Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can drop bombs from the paraglider! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A patch dropped for Bomberman that's supposed to fix the input lag.

It doesn't.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

Why wouldn't you just rest your fingers on the actual buttons???

Nonstop death grip and/or not enough hand dexterity to move thumbs and fingers separately from each other. Same deal as people who can't use thumbsticks without clicking them in every time they move them.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Shovel Knight is the only "retro inspired" type game I've played that actually feels retro. It takes a few liberties, but it really feels like you're playing a previously unreleased late life cycle NES game or something.

It has a few Nintendo Hard segments, but doesn't get frustrating because there are tons of checkpoints and no life limit.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mahoning posted:

How do you handle analog trigger usage in games like Super Mario Sunshine if you're using the Switch Pro Controller that has digital triggers? You're literally completely changing the gameplay.

I know that's only one example but it's also Nintendo's #1 franchise so it's kind of important to think about.

Make the right trigger a full press and map the halfway down position to the left bumper, a button that didn't exist on Gamecube.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fuligin posted:

No wireless headphone support is some weak poo poo

Don't wireless headphone transmitters plug into a regular 3.5mm jack like normal, or did they somehow go out of their way to make it not work like they did with USB-C to HDMI cables?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hear me out here... Tecmo Bowl HD. Same play style as the NES. But modern graphics.

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the announcement back in February. It's perfect for the Switch. A Virtual Console release would be okay but I'd rather have a new game with made up names than the NES ROM with all of the names stripped out.

Sell it as a 2-in-1 cart with Ice Hockey HD and maybe have a 6 Joy-Con mode.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

guys, what adapters do I need to order to use my atari lynx power supply with my switch

a man said he's going to kill my entire family if use the power supply that comes in the box

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

you're not slamming it hard enough, it took me at least a dozen tries to get some quarter inch fine scratches on the very edge of the bezel

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My only complaint about Zelda's weapon system is that you can't keep attacking after your weapon breaks to finish off an enemy by punching him in the face.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Playtonic really couldn't figure out that Jontron was a racist goofball from his bizarre rants where he yelled "NIGGERS!" on Game Grumps years ago? It was tweeting that pushed things over the edge?

I LOVE Neo Turf Masters but I'll wait for confirmation that it doesn't have horrible input/sound lag like Metal Slug 3.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

When i can i play this splatoon game in UK GMT time also are these squids related to the squids from super mario bros for the nes. What is the deep lore for this rich expanded universe?

Even though I'm in the US it pisses me off that they can't figure out how to give times in UTC for a Global Testfire event. Especially when they scheduled it for a day where DST has only started in some regions.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gyro aiming is the best thing to happen to console shooters since the addition of a second analog stick.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This game owns!

(I can post this while playing because I am playing Switch on my second PC monitor like a dork.)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What determines who dies when two splat rollers plow into each other?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The mind tricks have worked. I have ordered Splatoon 2.

The year is 2017 and Nintendo is the company that has revived arena shooters. The gently caress?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's no gyro invert option in Splatoon 2 either but at this point I'm willing to accept the fact that I'm a hosed up freak. It takes me a few minutes to adjust every time I pick up the controller but it's still good as hell.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hold the joycon upside down :D

I actually did this for a couple of matches but it makes respawning weird. :(

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Seriously why is "aim the direction you rotate the controller to" not an option, yet alone the default?

Adapting to holding the controllers upside down isn't hard, but it sure is a weird oversight.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FWIW Splatoon 2 is also the first console shooter I've played where I haven't turned look sensitivity up to maximum and not wished that I could increase it 300% more. Apart from being inverted the range of motion feels really natural right out of the box.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

get you a mouse that can do both

seriously though i know it varies by game but having your mouse sensitivity so low that you need to pick up and move the mouse is pretty :psyduck: to me

Logitech thumbshelf mice are unusable to me because I plant my thumb in place on the desk as a reference point and move the mouse with just my fingertrips. 1 inch of movement = 3 complete turns is how I've set up my sensitivity since Doom II. If i want to make smaller movements, I move my hand less.

Splatoon is the first console shooter I've ever played where I can concentrate on the actual game instead of just thinking TURN FASTER TURN FASTER TURN FASTER.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

My friend who owns an actual Big Tournament Golf arcade board confirms no input lag and perfect sound.

Welp I went ahead and bought the game and the sound is garbage.

The controls work perfectly but the sound is completely screwed up in these emulators still.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

What's wrong with it? Genuinely curious, so I can bring it up

There's a huge delay. Like, to the point that playing with the sound turned on is kind of disorienting.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hopefully there'll eventually be a third party Switch mouse for people to get super butthurt over.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Loopoo mentions putting the money from his Switch toward something else until it's time to buy another one, so I think I know his type and have known several people like this in real life. They view any money they have as "wasted because it's just sitting around", as if life is some sort of real-time strategy game. On payday, they budget for rent, groceries, etc. then get on Amazon and spend a few hours shopping so they can blow the exact amount of whatever is left on their paycheck. Then the same logic of something "going to waste" get applied to all of the poo poo they own too, so it turns into a nonstop, futile cycle of selling and buying everything in the hope that they can achieve the ideal allocation of assets for that particular second of their lives.

$700 in savings... better buy a Switch and a bunch of slow cookers so I can sell them over the next 17 months to buy toilet paper so it doesn't go to waste!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Don't act your circle of friends doesn't have "that slow cooker guy" who always has 8-12 really nice slow cookers but every time you go over to his house they are completely different models.

If you ever get stuck in line at the checkout behind somebody who has a cart filled with seemingly random junk and once they are up there they start picking out items to put back until their total matches a specific amount of money they have with them, this is what they are doing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My Pro controller has completely replaced my 360 controller for PC gaming and it's good as hell.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

The Wii U version runs slightly better due to optimizations for that specific console, so

so buy three switches, sell two of them to buy a wii u and a zojirushi rice cooker, sell those but only for 8 months

and presto! it's kirby!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

32 GB of mask ROM costs like $2. It might be WB being lovely to their customers or it might be Nintendo price gouging for carts, but somebody is being a huge gently caress.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

But the switch doesn't have analog triggers.

Neither does my keyboard. The lack of analog triggers isn't a huge deal since you spend so much time in the air anyway.

EpicNemesis posted:

Is there a way to create a second profile but have it sit silently in the background so I don't have to choose which profile I want to use when booting a game? Like, I want to keep my primary profile as the one games default to without asking, but I also want more profiles for Zelda saves/other* estores.

System Settings -> Users -> Skip Selection Screen

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

only seems to work if you don't have another user account set up? not 100% sure, but it's not showing for me with 2 users on the system

It took me almost a week of owning my Switch to find that option, so now I'm wondering if it's on a time delay or something to mess with people.

You're probably right but I assumed otherwise because I can bring up the manual user selection screen even with one user. Weird to make the opposite not work.

Edit: You're correct, the option disappears if you make another user. WTF, Nintendo?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 29, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's weird that the Neo Geo games have access to all of those options and even region selection but not the ability to run the game in home console mode.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Metal Slug needs online.

I will buy literally the entire series if that's a feature because Metal Slug is amazing. Except the one that doesn't let you play as Tarma. That one sucks.

Tarma for life.

Worst characters, worst gameplay, best soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkG3CmsJ9w8

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's not a gray area at all, Nintendo just seems to think that if they pretend that it is for long enough that their wishes we be willed into existing as law.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

people who are super anti-piracy are weirdos

My fav is when people are super anti-piracy even for out of print games and act like buying a copy used isn't the exact same thing as piracy at that point.

well why not posted:

There won't be a Switch emulator for quite some time. The Wii U emulator is very advanced because the Wii / GC / Wii U family is fairly closely related. Switch is a different beast so it'll be different.

It's different, but it's also really normal off the shelf stuff this time around. Even if emulators are way off, it wouldn't surprise me to see "cracked" games modified and repackaged to run on non-Nintendo hardware.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i like it when they add some value to purchasing games instead of just downloading an nes rom off the internet and then telling us to pay for it

something as simple as sticking a front end with global leaderboards over balloon fight would be super fun

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Back when I pirated stuff, it wasn't about money OR morals, it was because it was a superior service. It was a choice between driving 45 minutes to the game store or just staying home and downloading.

Funny that now that everything can be downloaded legitimately, I'm going as physical as possible this round because of Amazon Prime.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i just used my switch pro controller to play neo turf masters on my pc after buying it for switch, eat a dick nintendo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Let's rock out to more Metal Slug music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrKMkOpQ2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Hamster please fix the Neo Geo Audio. Thank you.

Neo Geo is loaded with games that are perfect for Switch's portable multiplayer, though. Twinkle Star Sprites, Puzzle Bobble, Samurai Shodown, etc.

• Locked thread