Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Got my switch and my Zelda Special Edition and bought snipperclips.

It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My switch doesn't work.

Zelda crashes and gives an error screen.

I called Nintendo and they answered right away, no hold at all (amazing!) and were super professional.

They led me to a menu where my error codes live. I had 4. not a single one was listed in their log of possible error codes, and they weren't even in the right format!

The person I was speaking to was surprised and upset by this. Where are these codes coming from? Why am I the only one to report them ever and why aren't they in Nintendo Tech Support's own listings? Who knows.

I can't exchange Zelda because it's a special edition and the game box is not the same and no one has special editions to swap out.

They want me to send the system and game in for repair.

I wiped the system and am reinstalling everything. Hopefully the system update was just corrupted or something.

I did get to play about an hour of Zelda and it was awesome :smith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think framerate nerds might be just repurposed delusional audiophiles.

Zelda looks fantastic on my bigass TV.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Loopoo posted:

I don't want the Switch sitting in standby mode all the time even when I don't plan on using it for 12+ hours.
Why?

If you hold down the button a power menu pops up btw. But... Why?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My preordered switch is indeed borked.

Here's an awesome thing: I have to replay the first 3 hours of a Zelda game and I'm looking forward to it!

If anyone is still looking for a switch, I just ordered one from hhgregg, they still have both SKUs available for delivery on some areas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also, lots of talking about Zelda specifics ITT.

If I may,

KNOCK IT THE gently caress OFF !!

Spoiler tag everything or take it to the Zelda thread please.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BambooEarpick posted:

Switch buyers, have any of you had buyers remorse yet?

I probably have the most reason to be upset in the thread since I got a lemon console, but I'm just upset I'm not playing Zelda right now!

I ordered a new switch from hhgregg and I'm going to ToysRUs in the morning so hopefully at 10AM I will own three Nintendo Switches.

For about an hour till I return two of them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Standing in line at ToysRUs. They have a sign out front saying 15 Neon and 20 Grey, one per customer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

How long have you/ do you need to wait

Opens in one hour. I'm #3 in line, so I'm golden.

Then I have to wait another hour fur best buy next door to open so I can return my defective preorder

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nolgthorn posted:

Anyone not like zelda

Your mom is probably a very nice lady, and everybody likes Zelda

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

NES classic fiasco.
Was it?

Nintendo's corporate philosophy has always been that it's better to sell out than sell more but have unsold leftovers. The scarcity inherent in this approach also creates urgency which overstocked shelves do not.

I never got one either, and I would have if they were just sitting on the shelves week 1, but I'm not sure "fiasco" is the right word.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

Guys, my nintendo switch dock popped off the table and scratched my jugular, please call for helomkjdasvcz122222222222222222

I'm glad you were able to push POST after trailing off like that.

I have dispatched the Rescue Rangers to help you. There's no case too small!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

Please don't post Zelda spoilers outside of the Zelda thread.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rexroom posted:

Here's a Zelda spoiler for you: It's good.

That doesn't spoil anything. Also, understatement

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

But where is the ancient Sheikah train :confused:

I don't know but when I saw Linebeck Island on the map I made a small sound of delight.

Not really a spoiler, just an early game map label Easter egg thingy, but I am trying to be super good about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LethalGeek posted:

poo poo I might be done with Zelda by then

Lol

I can see "beating" it and making the credits roll, but done?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Zelda. I put some fruit on the ground to take a picture to track it. because I realized I didnt have to find one in the wild to take a picture of.

Yes! Then I put a lizard on the ground to do the same thing.

It ran away.

And was the only one in my inventory.

Game of the year.

:laffo: I wonder if it keeps track of if you shot it first or just snuck up on it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am listening to the soundtrack though, man this poo poo is great. I love piano.

I haven't opened the CD that came with my special edition because I am afraid of spoilers and et cetera

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
These pancakes have the wrong kind of RAM

syrup keeps desyncing

Butter not included (HIDDEN COSTS)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^thanks!

Cartoon Man posted:

It's like how when the Star Wars Ep 1 soundtrack came out two weeks before the movie, it had a track title called "The death of Qui Gon Jin".

This is precisely the sort of poo poo I'm worried about, and to a lesser extent reducing the impact of a cool new treatment of a classic song when it comes up in-game.

Track 7 - the fourth triforce
Track 8 - Calamity Groose

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Groose Amiibo (not) Confirmed!

Groose for Smash

Groose 4 Life

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there one? That might be the first amiibo I buy

There's not, but there's some rumor today of a registered but unreleased amiibo with a smash prefix possibly indicating a new DLC character or launch character for Smash 4 Switch

It will almost certainly not be Groose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a copy of Zelda Special Edition just sitting in the case at Walmart yesterday. Made mine feel less special.

Then I went home and played Zelda some more and it was awesome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reggie Fils-Aime posted:

We are aware of and have seen some of the reports. We're asking consumers a lot of questions. That's why we want to get consumers on our help line, so we can get as much information to understand the situation as possible. And so we are in a fact-finding mode, to really understand the situation and the scenarios. And with that information, we'll look and see what the next steps are.

I think this is the first they've acknowledged the problem.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Be courteous to real people because they are real people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be applying my first glass screen protector later this week, and while I do not disbelieve that the best results might come from a steamy bathroom I am left wondering:

doesn't moisture get in there? won't you have tiny water droplets caught in there instead of dust? Is it permeable enough for it to escape somehow?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

nevermind... apparently the few others sold and the buying thread is 2 pages deep with people putting their name in line to buy one... oh well

If they aren't in the switch thread they must not want one too badly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

The Switch is worth $200, maybe $203 tops

For 200 you can get a dock, a grip, and some joycon. The switch itself is apparently only worth about a hundred.

At one point I had over a thousand invested- I've bought three Switches, two Zeldas, snipperclips and an amiibo.

I've since returned a bad switch, had hhgregg implode my other order and returned my non special edition Zelda.

It was all worth it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

What in the actual gently caress
Well,
No, and that's a lovely joke.

I pre-ordered one (1) Nintendo Switch like a normal person. And Zelda. There were no pre-orders available for Special Edition.

Then an order became available for Special Edition so I pre-ordered it. I also (separately) ordered a pro controller. I kept the pre-order live for the regular game because it was on the same ticket as the system and I didn't want to mess with that.

Then I got my Switch (yay). Then it was broken (boo!) I could have sent it to Nintendo for "repair" but I preferred to get another one and then return it.

Found out that hhgregg had switches on their website, so I ordered one.(yay) Delivery in 7-10 days (boo)

Found out that ToysRUS was going to have Switches on Sunday so I waited in line for an hour and got one (yay)

Then I returned the original broken one to best buy (yay)

Then I called hhgregg to cancel my order (yay) but it turns out they didn't have them anyway (boo) but it didn't matter because I already had mine (yay)

Then I returned the extra copy of Zelda (yay)

Now I have a normal amount of everything. It was an exciting launch weekend. Not really in a good way. But now I have Zelda and Switch and it's good (yay)

Not really that insane, I think. Thanks for reading.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

Writing a ten-paragraph essay about it might be, tbh
:what: I spent a literal minute to write a post on a discussion board

Katana Gomai posted:

I still think you might have autism (yay)
Is this still not probatable? (boo)

Do you want to call me a racial slur and maybe a gay slur too? Go on, get it out of your system.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Autism confirmed.

Nope, still wrong. Not that it should matter. I am a mental health professional, though. I work with people who do have autism.

Common use of "autistic" as a slur is hate speech that dehumanizes and harms people just as surely as hate speech based on race or sexual orientation.

You shouldn't do it.

When you feel like posting a slur, you should probably log off and go enjoy your Nintendo Switch instead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Can I call people sperglords since Aspergers was removed from the DSMV?
That seems more about making fun of internet doofuses self-diagnosing than the real condition, so I'd say it's far less bad for a number of reasons (the actual group is less marginalized for example) but still not ideal.

It's still in the "bad" category for the same reason "retarded" is, though. It's not like that was in the DSMIV-TR or anything. Neither are most other slurs. It's about whether it harms people not a technical definition.

We should probably have a better word for what you're talking about, though. Grognard and Pedant don't always cover it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Dude just look at the guys rap sheet or post history and put him on ignore. You're feeding the troll and had you never responded to him the last few pages would be free of this poo poo.

I've never once used ignore in all these years and arguing with assholes is more for the benefit of onlookers than assholes. It's good to shun bad behavior wherever you see it.

I'm off the soapbox about this for now, though.

Play games. Enjoy your Switch.

Zelda is good. Can't wait for Splatoon2!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gyro feels more natural than mouse or stick.

Mouse feels... easy? cheap-o. Unengaging. Yup, there it is, click. Got it. It doesn't feel like you are connected or like physical skill is involved. I know it's more reliable and top-tier competitive and whatnot, but I'm talking about feel and fun, and it's very subjective and experiential.

I want my exciting game box plugged into my bigass TV and with a different input device from doing taxes.

Splatoon felt perfectly natural and like I was actually engaged in what was happening much more than clicking a mouse ever could for me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mouses are for playing LOOM and Monkey Island and are not fun and engaging for frenetic action.

But that's just, like, my opinion man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think anyone is going to convince the guy with the Splatoon av that Gyro isn't the best but whatever.

Well, you have the most perfect game of all time in your AV, but you still have some pretty poo poo opinions, so you'd know I guess. :v:

I realize it's subjective, but I think gyro aiming is the best (for me) because (for me) it's the most fun not efficient or accurate or whatever. Playing a shooter with a mouse just feels wrong and bad to me like playing street fighter with a keyboard or something. You might get better "results" but I play games for the experience more than for my accuracy % or whatever, and I just like controllers better than mouse/keyboard for anything but RTS and point-n-click SCUMM type games.

LethalGeek posted:

Console shooter people hate being reminded their games have to fix their aim.
The question is (or should be) whether it's fun.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You can drop bombs from the paraglider! :aaa:

:popeye:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is the amiibo scanning feature a once per 24 hours or once per day thing? As in, if I were to scan them all at 11:50PM could I then rescan them all at 12:01AM? I'm asking for a friend (my amiibo collection is my only friend).

Definitely not once per calendar day. Once per rolling 24 hours but I swear it seems like even that isn't enough. I haven't done any actual testing, though now I might.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

hey guys

the switch is still good

:yeah:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

I mean, with the exception of the main quest and anything with voice acting lol. But yea everything else rules.

It all seems perfectly fine to me so far. I really don't know what the complaints are unless it's some weeaboo garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Can confirm. Visit stables to learn more.

I've registered three horses but never ridden around on one. I love running and climbing too much to bother

• Locked thread