Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

So wait, is it a thing that people think this is a soulless cash grab? Despite it being an episodic series infamously left without conclusion and its creator saying the whole point of this is to give the show a proper ending because it's fans deserve that much? A series whose original intent was to push artistic animation over marketable animation?

Huh.

Honestly TVIV is the only place I've seen this amount of cynicism in.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No, but this is pretty different from how Jack handled robots before -- without fanfare or expounding on honorable samurai ethics. It's not about sparing the robot or not but how they get destroyed this time around.

I think it's intentional why they added the Horror movie-style music when Scaramouche's head pops off. Jack is more of a killer than a samurai at this point, and I think that's going to be even more explicit in the next episode, not to mention the shadowy samurai-figure in his hallucinations.

Jack was always comically nonreactive (until it came time to use the sword), but I think the difference is that originally Jack acted out in a Japanese-style politeness. Now it's more of a quiet "I loving hate you".

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Despite there being almost no Samurai Jack merch, it still somehow got two lovely licensed games while it was running - one for the GBA and one for the PlayStation 2. This almost sounds like the start of a goon project.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think the series is going to be "Breaking Bad but with swords" dark, but things do seem building up to some sort of bittersweet ending. I'm thinking either Jack and Aku mutually destroy each other and/or Jack never makes it back home.

It's funny that the series might have had a happier ending if it ended when it was supposed to years ago. I originally wasn't into the jokes about Jack's guilt being over the death/cancelation of his series, but it was hard not to think of that when Young Jack talked about wanting just an ending, any ending, even suicide.

Edit: That said, Aku better be super loving dead by the end of this. People didn't wait over ten years for Jack to not beat Aku.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Funky Valentine posted:

Jack will go back to the past, realize the past was lame, and then go back to the sick-rear end future and hang out with Scotsman.

Ah, so the plot to Jak and Daxter 2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't remember this. I thought it was forged by three gods. I remember Odin or Thor hammering it. I suspect if a new sword is made "from Jack", then it won't be going to Jack.

At the beginning of that scene, the gods extract a part of Jack's father's soul, then they hammer it into the sword. They give a speech about how only a righteous human spirit can defeat evil and all that, which is the recurring theme of the series. Ultimately there is no question that Jack destroys Aku in a straight up fight, which is why he's holed up and become a hikki.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

So I here's something odd: On my first watch, I noticed Jack's skin tone is more peach and less yellow than in the original run but I dismissed it as "Okay, that probably has an associative subtext they'd want to avoid, I get it."
But my second time through and I'm not sure that's the case. Both his parents had a very yellow skin tone in their river appearance and I can't be positive due to the ambient color, but Jack looked like he had his old pale yellow coloring in the scene where he lost his sword.

Phone posting, so I'll use someone else's else's image.

The heck?

It's so deliberate that I'm wondering if the reasoning is something as simple as not wanting yellow skin with black armor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr. Fowl posted:

I wonder if maybe getting someone entirely different wouldn't have been better.

He's not bad, but the imitation makes the difference all the more apparent. Sort of like trying to wear two pieces of clothing that seem to be the same color--only they're not quite so the difference sticks out more.

There was a pre-release interview where Genndy mentions seriously considering that option (or the other option, making Aku into some sort of silent character) before they went gently caress it and decided to go with an impression. It's the final season, you can't radically change or write out Aku in the last ten episodes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Chokes McGee posted:

I'll be honest with you, I just thought the original guy was rusty from picking the role back up. It's pretty good, doesn't really jar me because the less harsh voice fits the "meh gently caress it" attitude he has now.

I don't think the direction they went with Aku's growing apathy was thought up of coincidentally. It works as a way to explain Aku having less appearances, compared to the original series where Aku would often be the one with the most lines per episode.

Of course maybe I'm completely wrong and one of the upcoming episodes is this season's equivalent of Aku's Fairy Tales.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean we saw in the first episode that the kids were prevented from seeing any of the outside world at all, when Ashi sneaks a peek. It makes sense that they don't know what a deer is.

The deer being absurdly cute is a nice touch.

edit: it's not something that's kept up but I liked the creepy shot of the Daughters swimming sideways so that their masks are always facing the camera, like Aku's face.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tunicate posted:

I think jack will go back in time and defeats aku, though not neccesarily in that order.

I'm hoping that killing Aku in the past will cause the Aku in the future to blow up on the spot, just so that everyone can get their happy ending without people complaining about time travel casualty I don't care if it doesn't make sense.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure the horseman must be some aspect of Jack because it always appears with the rest of Jack's hallucinations (Ghost Dad, Ghost Mom, Ghost Young Jack). Blue Jack is a weird combination of guilt, honor, and... wanting to give up?

Slime posted:

That actually brings up a good point. The horseman looks scary, and the antlers have made people think of Aku, but this episode made a point of showing that just because something has antlers doesn't mean it's associated with Aku or evil. The same probably holds true for this spectre.

Also Samurai Jack is extremely color coded and the colors of Aku (black, red, or green) generally mark something as evil or dangerous.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I always got the vibe Aku either allowed or participated in the slaughter of most of humanity., since we don't really see that many humans and he had to make room for all those aliens and robots somehow.

I mean most civilizations probably didn't give themselves over to their new Overlord of Darkness voluntarily. Beyond (failing) at samurai-killing that's what the army of robots is for.

Hypocrisy posted:

Aku killed a lot of people/cursed people to terrible fates so...no. Let's keep the idea of Aku redemption in the garbage bin along with Jack dying.

Agreed. Even if Jack could for some reason get over Aku burning down Japan, Aku has just done so much poo poo over god knows how long. It would be the weirdness of forgiving Darth Vader times a million.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Megaspel posted:

Yeah I think the main thing about Ashi is that she's going to pose a moral quandary to Jack that he has not yet passed. She is a victim of Aku just as much as anyone else, and pitting her against Jack is an extension of that.

I don't care about Ashi, I care about Jack.

The only character I have enough emotional investment to accept being of such importance is the Scotsman. Scotsman/Jack forever.

Regalingualius posted:

Quoting for reference just in case. :v:

(Really, though, I wouldn't want romance between them, but I could see a mutual respect developing by the time of the finale).

Respect is one thing but this is like wanting Joel to hook up with Ellie. (Or, uh, if you really want to follow the Mad Max vibe Furiosa).

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 28, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Slime posted:

Counterpoint: Jack never passes up an opportunity to tear his clothes off and just run around in underwear.

Oh yeah, everyone should have realized the daughters were doomed when he lost his hat/helmet and his clothes.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Seriously though there were a handful of memorable female character that had very unique visual representation in the original series. Ikra, the Bounty Hunter and Butterfly Princesses, Scottsman's Wife, and Josephine all come to mind

Also there is actually justification for the daughters looking all the same, they are literally whatever-tuplets.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure I'd call it a Male Power Fantasy because does Jack ever do anything that a female character couldn't do? I agree it'd be great if media had better representation of empowered female leads, but I don't think Samurai Jack is a problem, it's just the aggregate of media, and most other stories of this type would have included plenty of "Jack Getting the Woman", which this show doesn't.

Jack never saw his childhood crush ever again. :smith:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't know if I agree with those criticisms specifically, but I definitely don't agree with "no criticisms allowed" (or, above on this page, "if you try to look at things through a feminist lens you must be broken and/or trolling").

Samurai Jack is legit a work of art, and as such deserves to be considered seriously. It's a great show, but as Tartakovsky said in an interview someone linked earlier in the thread, "I don’t think of myself as a 47-year-old with a mortgage and three kids, I think of myself as a virile young 25". And there's no way that's not going to be reflected in the show, for better and worse. (For instance, "gotta get back, back to the past" takes on a much more relatable meaning in that light than it originally had.)

Normally I don't like shooting down discussion in threads (and threads that are just "this thing was cool/how cool was that thing" are bad), but those criticisms are legit terrible. Not every woman bleeding has to be a period metaphor.

TVIV doesn't deserve Samurai Jack.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Samurai Jack: There was a FORESKIN here. It's gone now.

Jack repressing his bloody childhood memories is a metaphor for the trauma of early male circumcision.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, Jack is at least mentally ill.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my god.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PhazonLink posted:

How do we know the wolf is real, could have been a Jack's is bleeding out hallucination which means Jack killed that animal while acting like a wolf.

Honestly I was thinking the entire blue bleeding out sequence was a dream because of how freaky it was until the moment the wolf brought him chicken. Dreams can't come up with chicken.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghost Jack is the best new character so far.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm actually a fan of this theory. Thank you for the interesting write up!

I just caught up to the end of this thread and wanted to chime in. In regards to past discussion about Samurai Jack and putting ladies in skin-tight battle suits, I'm fairly sure being sexist or using the septuplets as eye candy wasn't the goal of the show, so I'm going to have good faith in this show until I see something more egregious or if they use the 'bitch' word. So far the Daughters of Aku are being set up as intense, fearsome, but also tragically sheltered individuals by the show itself, and it seems like the show is devoted to making them (or at least just Ashi who may be just the sole remaining assassin) interesting character(s). And that's a pretty feminist/progressive goal right there, so I'm happy so far. Feel free to quote me though if it turns out that Ashi turns into pure fanservice later on.

I'm looking forward to the next episode of Samurai Jack, because it reminds me of the time that Jack went inside a farting dragon whose farts where so bad that it was killing a town. God, I loved that episode. :allears:

No one's talked about the episode teaser much, I guess because it's so non-indicative this time. The blacklight effect on those weird swimming animals did seem familiar to various previous episodes, though they're probably just returning to it because it looks cool. (It's almost not worth noting when this show looks cool because of course it does).

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 4, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
In less than twelve hours this thread will finally have something to actually talk about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Jack is just completely resigned to being batshit insane.

edit:

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 9, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Covok posted:

I do love that Aku is going insane as well. He's also talking to himself and feeling existential dread.

I think you mean malaise.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo, needle rain? There's something I'm sure will make it into my nightmares now.

I said what the gently caress out loud at that part.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

Well they looked quite dead, and their writhing in pain didn't help. But really you can chalk it up to Jack's PTSD. This was just the straw that broke the camel's samurai's back.

Yeah, his reaction was obviously more traumatized than anything else.

Hell I'm traumatized too, between the Scotsman and the kids' fakeout.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Seems pretty obvious Jack's following Samurai Grim Reaper to take himself out of the picture, since he's snapped at the thought that his ongoing existence is causing net suffering because he'll never defeat Aku but by his struggling against Aku innocent people are being harmed. The whole "they chose their path" justification he used when fighting the Daughters has fallen apart as he's gotten to know Ashi and it's obvious they never really had a choice and then those alien children are forced to attack him too, whether they were actually alive at the end wasn't as important as the traumatic thought that he's the catalyst for their suffering. We saw the armoured suit guy explain they'd deliberately chosen to use children, knowing Jack wouldn't be able to fight back, so at least a few people have figured out Jack's real weakness by now.

It's a little ironic that this is being done in Aku's name and Aku himself probably has no idea. He hardly even seems to care. Aku's evil empire is self-maintaining in a way that's somehow even more grinding than if Aku had personally directed these latest attempts to kill Jack. It sort of drives home the futility of Jack's resistance that he isn't even threatening Aku anymore. At the same time, Ashi is learning the opposite lesson, and by seeing the children survived (who obviously parallel her experience) then resistance against Aku is possible after all.

This is a very good analysis, and puts Scaramouche casually destroying a village back in the first episode in a new light. Scaramouche even pointed out that the trick's been done before.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

I never played it, is this actually from the PS2 game?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rhonne posted:

So what was that thing that told Ashi where to find Jack? The one after she left the bar.

Yeah based on context I assume it's someone from a previous episode but she's the only one I don't recognize.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe if someone caught the voice actress of the blue eyed girl she would be easier to identify? The only guess that I kinda lean towards is that her silhouette resembles the Lionmen hunters/Imakandi (which would also explain her knowledge of how to find Jack), but I'm starting to think her identity will be spelled out later. So far this show has been very direct at answering things that are brought up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Unless he's able to tell Aku in a later episode, his bits were pointless.

That's 100% what's going to happen.

There is also no chance he isn't going to get instant gibbed by Aku as soon as it happens. That's kind of Aku's thing. (Maybe he gets too insistent about being restored to #1 assassin?)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Bobulus posted:

What was the episode which opened with Jack fighitng some aliens on flying bug robot things? He saved some, like, chipmunk looking aliens in like five minutes, then walked away and the rest of the episode happened. I was assuming the cloaked creature was one of those chipmunk aliens.

I don't think that was the Arabian-theme episode mentioned above.

That's Jack Remembers the Past (which is particularly relevant to themes of the new series, come to think of it). The other thing about that intro is that's where that shot of cats riding on robot grasshoppers in the opening comes from.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gaunab posted:

Bunch of sourpusses in this thread.

I've been 100% on board every single episode of this series and am basically the exact target demographic for it to sink its claws into the nostalgia-desiring sectors of my brain, but this episode was a stinker.

nerdbot posted:

It's a shame the romance stuff was so... present. Because the monster was cool as gently caress and I am so there for what basically amounted to a Samurai Jack episode set in a Metroid game

That was otherwise nnnnottttt goooooddddd. Even without how hamhanded it was, what was the point? Was any of this really worth spending one of our ten episodes on?

But it's not one of the good Metroids, this is the Samurai Jack equivalent of Other M. As soon as Jack said out loud "This must be a jail cell" I knew having someone for Jack to talk to was a horrible mistake.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I realize I'm not even complaining about the episode for the same reasons as everybody else (I mean I don't like it, chiefly because Ashi just isn't a deep enough character to get this much screentime, but I kinda accepted it as inevitable ever since Ashi regularly started getting framed with "alluring" eyes), I am legit bummed out at how lame the desert/spaceship exploration was compared to how the original series would have done it.

Jack having to explain every single room as he comes across it. Every single room having an obvious spelled out purpose to begin with. Bad pacing because every single scene is skipped over for the sake of a lame chase scene. Aaaaagh.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

nerdbot posted:

I don't feel like either of them are quite right. I guess this episode isn't exactly the best way to gauge it but it feels like all of Jack's development over this season got trimmed off along with his beard, and he's just 100% fine and back to how he was in the original series except now also ready to gently caress

It was the Toonami thread (which is now frozen lol) that pointed this out, but part of the whiplash is how hard the episode's depiction of Jack has to go against pretty much the entire rest of the series.

Jack is portrayed as some sort of Immortal Samurai Jesus who could take down the MEGABEETLEBOT, but now he can barely fight off some worms even with Ashi killing half of them?

SirKibbles posted:

Shows always seem to do this, GoT does, Korra did it. If you only have like 8 episodes please don't waste an entire one on romance and screw up your plot pacing as a result.

I'm just gonna say even a hosed up relationship is way more appropriate and less out of place in those shows than Samurai Jack.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

I'm remembering some weeks back when that second episode premiered and how I was just floored at the quality. The cinematography, the choreography, the pacing, the backgrounds, the music. I watched it several times and admired everything that went into it. How cool is it to do this tier of quality in a TV show, where you don't have the constraints of a movie? You can develop better characters, deeper atmosphere and take the time to build suspense without worrying about wrapping up the plot in 90 minutes. And all the cool, meditative, artistic shots can fit in with room to spare for comedic scenes. gently caress, this is great!

And then here we are. :geno:

Normally I don't get how goons turn on things in order to go "hot take: X was never good :smuggo:", I'm actually feeling this myself. :(

I believe I have some rationale for it though, since establishing a relationship this early means it's almost certainly going to play a part in the finale in a really stupid way. Something like Ashi hanging off of one cliff, while Aku is dangling off another.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Were you people all former Zutara shippers or something. Ashi is an adult. So is Jack. Nothing ever suggested he was anything but heterosexual before. The whole premise of Jack and Ashi was based on Genndy's original childhood conception of Samurai Jack, where he and a girlfriend wandered a post apocalyptic wasteland.

I don't know how you could read any of the posts of the last page or two and come out thinking it must be that people are upset Jack didn't hook up with his real equal, the Scotsman .

Edit: oh yeah, come to think of it there actually a thing about people complaining about Aang being too immature wasn't there. I think the problem with that came from Katara being written too old for her age if anything.

mycot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Eh, it was a bit clunky to spend a whole episode on just this, and in such a silly "whoops, they're naked, how awkward!" way, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about them being in a relationship. The slight goofiness actually made it feel more like an old Samurai Jack episode, it seems like being restored and regaining his sword made Jack act a lot more like his original self instead of the world-weary apocalyptic survivor he was for most of the season. In fact, the whole premise of wandering into some random monster by chance was a lot more like an original Samurai Jack episode, and if this were a full-length season or a full "however many seasons we want" revival I'd say it would've fit in fine.

I was super on board a regular monster-of-the-week samurai Jack episode after the rest of the season​, but then the monster fight was lame. :( I really think this episode is just not up to par in every aspect.

• Locked thread