Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"My Persona is a motorcycle. Your argument is invalid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think if people on tumblr were mad about this, i would very much agree with them and empathize with their pain and frustration, especially coming from a series that literally had a gay romance on the ps1.

And Yusuke is practically Jun with a paintbrush! It makes you despair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So Morganna is actually male? Do cats not know how names work

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Bugs Bunnybot was still delightful even if the concept was played to death.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just want to hear Laura Bailey in everything and I'm sad that she seems to have dialed back her roles lately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sheesh, yeah, I finally got around to looking up the English cast and either I'm still mentally stuck in the early oughts or this is just a rogues' gallery of nobodies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would you rate it as better, worse, or about the same overall relative to the P4 english?

The Japanese voice work means nothing to me because gently caress, it's not like I have any meaningful way to tell if it's a good performance anyway.

Same, more or less. There are definitely Japanese VA's that get on my nerves but unless the voice is so high-pitched and screechy it can crack glass I'm not really able to differentiate past that.

Though there are still performances that are more memorable than others. Kenji Utsumi as the main villain in the anime Kemonozume was loving incredible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Laphicet's English VA had a powerful lisp, as well. Maybe it's just an enunciation thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know what would be better, Morganna drowning us in cat puns or carefully and deliberately eschewing them because he's not your god damned dancing circus bear

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Morgana is a Magic Crime Cat who I can watch movies with and who smokes a cigar in a bond villain chair after an All Out Attack. I can't think of anything else I could really need to know or care about in light of all that.

He is very skilled, and powerful, and you cannot defeat him in a race.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I will never be over how P3's artbook had a dev comment basically saying that Ken's entire character was based around his tiny pants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yosuke was a skeeze in P4 but I think that was a combination of him being written as kind of brash and insensitive combined with the medium's generally juvenile views towards sexuality, especially at the time. Even now a lot of Japanese games can't resist using gay people as a punchline, etc etc

It was annoying how most of the spinoffs turned the cast into caricatures of themselves but for Yosuke it was hilarious because he spends his entire life silently screaming at how often he shoves his foot in his mouth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
P4 was better than P3 in many ways but holy hell were the S. Links one of the toppers.

I liked most of the P4 links outside of band class but wouldn't want to spend a short elevator ride with like half of the P3 ones. The old shopkeepers were sweet, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JackDarko posted:

Should I expect to have the MC's Persona not be poo poo after a couple of hours? I really loved Izanagi's design in Persona 4 so was bummed out with how useless he was.

Since P3 the pattern has been for starting Personas to be quickly disposable trash and then come roaring back as a plot point/NG+ exclusive, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Heard all the dub voices and they sound generally fine, weird pronunciations aside, with some standouts (Makoto and the new Igor yes I went there).

So long as they overact like hell at crucial moments and can generally read lines like natural human speech I'm satisfied.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Is someone actually going to post the tweets of these terrible translations or not

Twitter is a sea of dipshits so I'm sure not going to go looking for them myself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I will never not be irritated by that "make every statement an interrogative" poo poo that Kids These Days do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Atlus JP are a buncha jokahs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74143 is what I'm using.

It's spoiler free and tells you what to do on a day by day basis in one line, while also reminding you that you should have certain Personas of certain Arcanas when trying to level up certain relationships.

Bluhhh, mix/maxing my videogame social life was one thing I didn't miss. How strict is this compared to P3 and P4?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Did they change Igor's voice actor for the dub as well? The Japanese one is weirding me the gently caress out. I mean, I know they had to recast him since the original actor died, but man, this new voice is super jarring.

His dub voice is changed, yes. Way deeper.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This desperate spoiler lockdown is all anyone will ever talk about regarding Persona 5.

Good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

How come Morgana sounds like a little boy

Because he is a male, and a cat, and tiny

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I always had the impression that Morganna was a deliberate contrast from Teddie in that he is just a Cat who is also a Person and he is there to Get poo poo Done and not dance for your trivial amewsement you impurrdent swine

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MoaM posted:

How do you fix the Japanese Audio not being....music tracks for every voice?...

Laughing like a maniac on the train home now everyone thinks I'm a terrorist thanks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

It will take months, but the western public will decide who wins the battle between baal and I on makoto

You have my sword numerous filthy little teeth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Immediate impressions - sound balance seems a little screwy. Or maybe I just want the music to be louder.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I hate this school and everyone in it, and their stupid plaid pants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ntan1 posted:

I'm still probably the only person who is really unhappy about the font/typesetting in English, but it seriously stands out to me. All of the other menus/UI design is so very stylish, but then they decide to use Verdana/Arial for all of the English text.

Like, look at the Japanese text. The font they use is way more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIFkomJJNU&t=399s

Looks like ordinary kanji to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ntan1 posted:

It's very small but noticeable, there is a weight to the font in that the bottom strokes/parts of characters are slightly heavier. The curves of the font also have balance to them.

Basically, I've worked with UX folks a bit in software, and this is the sort of thing UX designers drool over.

Good thing I'm not one of them, because none of the text looks off to my eyes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All of the weird lines seem to be from the first two hours or so. It loosens up considerably after that from what I've seen so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The localisation seems fine to me, but maybe it's because I'm just not expecting the characters to use perfect grammar when speaking

If anything most of cludgy parts are because the grammar is too good. The syntax is all proper and lines up well enough but not in a way that resembles natural speech.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I find it hilarious and also upsetting that the first penis monster you fight solely targets Ann

I encountered an Incubus in an early tutorial fight and I'm pretty sure he called me "clown-shoes"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
New Igor is better than old Igor pass it on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The script missteps aside I haven't heard a single off-tone voice so far, which is nice considering that the cast seems to mainly consist of Atlus' up-and-comers. Ryuji always sounds like he's ready to slug someone, which is appropriate. The Chin That Walks is basically Ian Sinclair's Space Dandy without the roguish charm. My perpetually tired homeroom teacher is nice. Igor good. Only the twins sound a little stilted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caidin posted:

I find it interesting that Igor never seems to be quite sure what kind of room he's getting with the next guest but he had still two assistants ready to play good cop/bad cop.

well, :geno: cop and :argh: cop anyway.

I like to think he always shows up a little bit in advance of the owner waking up and let the twins fill in for his assistants this time because Caroline really really wanted to hit things with a stick.

e: like whenever the protag's not around she just runs around the perimeter of the place smacking on the bars, it's maddening, where's Theodore and his distractingly perfect hair when you need him

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

Christ man

The hell is wrong with that

e: I guess "murderous intent" is one of those lazily translated stock phrases but the rest is fine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

God drat I forgot this character even existed.

Poor Shinji, upset a kid in hotpants and died

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

I can see why people liked ai in p4 is that was what they were comparing to

He also basically gets to know you by trying to sell you Amway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean that unironically, I'm glad that this team of Lupins and Robin Hoods has a support network of equally sketchy but still ultimately decent human beings supporting them, it makes the story a lot stronger and makes me want to do all the S-Links for more than just completion's sake or a reward.

Yeah, for all of P5's little pratfalls in the script so far it's done a really good job of establishing the protag and his friends as people who have in various ways been left down and left behind by "proper" society and are forming their own little niche in that shadow.

Also Morgana's English VA is adorable and I want to pinch his little cheeks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really preferred punny fun times Teddie to endless horndogbear Teddie and I doubt Morgana is the type to get up to any of the latter nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Pretty much, yeah. All the bitching about bitching makes me think there's something to it. Actually, it's one of the reasons I'm waiting on more impressions and not immediately diving into the game.

There are definitely a bunch of early lines that are really awkward and stilted but it does seem to ease up as soon as Ryuji enters the picture, and even the clunkiest lines are still acted with conviction, which takes a lot of the edge off.

It's only irritating for me because this was such a self-inflicted error on Atlus JP's part. There was no real reason for them to meddle as much as they did.