Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

now that the TDL is over and donskoi is coming back from injury this is how I think the sharks should shake out, the top three lines sharing basically equivalent ice time

hansen-thornton-pavelski
meier-couture-donskoi
marleau-hertl-labanc
boedker-tierney-ward

vlasic-braun
martin-burns
dillon-schlemko

Hansen hasn't played a game at LW in his career. He's a RW through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aurora posted:

Also drat, Kane's really working to disprove the ThinkTank theorem

What's that? Because I thought that was that the hockey gods personally dislike me, and that's just more evidence of it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aurora posted:

Your age-27 graph thing

Nah, he's good with that. Players peak at around 24 then stay around 80-90% of that until they're about 29. 30 is the general start of a decline, and there's not a precipitous drop off until about 32.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

It was a "rivalry" because they're both recent cup champions I guess.

It was a 'rivalry' because it posts ratings like this:

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/837320130010963968

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

More of an indictment on NHL reffing than the Hawks but lol

That plus Duncan Keith is a dirty player that the refs let get away with a ton of crap for some reason.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scrap the divisional playoffs, they're awful and incredibly confusing. I'm a devoted hockey fan and I even get who's going to play who mixed up occasionally when I look at the standings.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There was nothing wrong with the old system at all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Get rid of the playoffs and award the Stanley Cup to the best regular season team. Retroactively apply this new rule from, say, 2009-10 until now.

Signed,
A (soon to be 3-time Stanley Cup Champion) Washington Capitals fan

I'm on board.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Completely regardless of the Caps' many Regular Season ChampionshipsTM, following the EPL for the last few years has made me appreciate how dumb it is that we have these teams play 82 games and then throw most of that out and say, okay but now it's for real.

The playoff/elimination tournament is ubiquitous in North American sports because of just how profitable and easy to market it is. You have one, or a series of winner takes all games that will draw masses of viewers due to their significance and are as a result very easy to charge a premium to advertisers.

The issue with the league format determining a seasonal champion is that the result is almost never decided by a single game, and quite often a winner is determined with several weeks to go makes a bunch at the end somewhat irrelevant. There's nothing you can point at before the season as something guaranteed to happen that will have a giant audience and big consequences. Soccer can get around it by having its marquee teams go head to head in domestic leagues, but I'm sure the accountants would love to introduce a playoffs if they could (although they won't because there would be a fan revolt and another break away league like the EPL).

The Champion's League Final is now the target for sponsors because it's the only single elimination, best on best club match out there. Hell, the domestic leagues are largely secondary to that in significance these days with teams aiming to do the double/triple each season rather than caring just about winning the league.

And honestly, the playoffs are way cooler than the title race in soccer and I say that as a giant Manchester United/EPL fan.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That wouldn't be fair either. The only way to truly determine team rankings is if every team plays a control team an even number of times.

The current middle ranked team is the Islanders. So if every team played them 82 times a year, we'd know for sure where they really placed.

We don't want preconceived bias of team strength to influence the results so we'll need to double blind it too. We'll have all teams play in generic white/black jerseys and balaclavas at random arenas across the country so neither the fans nor players knows who's playing who on any given night. The NHL can announce the season's final standings and scoring leaders at a big ceremony at the end of the year and award the cup accordingly.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

Ahhhh but there is no "middle" team as long as there's an even number of teams.

Good news, there are 31 now!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is from the list of fun facts about Reid Duke on the Vegas Golden Knights website

quote:

7. When performing a Google search of Reid Duke's name, he is not the first Reid Duke to surface.

The other Reid Duke is a prominent Magic: The Gathering player who won the national Magic: The Gathering Online Championship in 2011. The two Reid Dukes are not related.

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/reid-duke-7-fun-facts/c-287436740

haha

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm panicking because Crosby might not win every trophy and the Pens look really good but not Stanley Cup good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

As opposed to our 40+ years.

I am a Canucks fan, I know your pain. Pens fans never will.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

hey who wants to see the worst defense iced this year

https://twitter.com/MattLoug/status/839176792699187200

I dunno, the Canucks iced the following during their mumps crisis:

Edler - Biega
Sbisa - Larsen
Hutton - McEneny

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Severson is better than every wings defenseman

e: wings have to have the league's worst defense when you factor in salary. I don't know if they're quite Canucks bad, but Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, (formerly) Smith, and Green make a combined like $23M

When healthy the Canucks defence is actually okayish

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Sbisa-Tryamkin
Gudbranson

It's the offence that's uh... not good.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin
Eriksson-Sutter-Megna
Chaput-Gaunce-Dorsett
Rodin/Skille

That is is just a collection of hot, sticky, overpriced garbage there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Can the twins be traded, tho? I mean, unless you break them up, even with a decent chunk of salary being retained, who can afford them both? Even if they could retain 50 percent on each contract they still gotta eat like 7 mil for this season and next.

And, like, who wants half the Sedins?

They only have a season left on their deals, and I think there's a lot of teams that would benefit from having them as a second line. A trade in the summer for one last kick at the can (and a shot at resigning them at a bargain) would've made sense for a team like Chicago or New York. At 50% retained, they cost a combined $7M. Send a bad contract back and that would've been very doable.

Sadly, Benning decided to retain 20% (aka $500k on one of the better bargains in the NHL) on the Hansen trade and he's signed through next year as well so the Canucks can't retain both Sedins anymore as Luongo has a retained portion as well and teams have a max of three slots. So that's a moot point, good job Jim.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Benning has said he won't even ask them to waive their NMC's so no, they can't, unless they go out of their way to ask him for a trade, and why would they do that? It would just damage their status with Vancouver fans, where they and their families live

People had no problem with Burrows waiving his NTC. Sit the Twins down and explain that the rebuild is happening and the team would be open to moving them to a contender if they wish and I'm sure they'd think about it. There's no one that would begrudge the Sedins going for a cup elsewhere. Their legacy here is cemented, they're the two greatest players in franchise history and nothing short of a shooting spree is going to change that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Has there been any indication that the Canucks were looking to trade them? I haven't seen or heard anything, and Benning saying he wouldnt ask them to waive just confirms that.

Neither the team nor the Sedins gain anything by sticking around. They're not winning a cup in Vancouver, so unless they're really keen on going down with the ship it makes sense for them to go. It was never going to happen at the deadline, but the team should at least explore the possibility with them over the summer. No need to force them out as their return won't be great, but it's only fair to ask if they'd like to get into a life raft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

I'm sure this conversation has already happened

I mean a sensible person would think that, but then again Linden made it clear today that they haven't even begun negotiations on the Horvat extension.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Whenever Sedins trade talk comes up, I wonder how they would fit in with the Rangers. They have a ton of experience with AV, and the Rangers are really deep at forward to the point that Grabner has scored 26 goals from the third line without power play time. Could you imagine them playing against a Habs or Sens fourth line? Sedins vs. Burrows or Ott?

Yes, I'll be over here imagining the Sedins cycling the puck in circles around Burrows, like a game of "monkey in the middle."

They're yours! Hell, give us a 1st round pick and a decent prospect and we'll even take Girardi off your hands at the same time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHLPA only pays lip service to the fact that goalies could get hurt with reduced equipment. Look at anything they wore prior to 1995, it was nothing compared to the michelin man suits they strap on today and it's not like there was an epidemic of broken ribs and shattered kneecaps among the netminders of yesteryear.

Goaltenders have spent the last twenty years building themselves up as the most integral part of a hockey team. If the NHLPA were to allow greatly reduced equipment size they'd be dramatically reducing the effectiveness of a good portion of their members. No team is going to keep paying a premium for goalies if the average SV% drops markedly overnight, and the NHLPA would have a revolt from (at least) 10% of their paid members.

The NHLPA has focused on propping up the pay and notoriety of its defensive players and goaltenders since the late 90s. They can hardly back pedal now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, the penalty one is the biggest thing. The NHL made a conscious choice to stop calling things too. They dropped a full PPO per game between 05/06 and 06/07 and then another full PPO over the next three years. We're once again in the lowest called season of all time.

It's a really simple answer to increase scoring too. League average powerplay percentage is currently better than it was just after the lockout (18.85% vs 17.68%) so they'd only have to bump it up to the level it was between 06/07 and 08/09 to get a similar increase in scoring.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gio posted:

im fine with calling more but post-lockout was dumb. whoever disagrees is dumb.

also if nothing changed im fine with hockey the way it is. the obsession with increasing scoring is dumb.

Sure, the NEW NHL officiating got annoying, but surely there's a happy medium between "call everything" and "call nothing?"

As for increasing scoring, what's the harm? Every other major sports league has realized that people like offence way more than the defensive side of things and have actively worked to promote it. The last few seasons have seen more touchdowns per game in the NFL in any era since the 60s. The NBA is consistently averaging over 100pts per game for the first time since Jordan was at his height. At the same time, both sports are seeing an unparalleled surge in popularity. It's not like it's being driven by big markets either. The best teams in Basketball are from Cleveland and San Francisco right now. They just score a bunch and people like that.

Why wouldn't you increase offence? There's literally no downside that I can see.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're at the point right now where goalies are pretty replaceable; the trade value of a starter calibre goalie is pretty low, the value of a goalie prospect even lower, and I would think they're a fair bit back on salary but I wouldn't be sure.

An average starting goaltender will cost you around $6M. They're usually in the top 3 or 4 highest paid players on a team.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

An idea I've had for a while: Gave up a shorty? Say goodbye to your powerplay.

That would just make teams play more defensively during the only point in a hockey games where teams actually take a few risks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks did an exchange program thing with a star Irish Hurler named Lee Chin and his comments about the team were uh... interesting.

quote:

The drinking culture they have, I couldn’t believe it. They were lowering pints the day before a game. And that was sitting at lunch.

“It was after we played a game on a Sunday, and there was a lunch with the alumni team on the Monday. I was invited, with Erik Gudbransonm, and one of his team mates beside him. I had a glass a water. Erik was injured, but I asked his team mate if he was playing tomorrow and he said ‘’yeah, what’s the big deal?’

“And managers and coaches and everyone sitting around. And I was thinking I wouldn’t do this sitting in front of Davy. I wouldn’t do it if I was at home on my own, never mind in front of Davy. But they just believe in it.

And they have this thing called a ‘change up’, when a player is not on form, not scoring. The manager will call a ‘change up’, and basically that player has to go out and ruin himself for the night, then come back the next day, with the attitude of you just don’t care.

“So they send him out, drink 20 pints, go off with a couple of women, whatever he wants. And come back the next day. That’s the way they live. It’s the culture, what they believe in, letting off steam like that. I don’t know if they look at the science behind it.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/lee-chin-surprised-by-levels-of-drinking-and-fighting-in-nhl-1.3003990

So I guess it's not just Canucks management that acts like it's still the 70s.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

jared mccann was actually a good boy and a hard worker until the canucks taught him how good sex, drugs, and alcohol are

Most likely his "attitude issues" were him turning down doing a beer bong during the intermission.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

having a beer at lunch doesn't really seem that weird to me

Professional athletes are multi-million dollar investments and well oiled machines. There's a huge body of evidence that even moderate alcohol consumption will negatively affect performance and slow recovery. I don't think that teams should be infringing on a player's ability to make responsible choices and a single beer at lunch will have a negligible effect. Then again, a top down endorsement of drinking culture is horrendous. Lee Chin plays a considerably less popular sport and he admits he'd be terrified to drink openly mid-season.

Furthermore, management telling a slumping player to go get blackout wasted mid-season? What the hell?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, that's from a European league perspective where you have several tiered divisions. You'd say 'top' to mean 'highest level' not 'one of the best.'

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

- What is a Megna..and what is it's purpose on the ice?

Jayson Megna is just Linden Vey in disguise.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Anyone looking to defend Willie D this season needs to mount a defense of Jayson Megna playing (for several games) on the first line, with the twins.

And a regular turn on the powerplay (including the first unit!) despite having 7pts on the season. The excuse given? He's a right handed shot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

To be fair, only approximately 89% of all the people in the world are right-handed.

Jannik Hansen, a player who is also right handed and had 22 goals with the Sedins last year, did not get a turn on the powerplay.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can't find the study now, but handedness in hockey was closely linked with the age at which a kid first started playing the sport. The younger you are, the more likely you are to put your dominant hand on top of the stick. Wait a few years and it starts to even out as influences such as batting and golfing handedness start getting ingrained. In general Canadian and European kids start playing hockey at a younger age than American ones and are therefore more likely to shoot left.

It's also a cultural thing to a certain extent. Russian players were almost exclusively left handed throughout their heyday, but right handedness has crept in over the years to the point where the best Russian player of all time is a right handed shot, something that would've been inconceivable even 25 years ago.

e: The original report seems to be gone but here's a reference to it in the NYT.

quote:

The Canadian journalist and author Bruce Dowbiggin noted the Canadian-American handedness split in his 2001 book, “The Stick: A History, a Celebration, an Elegy.” On Dowbiggin’s Web site, a reader named Kent Mayhew suggested the difference may have to do with how old a player is when he first picks up a hockey stick.

“The top hand on a hockey stick has to be able to handle the torques of a stick while the bottom hand just has to handle the weight with no torques,” he wrote. He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision.

A lot of experts would argue, however, that having the dominant hand on top makes for better control and stick-handling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 10, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't understand what's going on with Ottawa.

Alex Burrows is the answer to any and all questions.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly, it's not a great draft but I think people are using the lack of top end talent to colour their perception of it as a whole. An astute GM would load up on picks in the first two rounds just because their value is so much lower than in other years. There are enough players in the mid first round to mid second round that it should produce a few NHLers. Plus there are a number of guys that aren't getting nearly enough credit for their play, particularly Nicolas Hague (a 6'6' defenceman with 18g 45pts in 61 games) and Jason Robertson (6'2 LW who's about to hit 40g and is 25pts ahead of anyone else on his team) who will probably change the perception of this draft in a few years. Then again, the strength of a draft lives and dies by its top guys and this year it's certainly deficient in that regard.

Ginette Reno posted:

You think Nolan Patrick would have gone 10th last year? I sincerely doubt that. 6 ft 3 and scored 100 points last year. He'd have easily been top 5.

He was a few days short of the cut off for the 2016 draft, and had he been eligible last year he'd probably have gone 5 at best. Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi were all clearly ahead of him and Dubois had a late surge and ended up going third. I'd probably choose Patrick over Dubois today and then, but it's pretty close and that's hardly a ringing endorsement of him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

lmao, best case scenario for the flyers this week to get back in the playoff hunt:

:rip:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There's a decent chance that no one hits 40 this year.

There hasn't been a full season without a 40 goal scorer since 1962/63 which was 70 games long. This is Dead Puck 2 and it sucks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

But the goals per game is pretty much unchanged for the last 10 years (change from season to season is generally a couple hundredths of a point) so that just means the points are being spread among more players.. which is actually cool and good.

Why? I couldn't care less that Brian Gionta is on pace for 16 goals instead of 12 this year. This is the entertainment business. I want to see the best guys getting 50 goals and 100pts. There won't be either this year. I want to see players pushing each other for the scoring lead late in the season with constant big nights. Crosby has 3 points? Well, Ovie just bettered that with a hattrick and two assists.

Why has it become in vogue among hockey fans to say "there's nothing wrong with the sport and if you disagree you don't appreciate it right?" There have been three 50 goal seasons and two 100 point seasons in the last five years. Why are we all supposed to pretend that the Art Ross winner barely scraping 90 points is fun? It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

It is this.

It really sucks to be left off the team or whatever no matter how old you are and there isn't really any good reason to alienate a good chunk of the league who get left unprotected but go un-chosen.

They're professional athletes and get paid millions of dollars in part to compensate for the criticism they get in the public sphere. If they're welling up over the idea that they're not one of the top 8 forwards on their team, they shouldn't be in the league. If anything they should use it as motivation to improve and prove they are worth protecting in any future expansion drafts. This is the entertainment business, there's no good reason not to release the protection lists.

Hell, the chances of any player even bothering to look up which teammates were protected over them is minimal at best.

• Locked thread