Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

His responses are cracking me up. I love that it's trending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

You guys realize that Glennon's agent is probably behind all those leaks. After what happened with Brock this offseason, no GM is going to put himself in the position for at least a couple more years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I'm not assuming competence. I'm assuming limited cap space for teams and that media leaks should not be trusted when they are so clearly insane.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a patagonian cavy posted:

lemme whisper in your ear brock osweiler got $37 million guaranteed

Yeah and as has been repeatedly stated, it was a once in a generation contract for a relatively unknown commodity at quarterback that blew up in the Texans face.

Teams tend to do things the same way they always do them and most organizations are risk averse because of fear of tying their job to one dumb mistake that can cost you your job. I wonder if Smith feels as comfortable making that Brock deal if he isn't so tight with the owner.

All I am saying is that number is clearly being leaked by Glennon's camp, just like the numbers on his career being tweeted by Ian Kenyon are being pushed by the teams trying to sign him.

It's negotiations through the media and focusing on an outlier as opposed to normal signing trends is silly, even if it is more fun to overreact to it.

I could absolutely see the Bears signing him for $15mil a year, but they won't tie themselves to more than one year of him. That is the one thing about Pace contracts his first two years as GM -- he pushes most of the guaranteed money up front so they are not tied down.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

a patagonian cavy posted:

overpaying for QBs has happened before the Brock signing and will continue to happen. Matt Stafford got $41m guaranteed before playing a single snap, though that was before rookie contracts got reworked and it was worth it. Dumb GMs will refuse to have coaches sign off on FA acquisitions, convince themselves that THIS is the guy to take them all the way, pitchfork some money into a truck to be driven to that person's house, and we will continue to sup from the well of comedy

and sure, maybe the Bears won't give him a contract with multiple guaranteed years, but the 49ers and the Jets and the Browns and you get it, there are teams with nothing at QB and guaranteed failure until they have someone decent under center. It's only a matter of time before a desperate team with more cap room than sense goes hard after *rolls the dice* Jimmy Garoppolo

The Stafford contract is a bad example, because that was under the old collective bargaining agreement, where teams were essentially forced to spend that money on the number one overall pick. And by your logic, #1 overall pick Sam Bradford was worth every penny of his rookie contract. :v:

And I am not saying someone isn't going to fall in love or overpay. I'm just saying that we shouldn't use a statistical anomaly as a frame of reference.

Chichevache posted:

Do you think it is possible you might be jumping the gun by declaring this is "a once in a generation contract" before even a single year has passed since it was signed?

Absolutely. I could be very wrong and Rick Smith was the harbinger of a new generation of front office ineptitude. We could bear witness to a glorious new utopia of sports related comedy. I just need it to happen more than once to believe it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The way I see it, just one more year of Fox and then we should have a real coach. Also, gently caress you bitch-rear end quitters. There is no way this is the hardest stretch of Bears football you've experienced. Were none of you around for Wanny?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

beejay posted:

I've been through a ton of poo poo and that's WHY I'm quitting. With the McCaskeys in charge it's been a joke and the current circus is too much for me.

I mean, I get that it's been a meh kind of run, but I'm not sure we have been so bad for so long all as to merit such despair.

sean10mm posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to jump straight to 80+ proof for breakfast to get that perfectly pink bloated look.

For all the poo poo we give Washington, it is hard to fault them keeping him away from operations if he is clearly off the wagon. (Or is it on the wagon? I always get those confused.)

What is curious is when they found out? Because shouldn't they have been moving to get a new GM in place before free agency and the draft began? It appears they had plenty of time.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chichevache posted:

You're right.

McDermott seems like a difficult coach to be excited about having.

Especially after he took away their video games.

How they supposed to prep without their Madden!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Kalli posted:

My immediate thought was they were just getting rid of anything Rex Ryan hosed on.

But they extended Tyrod...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Now imagine that guy is actually cutting that check because he has constantly dealt with you on the cheap and is actively trying to hamstring your future earnings.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

I remember Bears fans freaking the gently caress out about giving up two first-rounders for Cutler. I was like, "Uh, have you seen Jerry Angelo's drafting?"

I didn't get that. Two firsts for a franchise quarterback that young was a no brainer.

Now if only he'd been a franchise quarterback....

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Amy Pole Her posted:

While you clearly haven't watched Smith and Jeffrey outside of madden for 2+ years

To be fair, Jeffery made a difference when he was on the field last year. He had some good games and forced teams to roll coverages his way..... when he was healthy/on the field.

Not SAS flowcharting here, because I think he's awesome and wish he were back. But he did miss a lot of time.

Pops Mgee posted:

Ted Ginn is the Squirrel Girl of the nfl.

Quoted for truth

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ehud posted:

It's crazy how poorly we executed screens last year :-/

https://twitter.com/cianaf/status/841803688477888513

To be fair, those KC numbers are skewed by Hill, I imagine. Just breaking one screen for a TD has to boost that YPA a lot.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

A Man and his dog posted:

:stare:

That's def not happening to a nobody off the street.

Good lawyer work.

Honestly, it probably was.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

wingspan vs. height is how they measure Tremendous Upside Potential(tm)

You say double amputee, I say intangibles

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/status/842941992854323200

That would be kinda dumb since they have Yeldon and spent money on Ivory...

Yeah, because when you have superstar players like Yeldon and Ivory, how can you really improve the position. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It doesnt matter who the RB is because the OLine is absolute trash. Probably the second worst behind the Seahawks, or at a minimum bottom 5. Yeldon has shown some flashes but has mostly been mediocre, and he gets injured often. I like Ivory but I think his style works better when he has a functional OL.

If the Jaguars draft Fournette (or any RB) at 4 I'm rooting for the Raiders in 2017.

But there isn't an offensive lineman worth a top five pick. Fournette arguably is. You already have a lot invested in your defense and receiving corp, so there is a logic to grabbing him.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree with your first sentence. I think there are better players to draft at 4 though. I really like Solomon Thomas and an argument could be made for other players that will be available at that spot.

I'm pretty sure Fowler is a bust, so a DE wouldnt be a bad pick. A trade back, even a few spots, to be in a more appropriate position to take a lineman would be nice, too.

I'm not saying I know what they SHOULD do, but I have a strong opinion on what they should NOT do (which is draft a Running Back at 4).

I actually think Thomas makes a lot more sense, even if Fowler ends up panning out. It's not like you can ever have too many edge rushers.

I'm just saying that Fournette wouldn't be that crazy a pick for them.

John Brown posted:

This is what folks said about Zeke, and before you mention Jordan Howard, I'm pretty sure the former will be around for much longer. Hopefully the Cowboys situation can make NFL execs realize that an all-pro RB can make life much easier for grooming a young QB.

E: In fact, that may be exactly what the Jags are thinking.

Honestly, I don't understand why Howard fell as far as he did. He was projected consistently as a top five running back. I'm not convinced Zeke is that much better than Howard. Howard did as much as Zeke with a lot less to work with. Hell, you could argue he did more.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Silly Burrito posted:

Meanwhile Coopermanning was put to sleep.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who immediately thought this.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

No that is more Amish or southern evangelical.

Catholic is raising babies in between making more,

So she needs to stay home to save her energy?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I see retirement had mellowed out Chris Kluwe.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ehud posted:

What an outlandish thing that man said

Fetch me my posting gloves!

Does that mean you posted that without your posting gloves?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Needs to spend more time with his head in the playbook.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

This works better if you have a recently dominant or at least very good team. I'd advise you to check out the Kawalimus system where you insult everyone's intelligence by claiming everything about your team is the worst ever in a transparent attempt to get attention, although you might have to find an obscure hobby to make people like you.

The Kawalimus system is a lot harder to pull off as a Bills fan, when everything about your team may in fact be the worst. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

tarbrush posted:

You're in the same division as the Jets for crying out loud

No I'm not. I'm a Bears fan. I was just making fun of the Bills. I really need to do something about this dumb title.

To be fair, my previous statement also applies to the Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, Rams, Jags, Lions and Snyders.

• Locked thread