Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

gently caress, there's a hundred people at my Best Buy. Gonna be at the mercy of Amazon hauling rear end tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fetko posted:

My amazon preorder updated to shipping soon this morning with a delivery of Friday by 8pm, but i'm starting to doubt it. Can't remember a shipment this late to update before. Anyone else stuck in amazon shipping purgatory?

Yea, mine has been "shipping soon" since this morning, still supposedly showing up by 8pm tomorrow. We'll see about that, Amazon wizards..........

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Still in line outside Best Buy on the east coast. There were 50 non-preorders available, I got 47. First guy in the preorder line left on a bicycle. Second guy was a short old Asian man with at least 7-8 Switches v:shobon:v

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought I was immediately not a fan of the Joy-Cons as I took them out of the box, until I picked the whole thing up in portable mode and tried the Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo on the JP eShop. This thing immediately rules as a handheld. The screen is super good. Even the speakers are way better than I expected. Haven't even tried docked anything yet since it's 4 in the morning and I wasn't expecting to stand in line for 5 hours.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

beergod posted:

Thanks. I wonder how accurate this is. It's showing tons of them available at the 24-hour Walmarts near me. But of course they aren't answering the phones, which I understand if its crazy.

My local Walmart's stock updated between 6hours ago and now. They had 50 gray and 8 neon, down to 31 gray and 0 neon. It's probably pretty accurate, but idk if those numbers include reserved preorders.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a ps4 rest mode equivalent on switch? ITs a very convenient feature especially for a tablet to just sleep and jump back in right where I was.

Yes, sleep mode. Hold the Home button for a second or two.

Real hurthling! posted:

Docked mode is probably hosed unless they start dialing back on cpu requirements in their games. Per digital foundry:

This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). Suffice to say, if you're looking to play Breath of the Wild with minimal performance drops, running undocked is the way forward.

This is a big problem

It's just mild frame drops on the system's very first real game, which is more or less a port of a game than ran on different architecture. I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 3, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Idk if you guys are playing it or just looking at numbers, but even if it's dropping to "VERY low 20s" it's not bothering me at all. That's not even really that low for a lot of console games. It is uncharacteristically low for a Nintendo game, though, yeah.

What did bother me: Dark Souls Blighttown pre-patch, Bloodborne's constant stuttering, and Dragon Quest Heroes I & II -- even portable, that game chugs like crazy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChibiSoma posted:

So aside from Nintendo being incompetent as gently caress, is there a reason why the Switch keeps forgetting the wifi, won't let me sign in with my NID, and has absolutely no indicators to tell you when charging the stupid controllers is complete? Or why the left controller seemed to come with a near-full charge but the right one had absolutely zero? Or why, in god drat 2017 it doesn't come with a god drat AC adapter?

Oh wait that last one's so they can scam more money out of you. Because the 80 dollar price tag on extra controllers wasn't enough, I guess.

You mean like, the power cable/box? That's in the box, under the HDMI cable. I'd lol but I missed it at first glance, too (I didn't touch the HDMI cable because I'm not using it.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Two things I wasn't expecting at all: portable mode is just good as gently caress, and hidden costs is for real. Now I need an AC adapter for my room, and a hard shell case so my cat doesn't walk all over it on my nightstand. There goes like $50 on nothing. At least I can safely bring it with me with the two, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BambooEarpick posted:

So what's the consensus on screen protectors? Get one? Which one?

The dock can supposedly scratch the screen over time. I'd get one if you plan on undocking it often.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Silver Falcon posted:

Argh! So good news: my Breath of the Wild Special Edition did in fact actually ship so I am for sure getting that sick-rear end carrying case! The bad news? The arrival estimate is next loving Friday.

You're killing me here, TRU! I am seriously contemplating doing a stupid thing. Namely, going to Walmart or something tomorrow, buying a regular version of the game, keeping the receipt, and then when the special edition comes in, take the game that comes with that back to the store for a refund.

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? Is the copy of the game that comes with the SE any different from one you would just get off the store shelf? Would they have any way of knowing that the copy I returned was not the same one I bought in the first place?

Is it a stupid idea and should I just not be a big, impatient consumer whore?

Don't do this; the game case inside the special edition says "NOT FOR RESALE" and has no UPC on it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

deadwing posted:

Oh my god guys Snipperclips is SO GOOD

I'm getting a kick out of playing it with my sailor-mouthed roommate, makes for great contrast. Here, you've got this dripping-with-cute co-op game, and my roommate yelling "WHY'D YOU MADE ME LOOK LIKE A FUCKIN' DICK"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bill Barber posted:

What are the controls like in Snipperclips? Do you need to use the shoulder buttons at all? I'm taking my Switch over to someone's house later and I'd like to just bring the unit itself and not worry about the wriststraps if possible.

The shoulder buttons rotate your lil' dude, definitely bring the wrist straps.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Teenage Fansub posted:

For the future, since I don't think credit carries over between accounts, Shovel Knight is $12USD in the Mexican store.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349910

gently caress it I'm doing this. I don't care if I don't get the worthless 20 gold coins lol I'd rather get 60% off. I've already bought Shovel Knight twice anyway.

Edit: nevermind, apparently only the core game works for any system user, and you have to play as the Mexico-locale user to access any addon content. Weird poo poo, too lazy to fiddle with it. I'll just revert back to getting the free updates on the PS4 version.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 5, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are there any good hard cases for this thing yet? Seems like every case so far has problems.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Skeezy posted:

You don't need to play with the Mexico locale user to play the addons. I'm playing the new DLC rn with my main US account.

Oh, OK, thanks. Someone on the gaf thread said that was the case, I thought it sounded weird. I'm assuming you have to keep the Mexico user on the system indefinitely?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

Just made mex account, worked fine, making a jpn account now for future fun. Dont know if theres anything I want from the jpn now.

Any jpn only gems? That arent neogeo games.

The Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo. I'd just stick to the demo unless you can read Japanese. There's a Dragon Quest Heroes I & II demo if you want to disappoint yourself with how poorly it runs. I think that's about it for now, besides the Neo Geo games and that ridiculously lovely looking magical princess whatever game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rirse posted:

Strange, I played the DQ Heroes demo and it was running fine for me.

Oh yeah? Did you play it in portable or docked mode? I tried it in portable mode only; it took me all of 2 minutes to come to the conclusion that the frame rate sucked and uninstalled it. I figured docked mode could only be worse, but then again, I forgot the Switch supposedly underclocks for portable mode.

Tender Bender posted:

That's super disappointing to hear, I don't have it in me for more than one muso game but Hyrule Warriors hit the spot for me and I was hoping Switch would get a sequel or at least a "deluxe" edition with all the 3ds content. Hopefully a Switch-only game will be better optimized and run decently.

I bet Fire Emblem Warriors and the possible Hyrule Warriors port would run better, especially the former, since it's a Switch game at its core. DQ Heroes I & II is a port of a PS4 game by a third party.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 5, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SlayVus posted:

The RDS Industries, licensed hard case. $20 from Walmart.

https://imgur.com/a/DdVRN

That looks perfect, thanks.

Unrelated: the Pro controller's D-pad can easily be rocked up or down from the far edges of the left and right directions. Getting tons of accidental magic uses in Shovel Knight (hold up and attack button.) Hopefully it just needs to be broken in. It'd be really depressing if the creator and patent holder of the D-pad hosed it up. Or maybe this is by design and I just need to improve my muscle memory? I hardly ever use a D-pad anymore. I actually like the Joy-Con's fake D-pad a lot more than the actual one.

Lots of negative posts the past few pages, but I did play Zelda for like 10 god drat hours today, and it just keeps getting better. I haven't played a single game for that long since World of Warcraft came out. Then I capped the nerd day off with some portable Puyo Puyo Tetris and Shovel Knight. I really hope the Switch gets a bunch of good games because it's a rad platform.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 5, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inzombiac posted:

I'm afraid of going into the Zelda thread because of spoilers.

If you haven't yet, go and try to rush the castle.
Goddamn.

I got maybe 3/4 of the way there from the plateau and was rudely turned away by spoilery stuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soul Glo posted:

I am loving the Switch. I am Setsuna is scratching some good itches and Zelda is GOTY so far.

Zelda's absolutely GOTY. What's funny is, the Switch will be console of the year, because what's its competition? Project Scorpio? Lol an Xbox.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't found a Guardian since the first ones by one of the Plateau shrines, but yeah I'm basically going to be running away from them. I was hoping that bombs would hurt them (since you got bombs in that Shrine) but no such luck. If I do see one I'm going to run.

I also found a rock monster in the mountains just behind the tower in the region where Kakariko is. He one-shotted me so I just ran around him when it reloaded. Thankfully you have to pass quite close to them for them to come alive. When it happened though it was a major "WTF" moment.

I'm starting to get the feeling that they're not really meant to be killed or even engaged, at least early on. Kind of like those giant robots that moo in Metal Gear Solid 4; they're just peppered along your path to remind you to be aware of your surroundings. If I see tentacles popping out of their bodies, or if their head's rotation track is parallel to the ground, I either scan the surroundings for cover or just steer clear. As for the live ones scurrying around, welp guess I'm not going in that direction.

FWIW, I was able to kill one relatively easily with 5-6 Fire arrow eyeball shots and a ~35 damage bow, but it wasn't worth the ammo; they just drop 2-3 springs and gears.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChocNitty posted:

Whats tempting me to get the pro controller is how it will make switching even more seamless. Leave the joycons on the handheld, and just grab it and go when I need the portable.

Does it feel quality? Is it heavier than the ps4 controller? It doesnt feel like a $20 Logitech PC gamepad or a crappy see thru neon green madcatz xbox 360 controller does it?

Yea, just about everything about it is really good. My only complaint is the face buttons feel a little chunky, but that's minor. I already like it more than the Dualshock4. I thought the Wii U Pro controller got a fair deal more praise than it deserved while still being generally good, but the Switch Pro controller is actually great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did Splatoon 1 support both gyro and analog aiming simultaneously? I can't remember, but I couldn't get into the controls. Loved everything else. If Splatoon 2 behaves like Zelda bow aiming, I'll get it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The RDS Industries one is good for a hard shell case. It's sold at GameStop and Walmart (and Amazon.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Healbot posted:

It's the same resolution and effects settings on both docked and handheld mode.

Hah, that doesn't set a good precedent. Sounds like they ported the game with docked mode (I.e. full clock speed) in mind and didn't care how it ran in portable mode. I hope that doesn't become a thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

amotea posted:

Watched the Cinemassacre BOTW livestream a few times, it seems to be an insanely dull open world game. Ubisoft level dull, it even has the Ubisoft towers to unlock parts of the map.

I didn't really see him do anything except typical empty open world busywork tasks. The combat was boring as well.

He did one mini dungeon that was a physics puzzle in which he had to spawn 3 ice blocks to get a ball over a ravine. :shepface:

10/10 GOTY JFC. (seriously: if this wasn't a Zelda game it would have been a 7.5/10 game that would have sold maybe 400k copies)

Aside from the 3D GTA games, this is the first open world game I've played that actually isn't boring in its ambiance. I could wander off in any given direction at any point and come across something interesting. Maybe a suspicious-looking hiding spot for a Korok, an enemy camp guarding a treasure chest, a cliff to scale to get a bird's eye view of my surroundings. It really helps that the physics engine rules, and that everything is alive.

The mini-dungeons are all pretty quick and fun so far. Do know that there's like 100 of them. They're not that interesting; most are just quick little brain games.

The combat is the only thing you're right about, basically, but I don't blame you because maybe you can't get a good feel for the game just by watching it. Maybe the person playing was just going from point A to point B, since most open world games are boring like that. Yeah, the combat is a little dated. It's Dark Souls Lite.

For some reference, the last two open world games I played were Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV. Zelda runs laps around FFXV, whose world was genuinely empty as gently caress; a boring-rear end Arizona desert landscape with the occasional abandoned shack. Witcher 3 was all around great, but got pretty long in the tooth near the end, especially with all the dialogue options. I found myself bee lining that game in the last third or so. I'm probably a good 30 hours into Zelda, and feel pretty equivalently excited about its world that I was with Witcher 3 at that point. Except Zelda continues to catch me off guard and surprise me with spoilery stuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I bet Switch gets Dark Souls II SOTFS, if anything at all. Dark Souls 3 won't happen, it pushes the PS4 well enough. Kinda puts Dark Souls 1 out of the equation. It's basically never going to happen.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eonwe posted:

heres what I did last night

I made a journey from zora land (which I havent even done anything in yet) to Akkala

and I made my way up to meet an NPC I had a quest for an activate the tower

between that and my exploring along the way it took up my whole night

i made almost no progress and just explored and had a great time

That's what I did last night. But at like 11 PM I was like OK, I've got like 2 hours, I can go to (first dungeon) now. I've got enough hearts, food's good, weapons good... Next thing I know, it's 1 AM, and I've got a friendly NPC telling me I'm about halfway there. I forgot, the trek to Zelda dungeons are usually dungeons on their own.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

InFlames235 posted:

Just stop being cheap asses and order this case before they go 2 months out on orders:

https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-cityslicker-case

Best quality you're gonna find.

I really don't know... I owned the Cityslicker for the 3DS, and it was really well made and all, but I never shook the fact that it was overkill. Also knew that a good chunk of the cost is going towards the full grain leather, which is purely cosmetic stuff I don't care to have on a video game case.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ChocNitty posted:

That pizza might have some bitter taste on it!

Is the $25 shovel knight worth it? Or is the $10 good enough?

The $10 game is apparently just Specter of Torment as a standalone game; it's not even DLC really, since the $25 game is all content released so far (including Specter) as well as the upcoming King Knight stuff.

Idk if this is still the case, but the $25 game was 225MX on the Mexico eShop, which works out to $11-12 depending on your credit card's international transaction fee. Make a new user and Nintendo Account, say you live in Mexico, and buy it up. It seems identical to the US version of the game. It's probably the same files with no active region flags. Shows up as "purchased" in the US eShop, and can be played on any user account.

Supposedly, Yacht Club decided to charge less in Mexico to benefit the (Mexican) consumer. Doing this might take money out of their pockets, if you care about that. But this is the third time I've bought this game so

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 8, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whoops, sorry. Must've been a pricing error, or they realized people were taking advantage of it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Isn't the MSRP for the RDS Industries case(s) supposed to be $19.99? The hard shell one that comes in plain black and a couple of Zelda designs. GameStop is charging $24.99 now, what the gently caress.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I moved my dock as high as I could reasonably put it without (a) blocking my TV and (b) opening it up to be hosed with by my cat. I don't have any Joy-Con issues now that it isn't beamforming through my thick wooden coffee table and its contents, and hadn't experienced any Pro controller issues beforehand. I hate Bluetooth and I hate wireless poo poo. Wifi is just OK like 15 years after the fact.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Consummate Professional posted:

I like the switch and I bet they just dicked up some optimization? Oh well maybe it can be patched.

They were too ambitious having every drat blade of grass adhere to the physics and lighting engines. It's what we get for habitually ruining grass and plants in Zelda games for nearly the past 30 years. Ironically, there's like no point in cutting the grass now. It's just there to gently caress up the frame rate. Oh, and to stand up to Link's head so you can't see poo poo thru your Sheikah Viewfinder Thing. Savage grass.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 9, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Why didn't the Switch come out on March 10th, tomorrow? It's Mario day, MAR10. Would that have been too corny? Too ironic since there are 0 MARIO games on it yet? Why is my phone still randomly autocorrecting Mario to all caps? Thanks, Mario Run.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lol but no really, if you live in a reasonably populated city, I'd just wait it out a few weeks for the hype to die down. Scalpers went crazy with anything Switch-related.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah, 3DS has a ton of themes. Speaking of themes, where the hell's Arcade Bunny at? Too lazy to redo over a thousand badges in HD?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kurtofan posted:

what's the next game on the horizon.

Next big game is Mario Kart 8 deluxe, late next month. Binding of Isaac next Friday, and a Splatoon 2 beta weekend after that. Puyo Puyo Tetris sometime in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I realized tonight that I was going the wrong way in Zelda and making it unnecessarily difficult for myself. I knew not to go straight to Ganon but today I wandered south of the plateau and things got way easier.

I love how even the English version of this has subtitles instead of voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTRUxzEl9U

The only thing I've had to go on in Zelda so far is temperature -- can Link little babby rear end survive this climate? No? Well, turn around then.

It seems like if you follow an unspecified but predetermined path, you'll pick up appropriate gear along the way. If you don't go in that order, the game becomes harder. I'm thinking it's east, northwest, southwest, northeast.

• Locked thread