Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hope the procedure goes well. I'm gonna be in hospital for a day at the end of March to get me thyroid ripped out, then off work for a week

I kinda hope I can get my hands on a Switch before then so I have something to do in hospital when I don't want to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god there is too much gaming poo poo to do

Path of Exile's starting a new league today (think Diablo 3 season plus major patch)

NieR Automata's coming out in a couple weeks

Got Horizon on Tuesday, still haven't played more than a couple hours of that

And to top it all off I literally just realized Breath of the Wild is out, and it's on Wii U, because apparently I've been under a rock

Oh my god!!! someone prioritize for me!!!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Play Atelier Firis obviously.

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

lets hang out posted:

Finish playing the one you already started and then move on to the next

Probably the correct answer but I gotta admit I'm sore tempted by BotW now that I know it's out

I guess we'll see if I manage to snag a Switch from Fry's after work, and play that if I manage it, Horizon if not

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was wondering about that myself, especially considering BotW came out literally today :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with VR now anyways? Did PSVR do ok/are there upcoming games

There still isn't a killer app for any of the three platforms so everything's kind of in a holding pattern while tech improves/prices come down

Oculus recently lowered the price of things such that the cost of the total complete roomscale setup is a couple hundred cheaper than it was before, so it's going somewhere at least

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No luck getting my hands on a Switch today. Now I'm sort of wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and buy the Wii U version of BotW.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't decide whether I should be playing Horizon or Breath of the Wild :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's kinda what I'm doing but it feels like I'm getting nowhere in either game as a result :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

buzz aldrin clocks moon landing truthers giving him guff all the time and that doesn't make him a bad person

just a person who lent his voice talent to a bad game

I thought it was just the once

I mean, it was a good once

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm finding that I'm really annoyed with myself for not liking Breath of the Wild, for some reason

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i am both totally addicted to it and also kinda annoyed at it because i've been playing so much of it and dealing with the same few issues over and over.

i don't like the shrines. they vary in quality and length too much. I would have preferred the shrines in a region to be combined into a single dungeon-like experience with some unique theming and maybe some npc stories to break up the monontony of grinding puzzles for life and stamina and there are too few main dungeons and some optional ones would have really helped.

i hate the inventory system, especially when you can't pick up a new shield or bow because there is no button press to drop them and you have to use the menu.

I also think they start you off with way too little stamina. they should have halved the stamina drain while running imo. the whole world is built around the stamina system for climbing but theres no reason that link shouldn't be able to sprint for much longer. the stamina bar is also really obtrusive but i'm not as annoyed by it while i play.

lastly, they should have some way to size up your enemy's level before you engage with them.

that said, everything else is superb. i'm really impressed and I can only hope they bring the same fresh thinking to mario later this year.

The thing for me is I can't quite suss out why the game isn't appealing to me

I did find myself irritated at the limited stamina, the inventory system and the framerate problems but I would have thought those wouldn't be killers for me. Maybe they are! Maybe I'm just that shallow when it comes to games nowadays!

It'll be an interesting experiment to see how I feel about NieR: Automata tomorrow evening. Still an open world RPG but with more action and less exploration/survival elements. Maybe that'll help explain why I didn't grab onto Breath of the WIld, here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not really attaching to Horizon Zero Dawn either, and the common thread between the two games seems to be open world and exploration, so all I can conclude for sure is maybe I don't like those sorts of games anymore??

It's baffling that I don't know exactly why I dislike games :psypop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Breath of the Wild: The Phantom Pain

Someone repost that drawing of an older, head-impaled Link

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone here play their vidya games on a projector instead of a traditional TV? how well does that work out? It's something I've wanted to try for a while but couldn't work out the logistics, like where to put the projector so I'm not in the way but consoles can still be hooked up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks. I've been thinking for awhile about an upgrade to my 50" plasma of yesteryear, and projector against the wall (with later upgrade to a screen) occurred to me. Only problem is I have no idea where I'd put the stuff, especially since ceiling mount isn't an option (apartment, plus the ceiling is very high where I'd want the projector).

Think when I get home I'll figure out where the projector would actually have to go before anything else. Like if it's the middle of the room that's one thing, but the far back it's something else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

theres a reason why mario sunshine is the weakest 3d mario and mario 3d world is the best one, open levels dont hold a candle to carefully crafted ones

I still haven't played past world 1 of 3D world, I should get back to that

Backlog: Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Mario 3D World

All presently trumped by: loving Path of Exile :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I'd rather have poo poo textures and high frame rate than the other way around, personally.

:same:

the frame drops in BotW actually drive me thoroughly nutty

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't played it past the demo yet but I'm still finding myself really annoyed, having bought it*, that the demo of Nier Automata is pretty non representative

The open world stuff in BotW is actively driving me away from that and it's the most acclaimed Zelda in ages, I don't think Nier Automata is going to stand much of a chance for me

* Never Preorder

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

the open world poo poo in Nier I've completely and utterly ignored, it's not really a thing besides traversing some environments and once fast travel points are opened it's even less of a thing.

If you hate exploring open worlds then yeah BOTW isn't for you, the allure is exploring stuff on your own and being rewarded for it and doing what you want in order to achieve the end

that's good to hear. I spent all weekend trying toconvince myself that I could like BOTW if I just gave it more time to click, perhaps I should have spent that on Nier instead of grumbling about the demo :v:

Oh well too late now, I'm too tired. Give it a looksee this week I reckon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any consensus on ME: Andromeda yet? I gotta wait a while to play NieR: Automata and I wanna get my scifi on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I heard someone call Helldivers a "strat-em-up" and that's such an accurate term for the game.

Man, I forgot about Helldivers. I should pick that up again for a while. I loved that music they used for the main theme and during evacuations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Nier Automata good, bad? Worth getting? I really need my Nier fix.

Apparently extremely good but more Nier than Platinum--that may be a good thing for you but I expected more Platinum than Nier from the demo, and was disappointed to hear that it wasn't very representative

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Been bored out of my mind all week despite having like a million and a half new games to play

Bleh

(e) Someone mentioned Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and I could maybe possibly use an RPG to play. Worth a try anyway, Wii U's sitting pretty fallow otherwise. Does it have much in the way of decision making a la Persona (read: missable stuff) or is it pretty straightforward?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

ME:A also has bad plot and bad character and bad voice acting.

It's straightforward. There is one missable thing and that is only if you're a jerk to Tsubasa all the time.

Fair 'nuff. Gonna give the game a try I reckon. Lord knows if I can physically handle as much pure Japan as I'm seeing in these screenshots, my tolerance is usually pretty high though :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

There needs to be a game with the core gameplay (especially including feel of the weapons) of Monster Hunter but without the obtuseness of goddamn everything else in that game

I wanted to get Toukiden 2 but from the demo at least the weapons are just too fast and weightless, just like it was for God Eater

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I hate work

I wanna go home and play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE some more

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The only thing I know about console shooters is I kinda wanna play Destiny again but I can't put up with them load times

Can't wait for September

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Y'all got me wanting to give Dying Light another shot, I remember playing it for a couple hours then... I don't remember but knowing me, probably getting distracted by something else

Right in the middle of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE but that's wearing sliiightly thin as of the ch2 dungeon, so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Lufia 1 is basically an NES RPG on the Snes. It's very standard in a lot of what it does, and it doesn't make great use of the SNES' abilities. It's not terrible or broken or anything, but you have to really like JRPGs to bother playing through it.

Lufia 2 was not only a much better-looking and sounding game with more interesting combat mechanics, it also had really interesting departures from the bog-standard dragon quest/final fantasy mold of the time, most notably the dungeons where you can see the enemies and they don't move until you do. It's also got some pretty good writing to boot.

Man now I'm thinking about Lufia 4 and I'm sad.

I've forgotten how many weeks in a row I rented Lufia 2 as a kid just to crush the game then eventually crush the Ancient Cave

game owns, and I still love the goddamn Doom Isle music, how they got music that good out of the SNES is a minor mystery to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIXvHteoK0

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to try it! I was disappointed with the way Plague Knight controls, though, still haven't finished his game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've got surgery tomorrow and now I'm all wired and tired and want to play something to distract myself but sort of don't???

You'd think if I was gonna sit around doing nothing I'd take up... i dunno, watching tv or anime or something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Snak posted:

Play surgery simulator. You know, to prepare yourself.

I'm thinking about videos of surgeon simulator I've seen and now I'm vaguely irrationally terrified

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nah I kid I've been through the surgery windmill before, sorry, bad joke on my part :v:

(surgeon simulator is kinda terrifying in its own way to me though)

Anyway it's a thyroidectomy for a maybe-possibly-cancer which is apparently routine as hell so I shouldn't be worried anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Trauma Center is the more realistic depiction of surgery anyways

Now that little bastard actually freaked me out way back when

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It is legit weird though how lately (but especially today) I'll sit down to play something, think "Eh I'd rather play X", switch to X, think "Eh I'd rather play Y", etc

Like, can't I just skip to the part where I play a video game :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm hoping like hell they're reasonable and keep ads where you'd sort of 'expect' ads to be in VR worlds, or at least out of the way of gameplay

'course hope is a bitch like that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What is Night in the Woods anyway? I haven't really been paying attention, just kinda seen pictures and such. Someone just used it in the same sentence as Undertale so now I'm paying attention :v: Nevermind, there's a thread!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 31, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hope says hello and thank you for the compliment

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blah hospitals suck, there are no video games here and I'm stuck in bed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I hope you get well soon!

Thanks.. Annoying part is I actually feel pretty good, I was hoping to at least feel tired so I could nap through the night :mad:

• Locked thread