Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I finally finished Witcher 3 after almost 2 years of playing on and off. It was pretty good overall but I didn't like any of the main quest involving Ciri in the slightest. All the side quests were pretty fantastic and basically the main thing keeping it interesting.

In terms of main story and characters I still like Witcher 2 way, way better. It's just a much tighter and far more interesting package. Hell, I even like Witcher 1's story better.

This month I hope to finally play Total Warhammer now that I actually have room on my SSD to put it. Dunno which race to try first, my Dark Omen sense is telling me I need to play whichever race gets to drop meteors on peoples heads though.

Stellaris 1.5 looks like it's full of really good stuff but also sounds like they aren't addressing ship combat/design or ground troops yet. So maybe I'll just keep it on the shelf until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, the devs are looking to fix that stuff, but yeah, not in this update. Up to you if you want to play the new update when it hits.

Yeah IIRC they said that's the focus of the next big patch and expansion. All the new content looks great so I'm really looking forward to however they manage to clean up the combat systems and related things.

Probably just gonna wait and play XCom2 and Warhams in the mean time though. Thank you Humble Monthly, for doing bad things to my backlog.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

quote:

Hard Core Mode is a new difficulty setting for the main “Shantae” mode in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. This mode is designed to provide an old-school, tough-as-nails challenge to players who miss the days of rage-quitting and throwing controllers.
What to expect in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero HARD CORE MODE:
  • Pain and suffering!
  • Harder hitting enemies!
  • Faster enemy patterns!
  • Faster scroll speeds!
  • Remixed enemy locations, and more of ‘em!
  • New Boss patterns, attacks, and stats!
  • Healing Items capped at six!
  • Re-balanced magic items!
  • Poor Shantae!

I'm very okay with this.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Im hoping risky mode is just those levels with Pirates Curse movement because it would be fun to speed run.

Apparently she's getting a bunch of custom content so the levels won't be entirely the same even if they largely are. I'm kind of more interested in finding out how Sky or Bolo are going to play though.

Hardcore mode sounds really good but I hope they end up adding it for all of the playable characters and not just basic Shantae.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dewgy posted:

It's a down-jump from like the first room if I'm remembering right. You can even see where it was supposed to be in the PSX version, but I forget if that spot is exit-only or not.

That's where the entrance is yeah, right at the very start of the game. You have to enter the Lab area first before it opens up.

The other Saturn area is on the bottom route of the Marble Gallery, it just acts as a junction between two map pieces and is pretty pointless though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Start to bring up the menu, then hit L.

Saturn version is kinda rough by comparison to the PSX version. I actually like the Underground Garden but it does feel entirely pointless and tacked on.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Ah thank you! Handy to know. The one thing it has over PSX version is Maria mode which was fun to try out but doesn't feel very essential either

Yeah she's pretty much in line with Richter mode just being outrageously overpowered but kind of entertaining to play as once in a while.

It's been a while but don't you only have to fight Maria on the Saturn version as well?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well I guess that Shantae HGH Hard mode came out. Best I can tell the only thing they actually changed is making you take 4x as much damage and enemies have 2x as much health. Pikeball still broken. Crabs kill you in a single hit. Game doesn't save after cutscenes or loads.

Yeah in retrospect I guess that's about what I should have expected from Wayforward trying to do "difficulty".

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Confession: I've played a great many SNES games, but Actraiser has never been one of them. I should definitely rectify that.

It has a boring and shallow simulation mode and the platforming sections are pretty simple, but decent. It really survives by the gimmick of it being the two modes being linked to each other, and having a really solid soundtrack. But either mode in particular is pretty weak compared to other games.

You should definitely play it though because it's not very long or difficult and it's a unique experience.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

raditts posted:

Both of those things were good by 1991 console standards though.

Yeah it was fantastic when it came out. I was mainly commenting on it 'holding up', which I don't think the sim sections really do at all.

Turbo makes it pretty tolerable though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Palpek posted:

Everybody list your game-graphics shock moments:

First time seeing Super Mario Bros 1, it was on a friend's big screen TV. Their TV was bigger than me :v:

Doom was another pretty big one because up until that point I had been living off of Wolf3D running on a 286, in that tiny postage stamp sized window.

The return to 120Hz+ after a decade or so of the shitheap that was 60Hz high persistence LCD monitors is probably the biggest one as of lately.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

got any sevens posted:

Is there anything that might scratch this itch?

Did you try EU4 instead of CK2? It's still a bit fiddly at times but it's got a hell of a lot less busywork and a pretty decent balance of building/development and war. Still needs a lot of time investment to learn all the systems, but they feel a lot more interesting and meaningful and less obnoxious in general than CK2, and the core style of the game is about running a country and not about herding cats.

You could also look at something like Thea: The Awakening, which is more similar to something like King of Dragon Pass, but it does have town/resource management, building, research, combat, and story elements.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rexroom posted:

Hey guys I think the new Mass Effect game might be good they really took the series to a new direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUilV_oemg

Did they license the face tech that Oblivion used or what the gently caress is going on here

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

The origin rerelease on PS4 made me think about Ys again so I'm replaying all the Vita ones (except I won't play 7 again because I don't remember particularly enjoying 7). I'm working on memories of celceta which is still fun moment to moment but I forgot the insane amount of resource bloat this game has between the 12 different ways you can improve weapons, the 3 different shops that can craft and the large party you need to equally level up and train by swapping out characters relatively frequently

I gotta just play Ys 1&2 again soon to remind myself why I fell in love with the series in the first place. No loving crafting, no dumb 'parry' system, party mechanics, or bad story getting in the way constantly. Just bump and fireball, that's all you need.

Snak posted:

I thought that galciv 2 was the worst 4x game I've ever played. Total garbage.

I can see why it might appeal to people but every time I try and play it it's just the most absolutely boring poo poo and I can't even remotely get interested in it.

In Training posted:

I usually play Ys games on Hard which I usually find is a fun balance. The times I've tried Nightmare and higher just feel like a slog rather than a fun challenge.

Same. Nightmare rarely adds any new (or meaningful, anyway) mechanics to the bosses, so it's just the same thing as Hard except now you take 3x as much damage and the bosses take 3x as many hits to kill. Which is literally the opposite of good design.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I like the simplicity of 1&2 but I also like a lot of the stuff they've piled on since, even if they've stumbled in places. I love that the series is still kicking around all these decades later

Yeah I like them all really, it's just that the games have gotten so big and lengthy and full of 'stuff' with the recent entries. Need to go back to the beginning for a palette cleanser before 8 hits.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You also don't really need to 'mix things up' so much when your games are 8-12 hours long instead of 30-40.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'd have to check my save files but I definitely clocked over 30 on my first run of Ys7, recall Celceta being pretty close to that but it might have been a bit shy of 30. Celceta felt a lot less lengthy though, 7 was just dragging it's rear end over the finish line.

Genesis Ys3 was my first Ys game :downs: And then PS2 Ys6 after that :downs:

(I actually like Ys6 a lot though, just not the PS2 version)

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

precision posted:

Every time people bring up Ys I remember it as a side scrolling not very good game series but I rarely look any further into it and now I'm seeing that apparently I was thinking only of Ys 3?

Yep that's the original Ys 3. You probably played it on SNES or Genesis like most people did.

It was pretty bad, but Oath is a remake of it that is very very good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I dunno if I've got some graphics settings wrong in Total Warhams or not, but there's something off about the color when I'm zooomed out, like it seems like there's fog or something making all the unit's color palettes really dull, and hard to identify visually. Looks fine zoomed in though?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't get it

Then again, I like Etrian Odyssey so...

Upperleft is a teleporter maze with poison tiles and random encounters. Upper Right has some other gimmick going on too but I don't recall what it is.

It's kinda annoying but not especially difficult or anything, which sums up most of SJ in a nutshell.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Speaking of: forever gently caress that Desert Plant boss. I just did it again (first time with Hugo) and I will always have a rough time with that fight, even on normal.

He's the hardest boss in the game IMO, might be one of the hardest in that trio of games even. Yunica crushes it pretty easily by comparison though, entirely due to her Fire Sword being dumb as gently caress.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not a fan of using gamepad for any game that has dual-stick setup but then puts the attacks on face buttons. I dunno if they let you rebind that later or not though for W3, but it immediately made me switch to M&KB.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Witcher 3, my friend who beat the game insists the only way to get the good ending is to do the DLCs before finishing the main game. That claim sounds like bullshit to me, since they both came out well after the base game and I thought B&W could almost be considered an epilogue, anyway.

I mean, it's a moot point since I only just got to Novigrad soooooo.

The DLC stuff has no effect on the main story at all, it's separate content. The ending is only effected by (not really a big spoiler but I'll tag it just in case) about 6-7 timed dialog choices during the second half of the main game, after you find Ciri.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

:psyduck:

Logistically, I don't think it's possible for a game to spoil it's own sequel.

Lufia 1

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of Lufia 1 is the ending of Lufia 2, which is a prequel.

It is, if you went into L2 without playing L1, a pretty big surprise as the ending of L2 is "the protagonist and his wife die" but since it is assumed you played L1 it isn't supposed to be a shock.

Yeah it's this. It's pretty much the same thing as above with Nier, it's not really intended to be a twist, but in this case I think the ending of Lufia 2 actually works a lot better going in blind.

Also Lufia 1 is just completely terrible anyway so it's not worth playing for any reason.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The late game story and main villain of Celceta are so un-engaging I'm honestly kind of surprised I finished it. I think I probably only did because lol Karna lol Napalm Shot lol Life Steal etc.

I feel like I talk down about that series a lot despite pretty much liking every game in it.

E: I actually don't even remember what the final boss of that game is now that I think about it. I think it's a big thing you fight on a volcano maybe?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I enjoy most of the plots/characters prior to 7 and Celceta really. I dunno, maybe it's partly to do with the localization or just there being a lot more plot in general. Or maybe the characters are just really bad.

Well, Terra is pretty horrible in 6 as well but at least she's not in tooooo much of the game.

Dogi is pretty much the best in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I skip all the cutscenes in Ys games because I don't give a crap about stories in games where all you do is kill stuff unless it's Nier Automata.

What you don't want to hear the important backstory about why Leeza has a Galbalan as a pet

Or why Ozma ...

... okay well I didn't skip the cutscenes and I still don't know why he was in the game.

• Locked thread