended up being more than just competent because I feel like it was a game made specifically for me. I'm not that far into Nier but it's not gripping me in the same way quite yet, I think I'll pick it back up after the new Diablo season. I'm sure Zelda is great too but probably not gonna play it realistically speaking.

I think it's unfortunate that I started playing Horizon immediately after Zelda. On paper, Horizon is an extremely good game. I really like the combat, it's hard and thrilling and I like that there are enemies in the world that you pretty much have to avoid until you're ready to take them on. The graphics are also extremely pretty obviously. That said, I find the actual traversal and exploration incredibly boring compared to Zelda. The named locations are big and impressive but once you're there for a few minutes my brain goes into "video game mode" and I'm just trying to complete my objective so I can move on. I was just so absorbed in Zelda's world. The terrain, the weather, the sense of adventure, it all feels vibrant and alive in a way I've never experienced in an open-world game before, including Horizon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

I decided to get Twilight Princess HD because it's a Zelda game I haven't given a fair shot. I find myself wishing that they'd gone for a colorful aesthetic like Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild so that the Twilight sections would look even more alien. I do really love the geometric, black-and-neon Twilight aesthetics, though.

Yeah I have several problems with TP but the major one is definitely the color palette, and that's something a remaster can't fix. It's like there's a grey filter over everything, not pleasant. It's so odd that that's the direction they chose to take immediately after the vibrant world of wind waker.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

They wanted to play up the maturity of zelda/nintendo. Development probably started around the same time they were trying to make resident evil gamecube exclusive and a bunch of other moves like that.

Yeah, I get that impression. There's a lot of close ups of wolf link looking REAL MAD and poo poo like that. Glad Nintendo figured out that their series about a dude wearing a green dress fighting ancient evils didn't have to be so grim.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Also I don't understand why "more mature Zelda" necessarily has to translate to "muted color palette" but I suppose it was the age of your gears of war and such.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's almost 2 am and this video made me laugh really hard so I'm gonna post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-KGRjOM08

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My friends and I somehow managed to get 8 people we know irl into a game of L4D2 last night and it reminded me of how freakin fun that versus mode is, especially when everyone is just goofing off. I hope they release another one!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think not understanding spoiler-avoidance is way stranger. I like to feel these things called emotions when I engage with media: shock, joy, sadness, those sorts of things. It's hard to do so when you know every detail of the plot beforehand.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

oddium posted:

cowcaster what are you five favorite games. mine are mgs3/majora's mask/nuclear throne/star fox 64/sonic adventure 2

Curious, what puts nuclear throne so high for you? I beat it once and it's a lot of fun but I wish it had some more variety since on a surface level pretty much every run is the same save for which mutations you pick (and there aren't even that many mutations)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

After playing Colorado some more in Hitman, I don't think the level deserves the hate it gets. I like it better than Bangkok. My biggest issue is probably that the main mission forces you to take the same exit every time, so I'm not completing any of the alternate exit challenges :argh:

I think Colorado is really cool as a concept, it's just sorta small and doesn't mesh together that well. Still a really good level though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Steam is a pretty well designed program to manage my games and it's a standard which is nice but it's been both of those things for about a decade. I have nothing nice to say about Valve anymore. They're like bioware in that they haven't been doing anything interesting in like a decade but for some reason people still expect them to deliver.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I watched One Punch Man. That there is some good anime.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Serf posted:

I liked FF12. I enjoyed setting up my gambits in such a way that I could go make a sandwich while my party did the fight for me. That's not really the spirit of the game, I know, but it was neat. Also the story was pretty interesting and it was a crazy good looking game for the PS2.

This reminds me of my friend who loves playing Bravely Default because it "automates combat so he can do something else."

If the best feature in a game is that it removes the need to engage with the gameplay, maybe the gameplay is bad?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Total War: Warhammer 2 trailer dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm not much for the genre but Warhammer is a bunch of fun. I've played as every race now except for the dwarves. Currently doing a campaign with my friend as the Orcs and they're an absolute blast. Ransack towns, eat captives, recruit giants.

I'm especially excited for Dark Elves. I am not super familiar with tabletop Warhammer lore but I read up on them and they're basically the standard trope of magic-wielding high elves only they don't give a poo poo about anything other than murder.

• Locked thread