Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The whole team of FC Dallas just walked in to the restaurant I'm at. Its taking everything in my power not go something dumb for the 'Gram.

I saw a big group of Montreal players at the mall today, but I didn't recognize a single one so I just kept walking. They were all wearing Montreal gear head to toe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Philly gets a road point

:toot:

No one mentioned it, but mother loving Oguchi Onyewu played in for Philly yesterday! What a blast from the past.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

quote:

As our Facebook feeds become saturated with video, the company is expanding its reach with more live sports. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, Facebook has signed a deal with Major League Soccer and Univision that will allow it to live stream at least 22 regular-season games during the 2017 season. Facebook gains exclusive, English-language rights to these games that are typically only shown on Univision in Spanish. The first live-streamed game will feature Atlanta United hosting the Chicago Fire on March 18.

MLS will also produce 40 "Matchday Live" shows, featuring commentary and analysis of the games to be played that day, that will be broadcast on the official MLS Facebook page. These shows are exclusive to Facebook, and the live-stream broadcasts of the soccer matches will have Facebook-specific commentators, graphics, and social-media engagement through Q&A and polling features. The partnership appears to be twofold: Facebook gets exclusive rights to popular soccer matches while MLS and Univision get to use the social media platform to interact with younger fans in new ways.

Facebook is getting into this soccer broadcasting game. Along with the Liga MX streams, this is pretty great. I'd still really like to see MLS produce a highlight and analysis show akin to BBC's Match of the Day.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

santanotreal posted:

How does this affect MLS Live?

Ya, what the other people said. Nationally televised games, even if they were only on Univision in Spanish, are blacked out on MLS Live. Now you can watch them on Facebook.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

Chicago has gotta have the best jersey sponsor, right? It's paint, so there's no ethical bullshit like with the MLMs or whatever, Valspar is kind of a cool, vaguely Viking name, and the wordmark itself isn't terribly intrusive.

I Like Columbus's Barbasol for similar reasons, but lol shaving cream. Yellow jerseys are also better than red.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Visual Sneeze posted:

I'm not crazy, right? The 4 minute extended highlights on the league's site really did vanish? I went to look for them for today's earlier games but there were only the 2 minute videos up and all the extended ones from last weekend that I definitely did previously watch were nowhere to be found.

I don't know about on the mothership site, but I normally watch them on the MLS youtube channel.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

The Quakes are undefeated, hail satan

Also have yet to play 90 minutes against a full 11.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

If they're smart they will.

It's totally mind boggling that Adrian Heath and Ben Olsen continue to be head coaches for MLS teams, but Mike Petke is stuck with Real Monarchs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MLS social is the worst. More Nintendo TIFO for everyone. Doooop!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I applaud their commitment to reflecting local heritage by bringing in a ton of players from the Scandinavian leagues, but it's worth remembering that those leagues are, at best, a sidegrade to MLS (aside from certain overrated youth prospects in Football Manager. :colbert:).

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a soccer-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

ftfy

Adrian Heath is a phony!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Cross St. Louis off the expansion shortlist, as voters rejected a measure to help fund a stadium.

Cross them all off the list until Minneapolis and Chicago become real teams.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Breaking news we have discovered irregular heart problems are contagious, patient zero Eddie Johnson has been taken into custody by the CDC.

Seriously though Dempsey, Wynne and now Moor all within a year seems high?

Chemtrails!!

But it's most probably totally statistically normal. About 1% of Americans are diagnosed with irregular heart beat every year. That would be about 6 MLS players every year.

IANAD, but if you have a predisposition to heart arrhythmia, pushing your body to its cardiovascular extreme for 10+ years is probably a good way to get those symptoms to expose themselves.

I have to imagine medical screening and reporting is getting better too.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 14, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Jack Mac signed with the Galaxy, I didn't even realize he had been cut by the Timbers.

Countdown to Jack Mac and Jack Mc starting together

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/TotalMLS/status/856967530111520768

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

Goddamn the Galaxy are bad this season and if anyone thinks Curt Onalfo is gonna turn that team around they are nuts.

Well this was unprovoked and uncalled for

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Freddy Adu is available for free.

Seems like a DC front office kind of move to me.

Just cause I'm still amazed by it, I'd like to remind everyone that Freddy Adu was drafted the same year as and ahead of Chad Marshall, Clint Dempsey, and Michael Bradley.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Just. Yeah. Embarrassing. Outscored 17-3 in 4 days and 3 games.

Onalfo out.

Los Dos lost 9-0 yesterday. That's a whole lot of fail in this organization right now.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

I think as long as we're ravaged by injuries LA is pretty hosed. The front office gambled that they wouldn't need to have MLS level players ready to fill in for starters and instead tried to rely on their USL players.

They got absolutely smashed by the worst team in MLS.

Even after the ravaging and smashing, we're 2 points out of a playoff position and 4 points out of 3rd place. As long as more teams make the playoffs than don't, I can't seriously count us out. We'll get the "stars" back eventually, and the injuries will work themselves out. Everyone knows the MLS season doesn't actually start until August.

With that said, I'd love it if we could get a new striker/center mid/right back/keeper/head coach/GM, at the least.

That Gignac rumor is lovely, as is the Movsisyan if the price was right.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

Yea but what if Alessandrini turned out to be a bust?

So much of the Galaxy offense has run through him that it's not a stretch at all to imagine a record much worse than this one if he hadn't turned out to be great, and a record in the future that could be outside of the playoffs should he get injured for a significant stretch of time.

There's so little depth in the Galaxy roster right now that a few injuries to key players leads to a situation where you have to field six USL guys all at once and make desperation signings like Jack McInerney.

That's just problems with the roster itself. You then have to remember Curt Onalfo is in charge of this team.

I totally agree with you. Curt Onalfo is not MLS caliber and I'd be happy if we could replace him with a Miguel Herrera type. Onalfo didn't address the team needs and made poor signings. Thankfully, that can still limp you into the playoffs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Onalfo or Klein?

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes. Vagenas is part of the problem as well. It's like the whole organization went Homegrown real quick. Hopefully they can figure it out sooner rather than later. It would be really great if the Club could produce something great from within.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Adrian Heath has a podcast.

Who knows, maybe he's a better radio host than coach.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Good. Because the first teams to be relegated (outside of maybe Seattle and Portland) would instantly fold and leave big ol empty stadiums in their wake.

We're on our way to being able to support pro/rel, but we're not there yet. FC Cincinnati and Sacramento Republic FC averaged 17k and 11.5k respectively last year. I think they're doing even better this year.

There are guys playing in the lower divisions that people should be excited about seeing. Young, promising academy kids, tier 2 CONCACAF players, even Didier Drogba and his weird all star team would be fun to go watch for $10-$20.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

And maybe in this case it'll be JDS that saves them

(I hope not, gently caress the Galaxy)

I hope so, but we only got rid of one problem. We're still stuck with a first team made up primarily of LA2 players and old guys. Still gotta figure out how to polish this turd roster into at least a playoff turd.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

paddyboat posted:

There are eight (8) MLS matches in today none of which are on normal television.

There are three (3) euro friendlies on television, today.

I don't care about pro/rel or stupid MLS rules just put it in television so I can drink beer and laugh at it.

How about there being eight (8) MLS matches on and the first one doesn't start until 7PM. Spread them out over the day and I'll spend 10 hours watching our lovely league. Squish them all into the evening and I'll be lucky to watch one.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

You'd think a Galaxy fan of all people would appreciate not scheduling day games in the middle of August.

I think that's not entirely the league's decision. If the national broadcasters only want three games a week then that's what happens. MLS Live is a backup plan, not a priority.

My team plays tomorrow and I want to sit in air conditioning and watch soccer all day today. Instead I have to find some sort of productive activity to fill my time. Thanks Garber!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Are you forgetting the Univision English announcers?

Oh my god! Those guys are so loving terrible. Second only to every local announcer. I'm specifically looking at you Cobi Jones and Shep Messing.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I know this was a joke but what the hell I'll consider it.

On one hand, Minnesota, Colorado, and DC still exist and Are Bad. On the other hand, at least one of those teams appears to be way more active in the summer transfer window (which, again, closes in like six hours) than the Galaxy are, so really who knows?

edit: case in point, in the time I spent writing this reply DC have been linked to Paul Arriola (Galaxy academy product, I think, so they'd have needed to grab his rights from LAG) from Tijuana AND Russell Canouse from Hoffenheim. Even Minnesota are trying to move out deadwood and otherwise staff their surprise "ten wingers and a GK" tactic. Meanwhile the Galaxy, somehow, seem dead silent on the market.

I'm pretty sure the Wooden Spoon is the one domestic honour the Galaxy have never won (according to Wiki the 2008 team tied with San Jose for last place but finished ahead on a tiebreaker), so it would at least be novel!

We signed and have already started playing Pele van Anholt and the other dos Santos brother. Just because we aren't making last minute moves doesn't mean we didn't make any moves. We're also, supposedly, still willing to make deals up until the end of the transfer in case anyone wants to send us a Bill Hamid.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be/probably is for whatever USL team Austin has. They also own all of these:

code:
Akronfc.com
Alburquerquefc.com
Anaheimfc.com
Bakersfieldfc.com
Cincinnatifc.com
Clevelandfc.com
ColoradosPringsfc.com
CorpusChristifc.com
Denverfc.com
detroitfc.com
elpasofc.com
fresnofc.com
longbeachfc.com
mesafc.com
minneapolisfc.com
neworleansfc.com
norfolkfc.com
oaklandfc.com
phillyfc.com
pittsburgfc.com
raleighfc.com
sanantoniofc.com
stocktonfc.com
tusconfc.com
virginiabeachfc.com

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

trem_two posted:

If DC played Atlanta every week, they'd have the greatest season in league history.

And somehow still end up with 0 goals scored.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
LA Galaxy have been shutout 4 games in a row for the first time ever. So what do we do to strengthen our attacking force? Welcome to the team, DOMINIC KINNEAR!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Do the Galaxy next

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

If rumors are to be believed, he's gonna be the next Messi.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Sure, if you wanna get into the false equivalence game

Look I know full well that this is not the biggest or even halfway relevant thing to get angry at DC United for, but it's something new every loving day with these assholes. Jose Andres had to record himself promising he was gonna hire the pupusa ladies from RFK to make pupusas for Audi Field, and I don't even believe him.

I don't understand what the issue is here. A kid is playing soccer in your team's childrens league. What's the problem?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

gently caress the Trump family?

Agreed, but imagine how many other racist parents have children on that team.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

The west is going to be really interesting in the last couple weeks. I think Portland/Seattle/KC are probably safe but pretty much anybody else could snap up those last two playoff spots. Except LA haha

I'd be angry about that comment, but good god are we bad

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Congrats TFC. Hopefully this means we get another dwayne_dero_on_a_tiny_bike.gif

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
The two MLS Cups he won with us were pretty cool tbh

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

shoplifter posted:

Yet NYCFC is in their third stadium this season this weekend

And MLS's current golden boy Atlanta shares a turf field with an NFL team.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

Dates and times are set.

Eastern:
@Columbus - Tues, Nov 21 - 8PM Eastern
ESPN / TSN
@Toronto - Wed, Nov 29 - 7:30PM Eastern
FS1 / TSN

Western:
@Houston - Tues, Nov 21 - 10PM Eastern
FS1 / TSN
@Seattle - Thurs, Nov 30 - 10:30PM Eastern
ESPN / TSN

Ah yes, the annual "We didn't want people to remember us anyways" break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

Galaxy got them knives out and cut a bunch of under performing dudes who came up from Galaxy II.

Kind of surprised to see Jose Villareal go, the rest not so much.

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/927976213561278465

These weren't just LA2 players. They were also homegrowns. Even though none of them really produced, I'm surprised to see them get straight cut. Surely DC United would've given us something for more of our cast-offs.

• Locked thread